Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Armadillo Tank posted:

Croberts has no idea what a top attack anti tank missile is.

https://i.imgur.com/5JoxDWq.jpg

Key word in my post: "stumbled"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well, if you replace "tank" with "bulldozer" a dim light bulb will go off.

Remember that when you're driving your tank or bulldozer you have to say "shhhh" and watch your sonar pings from inside, so the enemy doesn't hear you.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

Remember that when you're driving your tank or bulldozer you have to say "shhhh" and watch your sonar pings from inside, so the enemy doesn't hear you.

Finally, and kudos to you, you discovered the promised game loop.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?geo=US&q=star%20citizen,elite%20dangerous,squadron%2042

:thumbsup:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

loving :lol: at the zero interest in the only product they're working on, the only one they've already been paid for and stand to raise 0 dollars from, and won't be out until 2020 at the earliest and is how they're burning their final wad of fraudulently obtained cash.

Goddamn I love Chris Roberts.

SomethingFrosty
Aug 30, 2018

Flower Power Commando Farmer

Beet Wagon posted:

You can drop out of QT at any time and be floating around in regular space somewhere on the big star system map. I don't know if there's a difference (apparently Elite spins you up your own little instance of "local space" when you drop out of FSD, and Star Citizen doesn't, I guess?) but functionally it is a loading screen in everything but name. Particularly so if you own a fighter where you can't get up and walk around.

I think this is the meeting point of the "WOO LOOK 64BIT WOW" and the "loading screen" idiocies.

Big numbers = better and one map = amazing of course so they wanted the 64bit so they can map a whole solar system as one block and have no loading screens, that's gotta be awesome right?

And therefore Elite is - as we all knew - incurably bad as it doesn't work that way but creates instance-bubbles for local mapping - cheating!

Only then they discover that full 64bit map is a honking massive bit of data. There's no point holding it all together. What with all the bits going on - people moving, vehicles, weapon fire whole bloody planets and moons orbiting and rotating - it's a VAST VAST amount to update every single tick if you're really running a full 64bit mega-size map. So you return to tokens and an existence-bubble background loading just like any other game - but better cos it's SC. Still doesn't get you around the big shared space to update in precise detail though, with no baked-in relative motion it's all got to go together - every rock, ship, person, missile.... This seems to be a sticking point and I think could be what's causing a lot of the ultra-jitter bugs. Trying to maintain a moving frame of reference on a map that size across many players and the server doesn't sound like a fun thing to be patching in at a later date.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dying!

(And not just me with laughter.)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a technicality but it's still true. That's why it's not a lie.

Yeah, cultural difference. It is a lie from my point of view. Mr. Spock would be fooled but Kirk would fight that lying scammer to the death.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I stand with Squadron 23!

....wait, what?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

At first I wondered what the hell was up with Idaho, but then I remembered how many white supremacists live there.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

iospace posted:

That frame rate choppiness, drat.

Now, there are some real world missiles that are designed to have a similar flight path, the FGM-148 Javelin in particular, because the top armor of a tank usually is the thinnest of the exposed armor (see also: the underside, but that's rarely exposed). It's also got a lot of recent play because it's "high tech" and been in CoD recently. So it's entirely in the realm of possibility they modeled the flight path after the Javelin because of CoD :v:

Javelin flight paths, for what it's worth. Top attack:

Direct (traditional) attack:

So CI!G may have stumbled into something that actually has real world relevance! Shame about the rest.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

SomethingFrosty posted:

Big numbers = better and one map = amazing of course so they wanted the 64bit so they can map a whole solar system as one block and have no loading screens, that's gotta be awesome right?

And therefore Elite is - as we all knew - incurably bad as it doesn't work that way but creates instance-bubbles for local mapping - cheating!

