Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
has anyone said

shitecoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

how much time and paper would it take for a math wiz to do like one Bitcoin Calculation by hand???

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
do you mean a single of the operations that bitcoin miners do a bazillion times per second

someone already did that (kinda), came up with 0.67 hashes per day

http://www.righto.com/2014/09/mining-bitcoin-with-pencil-and-paper.html

what it would take to find a valid block at a certain difficulty is left as an exercise for the reader

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ProofofResearch/status/1092114822018355202
mark continues to do nothing wrong

other fun bits from that thread: there is no identifiable cold wallet, QuadrigaCX may have held less bitcoins than they reported, and was using deposits from customers to pay for withdrawals from others. frankly im shocked

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

CampingCarl posted:

and was using deposits from customers to pay for withdrawals from others. frankly im shocked

that is exactly how a proper exchange should work, though?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

crypto job update:

I probably did more for this company stupid company than any other. then they royally hosed me in really the most inhumane way.

near the end of this ordeal I was so stressed I couldn't eat properly, could not finish even a soup or salad. I became increasingly convinced I had an ulcer and when I said I needed to fly home to see my doctor they ignored me and asked me to work on-site even longer.

unfortunately I don't want to share more details than that because I'm determined to sue them and don't want to dox myself. they broke at least 3 employment laws, all of which resulted in them not paying me enough. I'm sure they'll make an offer to avoid court, because what crypto company wants discovery to happen. then again, these people are profoundly stupid. I basically expected every day that one of the managers was going to walk in and do exactly what they said they wouldn't the day before.

if anyone wants details, maybe I can share privately. especially if you know legal things or have a not-insane job offer.

EDIT: also lol at Quadriga which is happening in my home city.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ymgve posted:

that is exactly how a proper exchange should work, though?

i think he meant they could only pay out to existing customers if new customers replenished their reserves

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
pk have you considered a security guard job (as a temporary option of course)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
B in BCash stands for BBBW, where the extra B means BBYOB (B = Bitcoin).

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

pk have you considered a security guard job (as a temporary option of course)

no. is this serious or a joke?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

kw0134 posted:

if society collapses these fuckers would the first to be eaten by the roving cannibal gangs that formed up for the love of collective self-protection, assless chaps, and shared human organ stew recipes

the wizard personal organizer will come back in a big way for those tribes

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

PleasureKevin posted:

EDIT: also lol at Quadriga which is happening in my home city.

you being from bc makes so much sense given your life decisions

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

PleasureKevin posted:

could not finish even a soup or salad.

what about breadsticks

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

PleasureKevin posted:

no. is this serious or a joke?
It’s not very serious otoh lingering in a crypcash job (I can’t tell whether you’re still in it) that sounds like a doomsday cult seems not much better for your personal brand

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

El_Elegante posted:

what about breadsticks

out of the question, I did not even try.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

It’s not very serious otoh lingering in a crypcash job (I can’t tell whether you’re still in it) that sounds like a doomsday cult seems not much better for your personal brand

no, I'm not still there. I'm pretty sure I can find actual computer work this month though.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

El_Elegante posted:

the wizard personal organizer will come back in a big way for those tribes
Franklin planner more like (the true doomsday stock bet)

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

hi kevin nice to hear you've been haveing fun. since i know you read the and post on reddit can you ask the bitcoiners how the transition from our current financial system to one entirely denominated in bitcoin would work? thanks

xoxo

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
you see, when society collapses and all fiat is worthless, all existing infrastructure will remain intact and operating thereby providing the path to hyperbitcoinalization

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Suspicious posted:

you see, when society collapses and all fiat is worthless, all existing infrastructure will remain intact and operating thereby providing the path to hyperbitcoinalization

You can hack into mainframe and change all dollar signs to BTC.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
shitcoin

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Gazpacho posted:

has anyone said

shitecoin

:wrong:

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

i think he meant they could only pay out to existing customers if new customers replenished their reserves

Yeah if not enough people were depositing then there were withdrawal delays.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
areola/nipple=coin

poo poo=to shite wtih dicks

shitcoin=making GBS threads with dick nipples

Not the most intuitive joke.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

...! posted:

has anyone said markdidnothingwrongcoin yet?

schadenfreudsche-mark

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

https://twitter.com/EastBayTimes/status/1092408495087996928

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

A second death has hit the cryptos

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i went to mexico's murder capital and all i got was murdered

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

quote:

a man who went by the name “John Galton,”

:rolleye:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

i always wondered where john mcafee was keeping himself these days

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Who is John Galton?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

“If somebody’s listening, please, I just — somebody showed up right after we finished eating, and they shot John and Henza, and I was in the house, and John’s dead at the gate,” Forester wailed in video she posted on social media. She begged, “Somebody please come.”

if only there were some service that was tasked with responding to these kinds of incidents quickly and handling them before you get murdered, oh well back to begging on social media for someone to come and beat up the people murdering me

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Spazzle posted:

Who is John Galton?

I think Man Rand would be a better pseudonym.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Splicer posted:

areola/nipple=coin

poo poo=to shite wtih dicks

shitcoin=making GBS threads with dick nipples

Not the most intuitive joke.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

That’s when they fled, heading first to California and then down to Mexico. “Neither of us could afford to pay all of the money to bribe the judges,” Forester said. “Our only defense was to leave.”

They crossed the border with $50 in cash. Once in Acapulco, they found odd jobs in the tourism industry, while also amassing followings on Steemit, a blogging and social networking site. Forester built a business blowing glass into pipes. Among their projects were organizing “Meat Ups,” which advocated a carnivorous diet, and creating “an uncensorable Wikipedia.”

jesus christ i hate everything about these people

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

are we at the stage where everyone starts dying? is the deathchain here?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I can just imagine them eating 4 hot dogs at a time as they zealously make sure Ayn Rand's nuWikipedia™ page is rendered untouchable

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

jesus christ i hate everything about these people

yeah usually human death saddens me, but this guy i’m pretty fine with him getting what was coming to him

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Erenthal posted:

yeah usually human death saddens me, but this guy i’m pretty fine with him getting what was coming to him

not quite to the level of pimpalex91@hotmail.com but same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"just eat nothing but meat!" i say to the audience of 3 mexican subsistence farmers who came to my meat up hoping there would be free meat