Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Is Feast for Odin still the best "making weird shaped tiles fit on your board" game?

Small city and antiquity imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

You might be the only person I know that doesn’t like Patchwork! But yeah, that and Feast are the best of the litter by a mile.

Barenpark gets a lot of praise too for a non-Uwe

I'm not even sure why I don't really like patchwork. It's mildly pleasant on the surface, but whatever deeper strategy is there, and I'm sure there's some, is uninteresting to me.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Patchwork is an extreme tempo game disguised as a cute tableau builder. You can fill 2/3 of your board in the last 1/3 of the game, and the entire game is determining when to make the turn. If you turn too early you end up giving your opponent a bunch of free moves at the end of the game because you run out of space. If you make the turn too late you end the game giving up your entire bankroll to –2 spaces.

In the first half, maybe even 2/3 of the game, thinking at ALL about how your board is "coming together" is a trap. Building with the 7-point bonus in mind is a trap. The shapes and how they fit almost never matter in the early and mid game, just get them down on the board as efficiently as possible.

MOST importantly, NEVER buy a piece on the first 4–5 turns that doesn't produce income. The one caveat to that is, the person going first loses if neither player buys a tile the entire game. So if you start off with a bad opening choice and your opponent refuses to buy in to move the choices, you'll eventually have to break the stalemate.

Not trying to sell you on Patchwork if it's not your cup of tea, but it's a nasty little game between people who know what they're doing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Huxley posted:

Patchwork is an extreme tempo game disguised as a cute tableau builder. You can fill 2/3 of your board in the last 1/3 of the game, and the entire game is determining when to make the turn. If you turn too early you end up giving your opponent a bunch of free moves at the end of the game because you run out of space. If you make the turn too late you end the game giving up your entire bankroll to –2 spaces.

In the first half, maybe even 2/3 of the game, thinking at ALL about how your board is "coming together" is a trap. Building with the 7-point bonus in mind is a trap. The shapes and how they fit almost never matter in the early and mid game, just get them down on the board as efficiently as possible.

MOST importantly, NEVER buy a piece on the first 4–5 turns that doesn't produce income. The one caveat to that is, the person going first loses if neither player buys a tile the entire game. So if you start off with a bad opening choice and your opponent refuses to buy in to move the choices, you'll eventually have to break the stalemate.

Not trying to sell you on Patchwork if it's not your cup of tea, but it's a nasty little game between people who know what they're doing.

Part of the problem is that I don't really play 2p abstracts with my wife, and if I'm playing a 2p abstract with someone else, I'd much rather play go, shogi, or learn tak or something.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Patchwork is great and accessible.

Cottage Garden is good and handles up to four, but there's a lot of table space needed and lots of upkeep and slightly weird scoring rules and stuff that doesn't make sense except to Gamers. Plus there just is a lot going on over top of the game underneath in general.

Indian Summer is super pretty but it has a very strong resource conversion game element to it. Tile placement really just serves to get you bonus tokens, which can be used or "converted up" to more valuable ones. Games among people who even vaguely know what they are doing will come down more to who scored more bonus tokens rather than being about the tiles, exactly.

I haven't played Spring Meadow, but it sounds more towards the "lay tiles well" end of the spectrum.

Barenpark is a more pure tile layer, like Patchwork but handles up to four and is really elegant with the "what you see is what you get" design. Really accessible and a solid game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FulsomFrank posted:

Nice, how many players did you end up with? Did you have people doing simultaneous turns? What did you cap trading times to? Did your group enjoy it?

Just 5 due to table space. Most of the game was simultaneous turns and people took to heart the disasters and not fighting to the detriment of your two peoples while everyone else prospers. But there were a few times where someone wanted to make sure another person was abiding the boundary treaties. Trading times didn't have to be capped since with so few players, there was only so much trading. The nice thing is that people realized calamities just happened so nobody really brought too much attention to getting or giving away calamities. Sometimes there was no trading while people recovered and didn't want to take risks. Thematic! The group enjoyed it a ton. They were already looking forward to the next game with 6-7 on Sunday.