Only then they discover that full 64bit map is a honking massive bit of data. There's no point holding it all together. What with all the bits going on - people moving, vehicles, weapon fire whole bloody planets and moons orbiting and rotating - it's a VAST VAST amount to update every single tick if you're really running a full 64bit mega-size map. So you return to tokens and an existence-bubble background loading just like any other game - but better cos it's SC. Still doesn't get you around the big shared space to update in precise detail though, with no baked-in relative motion it's all got to go together - every rock, ship, person, missile.... This seems to be a sticking point and I think could be what's causing a lot of the ultra-jitter bugs. Trying to maintain a moving frame of reference on a map that size across many players and the server doesn't sound like a fun thing to be patching in at a later date.
They're not tracking the contents of every millimetre on the map, that'd be pointless and stupid because space is mostly empty anyway. They're tracking relative object positions. 64bit precision means objects can potentially be much further away from each other without the engine making GBS threads the bed. In laymen's terms, they're using bigger numbers for the coordinate system.

Elite doesn't cheat how you think, the instance bubbles are network instances not map instances. They really do model entire solar systems at once, procedurally and in real time. Elite's gameplay may be an acquired taste, but the engine itself is a technical marvel tbh and if you diss it again I'll loving cut you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

:vince:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tooterfish posted:

They're not tracking the contents of every millimetre on the map, that'd be pointless and stupid because space is mostly empty anyway. They're tracking relative object positions. 64bit precision means objects can potentially be much further away from each other without the engine making GBS threads the bed. In laymen's terms, they're using bigger numbers for the coordinate system.

Elite doesn't cheat how you think, the instance bubbles are network instances not map instances. They really do model entire solar systems at once, procedurally and in real time. Elite's gameplay may be an acquired taste, but the engine itself is a technical marvel tbh and if you diss it again I'll loving cut you.

Its pretty telling that I haven`t watched that movie in ages because I just realized what your avatar is and I don`t know why this is the post that triggered it.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:five:

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

mdxi posted:

At first I wondered what the hell was up with Idaho, but then I remembered how many white supremacists live there.

That doesn't explain MA though.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xjidDu-5RE

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its pretty telling that I haven`t watched that movie in ages because I just realized what your avatar is and I don`t know why this is the post that triggered it.
I didn't buy it.

I'm presuming I got it for making one too many jokes about all Star Citizens being sex offenders.

I wasn't joking though.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

EvilMerlin posted:

Google trends is in ALPHAAAA

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tooterfish posted:

Pretty sure the do the networking/instancing like it is between Supercruise/Glide/Regular flight, because if the game engine had to display someone flying in supercruise from the perspective of someone in normal flight... well, i suppose all you would possibly see is one frame of one pixel and then it would be out of sight again a frame later.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tooterfish posted:

I didn't buy it.

I'm presuming I got it for making one too many jokes about all Star Citizens being sex offenders.

I wasn't joking though.

Its not about who bought it, now excuse me while I go find a convertible to sing in.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Twerk is probably going to start (if he hasn't already) getting annoyed as the fans turn on him for daring to question the vision.

Also that last one... oh my, how times change. Once upon a time it was definitely not pay to win. Now its maybe its a little pay to win.

To be fair, i've had P2W discussions about ED, and while i was on the side of most definitely not pay to win, some of my own arguments for SC being pay to win has led me to agree that there is a bit of P2W in ED with Horizons due to engineering. It does give you an advantage in PvP, although that's not an issue for me, but also in PvE. I once thought of it like WoW or something, where you buy an expansion and get access to higher level areas and higher level stuff, but then i now see elements of P2W in that as well.

I've been ruined, i see P2W everywhere now... maybe because it is. :(

Still, with something like WoW, you're going to different areas where you need to be tougher and have access to the better stuff. In ED/SC then any advantage applies across the board everywhere you go.

Also, to counter engineering, FD needed to make enemies harder (and they did kind of.... at least in CZ, but they just made them bullet sponges which is just an annoyance, although there have been some small improvements to NPC combat and the higher ranked ones do now get engineered stuff themselves). But this then leaves those without Horizons behind.

