Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Don’t learn how to play the game by watching the game be played is certainly a stance to take, I suppose.

What should someone completely new to 5e watch to learn how to play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I would have said streams of people actually playing the game, but apparently that’s the realm of fools arguing in bad faith so I’ve no idea.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Mr. Humalong posted:

Just play the game?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Mr. Humalong posted:

Action/Adventure movies

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Kaysette posted:

Just play the game?

Yeah that was kind of my point

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
theres actually zero difference between good & bad DMing. you imbecile. you loving moron

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

theres actually zero difference between good & bad DMing. you imbecile. you loving moron

A good GM would fix the bad GMing.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Mr. Humalong posted:

Yeah that was kind of my point

:hf:

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
So for the upcoming d&d game I’ll be playing in I’m playing around with the idea of running an elf barbarian(totem)/rouge(trickster) Think Mob enforcer with serious anger issues.

I’m aware that this isn’t the ideal build from a min-max combat first perspective but the group I play with is Roleplay first and gravitates to non-combat solutions anyway. Also we probably won’t play past level 10.

Basic idea is to try to stack dmg reduction and evasive abilites to move fast and hit hard but not get hit (or hit hard) in return. I’ll pick utility stuff for the trickster spells as I understand I couldn’t use them anyway if I rage which I will be for dmg reduction (no armor).

What I’m wondering is if I’m missing some huge problem with this build because I’m a noob. Other advice is appreciated.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Numlock posted:

So for the upcoming d&d game I’ll be playing in I’m playing around with the idea of running an elf barbarian(totem)/rouge(trickster) Think Mob enforcer with serious anger issues.

Just keep in mind you need a finesse weapon for sneak attacks, but it doesn't have to be used with dex. You can rage and make a strength attack with a rapier at advantage. Advantage from rage guarantees a sneak attack.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Numlock posted:

I’m aware that this isn’t the ideal build from a min-max combat first perspective but the group I play with is Roleplay first and gravitates to non-combat solutions anyway. Also we probably won’t play past level 10.

Basic idea is to try to stack dmg reduction and evasive abilites to move fast and hit hard but not get hit (or hit hard) in return. I’ll pick utility stuff for the trickster spells as I understand I couldn’t use them anyway if I rage which I will be for dmg reduction (no armor).

What I’m wondering is if I’m missing some huge problem with this build because I’m a noob. Other advice is appreciated.

You can't get Rage damage bonuses or Reckless Attack unless you attack with Strength.
Sneak Attack keys off Finesse, so you can get it just fine if using a Short Sword or Rapier, but if you want the above you need to use Strength with them.
You won't be getting the key abilities of this build (Bear Totem, Uncanny Dodge) until level 8 at the earliest.
You won't actually be hitting hard.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I never remember the UA release schedule. Is it second Monday?

I've got pretty low expectations for artificer, but I know a guy who's real excited for it

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Numlock posted:

So for the upcoming d&d game I’ll be playing in I’m playing around with the idea of running an elf barbarian(totem)/rouge(trickster) Think Mob enforcer with serious anger issues.'

Did you perhaps mean cleric(trickster)?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

He means arcane trickster rogue based on what he wrote.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Ok thanks for the input.

Seems the best way to really do what I want is to come up with a new archetype and run it by my dm. Probably more work than I care for, but it seems really should be an wild and angry elf archetype (rage attacks use dex?) . More so than dwarves that hug you to death.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Numlock posted:

Ok thanks for the input.

Seems the best way to really do what I want is to come up with a new archetype and run it by my dm. Probably more work than I care for, but it seems really should be an wild and angry elf archetype (rage attacks use dex?) . More so than dwarves that hug you to death.

Why not look into the UA Brute for Fighter? It basically ticks all the boxes you’re looking for. You could multi a level or two into barbarian if you really want that rage damage and resistance.

If any gets upptiy about unarmed attacks, see if you can get knuckle dusters and call them 1d4 or 1d6 bludgeoning weapons that tick off of strength and call it a day.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

No one should ever mean this.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

So is UA playtest stuff?

I looked at brute and it looks good, I’m guessing my elf would be dual welding finesse weapons to get in as many hits as possible? And if I took rouge levels sneak attack dmg would pile on when I had advantage? Oh and I guess blade cantrips (from elf and arcane trickster?) for more dmg?

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kaysette posted:

He means arcane trickster rogue based on what he wrote.

My bad! I had cleric domains on the brain.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Sneak Attack keys off Finesse, so you can get it just fine if using a Short Sword or Rapier, but if you want the above you need to use Strength with them.

