Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

Count is the second best wingman after Pixy.

I think Count's got a pretty decent arc over the course of 7, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
What are overall the best Plane Parts to use in Campaign? None of them really make much sense to me, and being limited to 8 kinda sucks. The system is a bit curmudgeonly to use, so what should I lean on for all my aircraft, especially stuff like the Su-57, F22...

Any parts that people consider just end-all be-all? I have a lot of love for increased missile range but I think other things just have no effect like faster missile speed.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Mig 31 why can't I quit you?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Mig 31 why can't I quit you?

I've always loved that plane, it's so goddamn fast. Even if other planes are better overall, it just feels really good to get around the map so quickly.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

3 posted:

It's kind of set up in an earlier mission (Long Day I think?), with Full Band talking about how he just needs to talk to the right guy to get operational details way past his clearance from the base computers and Bandog tells him to shut his trap. He just couldn't take a hint.

It's in the same mission. Full Band talks about it in earlier missions, getting his first strike, but Bandog outright says in this one "you're on your second strike, there will not be a third."

Full Band then keeps going on about it and Bandog tries to let him get out one last time by hinting "I don't think you know what you're saying, Full Band." Full Band then announces Intel is a matter of life and death, and Bandog agrees, sealing his fate.

When everyone forms up on Trigger, Bandog specifically makes sure he knows what one Full Band is, then "forgets" to mark him as friendly for Count.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So since AC7 is a lead in to Ace Combat 3 apparently I started checking out the wiki for AC3 and now I discover that Ace Combat is in the same loving timeline as Galaga, Dig-Dug, Mr. Driller, and goddamn Ridge Racer. What the gently caress

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

3 posted:

Count pulling off his "magic trick" to drop the Arsenal Bird's shields while the Princess is busy smashing the power nodes in mission 19 was one of his best moments.

having an open channel radio is a level of power typically reserved only for the protagonist

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
And why do all the Plane Parts have levels but they can't be leveled up?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lunethex posted:

And why do all the Plane Parts have levels but they can't be leveled up?

The multiplayer parts have levels, iirc.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

3 posted:

Count pulling off his "magic trick" to drop the Arsenal Bird's shields while the Princess is busy smashing the power nodes in mission 19 was one of his best moments.

Lmao all this time I was wondering how he did that. I'm a confirmed dummy.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry if already posted but this story summary is pretty funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgxCaHFKHCw

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

So since AC7 is a lead in to Ace Combat 3 apparently I started checking out the wiki for AC3 and now I discover that Ace Combat is in the same loving timeline as Galaga, Dig-Dug, Mr. Driller, and goddamn Ridge Racer. What the gently caress

Makes sense to me, and I hope we get a Galaga crossover stage so when the space lobster steals my SU-37 I can shoot it and fly two of them at once.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Did anyone else get annoyed at the whole thing where the Eruseans using drones disguised as civilian container transports wasn’t looked at as a big deal? I get Strangereal is a fictional world but that kind of thing has been pretty much always looked down on as a pretty major war crime but for some reason the Eruseans are portrayed as having pretty good PR over the whole thing.

Could be, and it's probably a stretch, but it may have been a visual reference to Iran's military, as they are extremely fond of using civilian spec trucks and CONEX containers as SAM/ASM launchers and poo poo. Case in point, the chasis they put their Pantsir S1's on.

re: music chat
I know it's lame to like AC6, but Liberation of Gracemeria is probably my favorite song in the series, though the song from the first mission in 7 is really good. Also the track Horizon from AC:AH is really good also. I turned it into a loading screen song for Strike Fighters 2 once by layering audio from dogfights in 'nam over it, unfortunately it's lost to the ages :(

I played MP last night and I really hated it. I was in my level 1 F-16 and had me going against guys in Raptors and Terminators. No consideration for the tier of aircraft you're using is a bad look imho, but then again I don't think I've ever played multi-player in an Ace Combat and probably won't ever do it again, unless they add in a co-op mode or something.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 4, 2019

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

turn off the TV posted:

The multiplayer parts have levels, iirc.
Unfortunately, you can't use the better multiplayer parts in campaign either. And vice-versa. :( The multiplayer stuff generally starts at level 2 and gets higher, while campaign stuff is level 1, and that's it.

It's a bit of a odd decision to be honest. I can see why regenerating health and a all-mobility buff part from campaign would unbalance MP, but the MP buffs are actually better than the campaign parts.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Julius CSAR posted:

I played MP last night and I really hated it. I was in my level 1 F-16 and had me going against guys in Raptors and Terminators. No consideration for the tier of aircraft you're using is a bad look imho, but then again I don't think I've ever played multi-player in an Ace Combat and probably won't ever do it again, unless they add in a co-op mode or something.

