Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

You can't just drop this with no details

they bought the campaigns a bunch of ipads in exchange for promising to tell the faculty that students don't need immigration advocates or professors with allies training

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zwabu posted:

So I'm guessing Trump is going to try to hold out some kind of HIV funding as a hostage to exchange for WALL?

My guess is Kushner pitched him on it as a "secure your legacy" thing and like usual dramatically underestimated exactly how hard a problem it will be to address.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

:rolleyes: I mean his career likely just ended and it happened the equivalent of five seconds ago but back to the top, I am sure he is deeply concerned at what you personally think of his contrition level

You mean famous and influential people aren't breathlessly reading this thread? I guess we'd better not bother discussing anything, ever!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

this was apparently effective cause the faculty was considering having a dedicated advocate for immigration problems but decided against it on advice of the student council. but then there was a full-on picket line and poo poo from the undergraduates protesting this poo poo and the student government was dissolved and new elections took place. then the college paper found out TPUSA also bribed the new government and they ALSO had to resign.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

DrNutt posted:

This is some real Cory Booker-level "what is in his heart is for god to judge" type poo poo.

Like, you are aware that subconscious racial bias is a thing that leads to real harm to real people, right? Or are you really that naive?

Also no it's not any better because he asked what color the guy was and then hit the streets hoping he'd get to kill a black person. Weird that he didn't go out specifically looking for someone who matched the description of her rapist, as in taking account other "details" that he surely asked for after he found out it was a black guy. Do you think if she said he was white he would have done the same?

Also weird that a guy so driven to rage by rape views #metoo as a "witch hunt." I wonder if she had been raped by a famous white man, if he would have wandered the streets hoping for Harvey Weinstein to pick a fight with him.

I mean, you could ask "Did he have a mustache?" or "What color hair did he have?" or "How tall was he?"

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/eyokley/status/1092507265096130560

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
"Hey Donald, our species may come to an end by 2030."

"I SINGLE HANDEDLY ENDED HIV! LOVE MY GAYS!"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
OK, seriously, at this point, how does Northam think he can even govern? If he can't be impeached and removed from office, what can the VA Democratic Party do to make his life hell?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NC Democrats, what the hell? This doesn't match up at all with how elected Democrats are treating this.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1092488656525373440

This will be to the House Homeland Security Comittee on the topic of border security.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Pakled posted:

NC Democrats, what the hell? This doesn't match up at all with how elected Democrats are treating this.

1) I think you mean VA Democrats...?
2) He dropped 20 points JUST AMONG DEMOCRATS in 72 hours. He's not getting off the mat any time soon.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

I assume that 73% disapproval rate with Republicans is for the BABY KILLING, not the blackface/KKK stuff

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah, dropping to 50/25 approve/disapprove in your own party is real, real bad. Especially over the course of one weekend.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

I assume that 73% disapproval rate with Republicans is for the BABY KILLING, not the blackface/KKK stuff

This x100

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1glitch0 posted:

I mean, you could ask "Did he have a mustache?" or "What color hair did he have?" or "How tall was he?"

I don't think he was giving a sworn deposition at this press junket and was likely talking about the one thing and how bad it was and how ashamed he was.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
“Now folks, let me tell you about AIDS. You see, the gays? They get AIDS. I never had AIDS growing up but they get them, and they also get high-vee, if you get high-vee then they also get you aids, and I never had aids growing up. Just a little loan from my family for.. just... one million dollars. Yet the gays, they get aids but they already have high-vee, very unfair. Under my plan we will no longer give the gays the aids because it costs us too much, why should they get the aids for free? And they already have the high-vee? Believe me folks, this is unfair.” - President Trump’s SotU, 2019

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Crow Jane posted:

That nonsense happened before this was measured, right? So the Birthday Massacre crowd would be in the original 50%

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

1) I think you mean VA Democrats...?
2) He dropped 20 points JUST AMONG DEMOCRATS in 72 hours. He's not getting off the mat any time soon.
Yeah but it should have been 40 points in 24 hours so North Carolina Succdems

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

They're probably mad he even admitted it was a mistake

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

rkajdi posted:

That's pretty revisionist. The general public hated on LGBT people as a rule pretty much throughout American history. Hell, there's the famous press conference where a reporter asked what Reagan's plan for AIDS was, and the response was "What, you queer?". Using AIDS as a way to scapegoat LGBT people is as old as AIDS itself. I don't expect Trump's plan to be anything but a way to poo poo on queer people.

