Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I am still waiting for the post-holiday slowdown, btw. Weekends have been more busy since new years and i hate everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

kittenmittons posted:

I am still waiting for the post-holiday slowdown, btw. Weekends have been more busy since new years and i hate everything.

haven't had a post-holiday slowdown for 2 years running

they keep saying "this week's gonna be slow!" and it never is

except for the day it was actively blizzarding, and i didn't even get to work that shift :mad:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
You people in the food world make me laugh... In a horrified sort of way. I've been a Server Admin for about 8 years and I have to laugh every time I read about one of you jumping into IT because the work life balance is better.

IT is filled with guys who will work 10-12 hour days, go home and work more or do side projects (which is just work but for fun). And those are the balanced ones! The bad ones are the people who, as Facebook, Google, et al have discovered, would never leave work of they didn't have to get dinner, hit the gym, or sleep.

And this world is a step up for work life balance for food people. How are any of you still alive? You have more people screaming at you, longer and more physically demanding hours, and you get paid less.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

captkirk posted:

And this world is a step up for work life balance for food people. How are any of you still alive? You have more people screaming at you, longer and more physically demanding hours, and you get paid less.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_(drug)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

That's not entirely true, lots of people on coke and probably opiates too.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Naelyan posted:

Think of, instead of heating up a pot of something on your stove, you have a GIANT pot of near-boiling oil that you just stick little pots into. That probably seems less safe (because it is). Also now when you pull the little pots out, they're covered in (still near-boiling) oil that makes them hard to handle, leaves messes everywhere, potentially contaminates other food, and also will probably loving burn you. Dripping oil on the floor is a slipping hazard (made worse by the part where you might be carrying another pot of near-boiling something covered in oil), and now instead of your home kitchen where it's likely just you doing things as slowly as you'd like, you're in an environment where everything is rushed and there are multiple people around who may or may not be paying as much attention as they should be to the stupid poo poo you're doing. It's just all around a recipe for disaster. (Plus the little things like metal spoons in a pot hanging over boiling oil [metal conducts heat] and if any of those pots spill into the oil, that poo poo will literally explode)

is it wrong that my biggest problem is that they should have filtered the oil and then added a bit more fresh oil to fill it all of the way?

just sloppy

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

captkirk posted:

Whiskey and hate. I routinely put in long weeks in my current gig and that's nothing when my normal week at the bakery was 9 hours a night five nights a week and 6 on Saturday plus weekend deliveries. At least I have a weekend now.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

captkirk posted:

You people in the food world make me laugh... In a horrified sort of way. I've been a Server Admin for about 8 years and I have to laugh every time I read about one of you jumping into IT because the work life balance is better.

IT is filled with guys who will work 10-12 hour days, go home and work more or do side projects (which is just work but for fun). And those are the balanced ones! The bad ones are the people who, as Facebook, Google, et al have discovered, would never leave work of they didn't have to get dinner, hit the gym, or sleep.

Grass is always greener, my dude.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

iospace posted:

Grass is always greener, my dude.

On that note, weed helps with the soul draining aspects as well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

captkirk posted:

By the way, here's my long answer:

Working in the industry, work/life balance happens 1 week at a time. You don't get regular days off unless you're the one setting the schedule. You're expected to be able to come on your days off in an emergency (as I had to this past week in below -10 F weather). As pointed out, weekends don't really exist. Unlike managers breathing down your neck to work overtime, it's customers who are loving twatwaffles. The customers are usually the shittiest part of any shift.

The pros is usually when your shift ends, you're done. Usually you get free food. You'll get stories to share about dumbass customers.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

ApolloSuna posted:

Well I got to hear this.

So we don't filter our fry oil. Instead, every Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday, we drain the whole thing, scrub it down, and refill with fresh oil. Old oil and the nasty, greasy soap water goes into 2, sometimes 3 five-gallon buckets, and gets set outside the employee side door until it gets light out (we do this at 5 am), as the grease bin is across the parking lot and our KM didn't like people dumping the old oil in the dark --- safety first!

Normally I'd dump the old oil around 8 or 9 am, when I was itching to get a cigarette, but on this day I kept putting it off because I was hungover as hell and didn't want to deal with it. I was also praying to get first dibs on being cut (or death, which ever came first), which would mean someone else would have to do it. No such luck, so just as we're about to close that afternoon, my hangover and I go out to dump the oil. Bear in mind that this is in high summer, and we're having a nice southern Virginia heatwave, so I really screwed up by waiting this long, now it's 100 degrees out. Smooth move, JD.

