Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

It's like Harvest Moon and Stardew without the farming but a fuckton more crafting chains. You do most of the same stuff. Chop trees. Mine ore. Make friends with the townsfolk. Get married and have children. The only difference is you're not the town farmer. You're the town's craftsman.

It takes place in a post-apocalyptic world that experienced hundreds of years of fallout... in an independent city on the edge of an antagonistic empire. The game looks cutesy and fun but all the background lore is dark and foreboding.

:steam: Available on Steam. :steam:

quote:

Key Features

BUILD YOUR WORKSHOP: Build your Pa's derelict workshop into the best in Portia! Gather resources and craft your way into the hearts of the local community, as you work through daily commissions and villager requests.

RUN YOUR OWN FARM: Grow and nurture your own crops, raise animals and convert the empty woodland surrounding your workshop into a quaint little farm! My Time at Portia offers an innovative approach to farming, allowing you to take advantage of planter boxes and semi-automatic irrigation systems. You can even take your horse or llama out for a ride around the town!

GET CREATIVE: Make your house a home! Apply your personal touch with an exciting range of craftable furniture, decorations and workshop upgrades. Not only will it look great, but each piece will add stat boosts to your character!

JOIN THE COMMUNITY: Become a part of Portia's extraordinary community! Filled with a vibrant cast of unforgettable faces all with energetic personalities, daily routines and exciting stories to share. They go to work, have dinner in restaurants, exercise and interact with each other in lots of interesting ways - make sure you take the time to get to know them all! Who knows, maybe romance could be in the air?

EXPLORE AND BATTLE: Delve deep into the ancient ruins and dungeons of Portia. Grab your pickaxe and Relic Scanner and mine for resources and treasures from the past. Make sure that you equip a weapon, there’s hordes of fearsome monsters and deadly bosses that stand between you and that precious loot!

SKILL UP: Level up your character with a variety of skills to aid you in your adventures. Decide on whether to boost your crafting, combat or social skills depending on your play style.

AND THERE’S MORE: My Time at Portia has something for everyone! Find and explore new lands, take part in regular in-game festivals and many other activities it’s up to you how you spend your time. Why not hone your culinary skills and cook up some tasty food? Take on one of the many mini-games? Or perhaps just kick back and spend the afternoon fishing? The choice is yours!

Looking for similar games?
The Life Sims Megathread
Harvest Moon / Story of Seasons Thread
Stardew Valley thread

Zesty fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gently caress higgins

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Played through most of this game. Will say that the focus on building and commissions is a fun twist on the otherwise farm-heavy genre, and there are so many cute sidequests with the equally cute townspeople and the fact that events can progress without your assistance is great, but holy poo poo is this game janky at the moment -- boring dungeons, unfinished dialog, choppy weird cutscenes...

It definitely shouldn't have been declared v1.0 yet.

Aside: It seems like a lot of people have initial complaints about the colors in this game as well, which are obviously washed out in that kind of photo-filter nostalgia-y way.

anyway hell yeah i married mint. also:

Johnny Joestar posted:

gently caress higgins

not an endorsement fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 17, 2019

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Higgins is the loving worst

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Always steal from higgins. Even when you outrank him every season from the first spring onwards. Petty snatching that one copper bar makes it all worth it.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
Love too falsely accuse Higgins of doing crimes.

One nice quality-of-life improvement I'm thankful for is the Sort All function with storage. It's like quick-stack in Terraria but it effects every storage container on the lot regardless of proximity, which makes maintaining an empty inventory a lot smoother. Also, the crafting stations pull from that same storage pool which is doubly nice.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
How much of the content is accidentally missable, and is there anything particularly important to watch out for?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
There is nothing missable insofar as content. During the storyline you can be in a bit of a race against the other workshop (Higgins) in picking up and completing the contracts but those only give more money and rep and you're guaranteed to do at least one of each.

