Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Squalid posted:

When I see the absolutely nonsensical debate over brexit I am reminded of this conversation. That maybe it is driven by a desire to reassert the fading Imperial glory, and a refusal to accept Britain's relegation to a bit player in history. I just hope people can learn their lesson and come to their senses without too much self inflicted injury.
I have a pet theory - old people have always complained about how things are changing and nothing is as good as the good old days and resent the fact that time has passed them by. The problem in the current moment is the size of the baby boom. We've never had such a large cohort of people turn old and cranky and bitter at the same time before. Brexit is a typical Old Person Shitfit, made unusually powerful by the fact that there's currently such a huge number of old people (same thing is happening in the USA w/Trump). This is their one last chance to spit back at a world that is increasingly moving past them, and alas because of the demographic bulge, they got their wish. Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

Unironically put your cis white het male privilege aside for a moment and think about what happened in 2015, and why some minority groups might find that more threatening than you do.

people who actually think the things you're pretending to think don't say it like this

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Raskolnikov38 posted:

regardless the implication is that british jews supported leave because of anti-muslim feelings correct?

Yeah to stop the dicking about that literally is the case, but you've rhetorically reversed it. British and European Jews are concerned about the anti-jewish feelings from migrants, not exclusively islamic migrants btw, and from the far-right backlash to the migration crisis.

Basically the two groups of shitheads that hate jews are neo-nazis and islamists, after 2015 the threat of islamists suddenly and significantly grew, in 2016 the nationalist neo-nazi response suddenly and significantly grew to become a new threat, and the EU is functionally fostering both groups because it will foster anything as long as its focused on social issues instead of attacking neoliberalism.

Honestly wherever you stand on the political spectrum, unless you are a Guardian writer I guess, the sudden reversal of british jews opinion of the EU is not an illogical thing.

Vitamin P has issued a correction as of 00:46 on Feb 5, 2019

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Der Meister posted:

somebody explain to me for the fifth time why corbyn doesn’t just outright say he opposes brexit...? something another a referendum and will of the people despite the referendum being a bare majority and fatally flawed. ijdfgi

Have a read of all that stuff upthread about self-pity and exceptionalism.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah to stop the dicking about that literally is the case, but you've rhetorically reversed it. British and European Jews are concerned about the anti-jewish feelings from migrants, not exclusively islamic migrants btw, and from the far-right backlash to the migration crisis.

Basically the two groups of shitheads that hate jews are neo-nazis and islamists, after 2015 the threat of islamists suddenly and significantly grew, in 2016 the nationalist neo-nazi response suddenly and significantly grew to become a new threat, and the EU is functionally fostering both groups because it will foster anything as long as its focused on social issues instead of attacking neoliberalism.

Honestly wherever you stand on the political spectrum, unless you are a Guardian writer I guess, the sudden reversal of british jews regarding the EU is not an illogical thing.

goddamm you're an idiot

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the growing threat of islamists

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

FMguru posted:

I have a pet theory - old people have always complained about how things are changing and nothing is as good as the good old days and resent the fact that time has passed them by. The problem in the current moment is the size of the baby boom. We've never had such a large cohort of people turn old and cranky and bitter at the same time before. Brexit is a typical Old Person Shitfit, made unusually powerful by the fact that there's currently such a huge number of old people (same thing is happening in the USA w/Trump). This is their one last chance to spit back at a world that is increasingly moving past them, and alas because of the demographic bulge, they got their wish. Sigh.

also while society used to have children “act up” as adults as soon as they arrived at their teens, the average 16 year old has never been more educated and they’re all currently disenfranchised despite having the most vested interest in the direction of society

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Der Meister posted:

somebody explain to me for the fifth time why corbyn doesn’t just outright say he opposes brexit...? something another a referendum and will of the people despite the referendum being a bare majority and fatally flawed. ijdfgi

because he doesn't oppose brexit and the whole plan has always been to drag him there by pointing out that it's loving impossible

we've reached the bit where he himself is very clearly on board with no brexit > no deal and is more and more forward about this but he's now lagging behind public mood and, unfortunately, he doesn't give a gently caress about that