Folks had the same question when Magic Johnson went public.

I think the same reaction happened with Easy-E, too.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

OAquinas posted:

I have a confession to make....I actually watched "Tooken" on Netflix. (a fact that Netflix will never let me forget since it has a "because you watched Tooken" category for me now)

In other news, a Northam defender arises! Who could this champion be?

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1092457529286803457

The wrongest loving person ever.

I think there's a really important point that Northam and Lieberman are missing, and maybe a few others. The issue is not the belief that Northam is a racist and should resign. It's very possible he learned his lesson and changed his ways.

The issue is that by remaining in power he perpetuates hurt and pain among black individuals, makes it way more difficult for the state to heal, and let's face it he has lost any trust and ability to govern effectively.

And by remaining in his seat, he actually gives strong evidence that he actually isn't as sensitive to the real concerns of black individuals and calls into serious question whether he's actually fully changed.

So by staying in his seat he ends up reinforcing the very belief that he's insensitive to black concerns.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

You're very passionate about defending Liam Neeson. He was in the bad Star Wars movies and crappy knock-off Death Wish remake movies. I'd advise choosing another hill.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

No. Not really. It's difficult to wrap my brain around. Racism is like religion for me. I understand both exist, but I have a hard time trying to figure out how to empathize or understand the perspective. I don't get it. I recognize it, I dislike it, I've read the reasons they exist and I understand on an abstract level, but I don't get it in my brain. Who cares if the guy who rapes someone you loves has a different skin color? And why would that make you go out and look for other people who have the same skin color to murder? I can't process it. I don't get it.

1glitch0 posted:

I can't tell if you do actually understand the reasons racism exists. Racism isn't just about an arbitrary body feature--it's tied to culture more often than not. There's no real tall person culture (at least not of any signficance). But people of certain skin colors often eat the same foods, speak the same way, are treated the same way by other groups, etc.

That's off the top of my head, but it's not just a skin color thing.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

1glitch0 posted:

You're very passionate about defending Liam Neeson. He was in the bad Star Wars movies and crappy knock-off Death Wish remake movies. I'd advise choosing another hill.

A "you care lol" post in 2019

It has nothing to do with Liam Neeson. I think callout culture is toxic as gently caress when it refuses to look at context and circumstance. This isn't a guy who spent his youth wearing a hood, he was explaining an insanely traumatic event in his life, his mentally ill reaction to it, and how ashamed he was of said reaction.

Google Butt posted:

Why are you so desperate to have people also give him the benefit of the doubt like you are when they aren't convinced by the information available? The shouldn't have to rely on hypothetical to achieve that, imo

lol what hypothetical? We are both using the same information

Failed Imagineer posted:

Your incessant whiteknighting of Liam Neeson is strange and annoying enough, please don't feel the need to slag off my country as well you giant dork

I am racist against Ireland

Ate My Balls Redux fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 4, 2019

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Why are you so desperate to have people also give him the benefit of the doubt like you are when they aren't convinced by the information available? Shouldn't have to rely on hypothetical to achieve that

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

theblackw0lf posted:

I think there's a really important point that Northam and Lieberman are missing, and maybe a few others. The issue is not the belief that Northam is a racist and should resign. It's very possible he learned his lesson and changed his ways.

The issue is that by remaining in power he perpetuates hurt and pain among black individuals, makes it way more difficult for the state to heal, and let's face it he has lost any trust and ability to govern effectively.

And by remaining in his seat, he actually gives strong evidence that he actually isn't as sensitive to the real concerns of black individuals and calls into serious question whether he's actually fully changed.

So by staying in his seat he ends up reinforcing the very belief that he's insensitive to black concerns.

Is it fair to a man that still might be be wearing blackface to this year's Halloween party as MJ isn't liked? Experts aren't sure, maybe Northam should resign so we can study if its "fair" or not.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Narrowing is still narrowing especially in Shamrock Township

Your incessant whiteknighting of Liam Neeson is strange and annoying enough, please don't feel the need to slag off my country as well you giant dork

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

It has nothing to do with Liam Neeson. I think callout culture is toxic as gently caress when it refuses to look at context and circumstance. This isn't a guy who spent his youth wearing a hood, he was explaining an insanely traumatic event in his life, his mentally ill reaction to it, and how ashamed he was of said reaction.

