Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

GoluboiOgon posted:

venezuela doesn't produce enough of its own food for subsidies to end hunger. chavez should have focused much more heavily on growing the agricultural industry to the point that venezuela wasn't dependent on imports the second that he decided to challenge the us.

Venezuela was not as reliant on food imports when Chavez took office. Much of the problem comes from his government fixing food prices extremely low to the point that it was impossible for most domestic producers to turn a profit, causing a lot of domestic agriculture to go under. Obviously this makes people really happy to have cheap food in the short term but it kills the means of production in the long term along with any potential for growth. Additional problems arose from the government's tendency to seize and liquidate the ones who remained successful under the guise of nationalization. This was a great scam to make some quick money for some government dudes and their buddies at the expense of people they didn't like - but again this is shortsighted as gently caress and looting the food infrastructure of a nation has what should have been obvious downsides.

It had nothing to do with challenging the US - there was no shortage of places to buy food from or even provide food aid (including the US) throughout this process. Domestic food production tanked and the oil production previously funding food imports tanked for similar reasons. A lot of things would have gone better had Chavez focused on something that didn't involve looting the country while propping up short term public support with grand, unsustainable gestures.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
This interview with Maduro is both infuriating and hilarious.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/isgoodrum/status/1092092402498596864?s=20

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
https://twitter.com/venanalysis/status/1092087115876392960

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

I dunno, seems to me like she's just arguing in bad faith

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

A Typical Goon posted:

I dunno, seems to me like she's just arguing in bad faith

"Arguing in bad faith warrants death threats" - a typical goon

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Some news!

Venezuela crisis: US sending aid 'at Guaidó's request'

quote:

The US says it is sending aid to crisis-hit Venezuela following a request from Juan Guaidó, the opposition leader who has declared himself interim president.

Mr Guaidó's move last month won swift backing from the US and others but triggered a power struggle.

Venezuela's President Nicolás Maduro has accused him of mounting a coup and retains major international allies.

He has dismissed US offers of aid as a pretext for military intervention.

Saturday saw thousands take to the streets of the capital Caracas for protests in support of both President Maduro and Mr Guaidó.

Crucially, Mr Maduro retains the support of the military, but ahead of the demonstrations Mr Guaidó was given a boost after an air force general - Francisco Yanez - became the highest-ranking military official yet to pledge support for the opposition leader.

Mr Guaidó says he has held secret meetings with the military to win support for ousting Mr Maduro and also reached out to China, one of Mr Maduro's most important backers.

How will the aid scheme work?

Mr Guaidó does not control any territory in Venezuela, so instead he is planning to set up collection centres in neighbouring countries where Venezuelans have fled to.

https://twitter.com/jguaido/status/1092085663279792128

He said he wanted to set up an international coalition to gather aid at three points, and press Venezuela's army to let it into the country.

In a tweet, US National Security Adviser John Bolton said plans were being advanced this weekend.

https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/1091886111134236672

Mr Maduro has rejected letting aid into the country, telling supporters on Saturday "we've never been nor are we a country of beggars".

US President Donald Trump has told CBS that the use of military force remains "an option".

Honestly, it's not a bad plan. If Guaidó can successfully convince the military to allow food aid into the country, it severely undermines Maduro's legitimacy and gives Guaidó an instant win. And so long as food aid is just sitting just across the border, that makes Maduro look like more and more of an rear end in a top hat for refusing to allow food into the country while people are starving.

Also, more countries are looking at recognizing Guaidó if Maduro doesn't call for a new Presidential election (since everyone can see that the call for parliamentary elections is complete and utter horseshit)

https://twitter.com/ReutersVzla/status/1092219853337911296

https://twitter.com/ReutersVzla/status/1092219490459357185

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'm surprised Austria and Hungary didn't do so already. I guess it's the EU cockblocking them.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Negrostrike posted:

I'm surprised Austria and Hungary didn't do so already. I guess it's the EU cockblocking them.

The EU parliament has already voted to recognize him at least.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Some news!

