Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Holy poo poo some madman modded Umineko into a Steamed Hams meme. and its perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJHCUmIC8M

Spoilers of the Umineko experience, I guess? The ????? Tea Party not in the video (but in the game hosted in the description) has character spoilers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Colorspray posted:

Holy poo poo some madman modded Umineko into a Steamed Hams meme. and its perfect.

Spoilers of the Umineko experience, I guess? The ????? Tea Party not in the video (but in the game hosted in the description) has character spoilers though.

This is beautiful.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Colorspray posted:

This is fantastic. Why is this meme still funny.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

This is fantastic. Why is this meme still funny.

I only laughed at this and the nier automata one, but it's funny as hell when executed perfectly.

That said, I finished Umineko a week ago and it stuck hard. I think I'm finally getting it, and almost want to re-read it - it was really good!

I think I've figured out how I want to handle my own interpretation of that story, as convoluted as it can get - was a really enjoyable and unique experience. Maybe I'll try out the manga for a different take.

But I'm also wanting to move on! Thinking of picking up Steins:Gate, 428 Shibuya Scramble, or Zero Escape next. What are you all reading currently? And more importantly, are you enjoying it? :)

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Colorspray posted:

But I'm also wanting to move on! Thinking of picking up Steins:Gate, 428 Shibuya Scramble, or Zero Escape next. What are you all reading currently? And more importantly, are you enjoying it? :)
I dropped 428 recently - couldn't figure out how to progress. But it was a relief in a way, because the randomwacky writing was wearing on my nerves, yet I was determined to continue because I think Shibuya is neat.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Steins;Gate and 428 are both great and would definitely get my recommendation. Zero Escape is also solid but the gap in how much I like the first two games over the third is pretty big.

woodenchicken posted:

I dropped 428 recently - couldn't figure out how to progress. But it was a relief in a way, because the randomwacky writing was wearing on my nerves, yet I was determined to continue because I think Shibuya is neat.
I don't know where you got stuck, but there are some parts that require you to go back and make "wrong" choices in certain characters' routes to open up Jumps. The hint system is usually pretty solid and telling you which character you need to go to in order to unlock your current roadblocks.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nah I did my homework and replayed the entire chapter with everyone, redoing all choices and checking every dictionary entry, etc. Still stuck with two or three chars out of five. Just some unfortunate combination. I don't mind, though.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Does anyone here have any opinions on A light in the dark?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ryuga Death posted:

Does anyone here have any opinions on A light in the dark?

Let me find my post on it from when it came out. The short version is that it's a very good social thriller if that's what you're in the market for.

Thuryl posted:

A Light in the Dark is a VN that came out recently from a Taiwanese studio, and I loved it.

(Full disclosure: I worked on the game as a QA tester, so I might have some emotional attachment to it, but I wouldn't recommend it if I didn't think it was good.)

At the start of the game you awaken tied up in a lovely apartment with a strange woman kicking you in the stomach, and things pretty much get worse for you from there. The art is beautiful and contributes greatly to the game's dark, stressful atmosphere, and the music is mostly quiet and low-key but really comes into its own for tense moments. The game mechanics help to build the sense of tension too, with important choices being put on a timer and the game picking for you if you don't make a decision in time. There are significant adventure game elements, with sections of downtime when you can investigate your surroundings to search for a means of escape, or try to talk to your kidnappers about various topics to build a rapport with them or learn about their motives. Your initial goal is to escape alive, but as the game goes on and you learn more details about the situation you're in, you might find yourself wanting to uncover the deeper truth behind your kidnapping and do something about it.

It's kinda short, but there's a ton of choices and several very different endings, so it's designed to be replayed at least a few times. I have 24 hours in it on Steam, so you can consider that an upper bound on playtime from someone exhaustively playing and replaying every route and trying out every option.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm in the middle of Episode 7 of Umineko, and wow is the culprit really gonna be Shannon, who has multiple personalities and is so heartbroken that Battler never came to whisk her away/forgot about her (because there's this whole fake/real Battler stuff to deal with) that she kills everyone?? Like, I saw some of this coming I guess but puling this Battler romance out of nowhere is odd. Also the idea "Of COURSE if the woman is the killer, it has to be some kind of jealous rage over a man" seems really, I don't know if sexist is the word but like unimaginative and backwards? But I also just saw this game say that true love is between men and woman so all bets are off now.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm in the middle of Episode 7 of Umineko, and wow is the culprit really gonna be Shannon, who has multiple personalities and is so heartbroken that Battler never came to whisk her away/forgot about her (because there's this whole fake/real Battler stuff to deal with) that she kills everyone?? Like, I saw some of this coming I guess but puling this Battler romance out of nowhere is odd. Also the idea "Of COURSE if the woman is the killer, it has to be some kind of jealous rage over a man" seems really, I don't know if sexist is the word but like unimaginative and backwards? But I also just saw this game say that true love is between men and woman so all bets are off now.

