Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Nessus posted:

Just keep listening and don't fight it when the knife comes, your water will serve the tribe

That particular part was excellent. It is utter folly to disobey an order from Muad'dib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I feel like there's some kind of framework that allows you to play arbitrarily-ruled tabletop games online and this can probably hammered into shape so it plays tabletop dune

Tabletop simulator on steam has a few versions of it as a mod. No clue if they're any good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

drunkill posted:

Tabletop simulator on steam has a few versions of it as a mod. No clue if they're any good.

It's not the kind of game that can be simulated.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not directly related to Dune, but I always wondered if there was an opening for some sort of generic tabletop game except on the TV (stuff everyone can see), player tablets (can see their own), and GM tablet (can see everything) app set. App would handle hex placement and simple inventory (I fired an arrow, so now I have arrows--), but the GM login would have the ability to do anything including overriding dice rolls. Would have been useful on one Shadowrun game because we didn't have table space for everyone and that became a pain in the rear end.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There are loads of them

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

drunkill posted:

I tired to find a vid of this to see what it would be like instead and I found these nerds who found rpg and Warhammer but dune or something??

There's a lot of no-info blurbs but according to some release by the company I saw it comes out at the beginning of this summer. It's part of a vid where they talk about the other products they're gonna be putting out this year including I guess a lot of localizations for D&D books. He talks about Dune for 7 seconds and only says when it's coming out.

After a few more random clicks I found this: https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/41139/exclusive-frank-herberts-dune-comes-tabletop

quote:

As master licensee, GF9 will produce original tabletop games drawing from the extensive DUNE franchise – including printed work by Frank Herbert, Brian Herbert, and Kevin J. Anderson, as well as direct tie-ins with Legendary’s upcoming film directed by Denis Villeneuve

The guys who are apparently making this made "the official Kung Fu Panda board game" and "Family Guy: Stewie's Sexy Party Game?" Dunno if they're any good I guess they did star treks and firefly and vampire poo poo of some kind too. Modiphius and Gale Force Nine. Not really in the table top scene.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

like the black israelites who stand on street corners in D.C. and yell about george washington being a black man, i am that but yelling about duncan idaho -- who is a black man, and david lynch (a white supremacist) whitewashed the character. and this is true and canon.

His name is "Idaho," his idea of a minority is being Dutch.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

duncan idaho is the libertarian take on the ubermensch, he's a fuckin' white everyman type and a big manly man embodying frank's ideal of masculinityyy and he's suuuuuper white there's no other possible reading here

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

basic hitler posted:

duncan idaho is the libertarian take on the ubermensch, he's a fuckin' white everyman type and a big manly man embodying frank's ideal of masculinityyy and he's suuuuuper white there's no other possible reading here
And like all libertarians he's used as a pet by a giant worm man that can read the future.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I always kinda saw him as Scottish.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

From his physical description in the books I saw him as vaguely Mediterranean.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
It's right there in the books. He's Karakian.

"His black karakul hair."

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

like the black israelites who stand on street corners in D.C. and yell about george washington being a black man, i am that but yelling about duncan idaho -- who is a black man, and david lynch (a white supremacist) whitewashed the character. and this is true and canon.
:hai:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I always kinda saw him as Scottish.

"Idaho’s dark round face turned toward Paul, the cave-sitter eyes giving no hint of recognition, but Paul recognized the mask of serenity over excitement."

:colbert:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

basic hitler posted:

herbert was a libertarian but this is me except i'm holding up a copy of dune which talks about duncan's dark features

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBdk5hDadYE&t=190s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The guys who are apparently making this made "the official Kung Fu Panda board game" and "Family Guy: Stewie's Sexy Party Game?" Dunno if they're any good I guess they did star treks and firefly and vampire poo poo of some kind too. Modiphius and Gale Force Nine. Not really in the table top scene.
yeah i dunno. i have a copy of the chronicles of imperium RPG which i snagged as a kid. i was lucky too because that sucker is now worth a grand or two on amazon.

there are pdfs floating around though (disclaimer) i would never advocate violating intellectual property rights of any frank herbert estate or wizards of the coast-owned properties

but it's an interesting game. the players take on the role of a retinue (swordmaster, mentat, etc.) in the service of a house minor, which swears fealty to one of the house majors several years before the first novel. you could play a moritani house minor if you wanted to; atreides, harkonnen, wallach, etc.

i think it would be kind of interesting to play it out as an atreides ally during the events of the novel, but then suddenly find yourself isolated after the atreides are wiped out.many adventure opportunities that don't take place on arrakis -- although the designers wanted to eventually produce a whole bunch of material on arrakis... and wrote up never-published drafts of adventure ideas...

...which may or may not still be out there

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 4, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
still gonna toxx for donald glover. duncan has "feline movements" and is agile and adept compared to the bulky gurney halleck (who is more of the stereotypical swashbuckling swordsman). their different specialties complemented each other when training paul. villeneuve has read the book and gets it. (duncan also has epicanthic eye folds -- another little detail.)

villeneuve is also casting actors who are good...

basic hitler posted:

at doing dark, moody poo poo
"solo" sucked but the main reason is because the script sucked, and disney had to fire the first two directors because they wanted to make a "dumb and dumber" comedy set in space. no actor no matter how good can save a bad script.

duncan is fairly young-ish (but older than paul) and glover fits the age range. these studios want to set up a franchise always as well -- think about that.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Temaukel posted:

"Idaho’s dark round face turned toward Paul, the cave-sitter eyes giving no hint of recognition, but Paul recognized the mask of serenity over excitement."
Thufir Hawat is also described as having a dark and seamed face.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

D. Ebdrup posted:

Thufir Hawat is also described as having a dark and seamed face.

Morgan Freeman for Hawat.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually Leto is described as having a dark face too if I'm not mistaken.
e: "‘It is a cold house,’ she said. She looked at his tallness, at the dark skin that made her think of olive groves and golden sun on blue waters. There was woodsmoke in the gray of his eyes, but the face was predatory: thin, full of sharp angles and panes."

Everyone in the book is middle eastern beige/brown.

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 4, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Temaukel posted:

I thought Morgan Freeman was persona non grata? Last time I mentioned it in the thread, I thought of James Earl Jones.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I want Djimon Honsou in this movie somewhere.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

D. Ebdrup posted:

I thought Morgan Freeman was persona non grata? Last time I mentioned it in the thread, I thought of James Earl Jones.

Is he? :(, what the gently caress Hollywood.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

chris plummer for shaddam iv

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Dune, a stern warning about the dangers of race mixing.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Temaukel posted:

e: "‘It is a cold house,’ she said. She looked at his tallness, at the dark skin that made her think of olive groves and golden sun on blue waters. There was woodsmoke in the gray of his eyes, but the face was predatory: thin, full of sharp angles and panes."

Which probably makes sense for a humanity 10,000 years in the future. Things might be more muddled then.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Honky Dong Country posted:

I want Djimon Honsou in this movie somewhere.

He'd be an okay emperor. I don't think the role gives much to work with.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Temaukel posted:

:hai:

:colbert:

:five:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

herbert was a libertarian

lmao, no he wasn't you doofus

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Temaukel posted:

I like Morgan Freeman, but he's super distracting in everything he's in, since all he ever does is being Morgan Freeman.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Doc Hawkins posted:

He'd be an okay emperor. I don't think the role gives much to work with.

True, although I could see them expanding it to give us more of a sense of what the rest of the Landsraad are like.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

lmao, no he wasn't you doofus
joe mccarthy was a cousin of his i believe, but "cousin joe" went too far in herbert's view. too big government.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Temaukel posted:

olive. i assumed as italian/greek.

or really latin.

notice he cast latin guys for leto and paul. isaac is half-guatemalan/cuban and the actor playing paul (timothy something) is french.

and jessica is harkonnen who are russian, basically. (soviet industrialists more precise, to herbert's horror as he was a weird 1960s-blend of pacific-northwest libertarian environmentalist; it sorta made sense at the time maybe).

denis has actually read the book unlike that hack fraud, david lynch.

disclaimer: i am not having a meltdown

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 4, 2019

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

joe mccarthy was a cousin of his i believe, but "cousin joe" went too far in herbert's view. too big government.

From the wikipedia:
"Herbert was appalled to learn of McCarthy's blacklisting of suspected Communists from working in certain careers and believed that he was endangering essential freedoms of citizens of the United States."

But he was also very critical of both conservatism and liberalism.
He is certainly no objectivist, nor ancap.
e:

and jessica is harkonnen who are russian, basically. (soviet industrialists more precise, to herbert's horror as he was a weird 1960s-blend of pacific-northwest libertarian environmentalist; it sorta made sense at the time maybe).
I never made that connection, that's interesting.

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 4, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Temaukel posted:

But he was also very critical of both conservatism and liberalism.
He is certainly no objectivist, nor ancap.
yeah i think you're right about that. basically the thing to understand about dune is that frank herbert read the foundation trilogy and got mad at isaac asimov's liberal technocrats saving the galaxy with future-predicting technology. he thought this was a horror and wrote a book called "dune" basically to screw with asimov. he turned asimov's villain, the mule, into the hero. and he turned the foundation into the bene gesserit, who are villains. basically challenging asimov's assumptions by flipping them on their head.

the book didn't sell particularly well at first and got mixed reviews. analog refused to serialize the sequel. then it took off and became this phenomenon. but the ultimate conclusion is that prescience is a nightmare and the series goes on to end with a libertarian/anarchic scattering out of reach from any centralized authority.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 4, 2019

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

We've gone over this, he's a conservative environmentalist liberal every-man elitist

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Temaukel posted:

It's this. The majority of people, at least. On the far flung planets? Who knows, it's a big universe.

And again, Wes Studi as Thufir Hawat.

Shageletic posted:

We've gone over this, he's a conservative environmentalist liberal every-man elitist

lol

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Wes Studi owns.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I love the notion that "Opposed Joe McCarthy" = "Libertarian." What?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

:respek:

Phanatic posted:

I love the notion that "Opposed Joe McCarthy" = "Libertarian." What?

I think it's one of those labels people throw out when they hear one little thing and it just sticks because it connotes so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Described as having hair like the karakul sheep, I'm comfortable saying Duncan was at least swarthy.

I mean, the Atreides are Greek after all. Shaddam had orange hair, but c'mon...Shaddam....