Honestly, it's not a bad plan. If Guaidó can successfully convince the military to allow food aid into the country, it severely undermines Maduro's legitimacy and gives Guaidó an instant win. And so long as food aid is just sitting just across the border, that makes Maduro look like more and more of an rear end in a top hat for refusing to allow food into the country while people are starving.

if you are less charitable, you could also suggest that this is a ploy to set up military encampments on the border to prepare for an invasion. self-defense against any incursion into venezuelan territory can then be cast as a cold-blooded attack on us forces involved in food aid in the media, and used as a pretext for war.

hopefully, this is just paranoia and john bolton and guaido only want to distribute food into venezuela.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

GoluboiOgon posted:

if you are less charitable, you could also suggest that this is a ploy to set up military encampments on the border to prepare for an invasion. self-defense against any incursion into venezuelan territory can then be cast as a cold-blooded attack on us forces involved in food aid in the media, and used as a pretext for war.

hopefully, this is just paranoia and john bolton and guaido only want to distribute food into venezuela.

I don't see any suggestion in Acebuckeye's post that the US military would be involved in transporting or distributing the aid, at least not past the collection points outside Venezuela. Any attempt to stage a provocation with US troops on the Colombia-Venezuela border would inevitably raise the question of what those troops were doing there.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

The US is ignoring international law for a reason. The sanctions are a flagrant violation international law which needs to go through the UNSC.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Presenting Nipples posted:

The US is ignoring international law for a reason. The sanctions are a flagrant violation international law which needs to go through the UNSC.

No they are not.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Some news!

Also, more countries are looking at recognizing Guaidó if Maduro doesn't call for a new Presidential election (since everyone can see that the call for parliamentary elections is complete and utter horseshit)

https://twitter.com/ReutersVzla/status/1092219853337911296

https://twitter.com/ReutersVzla/status/1092219490459357185

Plus, think of all the CIA that can get in through this vector.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Judakel posted:

Plus, think of all the CIA that can get in through this vector.

Yeah, man, CIA is gonna send in so much LSD laced Nescafe... Maybe agents hidden in every bag of corn!

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Halfway to Caracas when a horrified CIA pilot realizes they forgot to pressurize the cargo hold.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

while I somewhat doubt you specifically would answer this if you could, at what point do the sanctions actually violate international law?

freezing the assets of assholes who happen to be / because they are foreign government officials? blocking particular sorts of financial transactions while letting others through? blocking a wacko new narrow-use currency?

the gold stuff and the new oil stuff seems like it might cross the line but I genuinely don't know

fake edit: looks like unilateral sanctions aren't illegal under UN rules, except for when they are :v: (ie they're not UN illegal unless they violate another UN rule) I think you're confusing "the security council can impose sanctions that require multilateral compliance" with "sanctions that don't have SC approval are illegal"

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

There are some interpretations of international law that assert that economic sanctions violate a nation’s collective right to development. But I don’t know of any cases where unilateral sanctions have been found to be illegal so as far as I know it’s just some scholars’ hot take.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

while I somewhat doubt you specifically would answer this if you could, at what point do the sanctions actually violate international law?

freezing the assets of assholes who happen to be / because they are foreign government officials? blocking particular sorts of financial transactions while letting others through? blocking a wacko new narrow-use currency?

the gold stuff and the new oil stuff seems like it might cross the line but I genuinely don't know

fake edit: looks like unilateral sanctions aren't illegal under UN rules, except for when they are :v: (ie they're not UN illegal unless they violate another UN rule) I think you're confusing "the security council can impose sanctions that require multilateral compliance" with "sanctions that don't have SC approval are illegal"

Hypotheticals are pointless. It's quite clear that the current sanctions will deny Venezuela from the right of economic development which is a basic human right. It will lead to extreme famine which is also illegal. And yes the impended crisis will be far worse than the current one for those who suggest it "can't get any worse".

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Warbadger posted:

Yeah, man, CIA is gonna send in so much LSD laced Nescafe... Maybe agents hidden in every bag of corn!

