Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Dark Off posted:

animations arent that great. Especially on land.

Is it true that a lot more of the game takes place on foot now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Morphix posted:

Is it true that a lot more of the game takes place on foot now?

nope but there is only 2 hours of gameplay in the story currently.
you walk bit in the start of it and bit at end of it. It isnt focus at all.
Game isnt even alpha yet. You cant play it from start to finish.
I do think its going to be fine game 4 years from now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I’m glad I’m old enough that early access games being pre-alpha is just something I expect.

Verticality and new biomes sound promising: a lot of what this thread was asking for!

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

On the one hand, I want to avoid dealing with early access wonkiness and enjoy the game in full when it comes. On the other hand, contributing feedback during early access might balance out the grognards who give awful feedback that make the game tedious.

PERHAPS I will find out that, I was the grognard, all along

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Apparently this is the current development roadmap. There are SPOILERS. Looks like 1.0 is scheduled for October this year.

https://favro.com/organization/35200a08dbbad85b26102638/0d9378db42299691bb14c708

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Welp.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
But what did you put in the time capsule?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
My Mountain Cave Base:

My base right at the edge of the Grand Reef:

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 3, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

But what did you put in the time capsule?

Magnetite, Lithium, a thermoblade and an Ion Battery because gently caress batteries and the torch.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

My Mountain Cave Base:

My base right at the edge of the Grand Reef:

One of the things I hope they add to BZ is actual gameplay reasons for building bases beyond "need a place to store my stuff and recharge batteries."

For example it would be excellent if you could build underwater mining facilities that dug into the crust and mined minerals, and each zone had specific minerals that could be mined in it. That would then become a way of passive resource farming, at the cost of upkeep of such facilities.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well right now the big reason is scanner rooms. More things like that would be nice.

Hopefully the Sea Truck will make the upfront costs and frustrations of a new base lessen.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Just wish the scanner room would stop pinging mineral deposits that I've already mined. If they regrew I could understand, but this:?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If they're still pinging I think you missed a bit.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Can't be, unless they've got bits hidden underground.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, I ran into that too, it doesn't refresh until you've left the area and come back sometimes.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Anyone know if there'll be vr for this one?

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Does anyone have footage of the New Reaper Leviathan.

I need to find this thing and learn how to run laps around it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I hope we get to see more about life cycles.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I hope we get to see more about life cycles.

It'd be cool if there was a narrative timeframe and leviathans and other persistent monsters hatched or grew over the course of the game.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The dig command still works with the console so I'm guessing the terraforming tech is maybe something built into the engine. Might not affect fps as much this go around?

I used the console to zoom around the new map, some neat stuff you can find already.

There's a small opening at the bottom of the Twisty Bridges that opens up to a large area with nothing but magnetite and diamonds. I explored it with a camera drone to be sure it was empty and still got stressed out when I actually swam down there myself.

Gonna be great exploring again.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Anyone know if there'll be vr for this one?

There won't.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not quoting because spoilers, but that's really disappointing that they haven't reworked the engine to remove support for terrain deformation - I thought that was a core reason for the performance concerns, as a leftover from early development that they couldn't gracefully pull out completely at the time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I bet if they're going to gently caress around with the engine they'd rather start from scratch.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Podima posted:

Not quoting because spoilers, but that's really disappointing that they haven't reworked the engine to remove support for terrain deformation - I thought that was a core reason for the performance concerns, as a leftover from early development that they couldn't gracefully pull out completely at the time.

This was like the reason people started using after the 'secret dev build' bullshit turned out not to be true, when the 'they'll fix things right before launch' stuff came and went, and than relaunched free on Epic with the same problems. At this point I just think it's another excuse, because if it's really the core of the issue, why wouldn't they change it since it makes their performance so god awful.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Morphix posted:

At this point I just think it's another excuse, because if it's really the core of the issue, why wouldn't they change it since it makes their performance so god awful.

Probably their entire development flow and tooling is built around using it as a modelling tool.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

MikeJF posted:

Probably their entire development flow and tooling is built around using it as a modelling tool.

Oh so like instead of using say 3D Max/Maya to model the map they're using an in-game editor. Huh, I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing since the original Starcraft where the editor was powerful/robust enough to create the campaign maps. weird

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Morphix posted:

Oh so like instead of using say 3D Max/Maya to model the map they're using an in-game editor. Huh, I don't think I've ever heard of such a thing since the original Starcraft where the editor was powerful/robust enough to create the campaign maps. weird

Hopefully they at least dealt with the popin.

Oasx posted:

There won't.

Imagine someone will mod it in.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Hopefully they at least dealt with the popin.

That would be my biggest request. It's not like this is a twitch shooter so I'm fine if the game caps at 30fps or whatever, but when I have 8 gigs of VRAM and the game on an SSD and I have Ps2 era mountains having problems loading while traveling at full speed in your game, somethings hosed.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I found a tiny little person sized hole in one of the biomes that went down forever. So far that a high capacity tank and a Seaglide didn't get anywhere near the bottom. Had to put it in Creative just to keep looking. There was a very nice pink fog, some bitey fish, and rubies.

