Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Armadillo Tank posted:

Maybe this jacket will be the impetus for him to turn his life around (maybe just non-spherical).

I was going to say that being in the hospital with life-threatening sepsis wasn’t the impetus to turn his life around, why would a jacket be

...but then I realized we were talking about Ben, so :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Science can easily fix stupidity, its called getting an education and making it a priority.
Education can't fix stupidity, it just gives it a larger vocabulary.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

People like Chris are pathologically incapable of envisioning failure, let alone their role in it. It's part of what makes them so convincing.

As for the finances, it's not a lie. They could call the game "released" right now. It would be a poo poo product but it's still a product. And anyone who agreed to play it per the TOS would have no recourse.

See this comment:

ewe2 posted:

What Chris is dealing in is deniability, the kind that lets you off the legal hook. The kind that honest people mistake for foolishness.

Perhaps it is a cultural difference but I come from a culture where grifting is a (somewhat common and tolerated) way of life. And that whole "he's incapable of envisioning failure" is almost always bullshit and precisely what the grifter is counting on the marks to believe (and the "technically the game could be released" is just that, a technicality). In other words, an even more convincing liar is the one that pretends to be pathologically incapable of envisioning failure. That is not 4-D chess, it is a very common and useful strategy and I personally know a few people who have managed to make it their living.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

:hmmyes:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Morphix posted:

Is that true? Is it like Elite's system or is QT just loading you to different maps?

As far as i'm aware, this is one thing Verticse is correct about.

They are not loading screens per se, QT is simply there to add travel time. A whole boatload of travel time. 10-15 minutes to get from an orbiting station to the local planet. And people complain about travel times in ED?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

trucutru posted:

B'Tak is the weirdest dude in this whole saga, a guy who has been anticipating for years to play a game he knows he'll hate and who methodically writes down all the reasons why he'll be miserable playing it.

That sounds like more-or-less every gamer I meet on the internet these days. See for example Anthem Chat in the past 3 or 4 pages.

I'm beginning to suspect that a lot of people who profess to be gamers but more-or-less constantly poo poo on every game, are just really unhappy on a deep level and don't know how to cope with it. They want games to help them escape, but the problem with games is that they're usually intended to reflect your own self back at you in some kind of fantastical setting and that means there's a big part of you still in the product you're experiencing. If the you in the product is the angry, cynical, socially isolated person who you hate being all the rest of the time, games probably seem like a pretty big disappointment. Star Citizen's not going to make you Malcolm Reynolds if you aren't a charming southern gentleman with a dark past and an uncertain future. It's going to make you a boring angry person shouting about civil war history on the internet because that's what you are. But it'll let you do it in a spaceship.

No loot-shooter or tech tree or new graphical rendering trick in the world is going to give them a moment of personal satisfaction if they don't seek it out for themselves. No game was ever going to be their "Forever home" where they don't have to be themselves anymore, and they weren't intended to be- they're transactions, and if people like doing the thing they're selling then they will probably have a good time with them until the next one comes out. If they don't and they need to argue a bunch of false boundaries into being just to protect the good vibes, maybe they are looking at the wrong pastime.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
All Star Citizen needs to be is Anthem with Spaceships.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

trucutru posted:

See this comment:

Perhaps it is a cultural difference but I come from a culture where grifting is a (somewhat common and tolerated) way of life. And that whole "he's incapable of envisioning failure" is almost always bullshit and precisely what the grifter is counting on the marks to believe (and the "technically the game could be released" is just that, a technicality). In other words, an even more convincing liar is the one that pretends to be pathologically incapable of envisioning failure. That is not 4-D chess, it is a very common and useful strategy and I personally know a few people who have managed to make it their living.

I'll say one thing, Ja Rule is definitely better at it than McFarlane, who was so blinded by his own ego that he didn't even think of deniability and Rule saw it miles away. I have a similar feeling about Ortwin and Chris, but Chris probably has Erin looking out for him so Chris will be safe when this thing crashes.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Morphix posted:

Is that true? Is it like Elite's system or is QT just loading you to different maps?