My hope for the coming year of ED is they announce they are rolling Horizons into the base game so that everyone is on a level playing field and in future avoid adding anything else that separates players like this. I'm pretty sure by now they must have pretty much reached saturation sales with Horizons from those who already want it and are willing to pay for it (loads of Steam and FD sales on Horizons over the years). It might also please some of those who were disgruntled by Engineers being locked behind a payment and bring them back to playing.

In future, perhaps they will add expansions that just limit access to things that don't affect power. Perhaps if engineering had been more about trade offs rather than straight power ups, it would have been better.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tooterfish posted:

I didn't buy it.

I wasn't joking though.

I didn't buy mine either. I presume there is some sort of SA whale around here who keeps throwing money at Lowtax.

Still, at least Lowtax delivered a product....

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Agony Aunt posted:

Pretty sure the do the networking/instancing like it is between Supercruise/Glide/Regular flight, because if the game engine had to display someone flying in supercruise from the perspective of someone in normal flight... well, i suppose all you would possibly see is one frame of one pixel and then it would be out of sight again a frame later.
It's because there's a limit to how many players can be in a single instance. They split instances into relatively small bubbles and dynamically allocate players to them depending where they are in a system. This way you can potentially have many more players than could exist in a single instance running into each other throughout a solar system. The key word is potentially though, because Elite's low player density means it rarely matters.

If they instead made each instance solar system sized, you'd get no transitions between flight modes and you'd be able to see supercruising ships in normal flight no problem (mostly as distant moving points of light). You'd only ever see a limited number of players in each solar system though, or rather you'd see just as many players at once but they'd always be the same players.

I'm a bit torn which is preferable if I'm honest. What they did was technically harder to do, but I think the game might look and feel better if they did it the easy way.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Distant Worlds 2 is going on and those big events always seem to boost ED in the public consciousness

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Luckily Star Citizen has all kinds of big public events too- like that race around the moon, that had a like $60 door charge just to get a vehicle and then failed utterly due to all the bad tech. Or that big launch of the new planet and ship showroom last year, where you had to reload the game four or five times to find a server where the showroom had actually spawned ships. Or that streamer who is definitely not being paid to attempt to generate in-game activities. Just all kinds of real self-organizing fun in Star Citizen.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

TheAgent posted:

thread chat

Anthem is DOA. it's already failed to hit internal pre order goals and unless the cosmetic sales are gangbusters going into q3 there won't be any new content planned for 2020 (they have internal stuff to release until q2 2020 that has already been produced). they need to put another $35m into it over the next year just to maintain their negative income, so I doubt we will see a turn around like the AC series, Rainbow 6, Division or Destiny

it could happen but I highly doubt it. Don't buy that loving game expecting years of post release content. WYSIWYG

also lol at "it's an early build, the dev build is way better" the same excuse used for every bad game forever

goddamn idiots are so easy to con

This is the exact reason I stopped pre-ordering games from anyone. If anything, I am going backwards in time carefully sifting through the wasteland of games that ended up not sucking rear end with Captain Hindsight as my purchasing agent. There is nothing that any game company is offering today that deserves my money up front while they are still in development. The business model has flipped upside down and I need to see a game finished before it gets my pesos. I have a contractor that I hired that has not finished his job and had the nerve to ask me for another deposit because he missed his completion window. As much as I like the guy, those are his problems and he's not getting a dime until he finishes. Same thing applies.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SoftNum posted:

Actually, this makes me wonder if Ben had to leave because he kept bugging Chris about which model of wrench was used to turn the nuts on the bulldozer that pushed bodies around.

If it wasn't his dumbass website, my other thought was that CR got genuinely sick of hearing how "everything would be better with the Wing Commander license!" Or some semantics thereof that ended up being a constant nagging annoyance.