Willie Tomg posted:

people who actually think the things you're pretending to think don't say it like this

the piece of poo poo who defended cov students is telling the jewish guy how to be jewish, I'm shocked

e; it took me longer to write that post than it took for vitamin P to take off the mask, ignite it, and throw it on someone's lawn. nice.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
The Brits are pretty bad at this politic thing

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Vapor Moon posted:

The Brits are pretty bad at this politic thing

we still got a queen lol

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Al! posted:

luckily the right wing has never threatened judai*a cartoon cane hooks me out of the Submit Post field to everyone's general relief*

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jel Shaker posted:

I think it’s been noted that the geographic picture of brexit is a bit skewed though, like while the north had more areas voting 50%+ for brexit, it was the south east that provided the most votes by volume

should I pull up a population density map to weigh this post or what

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Spangly A posted:

the piece of poo poo who defended cov students is telling the jewish guy how to be jewish, I'm shocked

e; it took me longer to write that post than it took for vitamin P to take off the mask, ignite it, and throw it on someone's lawn. nice.

I'm not even slightly telling jewish people how to be jewish, I'm just taking seriously that european jews are leaving their homes either for israel or for rural areas and considering why british jews apparently strangely voted to leave the EU.

I wear no mask online my friend, I am more than open to arguments telling me why I'm a dumb twat, although if the arguments begin and end with 'you're a dumb twat' thats obviously just silliness. And unironically I take the protection of multiculturalism and meaningful religious freedom more seriously than you do.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/bbcarchive/status/1092120538259038209

lol

at least the guy in 100% Tweed Overload was actually in the war and not just bullshit boomer reminiscences

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Vitamin P posted:

I'm not even slightly telling jewish people how to be jewish, I'm just taking seriously that european jews are leaving their homes either for israel or for rural areas and considering why british jews apparently strangely voted to leave the EU.

I wear no mask online my friend, I am more than open to arguments telling me why I'm a dumb twat, although if the arguments begin and end with 'you're a dumb twat' thats obviously just silliness. And unironically I take the protection of multiculturalism and meaningful religious freedom more seriously than you do.

gently caress off you idiot

if anyone is actually wondering about that graph, it's probably because a lot of british jews, just like a lot of other british people, are conservative

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcarchive/status/1092120538259038209

lol

at least the guy in 100% Tweed Overload was actually in the war and not just bullshit boomer reminiscences

lol this is the essence of brexit.

My favorite is the guy at 0:35:

"And I fink, you know, we're an island on our own, you know, and let's face it. We once ruled the world didn't we? You know, and now we're just being part of a community. I don't agree with it at all."

Can't very well have England being part of a community now can we.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Coohoolin posted:

gently caress off you idiot

if anyone is actually wondering about that graph, it's probably because a lot of british jews, just like a lot of other british people, are conservative

hurf durf yeah probably, events are a figment shared experience is a spook

stupid twat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Vitamin P posted:

lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Squalid posted:

lol this is the essence of brexit.

My favorite is the guy at 0:35:

"And I fink, you know, we're an island on our own, you know, and let's face it. We once ruled the world didn't we? You know, and now we're just being part of a community. I don't agree with it at all."

Can't very well have England being part of a community now can we.

It's like how in WWII the British knew they were going to get pretty much cucked by the USA and Soviet Union after WWII.

Know you have all these Leave loser imaging that Brexit will somehow rebuild the noble british empire.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Squalid posted:

I'm reminded of something a Yorkie coworker once told me several years ago. He was looking a bit morose, and when I asked him what was on his mind he said "England doesn't have any action heroes anymore." I thought this was funny because his nickname was The Transporter for his resemblance to Jason Statham. It seemed to me like he was troubled by long term decline of UK cultural, economic, and military global dominance, and what that implied about his own place in the world and identity as an Englishman.

When I see the absolutely nonsensical debate over brexit I am reminded of this conversation. That maybe it is driven by a desire to reassert the fading Imperial glory, and a refusal to accept Britain's relegation to a bit player in history. I just hope people can learn their lesson and come to their senses without too much self inflicted injury.

