Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

excuse me for using bild, but I found their gallery faster than the one from AMuS (which has many more pictures)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
:wrong: thread

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
How about terrible car people?

In a recent episode of Mythbusters Jr, the kids used increasingly larger dominoes to crush a car. It happened to be a first-gen MR2. Of course, people lost their poo poo.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I know :) it was an addition to the post before.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'd buy the gently caress out of that E46 M3 Touring

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

A lad I know built a new shape m3 wagon and it’s p sick

https://instagram.com/63np?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=hsg20q4s4jaa

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Mister Kingdom posted:

How about terrible car people?

In a recent episode of Mythbusters Jr, the kids used increasingly larger dominoes to crush a car. It happened to be a first-gen MR2. Of course, people lost their poo poo.

Do people not realize this was some $350 car off Craigslist with basically no frame left and no title?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

horry gently caress, that is sick.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FatCow posted:

Do people not realize this was some $350 car off Craigslist with basically no frame left and no title?

do you think people on the internet would really do that?

just go off half-cocked on bad information, making no attempt to inform themselves of the facts?

sad if true!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FatCow posted:

Sane people would know.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Never understood why BMW never made M touring cars given the apparent popularity of Audi’s RS Avant models.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This loving owns

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gimme 5 stars on the ride or I'll fxck u up

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I've always wondered with poo poo like that: do they put it all on at once? Or so they just start with a Punisher decal, and then something in the BUDK catalogue catches their eye, then there's something on the nazi table at a gun show that looks like it would go great on their bumper, and the next thing they know they're giving handjobs for Ed Hardy-looking dogwhistle racism shirts in an alleyway.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

what the heck is this and what is it doing in North Texas?

posted here since it seems like a custom hack job. but it also seems to be RHD :confused:

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

FBS posted:

posted here since it seems like a custom hack job. but it also seems to be RHD :confused:

Dude, I regularly see a guy rolling around here in the panhandle plains in a straight-up Morris british taxi converted to LHD and painted silver. I don't know anything about him and I can't even respect the effort because I'm so afraid he's a gross teaboo

Here's the origin story on that bus:

:clint: : It's got mirrors, don't it?
:geno: : (signs vehicle inspection certificate)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

FBS posted:

So it's not the same bus, but there was another RHD British bus in North Texas. Several years ago, there was a food truck called The Angry Friar that roamed around Denton (mostly on campus at UNT, generally on Avenue A just off Hickory, in the alley between the language building and Curry Hall). The owner was gen-u-ine British, and the fish was indeed delish.

He shut it down with no warning at the end of 2012. The facebook page still exists, but the last post is basically "we don't want to talk about it, but we're shutting down as of now.".

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
With some work I could see that being a pretty rad RV or party/tailgate bus.

Although fuel economy has to be atrocious - even by bus standards.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

STR posted:

He shut it down with no warning at the end of 2012. The facebook page still exists, but the last post is basically "we don't want to talk about it, but we're shutting down as of now.".

gonna say it's pills

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I saw mine in McKinney, not Denton, so if this project got abandoned it was opioids rather than adderall.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah college students tend to gravitate toward amphetamines for some reason. :v:

God knows I had adderall and dexedrine connections when I was in school, but hey, had a 4.0 average 3 semesters in a row...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Slim Pickens posted:

Everett?

This was Everett, wasn't it.

Or that area looks like somewhere along 99 anyway

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tuo posted:

excuse me for using bild, but I found their gallery faster than the one from AMuS (which has many more pictures)

I'm surprised they haven't tried to sell these in Australia, a country that basically fell in love with the El Camino to the point where there's at least two major competing variants.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

I can't find a specific article on it, but to the best of my recollection: BMW built in a system to disconnect the alternator from the engine under certain conditions, because removing that tiny bit of parasitic drag would improve fuel economy by a tiny amount. One of the situations where they chose to do this was cruising on the highway. When they tested the system in Germany, it was fine; the battery would get a little discharged on the highway, but it would quickly charge back up under city conditions, and there were no downsides.

However, they didn't consider the differences between European and American driving patterns. People in the USA spend a proportionally much greater amount of time driving on highways, meaning that the battery spends proportionally less time charging -- enough, in this case, to never properly and fully recharge the battery, killing it in a matter of months.