Scimitars work here too with the barbarian proficiences.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Tell me there's no sane interpretation of Araumycos in OotA giving players poison immunity that would lend to thinking that's a permanent effect.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Toshimo posted:

Tell me there's no sane interpretation of Araumycos in OotA giving players poison immunity that would lend to thinking that's a permanent effect.

There's no time limit given so it must mean forever? Idk. The intention seems to be for it to last through the next big fight as a buff for doing well in the astral projection section. I don't see it listed in any errata or sage advice. Did someone at an AL table say they were immune because they ran OotA? If so, that's hilarious.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kaysette posted:

Did someone at an AL table say they were immune because they ran OotA? If so, that's hilarious.

10 points to Gryffindor

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Numlock posted:

So is UA playtest stuff?

I looked at brute and it looks good, I’m guessing my elf would be dual welding finesse weapons to get in as many hits as possible? And if I took rouge levels sneak attack dmg would pile on when I had advantage? Oh and I guess blade cantrips (from elf and arcane trickster?) for more dmg?

UA *is* playtest material that may or may not eventually make it to published material.

However, the term in specific relation to DNDBeyond means any UA material published after a particular date that the devs code into the app.

That basically excludes most UA classes at this point, but may include the upcoming Artificer UA that’s expected this week/month/whenever they drop it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Numlock posted:

Ok thanks for the input.

You can just fluff your Rogue as being wild and angry. It'd be more effective, to boot.

For context, Barbarogue works but stats itself and plays more or less like a Barbarian: 16 STR, 14 DEX, 16 CON, wears medium armor, either equips a shield or dual-wields. It works because Barbarian is a very front-loaded class and its progression just kind of stops at level 5, whereas Rogue has 12 very solid levels that add several combat and non-combat options to the otherwise really barebones Barbarian mechanics, and the automatic damage scaling from Sneak Attack eventually makes up for the equipment restrictions. Like most multiclasses, however, it doesn't really come into its own until past level 8.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My dnd group was able to subdue a frost giant by almost killing it in a round and telling it to surrender if it wanted to live. We cast geas on him and have him following us. We learned that we was in the area alone and had been exiled for the tribe leader could bang his sister. We promised to kill said tribe leader for him and get him placed as leader in return for his loyalty. How much is this plan going to backfire?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Is it Loki?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

RC Cola posted:

My dnd group was able to subdue a frost giant by almost killing it in a round and telling it to surrender if it wanted to live. We cast geas on him and have him following us. We learned that we was in the area alone and had been exiled for the tribe leader could bang his sister. We promised to kill said tribe leader for him and get him placed as leader in return for his loyalty. How much is this plan going to backfire?

You'll get a "curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal" moment. At minimum.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Just strictly in terms of the Channel Divinity options, how do the various paladin Oaths rank, in comparison to one another?

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
http://breadthofpopsanity.blogspot.com/2019/02/riddles-and-puzzles-in-gaming-and.html

Trying to build a system to make puzzles/riddles easier to use

here's take 1.

Would love feedback. :)

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

You can just fluff your Rogue as being wild and angry. It'd be more effective, to boot.

I’ll probably go this route, but maybe as zelot barbarian (mad about civilizations defilement of nature?) for more damage.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

P.d0t posted:

Just strictly in terms of the Channel Divinity options, how do the various paladin Oaths rank, in comparison to one another?

Best

Oath of Devotion: Either a better Turn Undead, in that it effects Fiends as well as Undead, though never gets as good as Cleric Turn Undead, or make your weapon magical for a minute and also get a +Cha bonus to attack. I really like this one because I have often fought things that were resistant or immune to nonmagical weapons when I didn't have a magical weapon, it also greatly increases your accuracy. It does however take an action.

Oath of Vengeance: This one is super popular but I don't like it as much for one reason. So as a bonus action you get advantage on all your attack rolls for 1 minute, except it is against only 1 target. Good for a big bad boss, not so good for an army of fairly similar power level. Advantage is great and increases odds of that glorious crit, which the +Cha bonus to attack doesn't help with. But while it is only a bonus action instead of an action it doesn't make your weapon magical and doesn't work on enemies beyond the initial target so I rate it slightly lower than Devotion. Its other ability is almost a single target Turn Undead. Except setting speed to 0 while the creature is frightened.

Oath of the Ancients: As an action you can attempt to Restrain an enemy within 10ft of you, it does get a save, and can make saves on its turn to end the effect. No duration that I can see except Save Ends. And Restrained is a great condition to put on an enemy. But it is single target and they can make a save at the end of each of their turns to try and end it. Their other option is Turn Undead except it effects fey and fiends and not undead.

Oath of the Crown: A 30ft save or be unable to move more than 30ft away from the Paladin, is good for keeping enemies close I guess. The other option is probably more useful as it is a weak aoe heal as a Channel Divinity for allies within range who are not above half their max hp.