There is consideration for how good your loadout is, but as far as I can tell the game only has a lobby system so it doesn't really matter.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

turn off the TV posted:

There is consideration for how good your loadout is, but as far as I can tell the game only has a lobby system so it doesn't really matter.

gross

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
You get more points for shooting down fancier jets, when I splash an f-22 from a MiG-21 I get a lot more points than he gets for tagging me

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

lobbies can have cost limits which keep out the big late game jets if you want to fly around in an F-14 or whatever

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I feel like even with restrictions I was still somehow outgunned, maybe for to upgrade parts? I flew a multiplayer March to grab a few extra credits before a near endgame mission to afford the Su-57. It had a limit of 2000 and no special weapons. So I picked my MiG-29. Felt like I was being chased by QAAMs, I did horrible

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Julius CSAR posted:

re: music chat
I know it's lame to like AC6, but Liberation of Gracemeria is probably my favorite song in the series, though the song from the first mission in 7 is really good. Also the track Horizon from AC:AH is really good also. I turned it into a loading screen song for Strike Fighters 2 once by layering audio from dogfights in 'nam over it, unfortunately it's lost to the ages :(

Liberation of Gracemeria is easily my third favorite AC song after Zero and Unsung War. It's so good.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I feel like even with restrictions I was still somehow outgunned, maybe for to upgrade parts? I flew a multiplayer March to grab a few extra credits before a near endgame mission to afford the Su-57. It had a limit of 2000 and no special weapons. So I picked my MiG-29. Felt like I was being chased by QAAMs, I did horrible

I got the impression that a low tier jet with a bunch of the high end, multilayer specific upgrades would probably be significantly better than than a vanilla mid to high tier one.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

turn off the TV posted:

I got the impression that a low tier jet with a bunch of the high end, multilayer specific upgrades would probably be significantly better than than a vanilla mid to high tier one.

I guess I’ll just have to unlock lots of upgrades then go kill Flankers with my Phantom. Speaking of, the “Nicknames” section is pretty cool and one of the ones you get with the F-4 is “No Plans To Retire” which pretty 😎

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Part of my experience with multiplayer is learning to prioritize defending yourself over trying to kill the other guy. Hits count, and you're more likely to get a few hits in Deathmatch than actually confirm kills. That's why I started using an F-15C with its default special weapon: it can still score a hit on a miss. Take a few targets of opportunity, then just try and keep the other dudes from hitting you by being the least appealing target (don't know what the secret sauce is here yet, but dodging and weaving through clouds/close to the ground has worked pretty well so far).

In team, the hits idea still holds, but you've got more opportunities to kill if someone else has people chasing him. I won a 2v2 with an F-15C and an SU-47 vs two X-02S by being obnoxiously slippery and keeping the Wyvern's busy chasing me while my buddy in the better plane picked them off. My score sucked, but the team still one.

On that note, I kinda wish dodging missiles granted points. Punish people for taking lovely shots, and reward people who are good at dodging.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

It's in the same mission. Full Band talks about it in earlier missions, getting his first strike, but Bandog outright says in this one "you're on your second strike, there will not be a third."

Full Band then keeps going on about it and Bandog tries to let him get out one last time by hinting "I don't think you know what you're saying, Full Band." Full Band then announces Intel is a matter of life and death, and Bandog agrees, sealing his fate.

When everyone forms up on Trigger, Bandog specifically makes sure he knows what one Full Band is, then "forgets" to mark him as friendly for Count.

Now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense. The problem was that is delivered pretty subtly when pretty much everything else in the game is delivered with a hammer to the face. So that whole bit went right over me at the time.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

The_E posted:

Nothing really silly, but in the one fleet attack mission of the game, defeating the big centerpieces of the russian fleet put out an ungodly amount of AAA that can only be defeated by going into ground attack mode and taking out individual guns (IIRC)

And by performing a Red Storm Rising-lite saturation attack. Also you couldn't fly above 100 or you would get your rear end shot down really quickly.

In keeping with the topic: get Kono to hire Harry Turtledove/John Schettler/John Birmingham to write the plot of Ace Combat 8 with time travel/alternate universe shenanigans.

Less with the topic: convince Koei to make me Warship Gunner 3.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

TerryLennox posted:

And by performing a Red Storm Rising-lite saturation attack. Also you couldn't fly above 100 or you would get your rear end shot down really quickly.

In keeping with the topic: get Kono to hire Harry Turtledove/John Schettler/John Birmingham to write the plot of Ace Combat 8 with time travel/alternate universe shenanigans.

Less with the topic: convince Koei to make me Warship Gunner 3.

Awww I want an Ace Combat game set in Strangereal’s 1960s

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Taintrunner posted:

Nagase is the Ridge Racer girl.

Now look up that name on the ACEopedia

Also MiG21 with all machinegun everything is amazing in MP. Buddy I played with could spot me at range just from the lines of tracers haphazardly spraying over the sky.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Paingod556 posted:

Also MiG21 with all machinegun everything is amazing in MP. Buddy I played with could spot me at range just from the lines of tracers haphazardly spraying over the sky.

I was thinking of doing a team action with a buddy where one of us packed an EML. One player would use missiles to make people bleed off speed with a high-g turn dodge, which would make it easy for the EML guy to splat ‘em.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dramicus posted:

Now that you mention it, it makes perfect sense. The problem was that is delivered pretty subtly when pretty much everything else in the game is delivered with a hammer to the face. So that whole bit went right over me at the time.