I believe it is true. There are still some substantial differences though. The main one being in Star Citizen´s QT the player has zero control other than to start/stop, and flight is in a straight line from A to B at fixed speed and with no steering possible. Whereas in Elite´s supercruise players can, accelerate, decelerate, steer the ships normally and navigate, scan objects, launch exploration probes or perform interdictions etc. Something about Star Citizen´s QT straight line / no control mechanic tells me the QT thing and 64b map thing is not as good as crobblers would have us believe.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 4, 2019

necroid
May 14, 2009

Fidelitious posted:

Speaking of Vangelis, I recently watched Blade Runner for the first time (the final cut).

What a dreadfully dull movie that is. Aesthetically, it's wonderful looking so props for that. I'm not sure if it was considered good in its time but it sure hasn't aged well. It has an aroma of the 80s that can't be shook, and not in a good way.
It has some good moments but they're incredibly sparse and the overall plot is just bad.

Fidelitious posted:

You might think so but then I really liked the Neuromancer trilogy and the absurdity that is Shadowrun.
You see, Blade Runner is bad cyberpunk.
That's the difference.

Sarsapariller posted:

I liked the more recent Blade Runner

I have never seen the original though so I have nothing to compare it to

lmao

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

I believe it is true. There are still some substantial differences though. The main one being in Star Citizen´s QT the player has zero control other than to start/stop, and flight is in a straight line from A to B at fixed speed and with no steering possible. Whereas in Elite´s supercruise players can, accelerate, decelerate, steer the ships normally and navigate, scan objects, launch exploration probes or perform interdictions etc. Something about Star Citizen´s QT straight line / no control mechanic tells me the QT thing and 64b map thing is not as good as crobblers would have us believe.

How do you mix a Hairy Roberts while launching exploration probes? QT in SC is for those intimate moments with your fellow crew members. A Hairy Robberts in hand, the hottub at full strength, with lust on everyones mind, anything can happen (within those boring 15 minutes to get to another loving place).

At least that's what I understood from reddit whenever that topic came up. "Shut up, it's alpha, soon there will be sooooo much to do on your ship during QT, you never want to arrive anyway".

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Imagine the Indiana Jones games/movies when everytime the map-with-flightpath-thingy turned up, you actually had to sit through hours of pure boredom. That's immersion, I guess.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tuo posted:

How do you mix a Hairy Roberts while launching exploration probes? QT in SC is for those intimate moments with your fellow crew members. A Hairy Robberts in hand, the hottub at full strength, with lust on everyones mind, anything can happen (within those boring 15 minutes to get to another loving place).

At least that's what I understood from reddit whenever that topic came up. "Shut up, it's alpha, soon there will be sooooo much to do on your ship during QT, you never want to arrive anyway".

I love the usual answers.

"Plan their trade routes"

Really, its going to take so long to plan stuff and not the sort of things you do in seconds via a spreadsheet or external tool? Come on, if the community can find ways to automate such information and plans, they will.

"Perform maintainance on the ship"

So, the ships are basically going to be constantly falling apart, requring you to spend many minutes fixing the ship every time you fly anywhere?

Its like they just regurgitate things CI!G have said in the past without actually considering how it would actually work... just like CI!G themselves.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

07 tuo, godspeed

Thanks, apart from the crummy texture, it was actually quite good. As I said, I was surprised how little sugar was in the sauce compared to tins I have with have been bought recently.

Your shopping list also made me realize I haven't eaten baked beans in like over a years, and I definitely need to fix that. The last time I put a bowl of backed beans under a nice big piece of pork on the grill, low-and-slowing it over like 8 hours to the desired temperature. I was hesitant of this, because my gut told me the baked beans would be nothing more than a mush after that amount of time (the idea for that came from a rather good BBQ magazine I enjoy), but it was perfect. The baked beans were perfect, had a wonderfull, slightly smokey taste and took up everything the pork needed to get rid off to become a wonderfull piece of BBQ.

I think I'll have to do that again, very soon.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

That sounds like more-or-less every gamer I meet on the internet these days. See for example Anthem Chat in the past 3 or 4 pages.

I'm beginning to suspect that a lot of people who profess to be gamers but more-or-less constantly poo poo on every game, are just really unhappy on a deep level and don't know how to cope with it. They want games to help them escape, but the problem with games is that they're usually intended to reflect your own self back at you in some kind of fantastical setting and that means there's a big part of you still in the product you're experiencing. If the you in the product is the angry, cynical, socially isolated person who you hate being all the rest of the time, games probably seem like a pretty big disappointment. Star Citizen's not going to make you Malcolm Reynolds if you aren't a charming southern gentleman with a dark past and an uncertain future. It's going to make you a boring angry person shouting about civil war history on the internet because that's what you are. But it'll let you do it in a spaceship.

