Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
When artefact hunting, does it matter which ruins you dig in, 1 or 2, for specific ones? or is it all an equally random chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They have different items.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I heard there's a third tier of artifact scanner, where is it?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Panfilo posted:

I heard there's a third tier of artifact scanner, where is it?

Do you mean after the "can lock onto 5 things, shows you their names" tier?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Zesty posted:

They have different items.

I guess I'll be grinding the first ruin for a while. I want that monument.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Baller Time posted:

Ugh, I just spruced up my house and now some homeless person is hanging around my property!

tell your dad to go pound sand

I’m not sure what to do anymore in my game. I finished the main quest line, and got a bunch of “here’s what you did and how much you did!” end credits, but I had rushed the main quest and hadn’t finished like half the other stuff I wanted to do. I don’t know whether I keep puttering around in this save, or if I start over and slow-play the main quest so I can actually have my poo poo together when that final scoring happens.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mordiceius posted:

There are a surprising amount of people that want Higgins to be able to be romanced. They get off on the enemy to lover dynamic and they're all loving crazy.

Hey man, I'm not here to judge. Everyone should be able to marry whoever makes them happy. Besides, rivals to romance is a longstanding tradition.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Honestly they missed out a chance to have Higgins be a united unique character where you could do things to make him a bitter rival (sabotaging his efforts, stealing from him, implying his sister is a whore) resulting in beating him in points more easily at the cost of alienating the community, or a frenemy where your competitions have a collective benefit and you both get more chances to make money though giving Higgins a points edge in the process.

So you're filled with dilemmas- put a flaming bag of horse poo on his front yard, pudding him (and the Civil corps) off, or helping him with lucrative commissions that will pay more and take less resources by working together.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Fhqwhgads posted:

I guess I'll be grinding the first ruin for a while. I want that monument.

Sounds good but if you don't need anything else there, maybe consider waiting until you get the relic scanner upgrade. It shows you the shape of the items before you go digging for them and increases the range of view to something like 30-35 meters.

The upgrade is unlocked by progressing the main story to a certain point. I'm not exactly sure where that point is, but I got it around the end of the first Summer.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Well this is awkward.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

That reminds me, the character who's the richest man in the world looks like two toddlers in a trench coat due to his tall gangly frame.

Also the mayor's teeth are really freaky, like one of those horrifying dental education puppets.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I think they've made the Hazardous Wasteland more difficult since the beta (around last November.) It was possible to just brute force through most of the area, but now a little bit of skill is needed. I'm not sure I'm fully on board with this.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I got the 3rd level assembly machine and hot drat is it awesome, I've also got a dude on my property who automates everything, got some automated plants with auto fertilizers. This game is really neat because it does feel I earned all this.

Now to start leveling up my social stuff so I can start getting into some pants.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The social tree seems kind of meh. Drill/Chainsaw damage will be good when I finally get it. All I want in the combat tree is the final melee crit damage one. Will probably drop a point on identifying fish.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Get one point in fish identifying asap, get rich from fishing wisefish (worth 350 each) in the fishing spot in collapsed wasteland as soon as it's opened.

Really good moneymaker earlygame.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I hired Ack finally, but how do I make him actually do things? I know I have to unlock them with chips, but he just visits to stare at his dead girlfriend and then leaves :(.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

JosefStalinator posted:

I hired Ack finally, but how do I make him actually do things? I know I have to unlock them with chips, but he just visits to stare at his dead girlfriend and then leaves :(.

You've gotta get him to a certain friendship level, he loves (10 points+) iron pots which are really cheap to make from your workshop so you can get that up quick

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Just got this game and I am surprisingly enjoying it quite a bit! It's super chill.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

It's definitely super chill. I just passed the fall horseracing event and didn't even feel the need to do it. I've never ridden a horse, actually. Now that I've upgraded my farm size, I should probably get a stable, huh?

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 4, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fhqwhgads posted:

It's risky super chill. I just passed the fall horseracing event and didn't even feel the need to do it. I've never ridden a horse, actually. Now that I've upgraded my farm size, I should probably get a stable, huh?

It's a serious gamechanger in the speed that you can get around, especially once you maximize the training on your horse.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I've hit a lull between the desert mine events so maybe I'll focus on a stable next.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
From the Discord

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Spudd posted:

You've gotta get him to a certain friendship level, he loves (10 points+) iron pots which are really cheap to make from your workshop so you can get that up quick

You need to have him like you enough to actually do work? I got him high enough to hire, didn't realize he had to like me even more to work for his money?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is 40 badges the most you can get in one year of the fishing contest? i could only get in two shots per day for two days and won all of them for 40 total, but you need like 120 to buy everything

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Oof. Desert bridge sure does require a gently caress ton of carbon steel.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Oof. Desert bridge sure does require a gently caress ton of carbon steel.

