Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jealous Cow posted:

A bunch of companies and analysts are releasing their findings for a no-deal brexit and, uhhh....

https://twitter.com/dtmooreeditor/status/1092397027449864194?s=21

I was able to find sources for most of those points. poo poo is gonna be wild. There’s no way they let this happen.

lol oh baby you best believe they can let it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jealous Cow posted:

There’s no way they let this happen.
they will 100% let this happen. they'd construct a house of the pigshit and live in it if they got to pretend they've got a stiff british upper lip and have spited the brown people

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/1092406923448721408
https://mobile.twitter.com/newtgingrich/status/1092409216113958912

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'progress in chinese trade talks'

'we told them to go gently caress themselves and then called them back and went 'oh baby, we didn't mean it.' progress!'

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Jealous Cow posted:

A bunch of companies and analysts are releasing their findings for a no-deal brexit and, uhhh....

https://twitter.com/dtmooreeditor/status/1092397027449864194?s=21

I was able to find sources for most of those points. poo poo is gonna be wild. There’s no way they let this happen.
There needs to be a forums emote for hysterical laughter devolving into hollow, empty weeping.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

pumpinglemma posted:

If it's real, then Fairfax is a complete and utter grade-A moron for invoking WaPo's decision not to run the story as exonerating evidence. That's just begging for an editorial response about how actually, no, they found the allegations pretty credible and were about 80% sure of them, but just not quite sure enough to run the story.

This reeks of a Jacob Wohl-esque attempt to sabotage him and unless a) we hear from the accuser herself or b) some real, actual credible news outlets research and run the story, it's going to stay bullshit in my mind.

The right was always going to try and weaponize #MeToo. Don't let them.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

we all remember how lucid and refreshed ronald reagan was. truly a model of a healthy, responsible presidency - especially the later years

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Obviously the story should be investigated fully and not dismissed out of hand just because it's politically inconvenient to you, but 'the accuser is leftist' is not actual proof.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

What the gently caress

https://mobile.twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1092396124038676485
https://mobile.twitter.com/politico/status/1092271562722545664

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Every time there's this pearl clutching about a weaponized #MeToo, I wonder just how successful people think #MeToo actually is.

Most of the names on Sex Pest Google doc still have jobs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'health officials would target the communities with the most HIV infections'

i guess the reagan comparisons really were apt

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

DynamicSloth posted:

I haven't seen any reports that media outlets other than the Washington Post have investigated the claim, where did you?

Washinton Post also hasn't released anything impugning her claims they just didn't run a story, given that the accuser's story seems to be about a one time encounter with disputed consent what could they have uncovered.

I'm not saying there isn't a possibility of exculpatory evidence, but "Washinton Post didn't run a story" is not that.

Dude, they aren't going to run a story about a sexual assault where they say "this person came to us, but we found that they are a total liar". Not running a story means there is no credible corroboration that it happened and they weren't going to wast column space on it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

finally trump is going to shift focus from rounding up immigrants to rounding up the gays

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Endorph posted:

Great, so we can expect to see them try to kill needle exchanges

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In order to believe an accuser there has to actually be an accusation, not a screenshot from a friend of a friend. Printing someone's name and biography out there without their express permission is absolutely vile, and as such I will not even look up this person's name or details because to do so would be a gross violation of their privacy. If anybody wants to come forward I will support and believe them.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Endorph posted:

Hmm, with pence whispering in his ear I shudder to think how he wants to accomplish this.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Strengthening NATO, huh, tell me more

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

friendbot2000 posted:

Great, so we can expect to see them try to kill needle exchanges

gently caress, this is so going to happen.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

He's gonna put Pence in charge of this I bet.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

In order to believe an accuser there has to actually be an accusation, not a screenshot from a friend of a friend. Print someone's name and biography it there without their express permission is absolutely vile, and as such I will not even look up this person's name or details because to do so would be a gross violation of their privacy. If anybody wants to come forward I will support and believe them.

This. It is not ethical to out someone's trauma against their express consent on the basis of a third party. As a victim of rape, I would be loving livid if someone did that to my trauma. It is my story to tell, no one else.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

So he's going to try to make gay sex illegal again?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Endorph posted:

they will 100% let this happen. they'd construct a house of the pigshit and live in it if they got to pretend they've got a stiff british upper lip and have spited the brown people

There's a part of me (a small part) that wants to see them have to wallow in the mess they made for themselves. Of course, that means a lot of people who didn't vote for it would also suffer and that's not cool, so I do sincerely hope they get poo poo figured out.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

gently caress, this is so going to happen.

Yep! The most effective ways of limiting HIV infection is needle exchanges and sex ed, so you can expect them to kill both and focus on abstinence and other bullshit. Oh, and do nothing to lower the cost of drugs to treat HIV and AIDs.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Watch Trump go after Prep

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Pence has proposed mandatory arsenic treatments for HIV patients, you definitely don't have HIV afterwards.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

FronzelNeekburm posted:

You might remember everyone in states with high income taxes complaining about this, Republicans sneering about how Democrats deserve it, and a few MAGA tweeterers saluting and saying they were proud to help drain the swamp. Thousand dollar bonus!! Everyone's taxes go down!! :patriot:

All of my uncles were crowing about this right before the shutdown. All those high cost of living states have been taking advantage of other taxpayers with their high state tax deductions. Woot woot!

