Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

American McGay posted:

One of those is used to power the rumble. If you don't care about that you can just use a single USB.

Oh really? Yeah, I might do that, then. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.
A pricier but nicer solution would be this wireless adapter: http://www.8bitdo.com/gbros/

If I used GCN controllers, it'd be a good choice for me.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

DizzyBum posted:

Not a bad idea, but the GCN adapter takes two USB ports, so I think I'd have to buy two extenders.

Male to Female USB cables are pretty cheap and usually come in multi-packs Amazon 2 pack 2 6ft cables for $9

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Out of interest in regard to the MP4 reboot: what do you all think is the chance that the studio went more and more into a "unchartered"-direction, like metroid but with story and super awesome set pieces, cutscenes etc. pp., and after the awesome success of Smash Nintendo (again) realized, that the best thing is to simply give the fans what they want, and thus they decided to reboot it?

I know, this is super far fetched, but I have been thinking about that for couple of days now. What could they have done to MP4 so that Nintendo pulls the plug? It must be something so fundamentaly wrong that you need a complete reboot, even by another studio.

Basically another "other M", but better.....

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

tuo posted:

Out of interest in regard to the MP4 reboot: what do you all think is the chance that the studio went more and more into a "unchartered"-direction, like metroid but with story and super awesome set pieces, cutscenes etc. pp., and after the awesome success of Smash Nintendo (again) realized, that the best thing is to simply give the fans what they want, and thus they decided to reboot it?

I know, this is super far fetched, but I have been thinking about that for couple of days now. What could they have done to MP4 so that Nintendo pulls the plug? It must be something so fundamentaly wrong that you need a complete reboot, even by another studio.

Basically another "other M", but better.....

The impression I got was that they split it across multiple teams and it turned out to be a mess where some teams were doing okay and others weren't, and figured since Retro is presumably finishing up their latest project, they might as well just cancel the whole thing and start over with Retro.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've learned enemies hate wagons and they have good defense so I get a wagon to bring reinforcements and then send it into enemy territory and they're all like "Oh poo poo I gotta kill this wagon"

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The impression I got was that they split it across multiple teams and it turned out to be a mess where some teams were doing okay and others weren't, and figured since Retro is presumably finishing up their latest project, they might as well just cancel the whole thing and start over with Retro.

I'm sure they have some usable art assets at least. Something has to be salvageable.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I've learned enemies hate wagons and they have good defense so I get a wagon to bring reinforcements and then send it into enemy territory and they're all like "Oh poo poo I gotta kill this wagon"

Similarly, Emeric's groove power usually winds up being "make the enemies stop what they're doing and spend 3-4 attacks beating up a crystal."

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
We have a challenge to Nintendo. In Metroid Prime 4, create a storyline in which Samus gets breast cancer. Imagine the drama of a vulnerable Samus Aran still persisting on her otherworldly adventures despite her illness. It needs fleshing out, no pun intended, but we guarantee the gaming world would be shocked, stunned, and moved by the effort to make Samus's character more meaningful.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sudden Javelin posted:

We have a challenge to Nintendo. In Metroid Prime 4, create a storyline in which Samus gets breast cancer. Imagine the drama of a vulnerable Samus Aran still persisting on her otherworldly adventures despite her illness. It needs fleshing out, no pun intended, but we guarantee the gaming world would be shocked, stunned, and moved by the effort to make Samus's character more meaningful.

Source your quotes.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

DizzyBum posted:

Source your quotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s0lzbCK9f8

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The APC sacrificial goat/wall is a tried-and-true AW strategy.