General starting out tips:
Start expanding throughput early. Build a dozen or so of the first furnaces and keep them constantly churning out metals.
Never just have one of a secondary product machine - 2-3 of each is good though some you'll want more.
Upgrade your house with furniture asap especially stamina and attack ones.
Get 5/5 Intensive training, 4/4 strike, 2/2 Mastery of Pickaxe & Axe in that order first. IT gives bonus xp, Strike increases ALL damage, not just weapons so pickaxes and axes also do more per swing and take less overall to save stamina. The last two are pure 50% reduced stam use.
The highest ranked workshop each month gets a special bonus prize and can be difficult the first month to achieve unless you're diligent so this is really a reiteration of more throughput. Always have a surplus of bars, at least, already sitting around and ready for further refining.
Get food! The cheapest food option from the bar is a good bit of extra stam regen per day for pennies.
Wear +attack items. Same principle as strike from earlier. Umbrella, Crystal Necklace, and Shell Necklace are all available to be crafted from the beginning table.
Turn in data discs from spelunking to the researchers! They're important for new stuff and one of the only time gates.
Upgrade tools ASAP. The increased stam cost is easily offset by the fewer swings.

E: Added more stuff. Also this can all be ignored if you don't care about the (minor) rewards from being top ranked. This is purely to spite higgins and see his smug dumb face be salty.
E2: Also, if you want the event stuff the skill 'Custom Discount' also affects the prices for them with 50% off at 4/4. Just be careful as acupuncture drastically increases in price each time you do it and seems to have no cap.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 17, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Now that you can have kids, what happens to the kids if you get divorced?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Seconding the 'expand throughput'. What a miserable time you have if you don't.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Another thing I figured out the hard way:

Unlock all the 5 disk schematics first. Both the cooking set and blender are useful sooner rather than later.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it can definitely be tempting to aim for higher-level research if you have a stockpile of discs but you definitely should grab all the 5 disc ones first for sure. there's not a huge amount of them.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I started a new save for the release, but I forget when the (multiple early plot commissions spoilers?) Dee-Dee commissions are supposed to start showing up. I built the bridge to Amber Island, installed the battery, killed the rat, and Gale even announced the plan to build the Dee-Dees, but I still only have generic townspeople commissions showing up. Was there another event I've forgotten? I have the blueprint for the Dee-Dees, however, so I've already built two because sportsmanship is for chumps.

I'm also kind of sad they replaced Paulie's voice. On the discord they mentioned losing his VA, but I hoped it would still have the same vibe, not just Generic Man Voice. :sigh: Oh well, I turned off voices anyway to make the occasional lack of VA less jarring, so I'll just pretend he's still a plucky Eastern European (?) dude living his best life.

Edit: apparently my post summoned some sort of arcane magicks because I got the thing in spoilers literally the next in game day. Patience is a virtue or whatever

tudabee fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 18, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
This game is extremely chill. You can min-max all you want but you really don't need to. I had my first year only with 1 of each tier forge/other machines and was still able to complete daily commissions and get first place half way into the second month.

Game is forgiving in many other ways :
-Items stack to 999
-Dying outside just resets the day and that's the worst possible outcome.
-staying up late doesn't have an adverse effect, so do whatever until 3am every day.
-Most commissions have super generous deadlines.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Panfilo posted:

This game is extremely chill. You can min-max all you want but you really don't need to. I had my first year only with 1 of each tier forge/other machines and was still able to complete daily commissions and get first place half way into the second month.

Game is forgiving in many other ways :
-Items stack to 999
-Dying outside just resets the day and that's the worst possible outcome.
-staying up late doesn't have an adverse effect, so do whatever until 3am every day.
-Most commissions have super generous deadlines.

Resets you back to the start of the day as if nothing happened? Or like jump to next morning

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the game saves every time you sleep so iirc it's like it's just reloading a save

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah it just reloads the save from the beginning of that day. So it kind of sucks if you get killed at like 1am since you have to re do the whole day. But that's the worst possible outcome.

In dungeons, a fixed time passes while inside and you get 3 'lives'. Running out of lives just boots you from the dungeon with a few hours passed. That's not bad at all and combat itself is pretty forgiving.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
all the bachelors look like that got swirlied in highschool

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've died outside and I've just been teleported back to my home. I don't think my entire day was reset.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The character designs are odd that's for sure. I'm half expecting Nigel Thornberry to be among the townspeople. The Hulu brothers all look like they hatched out of the same cabbage patch.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Antoine really stood out to me very early in my playtime. And then he talks about how much the furniture guy is dreamy. It's a nice world we live in.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Panfilo posted:

The Hulu brothers all look like they hatched out of the same cabbage patch.

They're apparently a reference to Calabash Brothers which should help explain it.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
Horses are incredibly good. Once you unlock horse rental via a quest in the summer you should start using them immediately. Riding is fast as heck and allows you to still do a bunch of interactions (talking, harvesting) on horseback.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
This game feels insanely boring and slow to me. I guess it somewhat makes sense, I got sick of HM and only played RF. Felt Stardew was alright.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Zesty posted:

I've died outside and I've just been teleported back to my home. I don't think my entire day was reset.

Same.

Bug(?): When quests add their requirements to the quest tab on a crafting area, you can craft parts from higher tiers than you should be able. I had the first smelters churning out steel for a while from this.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I'm impressed by their swift bug fixes. So far there's been a hotfix per day.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Unless it's been fixed in today's patch, the recycler is bugged too. When you pick an item to recycle, you choose how many of that item to recycle, but the game doesn't actually check how many you have. So you can make a good sword, put it in the recycler and select 10 pieces, and you'll get back 5-6 times more materials than you used.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It absolutely wasn't clear to me until now that I have to buy my expanded inventory right from inside my inventory.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Inventory management is so much nicer now than it was in the earlier builds; that Sort All button is a godsend.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I have a bunch of tiny chests on my homestead to hold all my crap. I hope that situation improves.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Zesty posted:

It absolutely wasn't clear to me until now that I have to buy my expanded inventory right from inside my inventory.

This is part of what makes the game clearly "unfinished". The major content is there, but there are tons of things that lack explanation and tutorials, even just a simple pop-up explaining things.

For example, I constructed a stable and bought a horse. When I bought it, I found it odd that the game didn't let me name it, so for a long time I just had a horse named Horse. When I was picking it up one morning, I by accident noticed that you can interact with the stables if you face the metal bars in the back. Where you can name the horse. And feed it. Because the horse apparently needs to be fed, despite having gone weeks without it (I just assumed it grazed or something). I have no idea what that does, but it might tie into the loyalty rating of the horse, which... I also have no idea what does. Also I can train the horse, but at least those stats are self explanatory. Maybe the loyalty rating improves training, but training was so quick I finished it long before the loyalty meter went above 50%. A tutorial here would be nice.

Also, what does "resilience" which you get on some gear and from befriending Sam do? The game doesn't say, and the stat isn't even listed on your character screen. For now I'm just assuming they copied the WoW term and it does... whatever resilience does in WoW now, I haven't played it in years.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jan 19, 2019

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

My uneducated guess, and not actually having played the game, would be that it's for resistance against poisons or something. Wasn't resilience in WoW to reduce enemy crit chance on you?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I can't find anything that corroborates this, but when putting an item in your house for the stat bonus only one of the item counts? I made like 10 stone tables and I did not get +70 Stamina. But I noticed some items let you double up, and other items gave you like the full bonus for one, and only a few extra points for an additional. I can't pin down the mechanics and it's bugging me.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

I can't find anything that corroborates this, but when putting an item in your house for the stat bonus only one of the item counts? I made like 10 stone tables and I did not get +70 Stamina. But I noticed some items let you double up, and other items gave you like the full bonus for one, and only a few extra points for an additional. I can't pin down the mechanics and it's bugging me.

They stack up to a cap based on house level. You can check the paper next to the door and it will tell you the current and cap.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yikes, I need to make 3 wind generators, and they need a poo poo ton of aluminum. And the electric furnaces make it so slowly.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

Multiples definitely count, they just have a cap based on house level. The first level house is +30+50 iirc which means 7*4 = 28 + 20 from builder's license and you're pretty much there. I also have 7 bookcases for the +health as well

HarmB fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 20, 2019

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Are there solid ways of making Gol fast, aside from selling stone stools at +100% market value days?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Higgins decided to taunt me at some point by sending me a picture of... him eating dicks?

fappenmeister posted:

Are there solid ways of making Gol fast, aside from selling stone stools at +100% market value days?

If you don't mind sleeping a bunch you can upgrade the wood farm to get more wood to make more money to upgrade the wood farm.

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 20, 2019

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
So the present I made for the Day of the Bright Sun celebration got me 10 rep with everyone! Then the I did the festival itself and I think a holiday like this is gonna build the opposite of good will among the community. Also I found out you can plain rear end challenge Huggins to a fist fight so that was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Caidin posted:

So the present I made for the Day of the Bright Sun celebration got me 10 rep with everyone! Then the I did the festival itself and I think a holiday like this is gonna build the opposite of good will among the community. Also I found out you can plain rear end challenge Huggins to a fist fight so that was great.

In the first round of the martial arts tournament I got paired up with Higgins and it was the most anticipation I'd felt about video game combat in a long while