No loot-shooter or tech tree or new graphical rendering trick in the world is going to give them a moment of personal satisfaction if they don't seek it out for themselves. No game was ever going to be their "Forever home" where they don't have to be themselves anymore, and they weren't intended to be- they're transactions, and if people like doing the thing they're selling then they will probably have a good time with them until the next one comes out. If they don't and they need to argue a bunch of false boundaries into being just to protect the good vibes, maybe they are looking at the wrong pastime.

This post hits it out of the park. I've got a bunch of fun, chill guys I play with, all older, and we have the same kind of fun no matter what we're playing. No discussion of the "meta" or whether the game is poo poo because "texture pop-in" or whether or not the publisher does this or that thing. The people complaining at everything they find are the most miserable bunch of fucks and they take their schtick not only into every game, and also into everything they do in real life. They do seem to hope Star Citizen will be some kind of lotus eater machine for them but as you said, the one thing they can't escape is themselves. They can just be poo poo humans in a new setting.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Not sure if it's been mentioned here before but the Black Mirror episode "USS Callister" is pretty much a documentary on Star Citizens. Not the game - the backers. It perfectly encapsulates how they are in real life, what they want out of the game, and how they plan to act if they get it.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Thread is good...

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Pressing the elevator button more than once crashing the server is a know shipable.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

You can drop out of QT at any time and be floating around in regular space somewhere on the big star system map. I don't know if there's a difference (apparently Elite spins you up your own little instance of "local space" when you drop out of FSD, and Star Citizen doesn't, I guess?) but functionally it is a loading screen in everything but name. Particularly so if you own a fighter where you can't get up and walk around.

Do you still die like half the time if you get up and walk around anyway? So (at least right now last time I watches this trainwreck) the entire thing is moot cause if you get up out of the chair you become a game object again and those little particles they render to show you going REALLY FAST (which do convey a decent sense of movement, but come on where's the fidelity!) clip into the ship, and the physics engine is too stupid not to assign you lethal damage when they hit you.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Pixelate posted:

Thread is good...

quote:

Bunkers mission work with caveats. Turret respawns are awkward or bugged unless they are meant to repair within seconds. Turrets also cannot be targeted, and finally npcs too often stack. Beside those caveats, missions work 100%

quote:

For package delivery:

Do not put package down until you reach your ship

Avoid using mobiglass while holding a package

Do not drop package, use place and select a flat location on your ship.

You can detour to other packages just don't mix up which is which. Select which package is tracked using contract manager.

When carrying packages, use scroll up on your mouse yo walk faster (I hate that this took me so long to figure out)

Try and keep each delivery to around 30 minutes at most. After that it's a crapshoot if it will get cancelled mid trip

EDIT: I've lost many packages not following these rules, but I've also completed multiple 3+ package trips by planning out the route and choosing locations along the route

quote:

Now do you want a mission with no bugs? Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen for at least another couple of years. It's still an alpha and unfinished.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 4, 2019

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

trucutru posted:

B'Tak is the weirdest dude in this whole saga, a guy who has been anticipating for years to play a game he knows he'll hate and who methodically writes down all the reasons why he'll be miserable playing it.

colonelwest posted:

B'tak, just say that you want the game to be punishingly pay-to-win

B'tak is one of the last believers in one of the oldest tenets of the Cult - "Chris listens to us". I think he genuinely hopes CIG will be listening and his prayers will be answered.

His faith is wavering - hence his bitter tone. But in his heart B'tak still believes.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

quote:

Now do you want a mission with no bugs? Unfortunately, that's probably not going to happen for at least another couple of years. It's still an alpha and unfinished.

I like quotes like this because they just take it on pure faith that CIG is a game development studio for no other reason than CIG says they are. Therefore they're "making a game" and it's "in alpha" and will get finished one day.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

MedicineHut posted:

I guess like others said functionally it doesn't really matter. One works for the gameplay loop, the other is a literal time sink.

It'd be hilarious though if Star Citizen ends up copying Elite's method of doing multiplayer. The endless screeeching about how Star Citizen acksuuuually has invented this method and Elite was the one who stole it will be glorious.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
MISSILE FLIGHT PATH DRASTICALLY DROPS

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

A battlefield equalizer, the Cyclone AA comes equipped with :flaccid: surface-to-air missle and countermeasure package to provide cover for ground troops against airborne targets.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

something something above its weight.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Virtual Captain posted:

A battlefield equalizer, the Cyclone AA comes equipped with :flaccid: surface-to-air missle and countermeasure package to provide cover for ground troops against airborne targets.

