Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Gatts posted:

Captain Marvel can fly and shoot beams...why is she fighting a salary man and struggling to lift herself up? Unless she forgot?

Presumably this is before she learns how to use her full powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am super confused why she is fighting a grandma, and then an accountant. There's zero context and it's making me less and less interested.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I am super confused why she is fighting a grandma, and then an accountant. There's zero context and it's making me less and less interested.

it's skrulls

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

I said come in! posted:

Gonna guess that they're Skrulls

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It's loving wild that we're on our second trailer and they haven't even established the basic fact that Skrulls can look like other people yet.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Fart City posted:

It's loving wild that we're on our second trailer and they haven't even established the basic fact that Skrulls can look like other people yet.

no spoilers please

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I finally watched avengers: infinity war, and wow it straight up is not a movie??? Like, it's just a bunch of clips sewn together with no coherence between them. The very first scene feels like it starts 10 minutes in.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

no spoilers please

Sorry, you... uh.. misunderstood me.

Captain Marvel's main nemesis is grandmothers.

Werther's of Mass Destruction, you know.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Shazam! toys might've spoiled the movie

https://imgur.com/bNqSYZN
https://imgur.com/3HfYVBg

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it'd be kinda funny if this was a swerve on comic book knowers and they're just humans that capt. marvel is being falsely told are skrulls

but i think im3 is gonna be the only time marvel studios pulls off something like that

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Fart City posted:

Probably because skrulls/secret invasion is gonna be the next big bad threat they build up to, but won't actually be revealed until the after-credits of Endgame.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Brother Entropy posted:

but i think im3 is gonna be the only time marvel studios pulls off something like that

Nerd screeching almost assuredly insured that will never happen again.

Away all Goats posted:

Probably because skrulls/secret invasion is gonna be the next big bad threat they build up to, but won't actually be revealed until the after-credits of Endgame.

I mean unless Captain Marvel is a hot 90 minutes of Brie Larson punching randos in the face, it's gonna have to be established in the movie at some point.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Fart City posted:

One of the trailers had a Skrull scanning a woman in a bikini and then turning into her

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

We pretty much already knew that the movie was a really close adaptation of the recent "New 52" Shazam graphic novel just from what we saw in the earlier trailers, it shouldn't really be a surprise that one more thing from the comic is confirmed to be in the film.

(If you want to get some background on the character but you don't want the film to be 100% spoiled then I guess you should only read the old stuff)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

NTRabbit posted:

One of the trailers had a Skrull scanning a woman in a bikini and then turning into her

It's also not a giant leap if you look at the trailer and the train clip. In the trailer, Captain Marvel punches a granny on a train, the granny does kung fu. There are also aliens who seem to be evil. Did the aliens build a robot granny?

In the train clip, Captain Marvel chases an accountant on top of a train. Why are there so many trains in this movie? Did she finish off the granny and this guy witnessed it and Captain Marvel is trying to silence him?

Like, Marvel movies get rightfully shat on for looking horrible but the trailer and train clip don't lack in information. You just need to actually look at them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Grendels Dad posted:

It's also not a giant leap if you look at the trailer and the train clip. In the trailer, Captain Marvel punches a granny on a train, the granny does kung fu. There are also aliens who seem to be evil. Did the aliens build a robot granny?

In the train clip, Captain Marvel chases an accountant on top of a train. Why are there so many trains in this movie? Did she finish off the granny and this guy witnessed it and Captain Marvel is trying to silence him?

Like, Marvel movies get rightfully shat on for looking horrible but the trailer and train clip don't lack in information. You just need to actually look at them.

it's a marvel movie so both of those things could be true

this is not the own you think it is

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

it's a marvel movie so both of those things could be true

this is not the own you think it is

Look, I'm all for giving the MCU its lovely due, but if you have problems gathering basic information like "the accountant and granny might be connected to the aliens and each other", that's on you.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Grendels Dad posted:

Look, I'm all for giving the MCU its lovely due, but if you have problems gathering basic information like "the accountant and granny might be connected to the aliens and each other", that's on you.

shifting the goalposts from 'the aliens can shapeshift' to 'they're just connected to the antagonists in some way' is pretty wild

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NTRabbit posted:

... which was immediately followed by the shots of Captain Marvel fighting the ninja granny on the train with a voiceover saying "Skrulls are invading your planet. They're shapeshifters."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shRKB9QiTus

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

shifting the goalposts from 'the aliens can shapeshift' to 'they're just connected to the antagonists in some way' is pretty wild

:rolleyes: You call it shifting goalposts, I call it giving you an out and not appear like an idiot. But you do you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

This is just the way quite a lot of the MCU movies look.

Just... lots of cement and gray haze, and camerawork/editing that sucks the tension out of every fight scene.

What if the marvel cinematic universe were in color?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
And cars!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Fart City posted:

Sorry, you... uh.. misunderstood me.

Captain Marvel's main nemesis is grandmothers.

Werther's of Mass Destruction, you know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XR4gcOn2G0

Checks out.

Wow, Black Panther and Spider-man!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fart City posted:

The first trailer established that perfectly fine with the kung fu grandma. I say this as someone who knows nothing about the Skrulls. I knew after that trailer that the granny was a Skrull. To say you didn’t is what’s really loving wild.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I haven't watched any Captain marvel trailers but let me tell you why I think it's bad.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's p. bad.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

porfiria posted:

I just can't handle every action sequence taking place at 1:00pm on a cloudy day. It's loving disgusting.

It's LA in the 90s you loving assholes! Set it at sunset or something Jesus.

It’s a real cinematic achievement, no one has ever made LA look more like Buffalo

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What if the marvel cinematic universe were in color?

Thanos's next snap turns everyone into Tsum Tsum, just you wait.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NTRabbit posted:

Imagine having seen They Live or read Skrull Kill Krew and getting this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NTRabbit posted:

Are they Transformers now?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I keep reading 'Skrull' as 'Skull' and thinking it would probably be better if we got a Marvel movie where the enemies were just giant floating skulls.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chairman Capone posted:

I keep reading 'Skrull' as 'Skull' and thinking it would probably be better if we got a Marvel movie where the enemies were just giant floating skulls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HskOcc1ILAM

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBlG5AXcb-k

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

that was cool.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Fart City posted:

The second trailer outright says to you, in plain English, that Skrulls can look like other people. It also literally shows a Skrull turning into another person.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BrianWilly posted:

The second trailer outright says to you, in plain English, that Skrulls can look like other people. It also literally shows a Skrull turning into another person.

Sure, but what's with the terrible visuals?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Sure, but what's with the terrible visuals?

The entire film reel is an alien

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

The entire film reel is an alien

You'd think it'd shapeshift into a movie that didn't look like poo poo

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

McCloud posted:

You'd think it'd shapeshift into a movie that didn't look like poo poo

But then it'd be obvious it wasn't a Marvel movie and the jig would be up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I look at the Avengers/Captain Marvel trailer and I look at the Hobbs and Shaw trailer and I wonder how is this even the same industry? It's late night local cable TV vs full on Hollywood blockbuster level of different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuRcYUbE2zE

Gatts fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 5, 2019