Gonna have to get this eventually. I think I still have my SP with AW2 kicking around. And though it was broken as all gently caress I loved AW: Dual Strike because of how brokenly you could just rush a map. Conversely, Days of Ruin wasn't quite my thing because they upped the difficulty/grimness. Like I could beat it, but I liked holding back the tide and then overcoming the enemy. Blue Moon under General Colin :ussr:

Honestly, there's something to be said about portraying war as cute and fun, but darnit if it wasn't adorable and fun!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

pixaal posted:

I'm sure they have some usable art assets at least. Something has to be salvageable.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking as well; no way that they threw out EVERYTHING, I mean some stuff has to have been useable. A skybox, texture work, various models.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sudden Javelin posted:

Gaming in the Trump years might be the worst name for a review show ever

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sudden Javelin posted:

I always wondering if he was either some next-level troll, or just really that dumb. I wanna go with troll, but I think I know the answer. Navigatr and Retsupurae are a wonderful combination.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sudden Javelin posted:

lmao

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Sudden Javelin posted:

A lot of people don't like games with time limits though

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

:lol: I completely forgot about that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Does it actually matter which port you use for the LAN adapter? Is it true that the 3.0 in the back doesn’t even have the software to support anything faster than the ports on the side?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rolo posted:

Does it actually matter which port you use for the LAN adapter? Is it true that the 3.0 in the back doesn’t even have the software to support anything faster than the ports on the side?

It seems to matter, though in exactly what way I can't tell. I have an old piece of poo poo LAN adapter that works fine in the side ports but breaks horribly if I use the 3.0 in the back.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

How is the port of Ys VIII for Switch? I know it runs at 30 fps vs. 60 on PS4 but does it play well anyway and does it have the updated localization they patched in to the other version?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok FFX/X-2 for Switch does sound dope. But man, $50. Wonder if X-2 is going to be a code?

They’re pretty well regarded games yeah? Well, I always heard X2 is a bit weird and a lot don’t like it. I had it on Vita but never got a chance to play it, might get another copy

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok FFX/X-2 for Switch does sound dope. But man, $50. Wonder if X-2 is going to be a code?

They’re pretty well regarded games yeah? Well, I always heard X2 is a bit weird and a lot don’t like it. I had it on Vita but never got a chance to play it, might get another copy

FF fans are mostly indifferent to X and hate X-2, so they're pretty great.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

In the west X-2 is a code but the Asian version (which includes English) has them both on cart. FFX is really good, I haven't played much of X-2 yet but it's fun and has a great battle system

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

???

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Both parts of that are wrong, 10 is one of the more beloved games in the franchise

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X has Blitzball and it’s great because of it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis, you can't trust people

Although yeah as patronising as it might sound I do think there's plenty of people buying games just to keep up with the trends, and I think usage statistics that come out from the ps4 and Xbox bear this out

Like no-ones gonna be talking about the 36th iteration of CoD or Assassin's Creed: Belgium in another 10 years time because they're ultimately disposable, yearly updates on the same model

Don’t you dare put Coldplay (one of the best bands alive) and nazis In the same sentence. As for switch content, I’m not buying anymore games till fall, but man I wanna play Wargroove.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

LionArcher posted:

Don’t you dare put Coldplay (one of the best bands alive) and nazis In the same sentence. As for switch content, I’m not buying anymore games till fall, but man I wanna play Wargroove.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol. Can someone answer my question about Ys VIII before I go crazy Broadway style.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Steve2911 posted:

Where'd you get this false rear end info

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

LionArcher posted:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

X-2 rules and any initial backlash it got was because 'ew girls'

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So Blitzball is....cool & good?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

X2: Fantasy Women United has a job system like FF5 right?

And yeah I think the main complaint was "Girls in a pop band? Is this game for gay people? I'm a man!"

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

That is steep but for two full games well-received games? Yeah ok. I guess.

Will be getting them for sure. As far as QoL is concerned is it better to wait for 7 and 9 so that X/X2 don't make those feel like old crap?

Brother Entropy posted:

X-2 rules and any initial backlash it got was because 'ew girls'

I thought it was 'ew anime', because for a series that's pretty absurd, that opening intro (the only thing I ever saw of the game) was pretty embarrassing.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

And yeah I think the main complaint was "Girls in a pop band? Is this game for gay people? I'm a man!"

yup. it's a little less customizable than ff5's job system but makes up for it by being able to switch jobs mid-battle (with accompanying transformation scenes because x-2 owns)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yes, but you can also equip multiple jobs on each character in different configurations and switch jobs in the middle of battle.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

X-2 would definitely be better if it was gayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I remember a lot of complaints about FF10 being about how Tidus "looked gay" as well. Christ society was so much more homophobic and more infused with fragile masculinity back then.