Obviously the solution would just be to modify the software so the alternator doesn't disconnect on the highway, right? Recall everyone's car and do a firmware update? Seems like no big deal -- except that there would be a tiny penalty on fuel consumption from doing that. So that would mean that BMW would have to 1) get the car re-tested and re-certified, 2) probably pay a fine of some kind to the EPA, and, most importantly, 3) take back any car with the issue, because the person was "misled" into buying a car that gets 32 mpg when it actually only gets 31.97 mpg. The audacity! And, of course, making the fix without telling people that it would reduce fuel economy a teeny bit would be opening themselves up to a massive class-action lawsuit.

So presumably BMW ran the numbers and figured out how much it would cost them in re-certification/fines/returned cars/bad press, compared that against the cost of just leaving it as-is and replacing the battery under warranty every six months, and went with the latter option.

I dunno what happens when the cars are out of warranty. Is there even a firmware fix available, or do you just have to also buy new batteries all the time?

A bit of additional info on this.

The system in question is a form of micro-hybridization, KERS strictly from battery loading.

BMW was the first one to field it in its efficient dynamics program, but everyone is using it meanwhile and it's gonna be mandatory in the EU within the next decade.

Its also not a black/white operation. Usually you charge the battery to an elevated but generally safe value like 13.2-13.5 volts or so and leave it there for the entire drive. What BMW does is capping the stand by voltage during driving to 13 volts and combining it with programmed info about the battery type (this means you always have to recode when you change batteries so the ECU gets the info of the new capacity and resets the age correction)

During braking, the battery voltage is elevated over the general purpose cutoff voltage for charging, somewhere into the 14 volt region, and goes back to 13 volts on standby driving/idling.

The battery is never discharged during driving, just not topped off all the way, to allow oscillating for energy recovery.

The system has several safety checks and thresholds that make sure you never go below 50 percent battery charge and to make sure starting and stand by performance are not affected. The current you can crank out of the 50 percent AGM cell is comparable to a fully charged wet acid battery and chosen so that people don't notice a difference in operation.

Its entirely possible BMW went cheapskate on the US market or over complied with some wacky state law, but within Europe, these systems have been used for 10 years without any complaints I would say, and I'm the first one to complain about these systems if they even foreshadow increased maintenance or reliability concerns.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm surprised they haven't tried to sell these in Australia, a country that basically fell in love with the El Camino to the point where there's at least two major competing variants.

Not any more, Ford and Holden (GM) have both stopped making cars here and therefore stopped making utes altogether. Which is thread-correct material as far as I'm concerned.

Everyone's buying Toyota and Mazda utes now, which are solid vehicles, but the Ford and Holden ones were basically two-door sports cars you could load your weekend recreational equipment into the back of, regardless of how big it was.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Never understood why BMW never made M touring cars given the apparent popularity of Audi’s RS Avant models.

The M5 E34 was available as touring, the M5 E60 as wekk, and IIRC I red somewhere that the current M5 will also get a touring. The M3 F81 G21 will also be avialable as touring.

e: fixed M3 code

tuo fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 4, 2019

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Irony: in the US, Ford is shifting their focus (lol) over to only F-series trucks, the Mustang, and SUVs. Plus commercial stuff. No actual passenger cars after this model year.

Focus? Already gone (still some 2018s on dealer lots). Fiesta, Fusion, and Taurus are gone after this year model. But they sure as gently caress have plenty of SUVs, trucks, and vans. I'm kinda surprised to see the Fiesta for a 2019 model year, the initial announcement was that the Fiesta would be the first model to leave, IIRC.

Anghammarad
Jan 3, 2010

Ruining your domestic car industry since 1968

FBS posted:

Looks like a late production Leyland Atlantean that somebodys mucked about with. some sort of camper? Although it looks like the engine ahs been ripped off the back

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey arsehole we created the ute :australia: :toughguy:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sagebrush posted:

gonna say it's pills

my first guess was "indecent liberties with a minor, fifteen years minimum."

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

um excuse me posted:

Oh sorry, we had a back up car for the shoot and now it's up for sale.

*Auction Ended. No Bids Placed*

Enthusiast bitch and moan until it comes time to put their money where their mouths are.