Also some very unfinished Spoiler Stuff that will be neat. Feels like I'm exploring the old World of Warcraft alpha that leaked years ago.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Morphix posted:

Not necessary in-game, but that whatever system they have in place generates terrain and whatnot via outputting voxel-based models that are processed into surfaces, which is what enables terraformer and what causes the performance hit. Maybe editors that are basically a more advanced and technical version of the terraformer.

That said, it's entirely possible that they're planning to postprocess the terrain into an optimised model, but they have to wait until they've put a lock on it. Most games won't be hitting performance this early in the development cycle.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Soho Joe posted:

Does anyone have footage of the New Reaper Leviathan.

I need to find this thing and learn how to run laps around it.

Don't worry, it will find you. ;)

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

MikeJF posted:

Not necessary in-game, but that whatever system they have in place generates terrain and whatnot via outputting voxel-based models that are processed into surfaces, which is what enables terraformer and what causes the performance hit. Maybe editors that are basically a more advanced and technical version of the terraformer.

That said, it's entirely possible that they're planning to postprocess the terrain into an optimised model, but they have to wait until they've put a lock on it. Most games won't be hitting performance this early in the development cycle.

Huh weird.

And pardon the ignore, but I remember watching a thing on the early performance thing, or maybe it was an article. Either way the gist was that if you don't have performance nailed down within like 90% of your target at the start, and say you're sitting at closer to 10-30% performance targets, you will never be able to get that 70-90% increase through the course of development while you're constantly adding things. They emphasized that you'll be luck if you can get like 5% performance increase, and most likely you'd actually lose some because well you're adding stuff and the more you compute, the messier things get.

Granted, no piece of software I guess is all alike and I know nothing about this stuff, but the 'we'll get performance nailed right at the end' thing I have heard a million times from Early Access games, it never happens. Or at least that's the impression I have. Especially with this company, they did this song and dance number, along with it's fans through the entire EA process of subnautica. There was no substantial performance increases.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah, large performance improvements are probably going to require sweeping architectural changes and that's just not going to happen if its not at the start.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's very situationally dependent, especially in cases like this where it seems like there are low-hanging fruit (like the clouds thing)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Was it from an article or an interview? An article saying 46% perf in 3 months is lying, but an interview claiming 48%+ in a quarter is legit.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just finally found the deeper habitat. Spent a lot of time punching octopi and warpy mantises. Ended up having to get back to my Big Ship because of water concerns, then decided to save and quit for a while. So, if I understand the whole of the Degasi story:

Dad, Son, and Mercenary are the only survivors after their ship is shot down trying to check if there's Lithium on the planet. They wash up on the island, and are pretty chill there for a while, but get spooked by a storm and decide to go underwater. A bit later, they get bolder and decide to travel even deeper, looking for more resources and more information. It's there that Son discovers they have The Disease. Mercenary, in her 'be helpful by killing things' way, brings a mortally wounded leviathan back to the habitat so it can be studied. Dad flips out about this, saying that it could have lead others there. During their argument, Man is proven correct as the habitat is attacked by another one. Dad dies inside the habitat, or is eaten outside of it. Mercenary attacks the Leviathan with some rusty metal and Son gets away. Son returns to the island, now super duper dying from the disease, and dies watching the sunrise. Did I get it all?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

PMush Perfect posted:

Just finally found the deeper habitat. Spent a lot of time punching octopi and warpy mantises. Ended up having to get back to my Big Ship because of water concerns, then decided to save and quit for a while. So, if I understand the whole of the Degasi story:

Dad, Son, and Mercenary are the only survivors after their ship is shot down trying to check if there's Lithium on the planet. They wash up on the island, and are pretty chill there for a while, but get spooked by a storm and decide to go underwater. A bit later, they get bolder and decide to travel even deeper, looking for more resources and more information. It's there that Son discovers they have The Disease. Mercenary, in her 'be helpful by killing things' way, brings a mortally wounded leviathan back to the habitat so it can be studied. Dad flips out about this, saying that it could have lead others there. During their argument, Man is proven correct as the habitat is attacked by another one. Dad dies inside the habitat, or is eaten outside of it. Mercenary attacks the Leviathan with some rusty metal and Son gets away. Son returns to the island, now super duper dying from the disease, and dies watching the sunrise. Did I get it all?

Yeah, that’s what I got.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Is Below Zero already worth it in its current state?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

haldolium posted:

Is Below Zero already worth it in its current state?

Depends what you're looking for. I didn't mind getting it early, but there's not much to do right now. You get a bit of story and can build the most basic base, but that's it. No vehicles, lots of stuff from the basic game missing, some people having performance issues.

If you know you're going to get it anyway then go nuts as there is a high likelihood that it will get completed in the next year or two, but don't expect anything amazing right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

CyberLord XP posted:

Depends what you're looking for. I didn't mind getting it early, but there's not much to do right now. You get a bit of story and can build the most basic base, but that's it. No vehicles, lots of stuff from the basic game missing, some people having performance issues.

If you know you're going to get it anyway then go nuts as there is a high likelihood that it will get completed in the next year or two, but don't expect anything amazing right now.

Thank you. I was hoping for a bit more content given that the core mechanics are already in place.

It annoyed me when I stumbled upon it on Steam the other day and saw they will do another extended "EA" phase for this one, where it seems to be basically the same game but with different content. Sure, do a 3 months beta/EA phase but another whole year+ of QA by the community? Bit too much and not what I consider "EA" should be used for... :shrug: