Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That all sounds like a cat to me. If she was a pregnant stray, she might be especially food-motivated right now, or that could just be her personality. The vet can give you guidance about feeding and weight if you're concerned, but plenty of cats will yell for food even when they're being fed enough, so don't let that worry you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Also if she was recently pregnant/nursing she's probably used to free feeding mass quantities of high-calorie food. When I foster moms with kittens they get unlimited kitten chow to make sure they have the calories to produce milk. Now that she's no longer needed as a milk factory she doesn't need all that food, but she's used to having it so she's going to scream for it. It might die down after a few weeks of you not giving in. Or she might just be like my dummy Odin who screams at me every time I'm by the food bowls even if he has food in it, because he wants me to pick up and set down the already full bowl again. :rolleyes:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Marchegiana posted:

Or she might just be like my dummy Odin who screams at me every time I'm by the food bowls even if he has food in it, because he wants me to pick up and set down the already full bowl again. :rolleyes:

Sweetheart has literally watched me use her dry food scoop to scoop up what's in her bowl and pour it right back in and been happy as a clam to eat it up.

Cats are hilarious.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I posted in here a few months ago about adopting a new cat who a couple of my friends a few states over found hyperventilating and nearly dead outside of a library. Well, I've had the little guy for a couple of months now and I feel compelled to post pictures because he's adorable.

His name is Frederic and he is a very very good boy :3:

It's been kind of funny to watch him learn to be a housecat. He was really young when my friends found him, probably just under a year old, so he was pretty adaptable. He's always been really friendly and really sweet. They had to teach him to eat out of a bowl instead of having to put the food on the ground for him, for example. Since living with me and my girlfriend, he's been steadily learning that cuddling with humans is good and comfy. He started out by sleeping on my pillow at night (which he still does sometimes) and eventually learned that if he snuggled up to my girlfriend she'd put her arms around him and he could just settle in and be the coziest little cat.

He even gets along well with our other cat, Jasmine. She swipes at him sometimes but generally they coexist peacefully, and I've even caught her licking his fur a few times.

My only real concern is that he has a chronic respiratory issue and sneezes out at least a couple of big globs of snot every day, which can be kind of tough to clean up. He doesn't seem too bothered by it, but I'm wondering if any of you are aware of any medications I should look for/ask a vet about that can at least control the symptoms.

When I say "chronic" I basically mean "we paid the University of Wisconsin animal hospital $1000 to run a shitload of tests and they found absolutely no cause for this and he is healthy in every other way," so I feel pretty safe in assuming that he doesn't have an infection we can cure and it's just about managing the symptoms from here on out. It doesn't affect his appetite either, which is great--I know sometimes cats with chronic congestion don't eat well because they can't smell their food, but this little guy is a food vacuum and will eat any amount of any food we give him.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 4, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Antivehicular posted:

That all sounds like a cat to me. If she was a pregnant stray, she might be especially food-motivated right now, or that could just be her personality. The vet can give you guidance about feeding and weight if you're concerned, but plenty of cats will yell for food even when they're being fed enough, so don't let that worry you.

Neither of our cats are starving but if they ever hear a can make noise even if it's just being shuffled in a cabinet they come running to tell me all about how starved they are.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Ditto. I keep Mel's food in a cabinet under my bathroom sink, and if I so much as bump the door she comes dashing over from wherever she is to jump up on the counter and do her "feed me!" routine. When I'm actually feeding her she also really likes to nuzzle the food cans, which actually delays the process of feeding her because I can't open the drat can and pour it in her bowl when she's too busy cuddling it. :3:

Wet food update: finally found a food she seems to really like and is also relatively cheap on Amazon, so I'll go with it for now. Wet is still a huge pain in the rear end compared to dry and it means I have to deal with her fits of hunger at the bowl instead of just letting her graze, but doctor's order and all.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Sydin posted:

Ditto. I keep Mel's food in a cabinet under my bathroom sink, and if I so much as bump the door she comes dashing over from wherever she is to jump up on the counter and do her "feed me!" routine. When I'm actually feeding her she also really likes to nuzzle the food cans, which actually delays the process of feeding her because I can't open the drat can and pour it in her bowl when she's too busy cuddling it. :3:

This sounds adorable. Is there video?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

This is me at the cat adoption place I volunteer for. Touch the food drawer, they all come running. I can barely get a can open without some of them jumping on the counter and nuzzling my hand.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

When I say "chronic" I basically mean "we paid the University of Wisconsin animal hospital $1000 to run a shitload of tests and they found absolutely no cause for this and he is healthy in every other way," so I feel pretty safe in assuming that he doesn't have an infection we can cure and it's just about managing the symptoms from here on out. It doesn't affect his appetite either, which is great--I know sometimes cats with chronic congestion don't eat well because they can't smell their food, but this little guy is a food vacuum and will eat any amount of any food we give him.

We've been on this journey with our old cat. About 5 or 6 years ago she started sneezing a lot and we've spent thousands on tests without any clues. There is a pill (don't recall it was very common) that helps the symptoms but the vet said it's up to us whether it's worth the bother to the cat. We tried giving it to her every other day for a few months and it definitely helped. Unfortunately, she never stopped throwing a fit over the pills. She refused all attempts to coat the pill in something else (even tuna as she'd just eat around the pill) and so had to be held down every time and get the pill shoved down her throat. This seemed to bother her far more than the sneezing so we gave up on it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Kyrosiris posted:

Sweetheart has literally watched me use her dry food scoop to scoop up what's in her bowl and pour it right back in and been happy as a clam to eat it up.

Cats are hilarious.

Yup, Buffy has become more vocal as she ages but she's always had this thing where she'll come and sit next to me slowly getting closer until I get up, leader her downstairs to the kitchen and show her what's in her bowls. She then eats it and I can leave again but she won't just go down by herself.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Len posted:

Neither of our cats are starving but if they ever hear a can make noise even if it's just being shuffled in a cabinet they come running to tell me all about how starved they are.

I free feed my kittens but if they are awake enough to realize that I am heading into the kitchen? They will follow me and let me know how very important it is that I open the food cupboard and provide them with more food. Even if they currently have uneaten food waiting for them, which they always do.

Should I prove particularly uncooperative there then the one of them will stretch up (to show how big and mighty she is?) then sink her murder claws into my kneecap as she purrs and curves up her floofy tail.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
You all are lucky.
If I so much as dare to enter the kitchen. The cats will come sprinting and leap on me claws out and climb on my back to watch me prepare their food.
they just sit there watching as I put their bowls on the floor and jump off.
I am now always wearing a vest when I go to the kitchen.

They have now been sterilized and they have become so vocal.
They aren't meowing for food but to play. They wont come to me. they will sit outside the room. Meowing. Run to the play area as soon as i stand up

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I feed my cat once a day and that's it. Occasionally topping up the bowl with just a little bit as she goes to bed.

Is that weird? It's an all in one dry food.
Like.. she's not dead..

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Infinitum posted:

I feed my cat once a day and that's it. Occasionally topping up the bowl with just a little bit as she goes to bed.

Is that weird? It's an all in one dry food.
Like.. she's not dead..

We fill their bowls in the morning with a cup each since they're alone for over 8 hours and then put 1/2 cup in each before bed.

And mine are also still alive. They eat a dry food kept in the living room next to their food dishes but they still flip poo poo when I touch a can

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, we're the same way with Sweetheart. She has a dry food bowl that gets kept topped up at night for her through the work day, plus gets wet food for breakfast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

We've been on this journey with our old cat. About 5 or 6 years ago she started sneezing a lot and we've spent thousands on tests without any clues. There is a pill (don't recall it was very common) that helps the symptoms but the vet said it's up to us whether it's worth the bother to the cat. We tried giving it to her every other day for a few months and it definitely helped. Unfortunately, she never stopped throwing a fit over the pills. She refused all attempts to coat the pill in something else (even tuna as she'd just eat around the pill) and so had to be held down every time and get the pill shoved down her throat. This seemed to bother her far more than the sneezing so we gave up on it.

Hopefully he'll be okay with pills. Our other cat takes pills really easily with Pill Pockets (soft treats you can hide pills in) so maybe he'll follow suit. It's worth a shot, at least.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to deal with a cat that wont' quit knocking over our pet waterer? I've tried giving him better water thinking he was displeased with tap water, and I've made it a point not to reward him with any attention when he does it, but the behavior persists. I'm thinking about just strapping the waterer to the wall somehow but if anyone has any ideas that doesn't involve drilling holes in rental walls, I would be all ears.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to deal with a cat that wont' quit knocking over our pet waterer? I've tried giving him better water thinking he was displeased with tap water, and I've made it a point not to reward him with any attention when he does it, but the behavior persists. I'm thinking about just strapping the waterer to the wall somehow but if anyone has any ideas that doesn't involve drilling holes in rental walls, I would be all ears.

Instead of going for the wall, some perforated steel used to strap it to a plywood base would probably work just fine, or you can get excessively creative...

http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=3023

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You could glue a big weight to it/inside it/under it.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

Instead of going for the wall, some perforated steel used to strap it to a plywood base would probably work just fine, or you can get excessively creative...

http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=3023

Ah, good idea. I could attach it to a plywood base with some L brackets. Thanks for the suggestion. That would also serve as a buffer between the water and my hardwood floor, because he's still gonna scoop it out and fling it everywhere if he can't straight up topple the thing.

taqueso posted:

You could glue a big weight to it/inside it/under it.

I thought about this as well but anything heavy enough seems to be considerably more expensive than the basic hardware required to just mount it to something. He's a pretty big boy and it's surprising what he can push over if he wants.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It depends on the cat/cats. With one cat it's not a problem to free feed. With two you have to be sure one fatty isnt eating all the food meant for two cats or if one's on a special diet you've to watch them etc.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

My cats have discovered/decided that bread is food, they mangled open the wrapper on a loaf of bread then, just to be helpful and considerate, seem to have taken a single bite out of each slice in the entire loaf.

It was a nice wholemeal loaf and I am in the UK, so no added sugar or anything, it is probably not bad for them, just empty carbs which they must have really liked given just how much of the bread they ate despite having dry food available.

Odd little creatures.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Is one of them named Boris, by any chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wScyJp38XjE

Anyway, in news about my cat, Lucy's gained a positive association with her harness and pesters me to take her out whenever I'm holding it. :sotw: It's probably come about because the deal we've seemingly struck up; I tell her (via leash-pulling) where not to go, and she decides (also via leash-pulling) whether or not she stays in one place. Thought this might be relevant to anyone thinking of or trying to harness train their cats; no matter what, they're still gonna be cats.

She also met a dog. Kind of. From across the street. We were walking a little bit down the pavement when she suddenly pancaked herself. I wondered why, and looked where she was looking and cute curly dog. It was a little tense as the pets involved didn't know what to think and the owners were hoping the critters would want to get closer. The tension eventually got too much for Lu and she ran back up the driveway to where she last saw a juicy lizard. (It has so far eluded her.)

Next day, we were out there again. There was no dog, but I think Lucy wanted to cross the road to make sure. The tiny grey idiot stood in the middle of it for a while because she's only ever crossed it once before. Thank gently caress it was 5 am.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cats need fiber too!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Patrat posted:

My cats have discovered/decided that bread is food, they mangled open the wrapper on a loaf of bread then, just to be helpful and considerate, seem to have taken a single bite out of each slice in the entire loaf.

It was a nice wholemeal loaf and I am in the UK, so no added sugar or anything, it is probably not bad for them, just empty carbs which they must have really liked given just how much of the bread they ate despite having dry food available.

Odd little creatures.

If we don't keep our bread up rear end in a top hat absolutely will hunt the loaf and drag it under the bed for later eating. He once took a bag of rice there as well which was super weird.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

We ended up getting the Catit flower fountain which stopped rear end in a top hat from playing in his water. His previous dishes he would push around and watch the water move, drown things in the dish, and/ or rinse his paws off in the water. With this he can't see the water slosh and there isn't room to drown things.

Now if we could just get him to stop covering his food dish. I woke up this morning and he had drug junk mail from across the room and put it over his dish. Why does does it we don't know but he's adamant that paper/plastic bags go over the food dish.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He's hiding his kill for later. Either cover it for him or leave some paper for him to use.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

loving smarter than my MIL's cat. She just scratches at the hardwood floor, trying so hard to bury her food with it.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

We ended up getting the Catit flower fountain which stopped rear end in a top hat from playing in his water. His previous dishes he would push around and watch the water move, drown things in the dish, and/ or rinse his paws off in the water. With this he can't see the water slosh and there isn't room to drown things.

Hmm, interesting. How heavy is it? This would also please our other cat who insists on drinking from a running faucet only. Not sure how the dog would react.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I went through this with Glitch.

She just kept knocking over every different style of bowl I'd buy for her, rubber mates, splashing water everywhere, etc, etc. Nothing seemed to stick.
What worked for me was getting a raised bowl - This one to be precise

Essentially it brought the water up closer to her face so she didn't need to stretch her neck down as much, with the added benefit of a higher wider centre of gravity making it tougher to knock over.

Now she has showers and leaves her water bowl alone.
Cats are weird!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Hmm, interesting. How heavy is it? This would also please our other cat who insists on drinking from a running faucet only. Not sure how the dog would react.

I don't know the exact weight but it holds 3 liters which Google says is almost 7 pounds

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
What is the reigning theory as to why cats love boxes so very much?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
They hate us and want to be shipped off.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

What is the reigning theory as to why cats love boxes so very much?

Scientists have pondered this very question, pouring millions into resesrch documenting and peer-reviewing thousands of cats with millions of boxes.

Their final report was just one sentence; "If they [Cat, x1 (one)] fits, they sits".

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I think the best guess is they like enclosed spaces because it makes them feel safe, and sitting in even a shallow box is more enclosed than no box.

and I guess a circle drawn on the floor is potentially enclosed so probably safer too, better sit in it just in case.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Yeah...

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Scientists have pondered this very question, pouring millions into resesrch documenting and peer-reviewing thousands of cats with millions of boxes.

Their final report was just one sentence; "If they [Cat, x1 (one)] fits, they sits".

They might also sits even if they do not fits, so perhaps it would be "Cat, x0.25"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ema Nymton posted:

They might also sits even if they do not fits, so perhaps it would be "Cat, x0.25"

If the box breaks it becomes bigger for sits. There was a week recently where assholes favorite spot was a destroyed shoebox in the middle of the floor. Absolutely no box shape was left but he laid there proud of his work.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Len posted:

If the box breaks it becomes bigger for sits. There was a week recently where assholes favorite spot was a destroyed shoebox in the middle of the floor. Absolutely no box shape was left but he laid there proud of his work.

Yep. Sweetheart's favorite lounging place is on top of a plastic bag sitting on a broken-down box.

I tried to pick both of them up to get rid of them and she wouldn't stop crying until they were put back. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

Hello cat thread. I work at a vets and am after cat owner advice please.

We’re inviting clients to come in for an evening talk, topic to be decided, and obviously want it to be something people would want to come to. It can be on just about anything cat-related but we already did one on basic first aid not long ago so not that.

Ideally it wants to be something with broad appeal. If we make it too specific, like diabetes or hyperthyroidism or whatever, that’s probably only interesting if you’ve got a cat with that.

Please give me suggestions so I Iook good at work.