Only thing I'm really sad about is that there are no files of the player aid so I can make more. I was planning to laminate them so people can circle their techs and more easily see potential tech paths.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 4, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Root and Riverfolk are in stock at CSI if anyone is still hunting.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/5125

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bottom Liner posted:

You might be the only person I know that doesn’t like Patchwork! But yeah, that and Feast are the best of the litter by a mile.

Me!

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I finally got my Space Empires: 4x bot for the Alien Empires solo scenario fully functional. It's a Web app, so there's nothing to download or install.

If you care about this sort of thing, I'd love it if you'd try it out and send me feedback.

App: https://alien-empires-bot.herokuapp.com/

Description & source code: https://github.com/Jon-Varner/alien-empires-bot

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That is rad as hell!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

While we're talking about 2p games...

I took the thread's recommendation on 7 Wonders Duel and Agricola: ACBS and snagged them both on deals recently. I like 7WD better, but both will get lots of play in my house, so thanks for the good recommendation, thread!

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Is The Quacks of Quedlinburg as good as everybody is saying? It sounds like an interesting idea but it's tough to get a real feel about a game when the praise is so effusive. If anything the lack of criticism makes me more hesitant to buy it.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Huxley posted:

It's misleading how Patchwork looks like a peaceful building game at first glance. Play it a few times and it turns out to be extremely tight & mean.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Redundant posted:

Is The Quacks of Quedlinburg as good as everybody is saying? It sounds like an interesting idea but it's tough to get a real feel about a game when the praise is so effusive. If anything the lack of criticism makes me more hesitant to buy it.

-very little player interaction
-push your luck combined with engine building leads to runaway leaders. Get lucky the first few turns and you'll have a better bag than the others.

It's a creative design but it it's not something that everyone will like. The closest comparison I can think of is Port Royal.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Redundant posted:

I would get it as a $15-20 filler but $40 for a simple push your luck game feels way too high. It's charming and a great choice for families and kids though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Redundant posted:

Both the SUSD (positive) review and the SVWAG (negative) review had me completely disinterested. The buy a good tile, and maybe never see that tile from your draw bag is a real turn off. I'll play it if I see it locally, but I strongly doubt I'll be picking it up.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Patchwork is the cutest little knife fight of a game.
I also absolutely cannot win that game against my wife. She always clobbers me by a good margin at it

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I saw some people playing QoQ last week and watched for a round. Don't know why a push your luck game needs so many different pieces. There also appeared to be no player interaction at all.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Huxley posted:

MOST importantly, NEVER buy a piece on the first 4–5 turns that doesn't produce income.

Yeah listen to this. Any buttons on the tiles you buy early will be income on each of the income tiles, of which there are many left in the rest of the game.

Time is also important in that paying for a tile that cost you a lot of time means that your opponent will get several turns in a row - you don't generally want to let that happen.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Thanks for the QoQ thoughts. I'm a sucker for a Kennerspiel winner so I figured I might have been missing something. I still need to find a good engine builder though. I get to play Clank! tomorrow which will give me my temporary fix, I know it's not this threads favourite game but I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Now I just need to stop myself from buying the overpriced copy of Inis in my LGS and my resolution is safe for another week.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Papes posted:

Small city and antiquity imo

The 'problem' with antiquity is that it's super tight and AFFO is very loose. If you want a loose game, get AFFO, if you want a murderously tight game get antiquity.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quacks is fine for what it is but I would highly recommend Thebes if you find a secondhand copy. It's also a push-your-luck game where you draw from a bag but everyone is drawing from the same community bags that are filled with various amounts of junk and good stuff but you always replace the junk so the inherent value of these bags is constantly dwindling. It uses a neat turn mechanism where each action takes X number of weeks and everyone behind you goes until they're no longer behind. Probably not the first to do it, but it predates Patchwork the only other game I've seen it. The result is a luck-mitigation game with a high degree of player interaction, but not in a cheap take-that design, where timing is more important than blind luck. Basically how I like my luck driven games.