Once you start working on it you're basically in non-stop carbon steel territory.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

Once you start working on it you're basically in non-stop carbon steel territory.

I constantly have two furnaces making carbon steel and it never feels like enough.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zerilan posted:

I constantly have two furnaces making carbon steel and it never feels like enough.

Two civil and four industrial and I still felt cramped on it. (with four stone constantly making charcoal)

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Verviticus posted:

is 40 badges the most you can get in one year of the fishing contest? i could only get in two shots per day for two days and won all of them for 40 total, but you need like 120 to buy everything

I think it’s 60 - you can fish twice the first day and once the second. Also, there’s a perk in the Social tree which reduces by 10% the cost of all seasonal rewards, which you can get 5 times, so you can technically earn everything in a year, I think.

I’m staring my third run and I keep getting screwed up by taking contracts that it turns out I don’t have the recipes for, stupid memory messing with me. This run I’m going to skip sheds because I think it’ll be easier to just hire the Corps to get me fur and pay Sophie for fertilizer than spend every morning petting animals. I haven’t done coops before - do you need to pet chickens?

Edit: yeah, once that bridge started I had two furnaces on constant carbon bar duty, it was nuts

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I never bothered with sheds, since unlike Stardew Valley the farmed resources aren't exactly cash cows compared to just digging up rocks and doing commissions.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Thanks for convincing me to get used to the initial jankiness and overlook some dodgy audio editing - the core of this game is charming and quite engaging!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Picked this up and I'm enjoying myself so far, although I just completed the rat dungeon and it was the most boring tedious slog on the planet through awful button mash combat, really hoping it isn't indicative of combat for the whole game!

Quick question: what rate should I be churning up data disks? I've got the tier 2 furnace but no recipes that need any of these fancy new ores, and the disk requests are getting huge (ie: 10 disks to start the research, 10-20 additional disks to speed it up) which makes me feel like I should be drowning in these things.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Sydin posted:

Picked this up and I'm enjoying myself so far, although I just completed the rat dungeon and it was the most boring tedious slog on the planet through awful button mash combat, really hoping it isn't indicative of combat for the whole game!

Quick question: what rate should I be churning up data disks? I've got the tier 2 furnace but no recipes that need any of these fancy new ores, and the disk requests are getting huge (ie: 10 disks to start the research, 10-20 additional disks to speed it up) which makes me feel like I should be drowning in these things.

Combat is real bad but you don't have to do it very often.

How often you'll need to go mining probably corresponds well enough to the amount of data discs you'll use. I've yet to spend more discs on speeding up research.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sydin posted:

I don't speed it up and never run out of data disks. But I also go grab relics from time to time so they just accumulate.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Alright, cool. I just handed over ten disks for the first time and the research time jumped up to four days, so I was worried it was a hint I was supposed to be speeding up research. Will continue to focus on upgrading these piece of poo poo base level furnaces.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

The game is chill so I never rush research. It also lets me use discs to gift the two of them as well.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Yeah for discs as long as you always have research cooking you'll never need to spend extras for rushing. If you get behind by a few weeks I could see it being a problem though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Cuddle animation always looks cute with any character.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:lol: the Church sent me a lovely letter calling me a heretic for firing my poison gun. :nallears:

Kinda confused by the church narrative. Nora and Leo are remarkably civil with me given they're preaching a stridently anti-technology stance and I just moved in to set up an industrial workshop, and a majority of the town also seems to be believers as well despite slapping commissions for civil cutters on the job board. It feels as though there's supposed to be this undercurrent of the pro-tech vs the anti-tech in the city - you even have the research lab and church on opposite ends of town at very contrasting height levels to visually reinforce this - but there just... kinda isn't? Nobody seems all that miffed that I just supplied the town with five busses, bus stops, and electric lighting. idk maybe it gets fleshed out later in the story but the whole theme seems really unbaked right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The church isn't necessarily anti-research and technology - they're just afraid of the weapons that led to the annihilation of the former society. The entire reason they want your discs is to try and make sure no one ever rediscovers the technology required to build automatons and their weapons. It's why they're totally chill with you using the found research to build things and make people's lives better but also super wary when you start using the tech for fighting.