Capping the deduction isn’t even a bad idea since it permitted local municipalities to tax more than they should have since the cost was offset each April. Something similar occurs with the mortgage interest deduction. Home prices are higher than they should be because buyers know they’ll be able to deduct a chunk of their payments. Getting rid of both of those deductions would make buying and owning a home cheaper in the long run.

So the government should have gone further and gotten rid of more deductions. But that’s middle class welfare and apparently middle class welfare is good welfare.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

friendbot2000 posted:

Yep! The most effective ways of limiting HIV infection is needle exchanges and sex ed, so you can expect them to kill both and focus on abstinence and other bullshit. Oh, and do nothing to lower the cost of drugs to treat HIV and AIDs.

There's also that pill that stops you getting AIDS but the company that makes it charges 1,500 a month for it. Eliminating AIDS in America is a totally attainable goal, were it not for the greed of pharmaceutical companies.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Don't we pretty much have a handle on HIV now, or am I an idiot?

edit: I want to clarify that I am not trying to minimize HIV in any way, nor am I suggesting we shouldn't still be looking to eradicate it. It's horrible. I only posed the question because if you're going to single out an epidemic, it seems like opioids are the bigger concern right now.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 4, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tibalt posted:

Except it doesn't actually work. They tried the same thing with Ellison (am... am I allowed to discount the Monahan accusation now?) and Mueller, and besides the initial flurry of reporting it doesn't have a lasting short-term effect. A "thinly-supported" story isn't actually going to get everyone to throw up their hands and say "WELL, someone said he might be a sex pest, guess we gotta let Gillispie be governor!"

...oh wait, it's pollyanna.

Hey, I never said it was working.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Your Taint posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/CharlesFLehman/status/1091757193450397698

Also HIV is no longer a death sentence that it used to be

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

What specifically happened in 1995 to cause such a steep drop?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

I guess Clinton was really good about this.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Your Taint posted:

HIV is still a serious issue but it's gone from a modern plague to something you need to be an extremely high risk case to get and die from. So of course Trump's going to gently caress with it, because his brain's regressed to being pretty sure its still the 80s, and Pence is mad that the gays have averted their punishment from God.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Your Taint posted:

i'm pretty sure the reason the politico piece mentions condom use as a priority is because of these numbers below about heterosexual transmission rates (not that condoms aren't also very important for lowering homosexual transmission)

I think the argument is that gay people tend to be aware of the risk and you're not likely to make a ton of new improvements just by pushing condoms, but people having hetero sex are more likely to underestimate the possibility of HIV since it's been so traditionally associated with gay people and intravenous drug users so there are still potential gains to be made solely through encouraging protection

e: although, looking at those numbers, i guess there's still lots of work to do in black/hispanic gay communities, obviously

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 4, 2019

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Lycus posted:

I guess Clinton was really good about this.

Turns out doing ANYTHING is definitely better than actively ignoring the situation.

Though it might have also just been a drop in new infections in the past leading to a drop in deaths in the present.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Your Taint posted:

That’s when the cocktail of drugs were developed to prevent HIV from becoming AIDS.

The US initiative to stop AIDS in Africa has been pretty successful too. I think the cost for a year’s worth of antiviral drugs is now down to about $20 in that region.

EDIT: And no. It had nothing to do with Clinton. AIDS research doubled every year during the 1980’s and 1995 was when those benefits finally hit a critical mass.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

I hope the queen steps in to save the realm by sacrificing the royal family and ending the constitutional monarchy by exercising her power.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Also Pence caused an HIV outbreak in Indiana

https://mobile.twitter.com/TomDreisbach/status/1092285814095130624

quote:

In 2013, during Pence’s first year as Governor of Indiana, the one Planned Parenthood clinic in Scott County was forced to close by public spending cuts, leaving the county’s 24,000 residents with no HIV testing centre.  

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

DynamicSloth posted:

I haven't seen any reports that media outlets other than the Washington Post have investigated the claim, where did you?

Washinton Post also hasn't released anything impugning her claims they just didn't run a story, given that the accuser's story seems to be about a one time encounter with disputed consent what could they have uncovered.

I'm not saying there isn't a possibility of exculpatory evidence, but "Washinton Post didn't run a story" is not that.

WUSA previously investigated the claims and like WaPo couldn’t corroborate the story:

https://twitter.com/mikevwusa/status/1092373145376428033?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Your Taint posted:

Much better drugs. Specifically, combination therapy. Layman's terms below.

https://hab.hrsa.gov/livinghistory/timeline/1995.htm

I know a couple of of people who were on deaths door at around that time, got put on combination therapy, and are still around and living completely normal lives today.