Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Just in case you thought I was joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That cat's rear end in a top hat looks like Cumlord.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

grack posted:

Wow that's even crazier. I feel like since you ordered from that place so much, the owner's felt like they've had all these conversations with you and that you kind of understand each other.

...and they would be right, in a way.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Are any of those pens made of resin?

Or was the farting cat just because.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Are any of those pens made of resin?

Or was the farting cat just because.

PenBBS pens are almost all resins, with a couple of aluminum models. I'm not sure how it relates to the cat farting.

VVV Edit: I understand. Nah, normal plastic resin, not the smelly resin.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Wow that's even crazier. I feel like since you ordered from that place so much, the owner's felt like they've had all these conversations with you and that you kind of understand each other.

...and they would be right, in a way.

Oh good, I'm being stalked by a crazy cat lady from China that also happens to run a fountain pen company.

grack fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 29, 2019

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Ah, sorry. I meant vegetal resin.

Because it smells, you see.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

grack posted:

this rules lol

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
PSA, found an auction you guys might be interested in:

https://www.wearsauctioneering.com/project/details/46768/

I'm still leafing through it, but there's a Rotring and some Parkers that have caught my eye in the lots so far. I've bought from the auctioneer before, so for what that's worth I can vouch that they won't gently caress you around if you're interested.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

PSA, found an auction you guys might be interested in:

https://www.wearsauctioneering.com/project/details/46768/

I'm still leafing through it, but there's a Rotring and some Parkers that have caught my eye in the lots so far. I've bought from the auctioneer before, so for what that's worth I can vouch that they won't gently caress you around if you're interested.

I want that Rotring 600 so badly and I guarantee I'll get outbid.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

MockingQuantum posted:

I want that Rotring 600 so badly and I guarantee I'll get outbid.

That's what the voice in my head kept saying while I was paging through all of the lots. It certainly didn't stop me from bookmarking a bunch of poo poo to come back to later. There's some super nice Pelikan M800's too, and all of the nibs look to be in great condition from the photos. I'm like, legit excited about this auction!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

That's what the voice in my head kept saying while I was paging through all of the lots. It certainly didn't stop me from bookmarking a bunch of poo poo to come back to later. There's some super nice Pelikan M800's too, and all of the nibs look to be in great condition from the photos. I'm like, legit excited about this auction!

Yeah I just put in max bids on the two or three pens I'm really interested in, and I'll try to forget about it. If I manage to win, I'll have gotten something nice at a steal, if not, I probably won't even notice.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

Uh... unless we're looking at different catalogs there isn't a single M800 in that lot.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
There's a fistful of Pelikans with lot numbers in the 50's, I thought the bodies looked like slightly older m800's but I'm not that familiar with Pelikan so I could absolutely be wrong.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

M800s have solid gold nibs and at least one ring at the back of the barrel, generally two. All the Pelikans in that auction lot have gold-plated steel nibs and no body rings - they're M200s or similar.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Check this poo poo out:

S'right, motherfuckers. I'm officially part of the "People who own fountain pens that came with their own little stands" club. :smugdog:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

That reminds me, I kind of want a wood-bodied fountain pen. Is there anything nice in the sub-$150 range?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Obvious answer I'm sure, but my pens sometimes have a hard time getting started until I scribble a bunch. I'm storing them "upside down" I suppose in the sense that the nib is pointed upwards so it looks correct with the cap on. However, even if I put the pen down on its side for like 10s, I have to do this again.

Seemed to just recently start happening with a Karas Kustom (Ink still seems full...) and to a lesser degree with the Metropolitan, though the Metro smudges up my fingers as soon as I grab hold of it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do you use Noodler's?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Heath posted:

Do you use Noodler's?

I do not / have no idea what that is

e: ah I see it’s ink; no, I’m using Iroshizuku in the Karas and the stock ink cartridge in the Metro

grack
Jan 10, 2012

movax posted:

I do not / have no idea what that is

e: ah I see it’s ink; no, I’m using Iroshizuku in the Karas and the stock ink cartridge in the Metro

It can be any number of issues. Poor cap seal, tines not adjusted perfectly, nib laying slightly off of the feed. How long does it take to get issues with startup?

MockingQuantum posted:

That reminds me, I kind of want a wood-bodied fountain pen. Is there anything nice in the sub-$150 range?

Faber-Castell has some Ambition models with wooden bodies, as well as the Oak Ondoro. Staedtler has some Premium Lignum models that can be had under $150 as well.

grack fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 5, 2019

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I feel like I wrote this before but I can't see it in the last couple pages so maybe I just thought about writing it.

I've been looking at a couple reviews of Lamy 2000s lately and a few of them mention the pen being able to be found for about $100 in the US. Is this not a thing anymore? I've been wanting to find another interesting (gold nib preferred) pen under $130 or so but I'm rapidly running out of options with that budget.

Maybe it's time to import one of these Sailor 1911s. The normal sized ones seem about $110 on Amazon though Japanese sellers.

Is there a good site besides Amazon and Ebay to buy Japanese pens cheaply? Lamy 2000 aspirations aside I definitely seem to enjoy my Pilot and Platinum stuff the most but Ebay seems kind of like a crap shoot price-wise and Amazon sellers tend to have very specific stock.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Feb 5, 2019

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Lamy 2000 prices are going up because Lamy is limiting the supply for their own stores.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

grack posted:

It can be any number of issues. Poor cap seal, tines not adjusted perfectly, nib laying slightly off of the feed. How long does it take to get issues with startup?

Do you mean how long it takes from writing normally to getting back to having issues with ink flowing?

I've found that pushing harder seems to help; maybe I was just pushing lighter that one particular day. But, looking at the letters, the ink flow still seems inconsistent in terms of line thickness and such. It's a brand new Karas so I doubt they hosed up the assembly of it.

I might just have to actually take my time in doing the refill (because it started after my second refill) and make sure I'm doing it right. I rinsed the piston converter with water, ran it through the nib a few times, and then twisted it to draw new ink up through the nib and into the converter...should be all there is to it, right?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Have you done the soap and water flush? Most new pens have a thin oil coating from the factory that needs to be cleaned up. Continuing to write with it won't work it out very well, it needs to be hit with soap to really work it out from between the tines, otherwise ink will simply flow over it and causes inconsistent writing.

I will sometimes very lightly dip the tip of the nib into a small amount of water if I haven't used it for a few days to get it started. Not all inks need it, but most Noodler's do.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
I got my first FP thanks to the thread and everything has been going great except one thing. I am using Parker blue black quink, and it is just not gonna work for my calendar/ bullet journal needs. I need something much more permanent /waterproof. Noodlers doesn’t have a distributor in my country atm, though. Any alternatives to their bulletproof line that may survive my kitchen-centric / wet hands lifestyle?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

I got my first FP thanks to the thread and everything has been going great except one thing. I am using Parker blue black quink, and it is just not gonna work for my calendar/ bullet journal needs. I need something much more permanent /waterproof. Noodlers doesn’t have a distributor in my country atm, though. Any alternatives to their bulletproof line that may survive my kitchen-centric / wet hands lifestyle?

Diamine Registrar's series inks, De Atrementis Document series, Platinum Carbon Black and Pigmented Blue, as well as all of the Platinum "Classic" iron galls. Rohrer & Klingner iron galls. I think Pilot Namiki blue & black are water resistant, although I've never had reason to test them. Sometime this month Goulet will get Lamy's waterproof in ink in their "Crystal" series, called Benitoite. I image it's already available in the EU.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

KWZs iron gall inks are my go to.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

NeurosisHead posted:

Pilot Namiki blue & black are water resistant, although I've never had reason to test them.

Blue‐black is quite water resistant. It’ll discolour the page a little when wet but it remains entirely legible.

I haven’t used the others in a while but I was disappointed that they were not as resistant as blue‐black.

e: The others being just “blue” and just “black”. IIRC the red has no water resistance whatsoever. Avoid that.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 11, 2019

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder
Wow, that thanks for the very helpful replies! :tipshat:

My next pen move is trying out some of these sub $3 pens I keep seeing at the shops here in Taiwan. Seems like the FP market is growing fast, or maybe I just never noticed them before. Oh, and I’ll be ordering some of those $1 chinese nibs that fit the metro.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was going to mention Hero 232, which is a water resistant ink I really like, but I think they rebranded it because the eBay listings have dried up.

If you see a blue‐black Hero ink in a shop in Taiwan, it may be worth trying.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

grack posted:

Check this poo poo out:

S'right, motherfuckers. I'm officially part of the "People who own fountain pens that came with their own little stands" club. :smugdog:

Is that motherfucking Papyrus?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Oh, and I’ll be ordering some of those $1 chinese nibs that fit the metro.

Wait what now?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is that motherfucking Papyrus?

It certainly looks that way, yes

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

grack posted:

It certainly looks that way, yes

:laffo:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

I don't see why you are laughing. It is the only typeface with the gravitas and dignity to properly honor the ancient wood.

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

Pixelante posted:

Wait what now?

So there are a few pen makers in china that started out doing manufacturing for Pilot and then stole the designs to start their own brands. Two such brands are Wings and Yiren. They both make 78G clones and the nibs they sell for those supposedly fit the metro. I’ll try a few and report back.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Turns out that when you leave custom ink mixes sitting for a few years, their behavior can change in unexpected ways, to the surprise of no one but me.

A color I mixed that came out very similar to Poussiere de Lune now goes on black, but dries to something like a slightly more reddish Edelstein Tanzanite. Still on the fence about whether I like it.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

So is the 78G+, that's currently made and afaik only available in China, actually associated with Pilot in any way or is it literally counterfeit goods

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if it doesn’t say pilot it isn’t counterfeit. it’s “reverse engineered”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if it doesn’t say pilot it isn’t counterfeit. it’s “reverse engineered”

Hey man - uh - what's going on with your avatar?