Don’t worry, keep reading. The truth isn’t gonna be gross or dumb

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Thuryl posted:

Let me find my post on it from when it came out. The short version is that it's a very good social thriller if that's what you're in the market for.

Okay, thanks a lot! I liked the demo but I have a question. The demo had what seemed to be a lot of grammatical and spelling errors, were those intentional?

Also, does anyone have any opinions on Will: A Wonderful World?

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 5, 2019

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Ryuga Death posted:

Okay, thanks a lot! I liked the demo but I have a question. The demo had what seemed to be a lot of grammatical and spelling errors, were those intentional?

It's short but fun, I blazed though it in like 3 nights. The gimmick is good, but sometimes it ends up feeling like trial and error. A couple of the subplots require significant suspension of disbelief.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Can I get an elevator pitch for Steins:Gate? I'm afraid anywhere I actually look up stuff for it will just be a spoiler.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Ryuga Death posted:

I thought it was pretty good but I wouldn't say it's great. I find its individual stories more interesting than the larger plot. My biggest issue with it is I feel there are some parts that are a bit unnecessarily dark but the tone of those parts didn't come off as gross or advocating the things that happened to me at least.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ryuga Death posted:

They shouldn't be. I feel like we were pretty thorough about checking for text problems, but it's possible that the demo never got updated to include all the fixes implemented in the full build. I'd check it myself but apparently Steam doesn't let you download the demo if you already have the full game. If you post a couple of example lines from early on I can tell you if they're fixed or not in the full game.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Dawgstar posted:

Can I get an elevator pitch for Steins:Gate? I'm afraid anywhere I actually look up stuff for it will just be a spoiler.

A slacker amateur scientist stumbles upon the secret to time travel when microwaving bananas.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rollersnake posted:

A slacker amateur mad scientist stumbles upon the secret to time travel when microwaving bananas.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Ryuga Death posted:

I enjoyed it, but sometimes it felt like the game was trying to be edgy for edginess sake. The mechanics were pretty cool though.

Note that I never finished it, since I have a bad habit of not finishing VNs (looks over shoulder at 428, Dies Irae, Steins;Gate 0, and many more).

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 5, 2019

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Rollersnake posted:

A slacker amateur mad scientist on the run from the Organization stumbles upon the secret to time travel when microwaving bananas.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Rollersnake posted:

A slacker amateur mad scientist on the run from the Organization and his band of strange but mostly lovable misfits stumble upon the secret to time travel when microwaving bananas.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

MegaZeroX posted:

I enjoyed it, but sometimes it felt like the game was trying to be edgy for edginess sake. The mechanics were pretty cool though.

Note that I never finished it, since I have a bad habit of not finishing VNs (looks over shoulder at 428, Dies Irae, Steins;Gate 0, and many more).

you can absolutely be forgiven for not finishing s;g 0 lol.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Dies Irae, too.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

But, so we're all clear, not 428. You are not forgiven for not finishing that one.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nah, it's long and annoying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nah, 428 is one of my favourite VNs

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
428 is one of two well paced VNs I've ever played, the other being Fata Morgana. Hell if you forced me to pick between them it'd definitely be 428 as being snappier and less padded.

Dies Irae on the other hand was roughly 60 hours of Ren breaking his arms and it having no effect on whatever fight he's in, 15 hours of well VAed shittalking, 3 hours of a decent common route, and 2 hours of the only characters I liked (Shirou and Ellie). That one got super hyped for me too so I actually finished it thinking there'd be some huge twist at the end, but there wasn't really.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

What seems like the worst main character you'll ever meet actually goes through some of the best and most gut-wrenching character development you'll ever see.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Trasson posted:

What seems like the worst main character you'll ever meet actually goes through some of the best and most gut-wrenching character development you'll ever see.