As I said, the grease bin is a ways off, and we had a cart we used to haul trash and used oil. I load up the buckets of oily horror, and yank on the cart to turn it around to head towards the bin. Mid-turn, like 3 feet away from the door, the front axle breaks, the 100 or so pounds of oil shift, and the cart completely falls on its side. The buckets slide out sideways, crash into the pavement, and the lids pop open.

Ten gallons of stinking, warmed-by-the-summer-sun used oil and sludge go flowing all over our flaming hot driveway/parking lot. As I'm panicking and trying to right the cart and pick the buckets up before anymore oozes out, I get oil all down one foot. Both shoes are soaked, and now I've even got oil down into my left sock.

Do we have any of that kitty litter stuff to soak up oil? Heck no! So my manager tells me to grab a deck brush and our bucket of dish soap, and I start deck brushing the loving parking lot. When it's hotter than the bright side of Mercury, and I have a crushing hangover, and the smell is making me gag.

Long story already, sorry, but yeah, even with kitchen shoes on, what with the combo of oil and Dawn, that area was a loving skating rink, which just made the task of cleaning it up even more arduous, trying not to fall on my rear end as I vigorously scrubbed greasy/soapy asphalt. I walked home, went straight to the basement laundry room to take my shoes off, threw out my socks, and came into my apartment barefoot.

The look on my husband's face was kinda worth it. "Hey sweetie, how was [notices me barefoot] :stare: ... your... day?"

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

captkirk posted:

working at a country club for a living wage and with management that goes out of their way to support their staff

also alcohol and being the man on the inside for when the guillotines start to fall

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
My favorite fryer oil horror story was at my first job, a local chain roughly equivalent to Denny's. We had 3 fryers, and normally you'd toss the oil from fryer 3, rotate the other 2 down, and put fresh oil in #1. The old oil went in a metal jerry can by the back door until we got a chance to go dump it in the drums, which worked out pretty well. If someone forgot to dump the jerry can, or we were tossing 2 fryers at once, sometimes we'd use a bigass stock pot for the other fryer worth of oil. How we never recreated "the video" while carrying a stock pot full of just-under-350-degree oil to the back is beyond me.

Anyway, I wasn't there this day, but apparently they changed out 2 fryers. Oh and there was an alarm on the back door, so a manager had to come open it for you. Normally when you had a stock pot of oil you'd keep it in your sight out on the line until you could run it outside. Well this cook decided to put it by the back door instead, with no lid, then go get a manager to open the door. That area was also our staging area for full garbage cans and boxes and poo poo that had to go outside. So at the same time that the fryers were being cleaned, someone else was deboxing the freezer, and threw a ton of broken down boxes in the back, rendering the stock pot of oil invisible. The manager gave the key to a dishwasher, who went back there to open the door and run out all the trash. He plowed through all the boxes and managed to land with both feet in the stock pot :cry:. It had been sitting there for a little while, so it wasn't quite hot enough to deep fry with, but it was hot enough to earn him a 2 week vacation.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

captkirk posted:

I simply refuse to die. I also don't let people scream at me, hours are whatever, I already know I'd be working 60ish hours a week no matter what I do for a living. I haven't had poo poo pay in nearly a decade, just have to be willing to leave your job once you've stopped growing, and go somewhere bigger and better.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I haven't had poo poo pay in nearly a decade, just have to be willing to leave your job once you've stopped growing, and go somewhere bigger and better.

This is such a thing. I've got a few friends that went the business school/engineering/teaching/government job route that I only chat with or get to see a few times a year. So it's like every 4th or 5th meetup that I have a new job, when they've been at the same place for the last 9 years or whatever, and they give me poo poo about it. But that's not how this industry works. Short of working your way up at the same large hotel corporation or owning your own place, if you've been at a place for more than a couple years you're probably selling yourself short. It seems to be a thing that a lot of people don't really get, in the industry and out of it.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I've never seen any bad oil burns, but I definitely have had my morning prep guy call me while I'm in the shower to let me know that the plastic buckets he was using to drain the 300 degree grease melted and now both pots are all over the restaurant.

