Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm gonna make a ninja dodge tank this time, and you can't stop me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Hiya, playing EOV, my first EO game and I'm loving around 5F with 5 or more floating SP on all my chars so I'm here to ask for build advice. Running herbalist dragoon reaper pugilist masurao, planning to go 4 swords on the masurao. My team's all level 11, I have 4 points in armor pierce on the masurao because I hadn't looked up the damage numbers (really wish they were in game) maybe I should go up to 5 for more def down and eat the tp cost increase. Not sure whether to go for high ground or the double attack skill next. I could unlock one two punch on my pugilist but I can't tell if using that is better than just using the regular bind skills because of the chance to activate, considering getting 4 in the lightning fist too. I have 4 in paralyzing reap on my reaper and I guess I just get passives now? Unsure which ones though. I have gun mount on my dragoon, unsure whether to level that or lineguard.
think I'm set on the herbalist I just have to decide whether I wanna keep having 3tp heals or get line heal.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

DisDisDis posted:

I could unlock one two punch on my pugilist but I can't tell if using that is better than just using the regular bind skills because of the chance to activate,

At lower levels, the binding punches are better value. Once you get past level 5, it's, imo, better to spam One-Two unless you need a specific part bound.

DisDisDis posted:

maybe I should go up to 5 for more def down and eat the tp cost increase.

Do that. The extra 10% physical damage dealt is very much worth the extra TP; in terms of TP spent relative to damage dealt, spending 3 TP for, say, an extra 15% on a 150% damage skill is extremely worth it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Around 820 MB.

So thats around 8200 blocks, I assume?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Tired Moritz posted:

So thats around 8200 blocks, I assume?

Blocks are about 128 KB each, so closer to ~6560.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
oh phew, I got enough. Thanks.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Anybody know how much less damage you inflict with melee attack and skills on the back row?

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
I believe it has always been 50%. And since at least EOIII you also take 50% less damage from melee attacks on the backline.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Oh man this is out tomorrow!!! We need a new thread title I guess

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh yeah, so now that the games shipping to me, this is a good time to ask just what the heck party am i supposed to go for in this, i've never played an etrian odyssey game before and kinda just ordered nexus while drunk one night

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I know all the promo art for Nexus has the Hero all over it but I feel like I can't be bothered to actually use one. They seem too all-rounder for my tastes.

Current plan is Protector/Pugilist/Nightseeker//War Magus/Zodiac. I really hope Overexertion is still in the game because I'm looking forward to seeing how much damage an Overexerted Nightseeker can put out. :kheldragar:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I really hope Overexertion is still in the game because I'm looking forward to seeing how much damage an Overexerted Nightseeker can put out. :kheldragar:

That kind of thing is exactly why it’s not, sadly. :smith:

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

That kind of thing is exactly why it’s not, sadly. :smith:
Balls. Ah well, I still want a binder so the Pugilist gets to stay.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I kind of want to use a hero offensively, but then I'd have to grab a protector and I wonder if that'd make my party too low on DPS to work.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

mandatory lesbian posted:

oh yeah, so now that the games shipping to me, this is a good time to ask just what the heck party am i supposed to go for in this, i've never played an etrian odyssey game before

For a newcomer you'll probably want a Protector. As their name implies they make your people not die. Enemies in EO hit hard and while there are many ways to survive the Protector offers the most complete and powerful package to keep others alive.
Medic or War Magus are both straight forward healers. While you are learning the game it's pretty helpful to have someone like this in your party.
Should you pick a tank and a healer you'll have an extremely strong but also extremely defensive support core so you need some damage.
Zodiac is one of very few INT-based attackers so they can get around high VIT enemies. Also being your standard mage they have fire, ice and volt to hit different weaknesses.
Nightseeker is a high damage class that also uses ailments - which is good especially if you pick a War Magus as your healer. War Magi want ailments for their offensive skills but their own infliction skill is less than stellar. Also using a Nightseeker can show you that infliction is actually useful in EO unlike many other RPGs.
And for the last party slot Highlander or Imperial are high damage classes that have a bit risk-reward going on.

That should give you a fairly easy to play and straight forward party that is still strong enough to deal with most of the stuff the labyrinth throws at you.
However those tips are only based on the prior performance of those classes; I haven't played EON yet.