This is the pitch someone should have given me and I agree. When I first played the game I was immediately turned off by the goofy over-the-top VO to the point I actually turned it off and only came back two weeks later because I was criminally bored. Then once the bananas hit the fan I was totally sold on his character.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

C:R 3rd FD out in 8 days :gbsmith:

Moment of silence for the final vita game ever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i kind of liked the S:G VO from the start, specifically how weird his interactions with everyone else are

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I also liked Okabe from the start since chuuni characters have generally been an amusing archetype to me and back when I first played S;G he was pretty much one of the first VN protagonists that actually had something resembling a personality out of the gate. In his case it also does not take long at all to see that his whole shtick is really just hanging out with his friends and having a fun time, and they in turn deal with in the exact ways to make it all work together.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I am finally playing Umineko having picked it up on sale and so far not much has happened in the story as they're still establishing characters and the general situation, yet I kind of like that. With a cast of this size and what seems like is leading to a rather elaborate story, it's kinda nice to have a general feel for who the characters are, at least on the surface, rather than be thrust into the midst of things while I'm still trying to remember everyone's names.

Enjoying the music so far, and using Ryukishi's original sprites because I find them charming.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Chaos;Child is coming to Steam next week: https://store.steampowered.com/app/970570/CHAOSCHILD/

This is one of the good ones. The middle routes are sorta ho-hum but the first route and the true route are fantastic, easily in the same league as Steins;Gate

I picked this up and just got the first ending. It's been good so far, thanks for recommending it. I was originally planning on avoiding it since I'd heard bad things about Chaos;Head and assumed it was more of the same. The only science adventure series stuff I've read is S;G and S;G0 so I can't comment on how it compares to C;H, but at the very least, the pacing for the first route seemed a lot better than the pacing for the first half of S;G.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone else feeling compelled to learn JPN for all the other VNs that'll never come overseas? Join me on my quest for the 4th time to learn a new language as everyone on the internet wants to help you learn JPN.

Current experiment with texthooker helped me understand 60% of the writing but there are times where I'm totally lost w/o any summaries. Another reminder of how grateful I'm to localizers to save me from the headache of Engrish.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Once upon a time maybe, but now I feel that 99% of the VNs that I would actually be interested in are already translated. Mahoutsukai no Yoru is the only one that immediately comes to mind as being a big glaring hole, and even that it's hard to feel upset over given that it's supposedly an incomplete story that T-M is in no rush to finish.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Untranslated games & stuff played a factor for me originally but in 2019 there really aren’t THAT many interesting ones to justify how many years I’ve studied lol

That said, there is still a lot of interesting TV and articles and books and whatnot so it’s fine (wasn’t my main motivation anyway, just a nice bonus. Languages are cool & getting to communicate with more people is rad)

v I don’t go for the jp source that often if a translation exists but it’s nice being able to look it up for clarification or if something doesn’t feel quite right with the tl or if I just wanna dive headfirst into analysis nerdery

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 9, 2019

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Alder posted:

Anyone else feeling compelled to learn JPN for all the other VNs that'll never come overseas? Join me on my quest for the 4th time to learn a new language as everyone on the internet wants to help you learn JPN.

Current experiment with texthooker helped me understand 60% of the writing but there are times where I'm totally lost w/o any summaries. Another reminder of how grateful I'm to localizers to save me from the headache of Engrish.

I'd say the bigger benefit is the fact that you're not at the mercy of bad/mediocre translations which are a lot more common than you'd like for such a writing-focused medium. I didn't really learn Japanese just for VNs but I do think VNs are on average better in Japanese, whether or not that makes it worth the time investment is obviously subjective.

It probably comes down to what your attitude towards the learning process is, if you consider it a necessary evil which you don't like at all then it's more than likely not worth it unless you're well and truly dedicated to your nipponese media or are otherwise a hardcore purist about translation quality. On the other hand if you enjoy the language and find satisfaction in learning it, there's arguably no downside at all. Learning new stuff is cool and having something concrete you can use that knowledge on is obviously even better.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 9, 2019

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Reading untranslated VNs is why I started learning Japanese. Unfortunately I burned out some time after memorizing all the normal Kanji, and now most of what I learned is just slowly leaking out of my brain. I retain just enough knowledge to be annoyed whenever the localized text deviates too far from the Japanese dub in games like Persona 5, like a proper weeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I figured it would be a better hobby than collecting 1,000 widgets in ffxiv. Mostly sad how so few otome games are localized and that vita has died how there's fewer games for everyone. Eventually, I want to read JPN novels so less interested in writing/speaking parts. Also, I'm at the age where it's like time to think of productive hobbies beyond school and working.