Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

Well. It's a battle royale game. It seems totally unremarkable. It's just Blackout I guess.

It's gonna make a lot of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

an actual dog posted:

It's not and then EA is going to kill Respawn

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I admire your passion

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

Idk. Do people want another BR game. Can't you just play the one your friends like forever.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemming posted:

It's not and then EA is going to kill Respawn

No! They're supposed to kill Bioware first!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

EA kills everyone eventually

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

homeless snail posted:

lootboxes, and battle passes, and buyable characters. welcome to hell

Jesus god

I acknowledge the necessity of continued revenue for a "live service" game but even if you're F2P there's a loving limit to what you can get away with.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The extra hosed up part about this is that the Battlefield Battle Royale is coming out in like 2 weeks. Which is exactly what they did to Titanfall 2.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

He definitely sounds super happy to be working on this project lol

In Training posted:

The extra hosed up part about this is that the Battlefield Battle Royale is coming out in like 2 weeks. Which is exactly what they did to Titanfall 2.

:rip:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

I wonder if it'll be reversed this time, though, because I'm seeing a reasonable amount of excitement for Apex Legends outside of this thread, meanwhile everyone seems to have entirely forgotten Battlefield V is getting a battle royale mode at all.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

gonna be funny if this kills respawn since they're currently making the only not yet cancelled star wars game

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

Idk. Do people want another BR game. Can't you just play the one your friends like forever.

There's specifically a gap for a F2P Blackout, I think

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I know EA Games gets a lot of poo poo for killing off game developers, especially devs from the 90s, however, I would argue that EA Games did the right thing allowing these studios to die. Everyone from the old EA guard has gone on to make kickstarter scams and other trash. The most well known dumpster fires that were spawned from EA's mercy killings were Star Citizen, and Shroud of the Avatar.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

man, i forgot there was even a battlefield v. didn’t one (the 4th battlefield) come out just last year

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

EA kills everyone eventually

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

an actual dog posted:

There's specifically a gap for a F2P Blackout, I think

That's true. I hope it does well so Respawn can make other stuff. But BR is definitely not for me.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I said come in! posted:

I know EA Games gets a lot of poo poo for killing off game developers, especially devs from the 90s, however, I would argue that EA Games did the right thing allowing these studios to die. Everyone from the old EA guard has gone on to make kickstarter scams and other trash. The most well known dumpster fires that were spawned from EA's mercy killings were Star Citizen, and Shroud of the Avatar.

You're a loving idiot lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

man, i forgot there was even a battlefield v. didn’t one (the 4th battlefield) come out just last year

I think it was 2016

Also I think BFOne was the fifth Battlefield because there was a Battlefield 4 before it.

There's usually like a two-year gap between Battlefield games so V was pretty much on schedule (BF4 in 2014, One in 2016, V in 2018)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Battlefield V came out like 2 months ago.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

In Training posted:

That's true. I hope it does well so Respawn can make other stuff. But BR is definitely not for me.

If this game does well we're probably more likely to see a Titanfall 3 so I'm rooting for it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Battlefield V came out like 2 months ago.

Is that thing still getting it's Battle Royale mode? So now EA is making Titanfall compete with Battlefield yet again?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Harrow posted:

I think it was 2016

Also I think BFOne was the fifth Battlefield because there was a Battlefield 4 before it.

There's usually like a two-year gap between Battlefield games so V was pretty much on schedule (BF4 in 2014, One in 2016, V in 2018)

so what you’re telling me is they called the fifth battlefield battlefield one and the sixth battlefield battlefield five

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Is that thing still getting it's Battle Royale mode? So now EA is making Titanfall compete with Battlefield yet again?

Yeah, pretty much. Though again I don't think anyone really gives a poo poo about BFV's battle royale mode so Apex Legends might actually have a shot.

Cowcaster posted:

so what you’re telling me is they called the fifth battlefield battlefield one and the sixth battlefield battlefield five

Hell yeah they did

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

then again they called the first battlefield battlefield 1942

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

EA will never be punished for their mistakes because their partnership with Disney is only their third-most lucrative and corrupt

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

What is especially weird about this new Battle Royale game is that Battlefield V is already getting a BR mode later this year.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

Still waiting for the other 1941 sequels.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Here's the thing if this game does well that's great for Respawn as far as keeping their doors open but then they are gonna be stuck doing Apex Legends updates for the rest of eternity

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A decent F2P BR seems a lot more likely to be a success than the Battlefield one idk

Isn't that what happened with Fortnite/PUBG

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

Here's the thing if this game does well that's great for Respawn as far as keeping their doors open but then they are gonna be stuck doing Apex Legends updates for the rest of eternity

It won't, this is the end of Respawn.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

there were 5 games between battlefield 2 and 3, the number was never not hosed

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

someday EA's value will drop to the point where they'll be acquired by a larger company and then they'll be the ones having to deal with the possibility of shuttering

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

They already laid out the first 18 months of support or something in the announce trailer, so yeah. If they actually haven't started TF3 it would be another 5-7 years before we saw 3 or something.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

someday EA's value will drop to the point where they'll be acquired by a larger company and then they'll be the ones having to deal with the possibility of shuttering

Honestly I don't think a single person works at EA with the assumption that their job is secure or long term.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

there's so many service games now, who the heck is playing all of them

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

A decent F2P BR seems a lot more likely to be a success than the Battlefield one idk

Isn't that what happened with Fortnite/PUBG

i think that was more pubg was the first minimum viable product and fortnite was the first triple a whack at the genre and also it was free to play

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tales of Woe posted:

there's so many service games now, who the heck is playing all of them

I still play splatoon and monster hunter. but i also cant put money into them.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

i think that was more pubg was the first minimum viable product and fortnite was the first triple a whack at the genre and also it was free to play
also it didn't creep people out by being a milsim derivative like pubg

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My favorite Service Games are the Yakuza series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

watching xQc play this and Apex doesn't look THAT bad honestly