I'm sure Liam Neeson will be fine after my "callout culture" on an internet forum.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

It's utterly bizarre that you expect us to excuse his behavior because of context and circumstance (Neeson's tragic loss of his wife) but are unable to process that context and circumstance (his enormous amount of privilege and resources) are also reasons why I am unable to do so.

I feel like I should acknowledge that a few years ago I probably would have been in agreement with you on this but my viewpoint was challenged by a person of color with seemingly infinite patience for white bullshit, and I am grateful that the experience opened my eyes to a perspective I hadn't considered before.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 4, 2019

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

theblackw0lf posted:

I believe that people are capable of change, redemption, and earning forgiveness. In the case of Northam that forgiveness is a matter for his peers and constituents. The Virginia Legislative Black Caucus met with him and found his apology insufficient to earn that forgiveness and regain that trust. These polling numbers suggest likewise for his constituency. I don't think that yearbook is automatically disqualifying, but your conclusion is correct.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

So how do you explain him only apologizing about the violence part of his revenge fantasy and not the racist part? You don't need to spend your youth wearing the hood or saying the n word out loud to hold racist beliefs, but you knew that.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

1glitch0 posted:

No. Not really. It's difficult to wrap my brain around. Racism is like religion for me. I understand both exist, but I have a hard time trying to figure out how to empathize or understand the perspective. I don't get it. I recognize it, I dislike it, I've read the reasons they exist and I understand on an abstract level, but I don't get it in my brain. Who cares if the guy who rapes someone you loves has a different skin color? And why would that make you go out and look for other people who have the same skin color to murder? I can't process it. I don't get it.

Yo, if racism is so far out of your mind that you can't even imagine thinking racist thoughts, you probably have a shitload of unconscious racism clanging around in your head

Edit: I detect unconscious racism in my brain ALL THE TIME because I'm a white dude raised on planet Earth, you can't just say Golly Gee how crazy is that you have to actually fight it got drat

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shifty Pony posted:

My guess is Kushner pitched him on it as a "secure your legacy" thing and like usual dramatically underestimated exactly how hard a problem it will be to address.

It's gonna be some dumb 'I have directed the government to spend all they need to to find a cure for HIV/AIDS' thing which will be funny considering he cut that poo poo already

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It’s gonna warp into him rambling about how immigrants are bringing over super AIDS and how the wall will stop it

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
He's gonna hook up a bunch of HIV positive people to a wall and think that this will deter people.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

if everyone with HIV dies, nobody will have HIV

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

1glitch0 posted:

He was also loving Schindler which counts for something

And he was in one bad Star War before we all realized they were bad

It's super good that Neeson realized he had messed up thoughts in his brain but it seems like he could have done better realizing how much of those thoughts were a racism, he should work on that but we also don't need to make having an racism into Original Sin in a society that tells everyone, including black people, that black people are bad. Of course he had it in his brain, WE ALL DO. Adding grief to the background White Supremacy that infects every single moment of our existence had a really weird messed up result, and he should be embarrassed about that, and he is?

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Google Butt posted:

So how do you explain him only apologizing about the violence part of his revenge fantasy and not the racist part? You don't need to spend your youth wearing the hood or saying the n word out loud to hold racist beliefs, but you knew that.

lol my bad I read the transcript and missed the part where he said "I feel deeply ashamed but only of the violence part"

quote:

It's utterly bizarre that you expect us to excuse his behavior because of context and circumstance (Neeson's tragic loss of his wife) but are unable to process that context and circumstance (his enormous amount of privilege and resources) are also reasons why I am unable to do so.

Nah, it's pretty reasonable when you ACTUALLY look and see his privilege and resources had zero to do with the actual scenario he is describing (above any other average white dude in the same situation) and in fact by even bringing it up the "resources" spigot is likely about to run dry.

1glitch0 posted:

I'm sure Liam Neeson will be fine after my "callout culture" on an internet forum.

The problem is that this attitude will not be limited to this forum. It never is.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It pisses me off that Northam’s scandal is being referred to as a blackface scandal in the media. He’s obviously the klan member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Is he just gonna vow to murder euthanize anyone with HIV?