Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

mutata posted:

Haha ok whatever dude. I know people personally who work at Bioware, but sure, call me the troll.

fwiw I like you morning musume inspired avatar but seriously it's like you're asking for the guy to be hanged because he's sick of seeing a studio coasting on its past successes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Andrast posted:

Anthem does seem way more competent than FO76.

Anthem will probably just be mediocre and get ok sales (so a total failure in EA's eyes since everything needs to do fortnite numbers)

Competence isn't always a selling point, Fallout had a big name and a big marketing push.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I enjoyed f76 more than the anthem demo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Competence isn't always a selling point, Fallout had a big name and a big marketing push.

Does Anthem not have a big marketing push?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 4, 2019

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

I like FFXIV but I like MMOs. Don't trick people who like normal video games into buying it.

I hate MMOs but I think ff14 is good tho

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Enkmar posted:

The game looks really loving uninspired, but this level of concern trolling is somehow even more uninspired
mutata works in gaming and has been hosed over by layoffs before

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This is one anthem I won’t stand up for :smuggo:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Enkmar posted:

The game looks really loving uninspired, but this level of concern trolling is somehow even more uninspired

"Concern trolling" lmao good one do "virtue signaling" next :haw:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

That ship sailed like 8 years ago. It even came back around with parody simulations then back into realistic satirical simulations. poo poo there's a horror game out about cleaning a haunted house and the best choice is to sweep the floor then gtfo.

in that case the next new hotness will be: microtransactions for every input and button press

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

The gaming community

Fair enough, the chunk of the gaming community that tries/pretends to not be shitheads.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
it must be blowing your mind how consumers are more concerned about the quality of a product than some unnamed strangers job security

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 4, 2019

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No, that makes total sense, which is why it's so bizarre to me to see someone go "Yeah, I really hope that game sucks real bad." See how that doesn't make any sense?

lol if you think I'm arguing that people have to love games that are bad. I've explained myself more than clearly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wake me up when robots have replaced all human labor so I can celebrate the downfall of corporations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I, a concerned gamer, am very concerned by the quality of Anthem, and not some unnamed stranger's job security. That is why I cap off my post about how I hope it bombs so that Bioware will be closed down.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Enkmar posted:

it must be blowing your mind how consumers are more concerned about the quality of a product than some strangers job security

That's not what I literally said, no.

But it is pretty much what I'm getting at. The job security of strangers is only important when they're making a video game I want to buy.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/The_Lucbomber/status/1092135696305799168

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Sometimes your dev team releases a hall mark game, against which all other games in the genre are judged.

Sometimes your dev team releases some middling nonsense, that goes on sale for $5 in a months time

Don't wish ill on the devs down in the bullpen tho.
Blame upper management for micro-managing that nonsense to hell!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Enkmar posted:

yea mutata is the one guy you can't accuse of concern trolling, he was part of a shuttered studio that was closed for no fault of the devs. so i can understand emotions run hot for him about this topic

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Disney really hosed up Disney Infinity, yeah (along with any other developers they worked with while they temporarily invested in games.)

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody is hoping for the game to suck, we already know it will.

People want it to fail because that means the "gaming community" or whatever is becoming less susceptible to bullshit. And when people stop voting for stuff like this with their dollars, the companies will stop trying to make it and will instead make wonderful, original single-player experiences jump on whatever the next money-making bandwagon is.

Honestly though, plenty of people are going to buy and love Anthem and that's fine.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My bioware take is that I really liked dragon age origins at the time but probably wouldn't have if I played it for the first time today. Since then I've kept playing them out of inertia. 2 was laughably bad in many respects but also cool in some others and inquisition also exists I guess

Really Pants posted:

in that case the next new hotness will be: microtransactions for every input and button press

Finally, pannenkoek's time to shine

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

wanting games to fail is the most childish poo poo in the world

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

lets hang out posted:

wanting games to fail is the most childish poo poo in the world

I'd say slobbering all over their marketing comes out ahead by just a hair

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I've seen multiple people admit that Anthem probably won't be good but they'll buy it to fill time until the next big release.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Playing every big AAA game as they release and nothing else is pretty alien to me but more power to them

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

cheetah7071 posted:

My bioware take is that I really liked dragon age origins at the time but probably wouldn't have if I played it for the first time today. Since then I've kept playing them out of inertia. 2 was laughably bad in many respects but also cool in some others and inquisition also exists I guess

Finally, pannenkoek's time to shine

there is only microtransaction and no microtransaction, you can't say there's only half,

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Time between the next big release I want to play is for playing old games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I've seen multiple people admit that Anthem probably won't be good but they'll buy it to fill time until the next big release.

How are these people not swamped with good games to play?

There is so much good stuff out there

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

“Microtransaction” is such a long word to type! Why hasn’t it been abbreviated yet?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

“Microtransaction” is such a long word to type! Why hasn’t it been abbreviated yet?

I've seen it come up as MTX before in presentations and the like.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Calling it dlc is technically incorrect I guess, but lots of microtransactions aren't very "micro" anyway so the term itself isn't great.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

its :piss:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

People use MTX right.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Andrast posted:

How are these people not swamped with good games to play?

There is so much good stuff out there

much less so if your gaming of choice is 'shoot gun with friend' though

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
mtx just makes me think of the magic the gathering online exchange which, while funny as gently caress, has nothing to do with microtransactions

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When Bethesda released the horse armour dlc, they weren’t trying to scare us... they were trying to warn us

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i'm so loving salty about the final mission of AC7 right now, god drat

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://clips.twitch.tv/SecretiveIronicSagePicoMause

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

what if star ocean 2 item creation was the entire game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah, I think DAO came at just the right time since those kinds of games just stopped being made at that point even though there was some demand for them. But it's the most generic setting you'll ever get, the story was nothing, sticking with 3 classes just didn't work and they hosed up the balance everywhere along the way.