What will probably be the same in EON as in any other EO is the general rule of thumb for building your characters: Having a few strong skills is better than having a bunch of weak ones you never use as turns are valuable. But be careful if a new level in a skill increases its TP cost and make sure you can stomach that increased cost.
Also most generic passives that only do stuff like increasing your overall damage, defence or HP are usually something for lategame when your actives are maxed. However it seems some classes have more specific passives - those might be worth to think about earlier on.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

oh yeah, so now that the games shipping to me, this is a good time to ask just what the heck party am i supposed to go for in this, i've never played an etrian odyssey game before and kinda just ordered nexus while drunk one night

Hoo boy, you sure picked a hell of an Etrian Odyssey game as your first one, so it might be a bit difficult to say. You can make 5-man parties, and you're generally expected to stick with those 5 for the entire game. (You don't have to, you can swap out different classes if you wish, though that will involve grinding.) Typically a party with some damage dealers, one or two defensive classes, and whatever else usually suffices.

Here's a quick rundown of the classes.

Offensive:
-Survialist (Ranged physical attacker with some capabilities to screw with enemy accuracy and has some evasion capabilities.)
-Ronin (Melee physical attacker who can change stances to use different skills. Some skills center around dealing lots of damage, others have a bit more utility like inflicting status effects and such.)
-Highlander (Melee physical attacker who operates by sacrificing their HP to deal damage. Also has some skills that combo with each other. Can also increase the party's damage output, at the cost of their HP.)
-Gunner (Ranged physical attacker with some utility capabilities, such as inflicting special status effects known as binds, which can prevent enemies from using certain skills. Eventually gets access to strong elemental attacks later on.)
-Zodiac (Elemental spellcaster that eventually gets access to a strong physical spell later on.)
-Shogun (Melee physical attacker with buffing capabilities, such as increasing damage.)
-Landsknecht (Melee physical and elemental attacker. Their elemental attacks hit more when other party members deal damage to their targets.)
-Nightseeker (Melee physical attacker that is capable of inflicting status effects, and deals heavy damage to enemies inflicted with status effects.)
-Imperial (Melee physical and elemental attacker that centers around dealing huge amounts of burst damage to one enemy, but must deal with cooldowns on their strongest skills.)
-Puglist (Melee physical attacker that can inflict binds.)

Defensive:
-Protector (Tanking class. Also reduces the amount of damage the party takes with their skills.)
-Medic (Self-explanatory. Goes all in on healing and generally isn't capable of much else, but can also dispel status effects.)

Utility:
-War Magus (A healing class with some slight offensive capabilities, at the cost of having weaker healing than the Medic. Can also inflict status effects and debuffs for further support.)
-Sovereign (A buffing class. Can increase the damage your party deals, reduces the damage they take, and can provide some weak healing. Also can dish out some minor elemental damage.)
-Ninja (Mainly focuses on inflicting debuffs and status effects, while having a decent amount of evasion. Also can dish out some minor physical damage.)
-Farmer (Mainly focuses on making the dungeons easier to explore. Such as being able to nullify the effects of damage tiles entirely, or making it easier to harvest items from certain points. Very little actual combat capabilities.)
-Arcanist (Status effect and bind inflictor that also has some healing capabilities.)
-Harbinger (Centers around inflicting debuffs and some status effects. Can also deal some respectable physical damage.)

Other:
-Hero (It's here because it functions as a jack of all trades and can fit into the other 3 roles easily.)

A couple of things to keep in mind. Inflicting status effects (poison, blind, etc.) are actually pretty effective in Etrian Odyssey. However, there's a mechanic in place to reduce their effectiveness so you don't just roll over everything with them. Basically when you inflict a certain ailment, the enemy in question will become more resistant to it if you ever try to inflict that specific ailment on them again. This resistance wears off over time, though no matter how long you wait, inflicting it again will always be harder than the last time you inflicted it. There's also a subcategory of ailments known as binds. Basically skills use a body part, the head, arm, or legs. If that part is bound, that skill can't be used. Though some skills don't use a body part at all, and cannot be stopped with binds.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 5, 2019

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Whew boy, that is a lot of info to take in at once. Seems like both of y'all agree that defensive classes are a good thing, so medic and protector are gonna be in. I'll have to have the game in front of me to really be able to decide who else gets in (it's whoever has the cutest character portraits)

Thank you for the huge post Dr. Fetus, hopefully you don't think I'm being flippant or anything, going by the descriptions I think I like people like nightseeker and gunner. And what do you know they inflict statuses so it'd prob be fun to play around with poisoning everyone.

mandatory lesbian fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 5, 2019

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Whew boy, that is a lot of info to take in at once. Seems like both of y'all agree that defensive classes are a good thing, so medic and protector are gonna be in. I'll have to have the game in front of me to really be able to decide who else gets in (it's whoever has the cutest character portraits)

Good (bad?) news!