Oath of Redemption. Either a rather large bonus to Persuasion checks for ten minutes, or force an attacker within 30 ft to take damage equal to the damage they just did, save for half. It is only 1 hit and not a long term effect, but can be useful. The persuasion one on the other hand probably has some good uses outside of combat.

Oath of Conquest: Either a 30ft aura Wis save of Fear, with repeated saves to end it for a minute. Or no action spend it for +10 to an attack roll after you roll but before you know it hits or not. There might be some use for the first, personally not a fan. The second is good for landing that one important hit I guess, but only effects the one hit and thus is fairly low tier for me.

Worst

These are of course subjective, and a lot of the middle tier are kind of hard for me to put in an order, and I am not sure if Conquest should be at the bottom, but it effects only 1 attack and doesn't last like say Restrained might.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ryuujin posted:

[Paladin oath chat]

Thanks for this :)
I'm going with your standard(ish) Paladin3/Sorcerer17 fuckery; I can get around resistances a little bit easier with cantrips, so I'd rate Devotion a little bit lower. I kinda liked Crown at first glance, but with the limited number of Paladin spells I'll likely have prepared, the specific domain spells for Crown seem a little redundant. I'm probably leaning towards Ancients, because that sort of goes with the backstory I have (took Outlander for my background.)

I polled my party members, and one had said they'd like to see one of the oaths from Xanathar's, since they hadn't played with a Paladin who used either of those before -- in which case, I'd kinda lean towards Redemption (particularly thematically, as the main healer of the party) even though I'd otherwise rate it pretty low, yeah.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'd vote Redemption or Crown for a Sorcadin.

The crown's movement restriction is a pretty bonkers. If you can throw up a defensive spell to tank, that's the most unavoidable rooting ability I can think of. Plus it's a one-time save, then they have to wait it out. And Turn the Tide is basically a Mass Healing Word - bonus action to get every downed comrade up. Both are big abilities that will come up often.

Redemption's first ability is amazing outside of combat, obviously, and the second one can be a really big DPS boost that keys off reactions instead of actions or bonus actions. Think reflecting a 50 damage crit from a giant. It doesn't make easy fights easier, it makes hard fights easier, which is the best kind of ability to have, and it's going to be usable a lot of times per day.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'd just skip level 3 and head for Sorcerer. None of the CD options nor Divine Health are worth slowing down Sorcerer.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'd just skip level 3 and head for Sorcerer. None of the CD options nor Divine Health are worth slowing down Sorcerer.

This is also a possibility. Right now I'm Paladin1/Sorcerer5, and very very very strongly leaning towards going to Paladin2 next (we've been told we'll hit level 7 after a long rest.) I'm not 100% taking Paladin to 3rd, but that's why I'm weighing the options.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
General good breaking points for a paladin/sorcerer are paladin 2 and paladin 6. 2 gives you smite (the actual main reason you're here) and fighting style, 6 gives you the aura. If you're going Ancients, consider 7.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I was actually surprised to find out that Adventures Leauge might be a lot of fun! Can't remember the dungeon we ran, but we had to save some innkeeper from infestation similar to zombies, but not really. Maybe it was because it was a level 5 + adventure, but did not feel coddled like some posts on the internet suggested. Got 4 treasure points, not sure if that is enough for an apple or a bag of holding.

Midig fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 5, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Midig posted:

I was actually surprised to find out that Adventures Leauge might be a lot of fun! Can't remember the dungeon we ran, but we had to save some innkeeper from infestation similar to zombies, but not really. Maybe it was because it was a level 5 + adventure, but did not feel coddled like some posts on the internet suggested. Got 4 treasure points, not sure if that is enough for an apple or a bag of holding.

This one? https://www.dmsguild.com/product/218722/CCCLINKS01-Champion-of-the-People?affiliate_id=820723

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Might be the one, had to fight some lady who controlled 6 previous (not infested) adventurers. Used poison clouds and invisibility.

Also, compared to Pathfinder, DnD 5 seems to have more fleshed out classes, so less need to multiclass for specific flavors, but still some levels where nothing really happens or "dead levels". From Pathfinder however, I saw more spells with "per Wizard/Fighter" level effects IIRC so DnD 5 might make multiclassing good, while not forcing you to pick it to play a battle mage for example due to feats you can choose or Eldritch Knight class. I really hope that maybe 5.5 might be made, where levels 9-13 become more interesting when you delve into your class.

Midig fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Midig posted:

I'm glad to hear it! I was going to go to my LGS for a session tonight, but there was no room in the inn tonight and tomorrow is T2.

I'll get a chance to play next week. Do folks usually go to these with one character in mind or do they bring a couple to make sure all the bases are covered?