It's a tragedy Queen hasn't republished it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

al-azad posted:

Quacks is fine for what it is but I would highly recommend Thebes if you find a secondhand copy. It's also a push-your-luck game where you draw from a bag but everyone is drawing from the same community bags that are filled with various amounts of junk and good stuff but you always replace the junk so the inherent value of these bags is constantly dwindling. It uses a neat turn mechanism where each action takes X number of weeks and everyone behind you goes until they're no longer behind. Probably not the first to do it, but it predates Patchwork the only other game I've seen it. The result is a luck-mitigation game with a high degree of player interaction, but not in a cheap take-that design, where timing is more important than blind luck. Basically how I like my luck driven games.

It's a tragedy Queen hasn't republished it.

I assume you mean since the 2013 reprint? Yeah it's due. You could always let them know, if they hear enough people want it I'm sure they'll think more about a new edition than if they don't.

Handy tip: Thebes is 100% language independent, so you can also look for it under its original title of Der Jenseits von Theben.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Queen reprints poo poo games, surely they'll reprint Thebes eventually?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

^^^ Queen reprints what sells. And if you're suggesting they only reprint poo poo games, Thebes is far from poo poo. It was I think the first game to use a time allocation mechanic for actions, so whoever has spent the least time acts next.

I played Catan today for the first time in what must be 15 years at least, and was reminded why it's been 15 years. I was also reminded of why it's a really great gateway game: I was playing with a group of inexperienced gamers, and when the girl who won realised she'd won she was so absolutely pleased.

(This was nice for another reason. When we'd played Love Letter just before I opened the game with a Guard and called her number correctly, a trick I pull off with great regularity. She thought it was hilarious once she actually got to play a card, but she couldn't believe it when it happened.)

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Do we know when the second expansion for Root is expected? And is it going to be a Kickstarter?

DogCop
Aug 6, 2008

Bake him away, toys.

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Do we know when the second expansion for Root is expected? And is it going to be a Kickstarter?

Should be a Kickstarter sometime in March. It'll include new rulebooks and player boards for the base game to implement the rules changes as well.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

u brexit ukip it posted:

Yeah listen to this. Any buttons on the tiles you buy early will be income on each of the income tiles, of which there are many left in the rest of the game.

Time is also important in that paying for a tile that cost you a lot of time means that your opponent will get several turns in a row - you don't generally want to let that happen.

The 10/3 L-shaped piece might be the worst piece with buttons on it. You have to take it very early for that one to be good, and very early, you will almost always have better options.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Breaking news, people enjoy games for different reasons :siren:

What game is that for?

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

CaptainRightful posted:

I finally got my Space Empires: 4x bot for the Alien Empires solo scenario fully functional. It's a Web app, so there's nothing to download or install.

If you care about this sort of thing, I'd love it if you'd try it out and send me feedback.

App: https://alien-empires-bot.herokuapp.com/

Description & source code: https://github.com/Jon-Varner/alien-empires-bot

I was planning on having a solo game this week, so I will give this one a test run.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Merauder posted:

Breaking news, people enjoy games for different reasons :siren:

What game is that for?

idk but its alt name is Stephenson's Rocket so maybe Die Rocketvolkannen der Stephenschultz

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

al-azad posted:

idk but its alt name is Stephenson's Rocket so maybe Die Rocketvolkannen der Stephenschultz

Looked it up, it's just under that name, and appears there's some joke I'm probably missing, it's a 20 year old game without much in the way of components. :shrug:

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Merauder posted:

Looked it up, it's just under that name, and appears there's some joke I'm probably missing, it's a 20 year old game without much in the way of components. :shrug:

There was a kickstarter reprint.

I'm in the process of making my peace with people hyping mediocre games for their overproduced components by telling myself that boardgame-buying enthusiasts have a right to prefer shiny things.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Merauder posted:

The alt name doesn't have the apostrophe. It was probably put there years ago when searching was a bit less smart about punctuation.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

March of the Ants is good, right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I really want to try it, since I'm fine with eclipse and fuckin grew up on SimAnt. I've heard it's good.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Yeah, it's cheap, has a short playing time and is a non sci-fi (a setting I don't really like) 4x game.

I shouldn't really hestiate...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Selecta84 posted:

Yeah, it's cheap, has a short playing time and is a non sci-fi (a setting I don't really like) 4x game.

I shouldn't really hestiate...

Don't, it is pretty good. I haven't had it out in a while, mind you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Purchase complete