Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

anything new on this in the last 18 months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Rhesus Pieces posted:

a software guy in that work gossip twitter thread floating around a few weeks back implied that a staggeringly high percentage of coders can’t code at all and just copy/paste off of google and stack overflow all day and collect a handsome paycheck for it

man i wish some of the zeroes ive worked with had that kind of initiative. some just keep trying a problem with no generalized idea of how to get themselves unstuck if left to their own devices or turn in code that they clearly didnt test

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

software doesn’t work better because you invented it or typed it in from memory. if you’re solving $90K worth of problems by copying from SO or O’Reilly books, enjoy your money in good conscience.

Dec 26, 2012

yeah that’s the thing, if they just stole a SO snippet in most cases it would at least work

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

anything new on this in the last 18 months?

no, because it's not really an interesting or meaningful attack

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Over Easy posted:

all pop art during the Cold War was a CIA operation aimed at discrediting the Soviet Union's undeniable, unrivaled mastery of fine art

russians remain probably the best artists, it's hosed up. look around tumblr or something and all the russian 12 year olds completely fuckin school the rest of us, it's a painful truth

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Main Paineframe posted:

no, because it's not really an interesting or meaningful attack

It would be better if they could compromise CRISPR payloads or something.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm just waiting on someone developing the Rawlings virus from altered carbon

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
excited for some czerch nerd to kill me in vrchat with a snow crash virus

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

smarxist posted:

excited for some czerch nerd to kill me in vrchat with a snow crash virus

Sir, all Czech are chads (Chzachds). You mean the slovak incels? They are very powerful.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The Machine That Won The War but it's our reality.

i don't know what this is but david bowies saviour machine is our future. cant wait for skynet to launch the nukes purely out of boredom

wait poo poo is it TRONP???

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I wonder if anyone's ever studied the dynamics of how things spread between threads here on the forums. That 2017 tweet about DNA malware must have turned up in a dozen different threads over the past few days.

Once SA thread dynamics have been figured out, of course, then the Russians can weaponize it, and next election all the goons are being played like a fiddle just as badly as our grandparents on Facebook.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I'm just waiting on someone developing the Rawlings virus from altered carbon

I sort of liked the Netflix TV series even though it was sort of train wreck especially near the end.

Also had to stand up and applaud the James Purefoy gets nude scene.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Powered Descent posted:

I wonder if anyone's ever studied the dynamics of how things spread between threads here on the forums. That 2017 tweet about DNA malware must have turned up in a dozen different threads over the past few days.

Once SA thread dynamics have been figured out, of course, then the Russians can weaponize it, and next election all the goons are being played like a fiddle just as badly as our grandparents on Facebook.
I mean, we played ourselves just fine in 2016.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SardonicTyrant posted:

I mean, we played ourselves just fine in 2016.

right? i think the biggest mistake is believing there needs to be some grand conspiracy to legitimize evil

you just need to convince enough people you'll help them and hurt others on their behalf

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

smarxist posted:

right? i think the biggest mistake is believing there needs to be some grand conspiracy to legitimize evil

you just need to convince enough people you'll help them and hurt others on their behalf

I think this was brilliance of Trump since he tapped into the inherent loserdom, blame game and paranoia of white boomers.

Vote for me, I will create a paradise which is free of the undesirables preventing you from success like illegals.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Trump’s real brilliance was duping the media into giving him 24/7 free publicity during an incredibly crowded primary.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

etalian posted:

I sort of liked the Netflix TV series even though it was sort of train wreck especially near the end.

Also had to stand up and applaud the James Purefoy gets nude scene.

The show was overall pretty good except they made Quell a lame hippie instead of a Maoist

Wrt the ending rei's pseudo-incestuous motivation was dumb but it was kinda cool to see how wealth over time drives you nuts

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Powered Descent posted:

if the russians try to weaponize this place they will find themselves corrupted by it just as we were

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

something awful is the gay idiot god at the center of the internet

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

I think Warhol would have been into this

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

General Dog posted:

Trump’s real brilliance was duping the media into giving him 24/7 free publicity during an incredibly crowded primary.

it wasn't really all that brilliant and he didn't have to 'dupe' them, through it probably wasn't an accident either how he exploited media's clickbaitish tendency to sensationalize anything that will make them money. all it took was a bit of showmanship from a tv conman.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Tastykake posted:

something awful is the gay idiot god at the center of the internet

A dead day idiot god, all power gone and muttering to itself in the bowels of its temple

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

hackbunny posted:

Me too which is why people complaining about it are hilarious.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Nothus posted:

Me too which is why people complaining about it are hilarious.

What if they're complaining cuz gently caress Andy Warhol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

The show was overall pretty good except they made Quell a lame hippie instead of a Maoist

Wrt the ending rei's pseudo-incestuous motivation was dumb but it was kinda cool to see how wealth over time drives you nuts

Thank god it's a streaming show, I just start fast forwarding whenever there was a lovely horrible Quell scene.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Outrail posted:

I'm not an engineer but I deal with creating procedures and methodologies for data collection and poo poo with a potential for 'people could gently caress things up, also the equipment could gently caress things up'. It's incredible how you can say something out there like 'let's build in a redundancy so if someone forgets to 'x' or the equipment does 'y' the process won't just fail immediately' and people look at you like you're an idiot and say "well that shouldn't happen should it?". Yes! It shouldn't! But it will eventually happen so let's build in something to stop that being a problem maybe?

