Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don’t think the argument is that it’s bad, just that nobody wants it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still think of SimCity 2013 and laugh from time to time

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

frajaq posted:

watching xQc play this and Apex doesn't look THAT bad honestly

So we're at Stage 1 now

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

In Training posted:

I still play splatoon and monster hunter. but i also cant put money into them.

I definitely would if I could

Nintendo is being v. cautious about crossing the microtransaction line for their console lineup. Just a few kids stealing dad's credit card away from a pr crisis, not that it's stopped anyone else

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

if this is really the first high production value f2p alternative to fortnite i could see it sticking i guess

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RBA Starblade posted:

I still think of SimCity 2013 and laugh from time to time

I thought that game was pleasant enough even if it didn't work. Also I got a copy of Mass Effect 3 as part of EA's damage control campaign

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tales of Woe posted:

if this is really the first high production value f2p alternative to fortnite i could see it sticking i guess

i dunno man, how many triple a minecraft clones do you remember these days

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought that game was pleasant enough even if it didn't work. Also I got a copy of Mass Effect 3 as part of EA's damage control campaign

that just sounds like them trying to kill off the surviving witnesses

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Cowcaster posted:

i dunno man, how many triple a minecraft clones do you remember these days

Dragon Quest Builders, I guess. Its at least AA.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I for one am glad Respawn gets to try to make something new.

How about instead of crying that it's not Titanfall 3, we give the good developer the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best?

I will be trying it out soon.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

portal knights is pretty decent

PantsBandit posted:

How about instead of crying that it's not Titanfall 3, we give the good developer the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best?

that's fine, I'm just getting the same vibes as Agents of Mayhem, the game that was not Saints Row 5 and killed Volition

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Battle Royales are the “went home to be with family” of soon-to-be-dead developers.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

PantsBandit posted:

This is a kidney stone that the devs were forced to pass

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

remember when cliffyb got mad that his crew was leaving to take jobs at epic rather than work on his lovely Fortnite clone, even though he already knew the studio was going to close and everyone was going to lose their jobs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm glad they get to make something new, a *looks at clipboard* uh f2p hero shooter battle royale game

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Samuringa posted:

This is a kidney stone that the devs were forced to pass

I mean, maybe? But also even if they felt pressured to make this game, it doesn't change the fact that they have proven their ability to make fun first person shooters. Sure Battle Royale is very flavor of the month right now but that doesn't mean the game can't be quality.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

remember when cliffyb got mad that his crew was leaving to take jobs at epic rather than work on his lovely Fortnite clone, even though he already knew the studio was going to close and everyone was going to lose their jobs

I feel bad for those who stayed behind, they were laid off and told about it over Twitter and a Kotaku article.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wonder if Nintendo will ever get in on the BR thing or if they're ok just having Fortnite and all the other ones on Switch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

I wonder if Nintendo will ever get in on the BR thing or if they're ok just having Fortnite and all the other ones on Switch
they'll make one in about 15 years and it will be SICK

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I feel bad for those who stayed behind, they were laid off and told about it over Twitter and a Kotaku article.
and then CliffyB 'retired' from games because the industry was too "toxic", which, yes it is, but you contributed to the toxicity, rear end in a top hat

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Help Im Alive posted:

Super Royale Bros.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

fyi you're asking whether Nintendo has the capability of doing an online game where a hundred people battle each other at once

the most players they've ever had in an online game is what, 4v4 with splatoon? it's not their core competency

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

and then CliffyB 'retired' from games because the industry was too "toxic", which, yes it is, but you contributed to the toxicity, rear end in a top hat

This one time, during the height of development on Lawbreaker, he spent an entire day on Twitter asking his followers to stalk and harass a woman. I imagine the people working under CliffyB were massively embarrassed to have to associate & work with him.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I'm glad they get to make something new, a *looks at clipboard* uh f2p hero shooter battle royale game

It's a battle royale with respawns. Say what you will about chasing a trend, they are at least attempting something new.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does anyone in this thread play battle royales?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's your regular Star Citizen update!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I'm still in Austin enjoying not freezing. At a pinball place listening to Black Knight 2000 on loop.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I played a ton of Fortnite for about 6 months last year.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah I enjoy PUBG and Blackout. Actually played a poo poo load of pubg in early access but never really got any good.

I miss when The Culling was popular. I liked the emphasis on melee weapons. It led to a lot more mind-games.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

In Training posted:

I still play splatoon and monster hunter. but i also cant put money into them.

Monster Hunter has some emotes and stuff if you really want to give Capcom some money.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well i pulled the trigger on nioh, now i'm off to grab a beer while it installed as the weather graces us with temperatures above 50 degrees

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Cowcaster posted:

well i pulled the trigger on nioh, now i'm off to grab a beer while it installed as the weather graces us with temperatures above 50 degrees

I've actually begun a new playthrough today on the Ps4 after quitting on the second stage a while ago. Make sure that as soon as you're done with the tutorial you buy the Skill that knocks down foes with 0 stamina with a strong attack.

Also, you're ridiculously fragile, defend a lot and never attack someone that is defending unless you have a big rear end Axe.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Jay Rust posted:

Long live radical heights

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

I'm still in Austin enjoying not freezing. At a pinball place listening to Black Knight 2000 on loop.

pinballz owns, though unfortunately the worst location is the most accessible

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

11 degrees here

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

This song is rad. "Give me your money"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

What's the name of that hand animated Vanillaware looking game about Journey to the West that just came out and literally no one is talking about? Something Heroes of Legend or other generic title.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

al-azad posted:

What's the name of that hand animated Vanillaware looking game about Journey to the West that just came out and literally no one is talking about? Something Heroes of Legend or other generic title.
Unruly Heroes, and it's more like Rayman Legends than Vanillaware because it's by the same devs/artists and they basically recreated the UbiArts style in Unity

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Samuringa posted:

I've actually begun a new playthrough today on the Ps4 after quitting on the second stage a while ago. Make sure that as soon as you're done with the tutorial you buy the Skill that knocks down foes with 0 stamina with a strong attack.

Also, you're ridiculously fragile, defend a lot and never attack someone that is defending unless you have a big rear end Axe.

Personally, I'd say the Living Water skills are even more of a priority than getting grapples. They let you Ki Pulse while dodging which is just humongous in terms of enhancing your tactical mobility. It's also worth keeping in mind that blocking is much stronger than in a lot of other action games. While it does take ki, it blocks all physical and at least half elemental damage 360 degree around you.

And I disagree with that bit about defending. If the enemy's ki gauge is low, it's totally worth switching to high stance to try and break them. Axes are best at doing it but Odachi and Tonfa are also much better than most people give them credit for against blocking opponents. In fact, finding the right opportunity/timing to guard break human opponents is a very good tactic generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Titanfall's BR spin-off thing is a very solid CODBO4BR (:shepface:) rip-off but I don't like how you're forced to play in a squad. Hopefully they'll add a solo mode eventually.