Even CR has moved on, at least until it's time to pull out the old "I'm a jaded old pro, remember Wing Commander? :trustme:". but otherwise I don't think he cares, beyond how much he can take advantage of it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

I've been ruined, i see P2W everywhere now... maybe because it is. :(

Welcome to the RED ZONE comrade. Remember that there are no ethical microtransactions under pay2win

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

That sounds like more-or-less every gamer I meet on the internet these days. See for example Anthem Chat in the past 3 or 4 pages.

I'm beginning to suspect that a lot of people who profess to be gamers but more-or-less constantly poo poo on every game, are just really unhappy on a deep level and don't know how to cope with it. They want games to help them escape, but the problem with games is that they're usually intended to reflect your own self back at you in some kind of fantastical setting and that means there's a big part of you still in the product you're experiencing. If the you in the product is the angry, cynical, socially isolated person who you hate being all the rest of the time, games probably seem like a pretty big disappointment. Star Citizen's not going to make you Malcolm Reynolds if you aren't a charming southern gentleman with a dark past and an uncertain future. It's going to make you a boring angry person shouting about civil war history on the internet because that's what you are. But it'll let you do it in a spaceship.

No loot-shooter or tech tree or new graphical rendering trick in the world is going to give them a moment of personal satisfaction if they don't seek it out for themselves. No game was ever going to be their "Forever home" where they don't have to be themselves anymore, and they weren't intended to be- they're transactions, and if people like doing the thing they're selling then they will probably have a good time with them until the next one comes out. If they don't and they need to argue a bunch of false boundaries into being just to protect the good vibes, maybe they are looking at the wrong pastime.

There is a lot of general vitriol surrounding video games, because unlike almost any other industry, large game publishers often show outright contempt for their consumers and refuse to give them what they want. Instead they ignore demand signals and then try to artificially shape demand towards “live services” they can easily put additional monetization into. Meanwhile they leave huge portions of their market underserved. Can you imagine if Bethesda had just made Fallout 76 into a New Vegas style spinoff? People would have been throwing their money at them.

But you’re right, there’s a subset of gamers who are looking for the Matrix. They want a compete virtual reality to exist in, in which they are powerful and respected. Chris has taped into this market, inadvertently at first, but when money came pouring in after every insane promise he made, he moved the direction of the game towards a space life simulator. Every profession became a full blown second life you could live and find purpose and fulfillment in.

The diehard backers cheer ridiculous things like space whiskey you can slosh around and commuter trains, because they think it moves the dial (no matter how imperceptibly) towards a fully realized virtual universe. That’s why they also view any kind of technical “cheating” to be a sacrilege, everything has to be rendered and “real”. Spaceship JPEG’s are the prefect product for them, because they can imagine that they are pre-buying irrevocable status in this amazing new universe Chris is building.

At this point I doubt most of them even want a finished product, deep down they know it will never live up to their dreams. I think they would be happy with this whole mess going on forever. As long as development continues, it provides a mental relief valve for them, through which they can continue to dream about their new life in space, and not have to face the dismal reality of their real life.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 4, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Does SC even have any AI ships in yet? Like are there AI enemies to fight, or civilian traffic?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

colonelwest posted:

That’s why they also view any kind of technical “cheating” to be a sacrilege

See if you can guess where this quote comes from:

"if you have a crew and you think about you know imagine you've got an Idris and it's got a hundred characters on it; it's exceedingly inefficient if you've got engineers down in the engineering section and there are no other players down there to actually see them. You don't really want them to be pathfinding, animating, doing all of this very computationally expensive stuff it's incredibly wasteful."
"so everywhere we're always thinking about ways that we can you know give you the illusion that it's doing more than what it is, or where we're looking for ways to optimize so that we're getting all of the beneficial end effects maybe in some cases even more like I mentioned earlier without you know with all of the the the rampant waste [...]"
"One of the things we've been looking at is basically a couple of different levels of basically tapping down on the NPC functionality so that you would still get all of the behavioral benefits of having an engineer down in the engineering section he would still repair things that the rate of speed that he normally would. He could still be injured if there was damage done to that part of the ship but we're able to basically turn off some of those high fidelity you know animation stuff like that that really only benefit if a player is there. As long as they perform as they would if you weren't watching them; there's no reason to do all the extra work."
[Applause]

hint: you know
answer: click here

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Virtual Captain posted:

See if you can guess where this quote comes from:

"if you have a crew and you think about you know imagine you've got an Idris and it's got a hundred characters on it; it's exceedingly inefficient if you've got engineers down in the engineering section and there are no other players down there to actually see them. You don't really want them to be pathfinding, animating, doing all of this very computationally expensive stuff it's incredibly wasteful."
"so everywhere we're always thinking about ways that we can you know give you the illusion that it's doing more than what it is, or where we're looking for ways to optimize so that we're getting all of the beneficial end effects maybe in some cases even more like I mentioned earlier without you know with all of the the the rampant waste [...]"
"One of the things we've been looking at is basically a couple of different levels of basically tapping down on the NPC functionality so that you would still get all of the behavioral benefits of having an engineer down in the engineering section he would still repair things that the rate of speed that he normally would. He could still be injured if there was damage done to that part of the ship but we're able to basically turn off some of those high fidelity you know animation stuff like that that really only benefit if a player is there. As long as they perform as they would if you weren't watching them; there's no reason to do all the extra work."
[Applause]

hint: you know
answer: click here

BLASPHEMY!

But yeah the dream is dying before their eyes and turning into little more than the very poor man's ED. They just refuse to admit it, and will twist even direct statements from CIG around in their minds until it validates their dreams.

A zealot would look at this at this and say "But he's only talking about Tier 0 mulitcrew mechanics! Eventually all NPC crew members will be full rendered at all times, and you'll be able to look at them through camera feeds on your bridge monitors! Like in the heat of combat if you have to make a command decision to overheat your engines in order to save the ship, you'll be able to watch your engineering crew slowly die while they salute you through the camera and sing the UEE national anthem, dying proud in the knowledge that they served such an amazing captain!"

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 4, 2019

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

The answer is simple: You cant pay to be stupid. So all Star Citizens are natural winners already.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

At this point I doubt most of them even want a finished product, deep down they know it will never live up to their dreams. I think they would be happy with this whole mess going on forever. As long as development continues, it provides a mental relief valve for them, through which they can continue to dream about their new life in space, and not have to face the dismal reality of their real life.

That's just theater, it's not like they don't want the game, it's that their sunk cost forces them to act that way. Sure, there are few dreamers but most of the most obnoxious die-hards are there just because leaving would be the same as admitting to having been wrong and there is no bigger shame than that. And they will say anything to keep the charade going.

It has become one of those us-vs-them things

In short: Don't drop thousands of dollars into a game you retards. Yes, Verstice, that includes you.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 4, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Popete posted:

Does SC even have any AI ships in yet? Like are there AI enemies to fight, or civilian traffic?

There's bad guy ships to fight, yeah. No real civilian traffic that I'm aware of though. They had like animated background ships flying around the social module but they weren't real and you couldn't get to them.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Popete posted:

They had pretty decent dogfighting AI back when they were using middleware (Kythera from Moon Collider.) But then they decided bespoke would be better. And now, after a few years and dozens of hours of video prattling about subsumption and about NPCs who would be indistinguishable from real people and with whom you’d form lasting relationships, they’ve been reduced to Sandi mocking their “crappy AI” on ATV while Chris openly pleads for applications from gamedevs with AI programming experience.

The AI is still kinda garbage in dogfighting, even bigger garbage on the ground, and maybe no tech target in the Squadron 42 Roadmap is more likely to keep slipping as the year unfolds.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
There was few weeks a while back when dogfighting in Arena Commander was honestly fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

EvilMerlin posted:

We have a proud tradition on blowing excessive amounts of money on projects that come in with a bloated budget, controversy, a little fraud, massively delayed, and extremely underwhelming return on completion.

We're sick fucks.