I've seen some pretty gross cuts from idiots using the deli slicer, however.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

captkirk posted:

You don't show up to an IT job wondering if you're going to get a planned workload or 2 to 3 times (or more) than a "normal" load just based on the day. You can call off when you're desperately sick or just need a day or a few personal hours and not worry about being scheduled less down the road. Even if you couldn't get breaks at an IT job, you wouldn't be on your feet performing manual labor in a loud, sweaty room with zero to little chance to even get off your feet. You don't show up on a weekend day wondering if co-workers who you depend on are just going to ditch on you. Your prospects aren't "I can make a living wage if I'm a chef/KM, which just means ten times the workload for like $40k a year tops (in my area at least) and I practically live in the kitchen anyway."

Just being like "Yeah, honey I can pick up our kid from baseball practice. I'm off at 6 and that's exactly when I get to leave," is an amazing prospect to people who do kitchen work. Or in my case "Yeah, Friday night sounds good! I'll pick you up at 7!" is something that feels wrong. When I'm out on Friday/Saturday, I get flashes where I'm worried that I'm supposed to be at work.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iospace posted:

By the way, here's my long answer:

Working in the industry, work/life balance happens 1 week at a time. You don't get regular days off unless you're the one setting the schedule. You're expected to be able to come on your days off in an emergency (as I had to this past week in below -10 F weather). As pointed out, weekends don't really exist. Unlike managers breathing down your neck to work overtime, it's customers who are loving twatwaffles. The customers are usually the shittiest part of any shift.

The pros is usually when your shift ends, you're done. Usually you get free food. You'll get stories to share about dumbass customers.

Unless you work in healthcare. While I get a leave at 8ish come back 5am the next day every other week, which sucks. I still get every other weekend off.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Plan Z posted:

You don't show up to an IT job wondering if you're going to get a planned workload or 2 to 3 times (or more) than a "normal" load just based on the day. You can call off when you're desperately sick or just need a day or a few personal hours and not worry about being scheduled less down the road.

None of this is really restaurant specific.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Its pretty retail/restaurant life tho. I can count on one hand the amount of holidays or important poo poo Ive been able to take off for in 18 years.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

ApolloSuna posted:

Its pretty retail/restaurant life tho. I can count on one hand the amount of holidays or important poo poo Ive been able to take off for in 18 years.

To be fair, I think this is really dependent upon where you work. I've found that most people that have been in this business for any length of time will work with you, especially when it comes to birthdays/anniversaries/holidays. Personally, I don't give a poo poo about NYE or Easter or July 4th, but I like having Halloween and my birthday off.

Plus at this point my family understands that I work a lot during the holiday seasons because everyone else wants off, but it means I can usually wrangle at least one weekend day off in the spring/fall to have a life with normal people.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coasterphreak posted:

Plus at this point my family understands that I work a lot during the holiday seasons because everyone else wants off, but it means I can usually wrangle at least one weekend day off in the spring/fall to have a life with normal people.

Sure, but also 90% of people that work in industries other than the service industries get every single holiday and every weekend off.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Naelyan posted:

Sure, but also 90% of people that work in industries other than the service industries get every single holiday and every weekend off.

I think you meant to say people with desk jobs. Manual labor, plumbers, electricians, contractors, hospital staff, EMT/fire, police, etc. All definitely work nights, weekends, and holidays.

They just get paid more than the average cook and are more accepting of the hours because of it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Remember that kitchen staff aren't the only people with poo poo treatment. It's almost like the entire system is bent towards exploiting our labor.

ApolloSuna
Sep 15, 2018
Bout to go into an interview where Ima have to cut stuff. I am so nervous I watched how to cut an onion videos on youtube last night.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Plan Z posted:

You don't show up to an IT job wondering if you're going to get a planned workload or 2 to 3 times (or more) than a "normal" load just based on the day. You can call off when you're desperately sick or just need a day or a few personal hours and not worry about being scheduled less down the road. Even if you couldn't get breaks at an IT job, you wouldn't be on your feet performing manual labor in a loud, sweaty room with zero to little chance to even get off your feet. You don't show up on a weekend day wondering if co-workers who you depend on are just going to ditch on you. Your prospects aren't "I can make a living wage if I'm a chef/KM, which just means ten times the workload for like $40k a year tops (in my area at least) and I practically live in the kitchen anyway."

