Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

corn in the bible posted:

I still think ME1 was way better than 2

It was more of a traditional RPG but you can't deny that ME2 felt way better to control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RBA Starblade posted:

Mass Effect 3 had really good gameplay that shined in multiplayer.

Anthem looks like it's trying to have that gameplay but hoo boy

The nice thing about ME3 multiplayer was that it was unexpectedly awesome and addictive for being some throwaway horde mode. Playing as a Krogan Vanguard was cool because you spent the last five years learning about krogans and them generally being badasses, then you get to bitchslap some aliens into the next dimension. In Anthem there's none of that attachment unless you just really like Iron Man or something, and the demo doesn't really provide a favorable impression of its worldbuilding. Hard for me to get hype over mech suits plinking away at gleep glop aliens without a little context.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ME1 was the most supremely boring game I've ever tried to play and I wrote off Bioware wholesale because of it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anthem sucks because its free roam mode is covered in invisible walls, meaning most far off places you see can't actually be visited.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I liked ME2 and 3's gameplay but ME1 and the star wars ones I only stuck with because I liked the story.

And then Dragon Age was just bleh all around

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

corn in the bible posted:

I still think ME1 was way better than 2

:hmmyes:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I tried to play some of that game Cultist Simulator over the weekend but it is obscenely stressful. There are constantly timers ticking down and there's zero explanation of what you're supposed to be doing and I know that's kind of the point but I don't like it.

And I was feeling all this when there were only like 6 cards on the table. I looked up some images and I have no idea how people can keep this poo poo straight

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i hate me2 but some of the characters are okay

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I like ME1 a bunch when it released. I thought the story was cool and the gameplay was fun enough. I played ME2 about a year after it released and thought it blew. The story was garbage, it felt like a bunch of shot TV episodes. I didn't care about any of the characters. I didn't think the gameplay was much of an improvement over 1's. I haven't ever gone back to 1 to see if I dislike it now. I'm content to remember it fondly.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I tried to play some of that game Cultist Simulator over the weekend but it is obscenely stressful. There are constantly timers ticking down and there's zero explanation of what you're supposed to be doing and I know that's kind of the point but I don't like it.

And I was feeling all this when there were only like 6 cards on the table. I looked up some images and I have no idea how people can keep this poo poo straight

I got addicted to it one day over the weekend and then woke up the next morning and realized that even though I'd played it a ton I still didn't like it

Thank god I escaped the cult's brainwashing and deleted it

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Regy Rusty posted:

I got addicted to it one day over the weekend and then woke up the next morning and realized that even though I'd played it a ton I still didn't like it

Thank god I escaped the cult's brainwashing and deleted it

The thing is I think the idea of a sort of long-form deck building experience like that could definitely be cool. But there are so many cards and possible combinations that the purposeful obfuscation of game-mechanics is really unnecessary.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

they should have just made it turn based probably, because the only possible way to keep on top of poo poo in that game is to run out your timers and then pause while you put together your next move, there's really no good reason for it to be real time. people talking about rtwp bioware games, but cultist simulator is easily the worst example of it. you also you have to aggressively keep your table sorted but the game doesn't give you the tools to do it easily, and actively tries to make it messier by moving stuff around randomly. I'm mostly okay with them obfuscating the mechanics of the game, except when they give you an explicit "puzzle" and its like literally any card on your table can go in this slot and you're going to have to try them all one by one

I was really excited when I played the proof of concept but the final game is just the same poo poo but More. its designed like an idle game except if you ever actually let it idle you will immediately lose

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wow dreams seems really cool...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

its designed like an idle game except if you ever actually let it idle you will immediately lose

Yeah totally, and idle games tend to eventually give you ways to automate things whereas in that game you'll be dragging your job card to the work card every minute for the entire play time

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cool, if you spend $130 in this steam sale you can make your steam profile gold colored for one year. thanks valve

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Say no more.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

homeless snail posted:

cool, if you spend $130 in this steam sale you can make your steam profile gold colored for one year. thanks valve

lmao that this is how they try to appeal to china

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Making a discord for what I'm gonna call the 'Golden Steamers' please post your proof of power if you wish to join

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Making a discord for what I'm gonna call the 'Golden Steamers' please post your proof of power if you wish to join
Me destroying dr disrespect in a battle of wills

https://clips.twitch.tv/RoughInquisitiveBillAsianGlow

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think I'll join the Platinum Epics instead...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hmm nioh's on sale for $25 which is more than i'd want to pay but i desperately need something to tide me over until sekiro

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
25 dollars for Nioh is a great deal for the only good Ninja Gaiden/Dark Souls-like.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

if you spend $30 you get $5 off, which is the one good thing in this sale. get nioh + some indie game for free

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cowcaster posted:

hmm nioh's on sale for $25 which is more than i'd want to pay but i desperately need something to tide me over until sekiro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHKOCtLnbWs

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cowcaster posted:

Extremely worth it

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Should be a golder profile color for those who spend $130 on only copies of Bad Rats.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nioh is great and I really want to see what they are going to do with Nioh 2

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Wildtortilla posted:

Should be a golder profile color for those who spend $130 on only copies of Bad Rats.

year of the rat is next year

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Andrast posted:

Nioh is great and I really want to see what they are going to do with Nioh 2

Dual wield kusarigamas please, and more kodama related content

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hmm looks like assassin's creed odyssey is $30 so with the 5 off it'd be $25 too... or i could finally get origins for $20 and save a fiver... this is the most i've thought about a steam sale in a long time

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cowcaster posted:

hmm looks like assassin's creed odyssey is $30 so with the 5 off it'd be $25 too... or i could finally get origins for $20 and save a fiver... this is the most i've thought about a steam sale in a long time

Get Odyssey

May 8, 2006

I think I prefer Origins but it's mostly centered around stuff like 'how the moon hits the desert' so I think Odyssey might be a better bet just because they refined the gameplay a little bit more.

Edit: Nioh is a stronger game than both though imo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well i started to have to look at charts of what version of odyssey and what versions of origins i'd need to buy in order to get any story dlc and they're all more expensive and also gently caress this noise i think i'm going with nioh

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

vote for odyssey

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I really liked ac origins but maybe Odyssey is better I don't have it

Afaik there's just the game and then gold which has the dlc in, I don't think there's anything else to care about

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

well i started to have to look at charts of what version of odyssey and what versions of origins i'd need to buy in order to get any story dlc and they're all more expensive and also gently caress this noise i think i'm going with nioh

Nioh is great too but just get the standard edition of odyssey.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Far Cry 5 is $15 :eyepop: I kinda want that game but I know it won't run acceptably on my PC.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I also vote for Super Mario Odyssey

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Andrast posted:

I also vote for Super Mario Odyssey

:yeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009