Yeah, not so much. Lots of people like cars they have no practical use for, or couldn't afford to buy spur of the moment if a chance came up.

That new gladiator definitely belongs here though. Holy gently caress what an ugly pos.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Memento posted:

Not any more, Ford and Holden (GM) have both stopped making cars here and therefore stopped making utes altogether. Which is thread-correct material as far as I'm concerned.

There isn’t a big enough sad face for this.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MrYenko posted:

There isn’t a big enough sad face for this.

On a global scale, I sort of get it, but I don't. Mostly know that corps worry about the next quarter and not years ahead (which will obviously be a normal event known as a recession.)

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

DJ Commie posted:

I'm pretty sure my HR-V weakens the alternator field to drop the mechanical load on the engine. I haven't plugged in the OBD-II reader to see, though.

They most certainly do this in the Civics so I would be surprised if they don't do the same in your HR-V. In the Civics it flogs the battery and alternator so it is common to disable this function within a reflash.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Okay okay I might have been too harsh on that BMW pickup. I think my judgement came from having uncool stereotypes about who this would be marketed to when sold to the mass market.

To elaborate, I the car itself is cool albeit not super easy on my personal eyes. However, what I was struggling to see is how that car would do when introduced to the public. It's a pickup, so people will want to use it to haul poo poo and have it get beaten up on construction sites and such. On the other hand, it's also a shiny luxury BMW and people will freak out if the coat or the rims get a scratch or the interior gets dirty. So when I was imagining who would line up for these I was getting very judgy images in my head. I know it's not cool to be judgy.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Slim Pickens posted:

Dude. DUDE. Nothing you can do is going to butch that car up, short of the one with the electric Gatling on top. And even that's not the car that's manly - it's just providing wheels for the ridiculous gun.

Jr. posted:

teaboo

:monocle:

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, not so much. Lots of people like cars they have no practical use for, or couldn't afford to buy spur of the moment if a chance came up.

That new gladiator definitely belongs here though. Holy gently caress what an ugly pos.

After that commercial where they crushed an honest to God Gladiator, FCA-Jeep can go gently caress themselves.
As someone noted in comments on Jalopnik: "how about if someone made a commercial about a pet adoption agency where we killed the old dog, but it's OK because here's a new puppy?"

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Code Jockey posted:

Everett?

This was Everett, wasn't it.

Or that area looks like somewhere along 99 anyway

Close, it's SeaTac/tukwila

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Darchangel posted:

Dude. DUDE. Nothing you can do is going to butch that car up, short of the one with the electric Gatling on top. And even that's not the car that's manly - it's just providing wheels for the ridiculous gun.

:monocle:

After that commercial where they crushed an honest to God Gladiator, FCA-Jeep can go gently caress themselves.
As someone noted in comments on Jalopnik: "how about if someone made a commercial about a pet adoption agency where we killed the old dog, but it's OK because here's a new puppy?"

That ad's going over like a fart in church with the people they want to sell to, too. 1.6m views, 1.8k likes.

Looking at their site, the fucker only comes in 4-door as well, who the hell is their target audience? People who don't think their wrangler is long enough? At least it comes in manual.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 5, 2019

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Lord Stimperor posted:

Okay okay I might have been too harsh on that BMW pickup. I think my judgement came from having uncool stereotypes about who this would be marketed to when sold to the mass market.

To elaborate, I the car itself is cool albeit not super easy on my personal eyes. However, what I was struggling to see is how that car would do when introduced to the public. It's a pickup, so people will want to use it to haul poo poo and have it get beaten up on construction sites and such. On the other hand, it's also a shiny luxury BMW and people will freak out if the coat or the rims get a scratch or the interior gets dirty. So when I was imagining who would line up for these I was getting very judgy images in my head. I know it's not cool to be judgy.

Yeah right like there’s really people who wouldn’t buy a fancy truck that never sees use?

Liquid Communism posted:

That ad's going over like a fart in church with the people they want to sell to, too. 1.6m views, 1.8k likes.

Looking at their site, the fucker only comes in 4-door as well, who the hell is their target audience? People who don't think their wrangler is long enough? At least it comes in manual.

See above. All trucks need to be four doors and be able to haul people around and pets and golf clubs in the back seat. The bed is for looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

trucks are where the full size sedan market went