Even in systems that should be completely redundant this just doesn't happen. I've seen fire alarm control panels reboot into programmer mode. Basically if your building's fire panel loses power because of an extended outage (enough to drain the batteries) and then power is restored it's a dice roll whether this certain brand of panel will come back to life or just sit there idly.

Most manufacturers get it right with regards to the OS. Usually a pretty minimal thing that's suited to the application and impossible to break. Then there's this one brand we distribute so I won't name it, but they've gone and built some unholy abomination on top of some home brew unix kernel that's running like 3 layers deep. It's possible to get the OS into invalid states and I'm convinced there's no memory protection for the kernel. The best part is that it records all events in history forever so if you ask it for logs it will invariably hang and require a cold start because it will try to load like 3 years at once.

Dead Beef posted:

people would be worried if they knew how many critical systems are held together by excel

which reminds me of a client I worked with, a very profitable tech company, and they had in the corner of their datacenter an entire rack wrapped in tape and signs that said "DO NOT TOUCH! DO NOT RESTART!" because the machines are running on defunct hardware with defunct software that literally nobody knows how to maintain

they'd be running for 25 years last I checked, their IT monkeys check the power supplies and backup batteries every now and then, but otherwise they respect the signs

The backbone of the last company I worked for was an Okidata dot matrix printer and a Compaq running windows 98. It was the only piece of tech that held their meticulously constructed Word documents that they used to print reports. Moving the report blanks to another computer would gently caress up the formatting since they didn't use margins or tables (or heaven forbid, Excel). All of the reports for every site were on this computer and they required that exact printer because they were using some weird carbon copy paper.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

autism ZX spectrum posted:

Even in systems that should be completely redundant this just doesn't happen. I've seen fire alarm control panels reboot into programmer mode. Basically if your building's fire panel loses power because of an extended outage (enough to drain the batteries) and then power is restored it's a dice roll whether this certain brand of panel will come back to life or just sit there idly.

Most manufacturers get it right with regards to the OS. Usually a pretty minimal thing that's suited to the application and impossible to break. Then there's this one brand we distribute so I won't name it, but they've gone and built some unholy abomination on top of some home brew unix kernel that's running like 3 layers deep. It's possible to get the OS into invalid states and I'm convinced there's no memory protection for the kernel. The best part is that it records all events in history forever so if you ask it for logs it will invariably hang and require a cold start because it will try to load like 3 years at once.

The backbone of the last company I worked for was an Okidata dot matrix printer and a Compaq running windows 98. It was the only piece of tech that held their meticulously constructed Word documents that they used to print reports. Moving the report blanks to another computer would gently caress up the formatting since they didn't use margins or tables (or heaven forbid, Excel). All of the reports for every site were on this computer and they required that exact printer because they were using some weird carbon copy paper.

i just had a funny thought which was "imagine if capitalism worked as advertised and companies with lovely outdated technologies died off and were supplanted by companies that can do the same things smarter"

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The problem is that "smarter" usually mean more technology. Not better, faster, more redundant but just more. You're not selling this to people that know or care, you're selling it to basically laypeople. So the system appears to work.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
To think the idea of a simple robust system that does the bare minumum which is also the nessesary maximum without any fancy poo poo is a laughable pipe drea

That's the fantastical bit of cyberpunk, that hackers brains don't occasionally melt because it's Thursday and the os they're running on is based on a hundred year old version of excel that date formatted their blood pressure to 'Thursday, 22nd March 1636'.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Outrail posted:

That's the fantastical bit of cyberpunk, that hackers brains don't occasionally melt because it's Thursday and the os they're running on is based on a hundred year old version of excel that date formatted their blood pressure to 'Thursday, 22nd March 1636'.

22 March 1636 wasn’t a Thursday under either the Julian or Gregorian calendars.

But that won’t stop Excel.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Feb 5, 2019

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

Outrail posted:

A dead day idiot god, all power gone and muttering to itself in the bowels of its temple

this makes 4chan nyarlathotep doesnt it

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Powered Descent posted:

Um, we all just crave the endorphin rush of a blankquote, really not that hard.

Russians just need to make everything yellow.

Also :pisstape:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

hackbunny posted:

oh god I hate even the idea of Warhol's youtube channel

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Being able to tweet pictures of valerie solanas at warhol would have been pretty cool though

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

i just had a funny thought which was "imagine if capitalism worked as advertised and companies with lovely outdated technologies died off and were supplanted by companies that can do the same things smarter"

the problem is exactly the opposite - lovely outdated technologies that were assembled in a carefully planned design and subjected to a rigorous design and QA process are being replaced by the latest technology pieced together haphazardly from Chinese bargain bins by two interns making half the market rate at the behest of some obvious hustler who bluffed their way into the contract

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

well that doesnt describe something being supplanted by a better thing it describes something being replaced by a piece of poo poo.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Shear Modulus posted:

well that doesnt describe something being supplanted by a better thing it describes something being replaced by a piece of poo poo.

We just sold it to yahoo for a thousand times the development cost and our stock price tripled overnight.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Pick posted:

russians remain probably the best artists, it's hosed up. look around tumblr or something and all the russian 12 year olds completely fuckin school the rest of us, it's a painful truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

:same: