Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ya I’m confused I didn’t say anything specifically that said TF3 was cancelled, just hella speculation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

s.i.r.e. posted:

The Xbone launch was a massive wet fart though. lol

They literally said "This is what we've been making in lieu of TF3."

Source? I haven't read that.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gunder posted:

Source? I haven't read that.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-04-respawn-explains-apex-legends-surprise-release-and-why-there-are-no-titans

quote:

"Our desire is to be completely open and transparent with our player base, and part of that expands to how we talk about problems, and we understand this game is gonna have a sceptical audience," McCoy told me.

"There are some people who think there are too many battle royale games or it's a fad, the world thinks we're making Titanfall 3 and we're not - this is what we're making.

"To try and convince a sceptical audience for months with trailers and hands-on articles, we're just like 'let the game speak for itself' - it's the most powerful antidote to potential problems.

"We're doing a free to play game, with essentially loot boxes, after we were bought by EA, and it's not Titanfall 3. It's the perfect recipe for a marketing plan to go awry, so why have that - let's just ship the game and let players play."

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Titanfall 2 should have been packaged with this like Save the World in Fortnite, except also free, so it could have had a second chance to thrive and if it did well enough, they could cross-pollinate wallrunning or titans into BR gradually.

But they just made everyone mad instead.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Did they say what engine Apex is running on?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

They literally said "This is what we've been making in lieu of TF3."

Just had this discuss with my brother, who had the same interpretation, even though when you read the whole quote they're literally saying they're not making TF3. Yet he's looking at me like I'm the crazy one.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

drat. Well I guess that's that then. Maybe they'll make a TF3 one day.

Edit: The article makes it sound like they could mean that Titanfall 3 might be made one day, just not this week.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Why come out and say that you made this instead of Titanfall 3.

Like you’re just making people mad this way. Well, ‘gamers’ will be mad regardless, but to be like, “Hey, instead of the thing you’re asking for, here’s ANOTHER Battle Royale game with loot boxes and is f2p. Enjoy it before everyone goes back to Fortnite/PUBG/Blackout!”

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Beans posted:

Did they say what engine Apex is running on?

Source.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gunder posted:

drat. Well I guess that's that then. Maybe they'll make a TF3 one day.

Edit: The article makes it sound like they could mean that Titanfall 3 might be made one day, just not this week.

If (when) this tanks, and Respawn is gasping for funds EA is going to gut Respawn of talent and the TF IP will be shelved indefinitely.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

trash person posted:

Why come out and say that you made this instead of Titanfall 3.

Like you’re just making people mad this way. Well, ‘gamers’ will be mad regardless, but to be like, “Hey, instead of the thing you’re asking for, here’s ANOTHER Battle Royale game with loot boxes and is f2p. Enjoy it before everyone goes back to Fortnite/PUBG/Blackout!”

Probably the least stupid part of it tbh. Because if they didn't, it'd blow up in their face later when it turns out people have been waiting for nothing and Respawn was playing coy the whole time.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Argas posted:

Probably the least stupid part of it tbh. Because if they didn't, it'd blow up in their face later when it turns out people have been waiting for nothing and Respawn was playing coy the whole time.

Yeah I guess. It just seems weird to mar the launch of your game by bringing it up now

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I have a hard time believing they would specifically set this game in the Titanfall universe if they intended to drop the main franchise entirely. TF3 being put on the backburner until next gen does seem plausible, though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
This is even funnier than the Pats holding the Rams to 3 points in the Super Bowl.

RIP Respawn. At least you got paid.

edit: I'd like to see a Titanfall 3 but that ain't happening.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 5, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

trash person posted:

Yeah I guess. It just seems weird to mar the launch of your game by bringing it up now

It's the least bad option basically.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luDmv85AFCg

:smith:

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

This game is really fun. Smooth controls. Classes feel really different.

Maybe instead of judging it for what its not, judge it for what it is?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

s.i.r.e. posted:

When you can't combo your slide into a wallrun/double jump and keep going fast it doesn't really matter.

yeah, I pretty much agree, trying to be optimistic but

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

sure okay posted:

Another FPS Battle Royale without the movement system that made Titanfall 2 special?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I actually had fun in a BR game so that's special(for me). But no TF3 is a bummer. No doubt I'd prefer that over this game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sure okay posted:

I think everyone is, there's no problem switching up genres, Mario's done sports games and RPGs, but when all of the elements of your new title is just lesser elements from other games and your own game what's the point?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

sure okay posted:

This game is really fun. Smooth controls. Classes feel really different.

Yes, another cookie cutter FPS where you hold shift and press W and run around like an idiot. I am bored of standard COD style shooters and I don't play them anymore.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Why don't you judge this shallow, lootbox-infused, soulless cash grab for what it is instead of what it isn't, did you ever think of that?"

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Lemming posted:

Yes, another cookie cutter FPS where you hold shift and press W and run around like an idiot. I am bored of standard COD style shooters and I don't play them anymore.

Idk if you know this but Respawn are literally the guys who invented cod. Titanfall is just sci-fi cod.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Yeah like when I first heard respawn battle royale I had assume it would have the Titanfall 2 movement system but it doesn’t even have that

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hey so we made a new Titanfall game. It doesn't have titans and it doesn't have wall running or any of the good movement but it does have lootboxes! Hey wait, don't you know not to judge a book by its cover!?!?!?!?!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
When I thought this would be a fun diversion until TF3 I was stoked, but if there's no TF3 then gently caress this noise... :smith:

Stan Taylor posted:

Idk if you know this but Respawn are literally the guys who invented cod. Titanfall is just sci-fi cod.

...with giant robots. You kind of forgot that critical bit of flavor.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stan Taylor posted:

I don't know how to explain more clearly that the good parts that made Titanfall worth playing was the incredibly awesome locomotion mechanics, not the shooting, and if you remove the good movement and are left with just the shooting then it is just another COD style shooter which I find incredibly boring.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How long does everyone thing this will last? I'll give it two months before it's barren.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

"Why don't you judge this shallow, lootbox-infused, soulless cash grab for what it is instead of what it isn't, did you ever think of that?"

Kai Tave posted:

Hey so we made a new Titanfall game. It doesn't have titans and it doesn't have wall running or any of the good movement but it does have lootboxes! Hey wait, don't you know not to judge a book by its cover!?!?!?!?!

Can you explain why entirely cosmetic loot boxes being used to fund a free game is bad? Also, do you actually have reasons why you think this game is a 'shallow, soulless cash grab' other than that it isn't Titanfall 3?

Some of you are really coming off as children having meltdowns over this.

s.i.r.e. posted:

How long does everyone thing this will last? I'll give it two months before it's barren.

It's free so if a few big streamers stick around the game will stay pretty healthy imo. It is probably the best option on the market right now if you want to play a not-fortnite BR game.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It will last a while because it seems pretty good.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

s.i.r.e. posted:

Ironically predicting this is a huge success and we definitely never get TF3. :crossarms:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

s.i.r.e. posted:

Somewhere in between Lawbreakers and Radical Heights.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It looks like it has pretty good movement? Compared to literally any other comparable game anyway.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
I'm picturing instead of a generic circle closing in, there are natural points of interest around broken down Titans, parts and keys around the map, and the midgame isn't just running to a set point but instead multiple squads grouping to take down those big threats, having risk/reward skirmishes among each other. Might take some balancing, but they could have done a bit of that if they'd had a beta or something instead of a bunch of influencers testing their launch build for a few weeks.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

I haven't played it yet, kind of reserving my judgement until I get home and play it but writing seems to be on the wall from everyone I know that has played it.

That said I'd say one month.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

It looks like it has pretty good movement? Compared to literally any other comparable game anyway.

Well, the people here who are fans of Titanfall are comparing the movement in the game made by the Titanfall developers to their last game, Titanfall 2, and in comparison to that it looks like poo poo.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
You guys are severely underestimating the pull of a game like this being free. The only other BR game worth a drat that is free is Fortnite... so yeah.

Also this game seems actually good, so there is that.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Respawn seems to have a real history of not really understanding hype? When Titanfall 2 was coming out they wanted to emphasize the new modes and didn't have Attrition in the playtest. The community was very desperate to know that game mode was coming back and there were a few misunderstandings and weirdly worded phrases like how their zone control mode would be an evolution on Attrition, and nobody clarifying due to some weird marketing strategy. Now we have Apex and misunderstandings from the start with streamer leaks, unsure what exactly is in their production pipeline and rumors on wanting to have a Titanfall sequel on Frostbite instead of Source.

Feels like the people in charge of their media team are ignorant of the things their community wants. And/Or us fans are really desperate to grasp at straws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

panda clue posted:

Can you explain why entirely cosmetic loot boxes being used to fund a free game is bad? Also, do you actually have reasons why you think this game is a 'shallow, soulless cash grab' other than that it isn't Titanfall 3?

Because lootboxes are predatory tactics to get people with gambling problems to spend shitloads. Just make cosmetics purchasable for a good price and you don't have an issue. Rewarding to fake currencies you can buy with real money to drop on RNG rewards that are filled with garbage you never want (poses and voice clips, what fun!) is straight up gambling.