It's an anti-tank-jpeg measure for the tank jpegs

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

trucutru posted:

It's a technicality but it's still true. That's why it's not a lie.

If someone is so good at lying that you can't tell the difference between them and a True Believer does it really matter? It's certainly impossible to know which is true based on the information we have available.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a technicality but it's still true. That's why it's not a lie.

If someone is so good at lying that you can't tell the difference between them and a True Believer does it really matter? It's certainly impossible to know which is true based on the information we have available.

I maintain that Chris is in "fake it till you make it" territory. He knows it's a lie at the time he tells it, but he thinks eventually it won't be a lie. Or that once he delivers, he'll be forgiven for lying about it. "Yeah I said it was done in 2016, but you have it now, so it's all good."

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
My question today: Supposing during the proceedings of the Crytek lawsuit that CIG is found to be in breach of contract even if its some kind of minor thing that doesn't get Crytek a bunch of money, does Crytek get the ability to terminate the contract and take their engine away?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

I maintain that Chris is in "fake it till you make it" territory. He knows it's a lie at the time he tells it, but he thinks eventually it won't be a lie. Or that once he delivers, he'll be forgiven for lying about it. "Yeah I said it was done in 2016, but you have it now, so it's all good."

Always knew George Constanza was a game developer.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Dogeh posted:

It's an anti-tank-jpeg

It's a strategic breaching device...

SHIPS UNDER YELA

quote:

encountered 3 ships 2 600i's 1 Catapillar underneath the surface of Yela at JT using the surface geometry as shielding. They were able to shoot out without the risk of taking damage. Later these ships did leave the surface by what seemed to be there own will.

---

It's all skeletons and:

and:

Or:

quote:

Current version of Alpha:

What I expect to see when it is complete:

Scarface Crob is there happily upvoted. The only downvoted one is:

quote:

Do you have a picture of a little kid playing in his cat-turd infested sandbox with spaceship shaped rocks while wearing a bucket on his head? Because that would be it

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scruffpuff posted:

He absolved himself though.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sum Mors posted:

My question today: Supposing during the proceedings of the Crytek lawsuit that CIG is found to be in breach of contract even if its some kind of minor thing that doesn't get Crytek a bunch of money, does Crytek get the ability to terminate the contract and take their engine away?

In theory it wouldn't matter because they're on Lumberyard now anyway with a license from Amazon that anyone in the world can get by clicking "I Agree" on a sign up page somewhere so they stopped playing with Crytek's ball already, allegedly.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It's nice you did a CI-G and left the watermark in the image.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That frame rate choppiness, drat.

Now, there are some real world missiles that are designed to have a similar flight path, the FGM-148 Javelin in particular, because the top armor of a tank usually is the thinnest of the exposed armor (see also: the underside, but that's rarely exposed). It's also got a lot of recent play because it's "high tech" and been in CoD recently. So it's entirely in the realm of possibility they modeled the flight path after the Javelin because of CoD :v:

Javelin flight paths, for what it's worth. Top attack:

Direct (traditional) attack:

So CI!G may have stumbled into something that actually has real world relevance! Shame about the rest.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 4, 2019

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Colostomy Bag posted:

It's nice you did a CI-G and left the watermark in the image.

What you can't see is that it's stuffed with UEC

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

God I love star citizen.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

iospace posted:

That frame rate choppiness, drat.

Now, there are some real world missiles that are designed to have a similar flight path, the FGM-148 Javelin in particular, because the top armor of a tank usually is the thinnest of the exposed armor (see also: the underside, but that's rarely exposed). It's also got a lot of recent play because it's "high tech" and been in CoD recently. So it's entirely in the realm of possibility they modeled the flight path after the Javelin because of CoD :v:

Javelin flight paths, for what it's worth. Top attack:

Direct (traditional) attack:

So CI!G may have stumbled into something that actually has real world relevance! Shame about the rest.

Croberts has no idea what a top attack anti tank missile is.

https://i.imgur.com/5JoxDWq.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Well, if you replace "tank" with "bulldozer" a dim light bulb will go off.