You guys are shockingly dumb.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Judakel posted:

You guys are shockingly dumb.

dude the CIA doesn't need any kind of cover to get into Venezuela, the border with Columbia is a hotbed for smuggling as it is. The ulterior motive of offering food is clearly to destabilize Maduro's support both amongst the wider populace and the military and to undermine his legitimacy, trying to factor the boogeyman of the CIA into it doesn't actually add anything to the conversation as it's baseless and worthless speculation.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

You guys kept on complaining about the "economic war" being waged by the US and now you finally got it this month.

I think it's a basic no-brainer that we should give food and medicine to a bunch of starving people. Don't you?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

To be honest my main concerns are that step-President will steal the food and use it to line his pockets like Maduro did with CLAP, or that the Venezuelan National Guard will seize it and do the same.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Hypotheticals are pointless. It's quite clear that the current sanctions will deny Venezuela from the right of economic development which is a basic human right. It will lead to extreme famine which is also illegal. And yes the impended crisis will be far worse than the current one for those who suggest it "can't get any worse".

If deliberately causing famine is illegal, drag Maduro to the Hague.

Hopefully there will be a comprehensive, international-based food aid plan for Venezuela set in motion immediately, which will not be blocked by Maduro (or any other actor).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Are people still flooding out of Venezuela? I’m surprised I haven’t really heard much in a couple months. Did it slow down or is it just the "new normal" and thus no longer news?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
From what I can tell it's been the new normal for over a year now that people just pour through the border, mostly to colombia.

Also,
https://twitter.com/IntheNow_tweet/status/1090670102209544192

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
I haven't seen any new info, UNHCR is still saying around 3 million people have left venezuela, but only like half a million have applied for refugee/asylum status. Which seems crazy, 10% of the countries population has left the country.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GreyjoyBastard posted:

When has the USA ever cared about violating international law?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
e: bah w/e

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Hmm looks like the thing that I spent the entire thread trying to warn would happen, and being told over and over would absolutely never happen... is happening...

It's pretty telling that they just don't even bother to dress things up in some propaganda rhetoric to justify imperialist aggression anymore. They can just be open about what they're doing and what it's really about because they know that at this point nothing can stop them and that there are so many people will stand with them in support. They can leave it to the media pundits to do the work of spinning the thing into something that the liberals who still pretend to care about humanitarian values can swallow.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bob le Moche posted:

Hmm looks like the thing that I spent the entire thread trying to warn would happen, and being told over and over would absolutely never happen... is happening...

It's pretty telling that they just don't even bother to dress things up in some propaganda rhetoric to justify imperialist aggression anymore. They can just be open about what they're doing and what it's really about because they know that at this point nothing can stop them and that there are so many people will stand with them in support. They can leave it to the media pundits to do the work of spinning the thing into something that the liberals who still pretend to care about humanitarian values can swallow.

This is standard modus operandi for the USA and lol at anyone who unironically bought the CIA agit propaganda.

The USA is exacerbating all the economic problems over there, there's extremely tenuous evidence that any looting/robbery/embezzlement was happening on Maduro's part, and US intervention = privatize all your poo poo and sell it back to you for more than you were paying before and murder the gently caress out of anyone who doesn't like it.

What about the "looting" of food supplies by private entities buying up cheap food at subsidized prices for export out of the country? Nah that's not what we want to focus on lol it's all about that oil oil oil.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 4, 2019

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Moridin920 posted:

... there's extremely tenuous evidence that any looting/robbery/embezzlement was happening on Maduro's part...

The only "tenuous" thing here is any relationship of the above statement to reality.

How can you expect to be taken at all seriously saying stuff like this?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Truga posted:

From what I can tell it's been the new normal for over a year now that people just pour through the border, mostly to colombia.

Also,
https://twitter.com/IntheNow_tweet/status/1090670102209544192

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ishmaeldaro/quirky-viral-video-channel-is-funded-by-the-russian-govt

Five seconds with google.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rust Martialis posted:

The only "tenuous" thing here is any relationship of the above statement to reality.