Just being like "Yeah, honey I can pick up our kid from baseball practice. I'm off at 6 and that's exactly when I get to leave," is an amazing prospect to people who do kitchen work. Or in my case "Yeah, Friday night sounds good! I'll pick you up at 7!" is something that feels wrong. When I'm out on Friday/Saturday, I get flashes where I'm worried that I'm supposed to be at work.

Hah, you've never worked in support side IT, have you? SLAs will be met, no matter if that means doubling or tripling your workload.

The difference is that it's not also paying minimum wage and part time 'as needed' hours.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Hah, you've never worked in support side IT, have you? SLAs will be met, no matter if that means doubling or tripling your workload.

The difference is that it's not also paying minimum wage and part time 'as needed' hours.

MSPs suck yeah, they should unionize, are usually where you start with no CS degree, and the above situation as a non-exempt is illegal but places do it anyway.

I do support now and will be taking the dog to the vet tomorrow with no approval/notice etc which is super nice.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

captkirk posted:

Nah you just work for a place that's understaffed. I work mainframe security for a global company. Right now I'm doing my normal job, being technical lead for the PAM project, department liaison for the yearly security summit we have and it's audit season and I work 8 hours a day with no issues. Although I can work more and I like OT so I do some paperwork while sitting on my couch on the weekends.

It's definitely better than the industry.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 7, 2019

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
I still haven’t started my new job search.

Kinda just saying I’m semi retired for the moment.

As much as the stress of not making income is, having days off to do whatever I want has been nice.

But the money will come up and moves will have to be made....

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

A dog and his man posted:

I still haven’t started my new job search.

Kinda just saying I’m semi retired for the moment.

As much as the stress of not making income is, having days off to do whatever I want has been nice.

But the money will come up and moves will have to be made....

Wait so you actually got fired? Was it for sexual harassment?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Wait so you actually got fired? Was it for sexual harassment?
Did he get downsized?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Scarodactyl posted:

Did he get downsized?

This is gold.

A dog and his man
Jan 24, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Lol. I love you guys🙏.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

captkirk posted:

When you get really competent, and you have the right personality, you can listen to music and become a machine. It's like push-ups; eventually, they are no longer exercise because the resistance never increases and it becomes a very streamlined way to turn your time into money without any real thought or effort. It's the same thing I saw at UPS.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Scarodactyl posted:

Did he get downsized?

This is amazing and needs much more love.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012
So I had posted earlier about my friend’s parents’ small family restaurant and their...innovative approach to bookkeeping and tax filing. There’s a new and hilarious update.

A letter and business card was left by an IRS official who was trying to address the large balances owed. Apparently, after several years of asking for returns, the IRS just created returns for them (this is a common-ish process designed to encourage people to finally do their own taxes when confronted with giant bills based on the “substitute return”).

My friend’s dad decided to close the restaurant in response. What do you mean by close? Padlock the door, not show up to take delivery, and allow his few employees to show up at a workplace with a hastily-printed “permanently closed” sign stuck on the door.

Obviously, the employees took this poorly. One of them found another business card for the IRS agent, called them up, and dropped a couple hundred dollars’ worth of dimes. She then marched herself down to the state department of labor and did it again.

My friend’s dad appears to earnestly believe that none of this can possibly have any consequences for him going forward because “the restaurant doesn’t exist anymore”. This is his full defense and only plan.

My friend just made triple sure that his name isn’t on jack gently caress all and laughed all the way to the liquor store. He’s waiting on the “can you post bail?” call.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Holy poo poo.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Wait, there's still people in this country that don't understand how Al Capone ended up in Alcatraz?

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 8, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Its a strategy that absolutely works, so long ad you have the accountants and lawyers necessary to turn the case into a legal snarl that the IRS doesnt want to spend the time dealing with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Just got an offer of managing a kitchen- but not in a restaurant. In a grocery store. Focus is away from labour and penny pinching and instead focus is on quality produce and speed of service.

Same hours, same salary.

Currently in a restaurant as KM where I have no control on staff wages, menu, and my management hours count towards my hourly labour even though I’m supposed to be on the management team (taking a full body off of my kitchen line).

Should I take it?