That scene in the first Transporter movie where topless Jason Statham slides around the floor of a garage lubed up in crude oil, while shooting and punching and kicking all the hapless evil Eurogoon henchmen is peak Brexit.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

etalian posted:

It's like how in WWII the British knew they were going to get pretty much cucked by the USA and Soviet Union after WWII.

Know you have all these Leave loser imaging that Brexit will somehow rebuild the noble british empire.
Sunless Skies is a documentary about Britain's adamant refusal to play nice with others.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Elevator Screamer posted:

That scene in the first Transporter movie where topless Jason Statham slides around the floor of a garage lubed up in crude oil, while shooting and punching and kicking all the hapless evil Eurogoon henchmen is peak Brexit.

makes me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgDoPvr3VT4

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

Sunless Skies is a documentary about Britain's adamant refusal to play nice with others.

lol

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Jose posted:

us being in the EU had absolutely nothing to do with austerity being policy here. we're not in the euro

lol the uk really does want to be worse than america

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Scottish independence to become a progressive EU country in line with the democratic will of the Scotchland people. NI reunites with the rest of Ireland in line with the democratic will of the Norn Irish people. England remains alone eating tripe and watching 50 channels of Keeping Up Appearances and Dad's Army repeats forever, secure and proud in their independence as they wrestle pigs in a mud pit for control of the last sovereign potato.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Elevator Screamer posted:

Scottish independence to become a progressive EU country in line with the democratic will of the Scotchland people. NI reunites with the rest of Ireland in line with the democratic will of the Norn Irish people. England remains alone eating tripe and watching 50 channels of Keeping Up Appearances and Dad's Army repeats forever, secure and proud in their independence as they wrestle pigs in a mud pit for control of the last sovereign potato.

Scotland creates a Black Douglas clone and unleashes it on the now weakened British.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

looking forward to the Royal Navy resuming the ancient policy of impressment to deal with shortages after the brexit

hopefully the chavs are well enough fed to outrun the impressment gangs this time around
you guys still give lashes for sodomy or is it just leering at your betters that's punishable?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Vitamin P posted:

Honestly wherever you stand on the political spectrum, unless you are a Guardian writer I guess, the sudden reversal of british jews opinion of the EU is not an illogical thing.

Jexit

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

since it looks like a bunch of london voted remain it should split off from the uk and become cloudy singapore

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vitamin P posted:

Lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
So Brexit is about England's inability to come to terms with its decline.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

kinda like how boomers in the us never got over losing vietnam

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

100%. There is far too many people who think it's still 1911 and the UK is a world power with an Empire spanning most of the globe rather than a small barely second tier power with an aircraft carrier without any planes.

Most of them weren't even alive when India became independent but hey, who lets reality get in the way?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
im sure vitamin ps thoughtful consideration of muslim immigration in europe and the terrors of encroaching shariah in london are compassionately based in concern for jewish people and not simple gammon-brained racism

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well somebody had to win in your civil wars

I don’t believe my country has ever had a civil war.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ayn Randi posted:

im sure vitamin ps thoughtful consideration of muslim immigration in europe and the terrors of encroaching shariah in london are compassionately based in concern for jewish people and not simple gammon-brained racism

jews are leaving their homes for fascist ethnostates. maybe we could learn something from that phenomenon, says the boy who is not attempting to steer the conversation in any one direction or other.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
finally. there's a political party in post-EU eurospace willing to take a stand on ethnic inclusiveness and its--oh. oh gently caress no. oh GOD FUCKIN NO brb, panic attack

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Al! posted:

this is what the English actually believe

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Relevant Tangent posted:

this is what the English actually believe

this was actual material produced and distributed by the pro-leave campaign during the referendum.

and this

and this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

JFairfax posted:

this was actual material produced and distributed by the pro-leave campaign during the referendum.

and this

Yowsers that's a good infographic

Edit: Even there being more male than female figures in the little bubble coming over *kisses fingers like an Italian chef*