Etrian Odyssey Nexus lets you use any character portrait with any class.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Bind is basically just Silence, except split over three body parts. Head binds are your most traditional, preventing spellcasting and shouting orders (like the Sovereign or Shogun's buffs), as well as biting for monsters. Arm binds prevent using weapons and most attacks, as well as some non-magical first-aid or other supportive skills. Leg binds prevent monsters from using charging attacks, although have less of an effect on players since not many skills use the legs (although there are definitely some). However, it also prevents evasion which can be a death sentence against certain enemies with powerful, but low accuracy attacks.

But anyway, I'd recommend just taking whichever classes seem coolest/cutest. There's someone in this thread who's made a habit of beating every game with 5 copies of the same class, over and over again, and if that's possible then pretty much any team that's slightly more balanced should be easy by comparison.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zurai posted:

Good (bad?) news!

Etrian Odyssey Nexus lets you use any character portrait with any class.

Everybody's gonna be a cute anime girl except one very tough looking man.

he'll be the medic, of course!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Do Farmers have any kind of healing capabilities? My plan for a team of all classes I haven't played before has one snag in that I don't think any of my available choices are healers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Do Farmers have any kind of healing capabilities? My plan for a team of all classes I haven't played before has one snag in that I don't think any of my available choices are healers.

They have some utility like out-of-battle revives and TP restoration, but no direct healing, no.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Regy Rusty posted:

They can toss items to heal. So can everyone else, true, but their force boost doubles item effects so they've still got a small edge on that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gotcha. How do people usually handle running teams without a dedicated healer? I'm usually too chicken but my determination to have no repeats is outweighing my caution. I guess just use lots of items?

RegalStar posted:

They can toss items to heal. So can everyone else, true, but their force boost doubles item effects so they've still got a small edge on that.

Ooh that could help

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There are several classes which have passive or incidental heals in EON, and it should be possible to beat the game just fine without a dedicated healer by using a couple of those OR by stocking up on items before boss fights. There's at least one class (I think Survivalist?) which has an ability which improves the healing power of items and can even let them use items on a whole row.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Regy Rusty posted:

Gotcha. How do people usually handle running teams without a dedicated healer? I'm usually too chicken but my determination to have no repeats is outweighing my caution. I guess just use lots of items?

Bind and ailment-focused teams probably have the easiest time going without a healer in most EO games, since they can lock down enemies and prevent them from doing much damage.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

In my experience, three Ds: Damage, Disables, and Defense.
1. Kill them as quickly as possible.
2. The ones you can't kill, at least stop from attacking.
3. The ones you can't stop, make them do as little damage as possible.

Against bosses, you probably want some passive healing, some kind of heal spell, and a supply of Medicas / Nectars, though.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I know all the promo art for Nexus has the Hero all over it but I feel like I can't be bothered to actually use one. They seem too all-rounder for my tastes.

Current plan is Protector/Pugilist/Nightseeker//War Magus/Zodiac. I really hope Overexertion is still in the game because I'm looking forward to seeing how much damage an Overexerted Nightseeker can put out. :kheldragar:

I would really consider switching the Protector for a Hero.
I didn't go with a Hero initially since I was only thinking in terms of classes I was familiar with from other games. I started out with a protector but found the party to be too lacking in offense during boss fights.
Hero's defensive skills are honestly almost as good as a protector in most situations and always come with an added attack. And since you are running a disable heavy team you will have a lot of turns where the protector doesn't have a lot to do. Their best single target attack skill relies on the damage that other party members do that turn, so when the enemy is disabled and the nightseeker/war magus are using their good attacks the hero can contribute quite a lot to damage.
Outside of that the Zodiac's AOE spells are pretty costly for much of the game and you don't have many other options for AOE. The hero has great AOE skills which are also cheap.
As far as the elemental anti skills you can always sub with Protector later in the game.
I don't think they are too much of an all rounder in the sense that in a party like yours they would be defending most of the time except when the enemy is disabled. As far as their healing skills, they are passives and will give you a small bit of healing most turns.
Pugilist is not great in this game though I have one in the party.

Regy Rusty posted:

I assume that includes Hero which has a small passive heal to the party that happens whenever they attack. I don't know if Arcanist and Sovereign are included in your list but they also have passive heals every turn. I had all 3 of them in the party and it worked pretty well for the most part. But you will have to farm the ingredients for Nectar a whole lot

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This is my list:

Ronin
Farmer
Ninja
Shogun
Nightseeker
Imperial
Harbinger
Hero

So I've already tapped out the usual healers both active and passive. Arcanist was great fun in EO4, and I've had Sovereign both as a Monk subclass in EO3 and as part of the story party in Untold 2. And War Magus in there too of course.

