Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Breakthrough is for people who enjoy 64 player metro.

Aka sadists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is this still the Battlefield 1 thread?

I never really even looked at any of the service assignments in the past, but I've been slowly working my way through them and it's been making me try a lot of stuff that I normally wouldn't. It's nice to have an objective to work towards.

Also, since the game came out, I've been forcing myself to stop using a gun once I get a service star with it, with the goal of getting a service star with every gun. This was great for a long time, but now the only guns left to use are the absolute worst ones that no one should ever use.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 1, 2019

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Last night was the first night I encountered a good attack pilot. He was running the heavy guns on the Stuka and got me twice in the swaghound in a single pass and multiple other times he left be near death. Not to detract from him but we had zero pubbies flying so he had the skies to himself.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Breakthrough really nails home why rush was good

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The biggest problem with Breakthrough is that a lot of the times - for example the first phase of Hamada - the Defenders spawn WAY too close to the objectives, they're literally respawning just over the hill and so a small handful can put a lot of pressure on A or B even after it's been taken. A 15 second jog and you're already back in the fight, very silly. Whereas the attackers have 30 - 45 seconds of running to get back on site. This asymmetry means that squad wipes and meatgrinders favor the defender, big time.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ZeusCannon posted:

Breakthrough really nails home why rush was good

yeah we had this discussion the other night, the scale of the modern games doesn't play well with rush but it was great in 12 man days

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Breakthrough is still much better than conquest in this game

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
I thought this thread loved breakthrough? Personally I'd like it better if it was 16 vs 16. My ps4 poor can't handle the massive battles all that well :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

lambskin posted:

I thought this thread loved breakthrough? Personally I'd like it better if it was 16 vs 16. My ps4 poor can't handle the massive battles all that well :(

really? i've never had a problem with my console itself. sure it acts like a tiny spaceheater but it's not juddering or anything

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

really? i've never had a problem with my console itself. sure it acts like a tiny spaceheater but it's not juddering or anything

Yeah I notice frame drops when I'm on the frontline. It's not all that bad but I only notice it when in 64 man gamemodes.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
Honestly playing on xbox one x and ps4 pro is such a huge advantage, especially one x. My roommate has a launch xbox and the game looks like a blurry mess compared to my one x. I'm not surprised the original consoles are chugging with all the visual effects the game outputs.

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Is the game broken for anyone else? None of my assignments or tides of war progress was showing in the menus, and when I try to play a game it loads me into a server but the UI is all blank and I can’t spawn. I see other people playing on the map though so it must not be everyone. Tried resetting the game a few times too.

On PS4

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

FastestGunAlive posted:

Last night was the first night I encountered a good attack pilot. He was running the heavy guns on the Stuka and got me twice in the swaghound in a single pass and multiple other times he left be near death. Not to detract from him but we had zero pubbies flying so he had the skies to himself.

I guess I didn't see it, but spawn AA camper sent me a bunch of messages begging me to stop. Good to have validation that it works.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I guess I didn't see it, but spawn AA camper sent me a bunch of messages begging me to stop. Good to have validation that it works.

I will definitely be messaging him again tonight: “hey remember that time you got one kill in a round with the aa tank? Imagine how many infantry and tanks you could have killed if you had moved out of the spawn”

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Swaghounds keepin it 💯 kills

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

FastestGunAlive posted:

Like the good old days of Zavod 311.

Except I could actually help attack flags in BF4 because armor was useful.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'd grab an AA tank on Zavod and spend the first few minutes of the map cutting down trees on our side of the map with the 30mm cannons.

The whole side of the map would feature hardly any trees for people to hide behind. Anybody assaulting us would be instantly spotted and murdrered. Was it a little tedious? Sure. But 5-6 minutes worth of work made a world of difference in winning or losing.

Don't even get me started on parking my AA tank-drivin' rear end at C on Golmud Railway with a squad dedicated to defending me and issuing a statement in the public chat that half of the map was now officially a "No Fly Zone". If I did get killed at C, i'd just jihad jeep all the other tanks at various points around the map until they gave up.

Basically, BF4 owned and I miss it dearly.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

bad rear end round of Breakthrough with my fellow Butts last night!

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

The Bananana posted:

bad rear end round of Breakthrough with my fellow Butts last night!

Good times! I'm loving the more accurate medic guns. Absolute lasers in ranges that matter and you have great hipfire so you can strafe around dudes all day.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FastestGunAlive posted:

I will buy you a PS4. Please teach me your ways.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
HMLs the champ, Ive never gotten as many kills as him. I’m usually good for about twenty kills and a couple deaths.

Really we just lucked out that round, plus classic pubbie stupidity (it was aerodrome so everyone bee lines for the hangar all round, making them easy pickings; when they did try to attack us they just ran head on instead of flanking or sneaking; their tanks sucked), and we were actively coordinating to stay near each other and watch each other’s back.

Our next round was pretty horrible; playing infantry on fjord, so it kind of evens out.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

red19fire posted:

I will buy you a PS4. Please teach me your ways.

Stage flags by destroying all cover/trees, stick to the high ground, run like a bitch as soon as you get hit by a panzerfaust/tank, stay mostly in 3rd person and watch your map closely to make sure you're not too far beyond your lines.

Really if you and a buddy can get swag wagons just stick together and you'll murder.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 4, 2019

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Shooting down planes with panzer / piat will never get old

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Hot Diggity! posted:

I've only managed it once but I was about as hyped as I've ever been playing video games

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Hot Diggity! posted:

It's not quite as satisfying as an extreme range SMAW/TOW kill on a Viper or Littlebird crew, but yeah it's pretty loving good stuff.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Julius CSAR posted:

It's not quite as satisfying as an extreme range SMAW/TOW kill on a Viper or Littlebird crew, but yeah it's pretty loving good stuff.

Yeah agreed, the visuals and audio when you blow up a plane in BFV just lack the punch of hitting a heli or jet in BF4.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Noctone posted:

Yeah agreed, the visuals and audio when you blow up a plane in BFV just lack the punch of hitting a heli or jet in BF4.

I'll have to tweak into a .gif but I've got a great teamplay clip of me killing an A-10 with a Javelin from waaaaay downtown, and because it was laser guided it does the top attack and just creams this loving guy. I'll post it in here later this evening.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Golmund is peak gaming for me. The way it was laid out you were gonna see something truly wild every loving match. God it was good. I like the extra chaos bf4 had but for me a lot of the reason that was so good was bc golmund. I feel like all the maps were a bit stronger then, the strategies and what was important to hold was far more obvious so it had a better flow or something. Like i dont dislike the bf5 maps but as a new player to this version its definetly taking me longer to learn them.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I can’t figure out how do the gif, but the good part starts at 18s

https://xboxclips.com/CASTLE%20BR4V0/50251364-8b72-40e8-8cff-1b58b9510ffb/embed

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Julius CSAR posted:

I can’t figure out how do the gif, but the good part starts at 18s

https://xboxclips.com/CASTLE%20BR4V0/50251364-8b72-40e8-8cff-1b58b9510ffb/embed

bf4 was a good game

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

How in the hell are you supposed to win Breakthrough as the attackers on Hamada? The final sector is three checkpoints, and the enemy spawn is like ten seconds away from all three of them. Ah well, got all my Tides of War objectives done for this week so I'm done with that lovely game type. The "epic" headgear for all of that isn't even that cool.

When I'm playing Assault I seriously use my Revolver as much as I use the Gewehr 43 since its hip fire is absolutely atrocious. Revolver Supremacy!!!!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The Midniter posted:

When I'm playing Assault I seriously use my Revolver as much as I use the Gewehr 43 since its hip fire is absolutely atrocious. Revolver Supremacy!!!!

The Gewehr's hipfire spec actually makes it decent at it. Not great but you definitely won't need to switch to a sidearm unless you're out of ammo.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
highlight reel from last times before I go make more

silly tanks who think they're safe outside the combat area
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWWVmPVAluM

I notice out the corner of my eye here that there's a bad guy reviving another bad guy while I revive my Revo or Bangles here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5bkdPvloxo&t=32s

the fully sickest in-real-time V-2 drop on the library here haha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kltoqyRuZfc

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
fun run of games with the ps4 goons this weekend, especially that ludicrous rotterdam kill room

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Rotterdam and fjell breakthrough are the least fun i have had in this game.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
why the gently caress isnt panzerstorm on breakthrough, or just in all the rotations period

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

vivisectvnv posted:

fun run of games with the ps4 goons this weekend, especially that ludicrous rotterdam kill room

Is there a squad or something to join?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

blugu64 posted:

Is there a squad or something to join?

Yes what's ur psn I'll send you an invite! Friend gunshow_poophole too :)

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

So, we get a battle royale soonish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Tei posted:

So, we get a battle royale soonish?

Should be out sometime in March.