Where is the evidence aside from a US probe and a bunch of US banks saying "yeah totally look at these wires?"

Why do we not care that the banks are supposedly laundering all this money? Because it's just a drop in the bucket relative to the other hundreds of billions they launder for cartel/terror groups every year or what?

Figure out who laundered Maduro's money and pull their charter. Should be simple.

Rust Martialis posted:

I don't care what this thread thinks to be honest. For dozens of pages it was the worst kind of CIA apologia. Get your heads out of the sand.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 4, 2019

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Bolton does say what the title of the video is saying. Yes, it is a pro-Russian news service but we're talking about the content of the video here.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

It's insane that you see a clip of Bolton re-affirming what he and the state department have been saying for over a year but because Russians showed you the clip it must be just entirely fake and not real or even worth discussion.

Holy poo poo.

The USA funds the massacre of civilians in Yemen and around the globe but you think they care about the Venezuelan people? Why? It's 100% about privatizing assets, controlling oil markets, and hegemony in South America.

You're a rube if you think it is anything else. To these supply siders privatizing everything *is* helping.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 4, 2019

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Moridin920 posted:

What about the "looting" of food supplies by private entities buying up cheap food at subsidized prices for export out of the country?

Why would the government allow that to happen? It seems like exactly the kind of thing you should expect and plan for with big subsidies for anything

If food hoarding by certain companies is actually a big problem why didn't Maduro just nationalize those companies and distribute the food?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flavahbeast posted:

Why would the government allow that to happen? It seems like exactly the kind of thing you should expect and plan for with big subsidies for anything

If food hoarding by certain companies is actually a big problem why didn't Maduro just nationalize those companies and distribute the food?

Scrree posted:

people keep saying that and while i don't disagree in spirit, i do think people underestimate the difficulty of building productive forces in a world system entirely designed to keep nations like venezuela underdeveloped.

like, consider the intense rage directed at the PSUV's government for essentially the crime of feeding/housing/educating poor people and maintaining national sovereignty over their oil reserves. if Chávez had brought out the guillotines and began purging bourgeois parasites in earnest, it would've been an easy choice for yanqui executives like bush or obama to incinerate the whole country. 'we had to destroy caracas to save it'

looking back over the last two decades, the revolutionary strategy of the PSUV has to been maintain control of the bourgeois state at any cost, try and freeze the mechanisms of state oppression against the poor (i.e. make wealthy venezuelans actively hire mercenaries to murder indigenous/peasant advocates of land reform instead of just relying on the cops like they would in other countries), and use the surplus of the oil industry to develop alternative social and political structures -- the land reform act, the mass production of social housing, the mass enrollment of students and elimination of illiteracy, the civilian militias, etc.

the fact that they left an active opposition in the country has meant continuous sabotage both internal (government officials acting chauvinistically against the poor and indigenous, protected by layers of bureaucracy) and external (that 'Politics of Food' article posted earlier in the thread pointed out how the food shortages that began in 2014 were basically a targeted strike against working-class women, who are the bedrock of support for the PSUV). so the continued existence of reactionary forces within venezuela has obviously harmed the bolivarian revolution, but the path of compromise and peace that Chávez began and Maduro continued might've bought the PSUV vital time to build up alternative structures. two decades is a pretty long time for an active socialist movement to exist in 'america's backyard'.

much to the consternation of the nation's comprador elite, the poor of Venezuela are more motivated, more educated, and better armed than they have ever been before. they may still fail, given how vast the imperial powers arrayed against them are, and counter-revolution may sweep the land and bring decades of terror and regression, but i think it's reductive to say that Chávez should've made one simple choice or that the PSUV's revolutionary strategy was entirely senseless.

\/\/\/ that's also not a bad answer

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 4, 2019

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Flavahbeast posted:

Regardless of whether you think Maduro is good or bad, the one thing that is clear from having watched videos of him and seen him in action is that Maduro is wildly incompetent. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Moridin920 posted:

there's extremely tenuous evidence that any looting/robbery/embezzlement was happening on Maduro's part

lmao