Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Maroon 5 is just American Coldplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

:magical: Perfect description.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

He did a cover of Purple rain that's up on YouTube and it owns. Completely eclipses any Maroon 5 stuff.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Thanks god someone finally covered Purple Rain, that obscure gem which is utterly horrific in its original version and therefore demands superior modern covers by true artists such as Maroon 5

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

gently caress Your Website posted:

Thanks god someone finally covered Purple Rain, that obscure gem which is utterly horrific in its original version and therefore demands superior modern covers by true artists such as Maroon 5

Awww yeah, that's front-of-house expertise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N3aZmUcbQ0

edit: gently caress me, that's a poo poo version of the song.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 4, 2019

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Pretty good - I'd describe them as "What a band synthesized in a lab by Clear Channel Communications would sound like"

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In a little bit of stupidly awesome music poo poo (which I've probably posted in the previous version of this thread), let's all make sure we remember how Prince absolutely made everyone cream their pants with his own fan-drat-tastic take on the solo of a certain George Harrison-penned ditty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wark Say posted:

In a little bit of stupidly awesome music poo poo (which I've probably posted in the previous version of this thread), let's all make sure we remember how Prince absolutely made everyone cream their pants with his own fan-drat-tastic take on the solo of a certain George Harrison-penned ditty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y

Red hats are not a good look, even in the past.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

prefect posted:

Prince could play a JEM and not look dumb imo

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Which is weird, because Coldplay is just Enya for Dudes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

prefect posted:

Then how the hell is he gonna compliment that dope red shirt?

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

prefect posted:

Look he just got back from a Linux conference

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

stillvisions posted:

Pretty good - I'd describe them as "What a band synthesized in a lab by Clear Channel Communications would sound like"

Maroon 5 is just American "What a band synthesized in a lab by Clear Channel Communications would sound like"

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's dentist office music

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpEzR1XSzEQ

Although Coldplay was actually good like 15 years ago whereas Maroon 5 never was

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Everything about this. Great tone, too.

Malaria posted:

Prince could play a JEM and not look dumb imo
I was watching the game last night and I was very shocked and surprised to see that reissue 30th Anniversary JEM at the very end of the half-time show. It got me thinking about if there is any connection between Levine and Vai (i.e. is Levine from NJ? Do they know each other from the business or what?) Because that's a weird choice of guitar but I think it would be pretty USA if Vai got to perform at a superbowl. He's just about peak America Guitar.

All that nonsense aside, I agree because Prince did anything and everything and he was so baller it was pretty much always, on balance, cool.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I gotta give Adam Levine credit on one thing. I've never heard anyone else's natural singing voice sound so autotuned. Dude sounds like a robot.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

I gotta give Adam Levine credit on one thing. I've never heard anyone else's natural singing voice sound so autotuned. Dude sounds like a robot.

Yeah, chances of live audio being used at the Superbowl hover pretty close to 0

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

Coldplay has one really good album though!

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

OutOfPrint posted:

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic or not, but live autotune is very much a thing they can do now. And pretty convincingly too.

A lot of times they will also pre-record the live show earlier in the day/week in the live environment and then play it back (auto tuned and perfected) during the performance so it actually sounds as live and authentic as they can make it. They can even side chain a noise gate to the performer’s mic during the show so if the performer stops singing (the actual “live“ performance you don’t actually hear) into the microphone, the recording will mute accordingly to avoid any Milli Vanilli moments.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 5, 2019

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

I was watching the game last night and I was very shocked and surprised to see that reissue 30th Anniversary JEM at the very end of the half-time show. It got me thinking about if there is any connection between Levine and Vai (i.e. is Levine from NJ? Do they know each other from the business or what?) Because that's a weird choice of guitar but I think it would be pretty USA if Vai got to perform at a superbowl. He's just about peak America Guitar.

pretty sure some assistant or set dresser just went to a guitar shop nearby and found the most gaudy thing on the racks

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah, chances of live audio being used at the Superbowl hover pretty close to 0

i haven't watched it in years, but snl is probably the only tv show left where musicians are actually performing because holy christ there's no way their mixing can be so consistently terrible if it's pre-recorded

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 5, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/DanBassini/status/1092514977733402624

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

hahahahhaa

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
We don't brand shame here.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

We don't brand shame here.
FAKE NEWS

The Muppets On PCP posted:

pretty sure some assistant or set dresser just went to a guitar shop nearby and found the most gaudy thing on the racks
Pretty sure the 30th Anniversary reissue JEMs have been out of stock and they cost $3.5k so perhaps this theory is somewhat less than plausible.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 5, 2019

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

former glory posted:

He did a cover of Purple rain that's up on YouTube and it owns. Completely eclipses any Maroon 5 stuff.

the best prince cover is foo fighters doing darling nikki

that's not their best cover though, that goes to stairway to heaven

https://youtu.be/0z6oS1S_0zk

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
The best Prince cover is and will always be LMLYP by Ween.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Coldplay has one really good album though!
Parachutes or AROBTTH? :raise:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wark Say posted:

Those 2 and X&Y are all solid IMO. After that is where they lost me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Wark Say posted:

‘choootes

Some really nice guitar on that album

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Please don't normalise Coldplay as being acceptable ITT.

Fun on topic fact - I once stayed in a suite above a studio just after Coldplay were in recording demos for what would become X&Y. The guys wouldn't tell us which room Gwyneth and Chris stayed in because they (correctly) assumed we would get weird about it. We made it weird anyway, but appreciated their discretion.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Imagine stealing content from Rigs Of Dad for clout.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

The Muppets On PCP posted:

That's assuming the BC Rich models were all sold out.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

A fluorescent pink warlock would have been cooler

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
It's Maroon 5 playing the Super Bowl halftime show, literally nothing could make that cool.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

holy

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:barf:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

take off the packers logo and chop off $125 and i am sold

god that things hideous :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That's just a lovely spraypaint job, isn't it?

Also why did they spraypaint over the pickups and the pickup switch? What the gently caress