I'm sure I'll make it work but the game is still 12+ hours away so I'm just idly trying to think of things I can try.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My only experience in the series is 4(which I finished) and 5(which I'm at the third stratum boss), so a lot of these classes are going to be a bit new to me, so whee. I have read the LPs of the assorted games, so there is that.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Regy Rusty posted:

Ooh that could help

A good way to look at how to get by without a dedicated healer in an Etrian game is to look at healing as a defensive tool. Basically the ultimate goal of healing is to make your party harder to kill and avoid getting wiped. So with that in mind, you'll want to look for other tools that can accomplish the same goal. Damage reduction is a defensive tool that accomplishes that. Handgun Phonics also covered a lot of it well. Hero is a class that comes with such damage reduction capabilities, and can function well as a defensive support.

Disables are an offensive tool that also accomplishes the same end goal as healing, but in a very different manner. Instead of beefing up your party, they're shutting down the enemy. Either by causing them to miss or just preventing them from acting at all.

Alternatively, damage. Lots of damage. No need to heal if you don't take much of it in the first place!

Item usage is also another way to deal with the lack of a dedicated healer. Items are basically like skills, but you don't have to use up TP for them, nor use up any skill points just to unlock them. But they will eat up inventory slots, a different kind of resource.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Item Getter posted:

I would really consider switching the Protector for a Hero... :words:
Is there a writeup anywhere of what all the Hero's skills are and how they work? My other problem with using a Hero is that I have literally no idea of what they can do aside from "something something afterimage".

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Is there a writeup anywhere of what all the Hero's skills are and how they work? My other problem with using a Hero is that I have literally no idea of what they can do aside from "something something afterimage".

I made this thing, which has skill descriptions and data.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Man, I would like to get Nexus but I think I probably should finish 5 first...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm gonna go with Farmer, Nightseeker, Imperial, and Hero and I'm still undecided between Shogun and Harbinger since I really don't know/remember what they can do. If I understand correctly, both Ninja and Hero would be competing for the summon slot so I'm not gonna bring one of those.

I could also go with Ronin but I've never really liked the look of their skills in the other games when I looked at them. The whole stance thing always kinda put me off.

It's gonna be a weird as hell team but this is a weird frankenstein of a game so let's do it

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I could also go with Ronin but I've never really liked the look of their skills in the other games when I looked at them. The whole stance thing always kinda put me off.

I used a Ronin last time, and frankly it seems kind of dumb. The stances don't last long enough to use their powerful moves without immediately losing your stance, so you either use their weak dinky moves all the time or spend every other turn putting up a new stance. Compared to other damage dealing classes it's just bad, and even in optimal circumstances (their Force Boost which preserves stance duration) it's not like they're amazingly strong or anything.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Clarste posted:

I used a Ronin last time, and frankly it seems kind of dumb. The stances don't last long enough to use their powerful moves without immediately losing your stance, so you either use their weak dinky moves all the time or spend every other turn putting up a new stance. Compared to other damage dealing classes it's just bad, and even in optimal circumstances (their Force Boost which preserves stance duration) it's not like they're amazingly strong or anything.

Treating Ronin like a straight damage dealer is going to result in disappointment, and also not taking full advantage of how stupid good they are at inflicting disables with anything that uses the (STR * 2) + LUC formula. Focus on the Clear Stance tree and give them a Nightseeker subclass so that they can inflict and capitalize on disables for most of their Stance duration, and then close out with Stone Thrust.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, I did get pretty good use out of Stone Thrust, so I can see that, but unfortunately that strategy would not work with my master "give everyone a gun for that one shogun move" plan.

It's still disappointing if a class isn't self-sufficient though. Subclassing should be to make you even better, not to make you functional.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Ahhh, gently caress, it's a good thing my 3DS is still lent out because I'm unemployed and rapidly running out of money and can't justify picking this up yet :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm gonna go with Farmer, Nightseeker, Imperial, and Hero and I'm still undecided between Shogun and Harbinger since I really don't know/remember what they can do. If I understand correctly, both Ninja and Hero would be competing for the summon slot so I'm not gonna bring one of those.

It's gonna be a weird as hell team but this is a weird frankenstein of a game so let's do it

Harbinger could fill in the healer/support role, which that team comp seems to be kind of lacking. Atonement looks crazy strong being a party heal that clears ailments and their Miasma Armor mechanic is a lot more streamlined so you can use the skills that use it up easier.