TBF there's a decent amount of this throughout the AC games, though I mostly remember 0's things. Heartbreak 1 and Huckebein, the masterminds of A World With No Boundaries, etc.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

The EML seems really good in multiplayer, but I suck so I don't actually know firsthand.

Also I still believe that a game with 50s - 70s planes would be dope as poo poo.

"oh my god it's the enemy superplane!"

(YF-16 or a MiG-25 that actually lived up to what the Americans thought it could do)

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

LostCosmonaut posted:

The EML seems really good in multiplayer, but I suck so I don't actually know firsthand.

Also I still believe that a game with 50s - 70s planes would be dope as poo poo.

"oh my god it's the enemy superplane!"

(YF-16 or a MiG-25 that actually lived up to what the Americans thought it could do)

Ye-152 and and F-108 Rapier

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Paingod556 posted:

She was also a flight attendant in AC4. I like to think that mission is what inspired her to join the Air Force.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

And Tyler Too! posted:

She was also a flight attendant in AC4. I like to think that mission is what inspired her to join the Air Force.

waaiiiiit.... she's the FA from the 747 mission?! :aaaaa:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

And Tyler Too! posted:

Other way around, she was in Scarface squadron in AC2 and then became a co-pilot with that airline after the Usean Continental War. Confusingly, even though her callsign was also Edge during the Usean coup, she is not the Kei Nagase/Edge from AC5 and AC7, nor is she the one from AC3. tl;dr there are a lot of Nagases in strangereal

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Julius CSAR posted:

waaiiiiit.... she's the FA from the 747 mission?! :aaaaa:

There’s three Nagase’s in Strangereal.

The first Nagase was a fighter pilot in Ace Combat 2, retired from service and became an airline pilot in Ace Combat 04 (she’s the first officer of Air Ixiom Flight 701, not a flight attendant).

The second Nagase is Kei Nagase from Ace Combat 5, who is AC2/04 Nagase’s cousin and shares her first name, Kei.

The third Nagase is Reiko Nagase, who is the cover girl for the Ridge Racer series, which is also quasi set in Strangereal. She is AC5 Nagase’s sister and also the cousin of AC2/04’s Nagase.

The Nagase clan is Ace Combat’s version of Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny from Pokemon.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

The first Nagase was a fighter pilot in Ace Combat 2, retired from service and became an airline pilot in Ace Combat 04 (she’s the first officer of Air Ixiom Flight 701, not a flight attendant).

The second Nagase is Kei Nagase from Ace Combat 5, who is AC2/04 Nagase’s cousin and shares her first name, Kei.

The third Nagase is Reiko Nagase, who is the cover girl for the Ridge Racer series, which is also quasi set in Strangereal. She is AC5 Nagase’s sister and also the cousin of AC2/04’s Nagase.

The Nagase clan is Ace Combat’s version of Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny from Pokemon.

loving awesome. Also because of this thread I now that the Ace Combat series is a prequel to my favorite videogame of all time, Galaga.

Like, holy loving poo poo.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

nine-gear crow posted:

There's another Kei Nagase who is a member of Ouroboros in AC3. Also in not-strangereal, there's a Nagase in the background of some cutscenes in Assault Horizon, and another one in the Ridgebacks in Infinty with the same callsign as the first two (Edge).

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

How mucu you wanna bet that Galaga is ALSO Belka's fault?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Argas posted:

TBF there's a decent amount of this throughout the AC games, though I mostly remember 0's things. Heartbreak 1 and Huckebein, the masterminds of A World With No Boundaries, etc.

There are a lot of little subtle touches in this game that I noticed. I watched through Sly Cooper Fan's play through on Youtube and he pointed out a few things I'd missed, and I spotted a few other things I'd missed.

The obvious one in a few missions where after blowing up certain stuff they turn out to be carrying Helios warheads.

In Mission 4, at a certain point in the mission an allied fighter starts following you really closely, and when you hit the missile button, a missile comes from off screen and hits Mother Goose One.

Again in Mission 4, when Gargoyle fires at the Space Elevator, they question the orders, and the IUN-PKU headquarters says "it's not our ship." That ship is Nagase's Pilgrim One mission, indicating that Osea probably didn't approve THAT trick. Why did they do it? Well, it was either to destroy the space elevator (gasp, a possibility where Osea WASN'T the allied guys who weren't being good?) or to take advantage of the drone's orders to intercept the shots- but they didn't care about collateral damage.

In Mission 5 Bandog asks High Roller if the bet is still valid if you crash on landing. Sure enough, if you crash, Bandog gloats about winning his bet.

Some of the Intel that Full Band's talking about in an earlier mission? The Osean reconnaissance squadron is checking out some ruins deep in Erusean airspace. Those were Stonehenge's ruins.

In Mission 9, there is no enemy radio banter once the drone fighters show up- because there are no enemy pilots.

Any time a container-launched drone appears in a cutscene, you can usually bet what company's logo is on the side of that container: North Osea Grunder Industries. Who is supplying this stuff to the Erusean radicals in the hopes of the war? Belka.

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Did you know... There’s three kind of Nagase’s in Strangereal.