Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Except Respawn is EA's premier dev studio right now and their only vehicle for maintaining the Disney Star Wars license going forward. My guess is that Respawn and EA are probably pretty close atm and have no issue scratching each others backs. Zampella is no stranger to airing his dirty laundry (having been through many dev cycles with big companies before when inventing the Medal Of Honor and Call Of Duty franchises)...but I've seen none of his characteristic ire in recent months. This leads me to believe that the same leak that accurately mentioned the existence of Apex is correct about TF3 having switched graphical engines for future hardware. Respawn has been dev'ing 3 games then: Apex dev'd by their B-Team on modified Source, and Jedi: Fallen Order / Titanfall 3 on Frostbyte. I think they expect Apex to be a stopgap cashcow while the trend is still hot, which is probably a fair assumption. If it wasn't too late for CoD to successfully get in on the trend 4 months ago then it ain't too late now, and Apex is decidedly more polished than the other BR games on the market.

That being said, Apex may or may not be my jam at all (though I am impressed with how polished and seamless it is right out the gate; like compare this to Anthem :lol:), but nothing really suggests atm that Respawn is in a tight, in fact all signs point to them having a fairly privileged position within EA. I think the picture will be a bit clearer at E3 when we see Fallen Order.

Yeaaah, except most of their lead talent jumped ship last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Stan Taylor posted:

Idk if you know this but Respawn are literally the guys who invented cod. Titanfall is just sci-fi cod.

If cod had giant rideable bff robots id play it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lemming posted:

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^ yes exactly, I agree with you. More or less I think they fumbled the launch of the first game and if they did a better job then TF2 would've been more successful, and I agree we were more or less lucky to have TF2 at all

It also doesn't help that it was console exclusive to the Xbone which no one bought because it had nothing going for it.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
That's 8 people out of Respawn's >200

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Malloc Voidstar posted:

It's eight of the (if not THE) most important people in the studio who actually made the games good though, and had clout to decide how a game was made. Everyone else just does as they're told whether they like it or not.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

But they are all leads and senior guys. We don't know if it's the majority of their leads and seniors (as we don't know internally how they're structured) but when more than 2 guys near the top leave, something happened.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Man I understand why they released like they did. People are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ready to hate. Played a few rounds, probably the best tuned BR out there currently. I'm happy because I'm expecting if this takes off for there to be more TF universe stuff.

EDIT: God I wish there was solo queue.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

s.i.r.e. posted:

It also doesn't help that it was console exclusive to the Xbone which no one bought because it had nothing going for it.

Whilst the decision may have ultimately doomed the franchise, from the sound of things, the game and Respawn itself may have not survived without a backer.

Iirc, Respawn actually offered Sony first dibs at exclusivity, but they weren't interested (wanted something for the Vita).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rinkles posted:

So did they take out the parkour because it was too hard for most players?

I'm not ridiculing the decision (as unfortunate as it is), just trying to understand it.

I think the parkour is seen as something that raises the skill floor considerably, yes. Tf2 has long been considered a throwback to skillbased movement of the late 90s/early 00s and is something limits broad based appeal.

That being said, even though I imagine that EA wasn't really on board for a skill-based movement FPS with narrow appeal, Tf2 exists unscathed. I think EA is fine with that in the end, as long as Respawn is also game to dev them a broad-based cashcow.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I also wonder if Respawn's own telemetry showed that most players were not using the parkour system. I mean, I see an awful lot of people playing firmly on the ground, even at this very late stage of the game's lifecycle.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I also wonder if Respawn's own telemetry showed that most players were no using the parkour system.

TBH I'm expecting a lot of people in here to be mainly mad because you can't clown on the 99% of people who couldn't do the advanced movement.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
They will be new characters in June, I'm sure one will be able to wallrun.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

What a reach this is.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tf2 exists unscathed.

More like it exists ignored, because EA has done nothing to help push it alongside Battlefield or Star Wars Battlefront. For all intents and purposes it's the worst they could've done outside of outright killing it.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Apex Legend thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881396

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mr.Citrus posted:

TBH I'm expecting a lot of people in here to be mainly mad because you can't clown on the 99% of people who couldn't do the advanced movement.

Why can't it just be that the advanced movement is fun and wanting the game to have that fun movement?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

More like it exists ignored, because EA has done nothing to help push it alongside Battlefield or Star Wars Battlefront. For all intents and purposes it's the worst they could've done outside of outright killing it.

You are just full of hot takes, aren't you

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Lemming posted:

Why can't it just be that the advanced movement is fun and wanting the game to have that fun movement?

Behind every single goon lament is a nefarious purpose. never forget this

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What a reach this is.

You don't have a handful of top level dudes leave your company without some massive disagreements.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

You don't have a handful of top level dudes leave your company without some massive disagreements.

Maybe IW just offered them more money :shrug:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Below is my review, I considered using a belt around my neck to partially restrict my oxygen in an attempt to forget TF2 exists, but instead decided on whiskey.

All observations are made on a on a PS4 poor because I enjoyed TF2 the most on that platform compared to pc.

pro Respawn level attentions to detail:
-turn off damage numbers options
-hud size options
- fov options
-ping wheel is pretty good, the way you can confirm people’s pings is slick
- transcribe voice to text lol that’s crazy as gently caress
- squad pick hero interface smartly done
- jumpmaster method to keep everyone together is elegant and cool
- movement seems fine (plenty of people freaking out about how it feels like poo poo, but it feels just like TF2 minus the wall run and double jump)
- activate-able 180degree shield while down is cool, combined with the ping wheel you can convey a lot of info while down
- special abilities for the classes are actually pretty cool
- they really made it easy to communicate info with teammates

Dumb poo poo:
- map looks like a generic as gently caress battle royal map, gotta have that desert zone, that swamp zone, ect
- ps4 poor FPS not stable 60
- LOD pop in on ps4 poor not great
- resolution on PS4 poor not great compared to TF2
- spawning with no weapon sucks in this context (its funny in PUBG when your trying to kill someone with a pan but doesn’t feel right in this)

Overall verdict: it’s both propped up and held back by its Titanfall heritage. Everything that’s a positive I cant help but feel like it would be MORE of a positive if it was more Titanfally.

All you need for Titans and jump jet pilots in the game:
- increase teams to 6 and allow a max of one pilot and one titan active per team
- teams earn points per x amount of time, you can spend points for call ins, including titans and pilots
- split titans into two categories small/large. Large titans can only be called in on the final x zones. Small titans can be called in anytime you have points.
- spawn random events where you fight over batteries or some poo poo to buff titans or gain call in points
- or make little sub classes like one dude who can call in grunt dropships or reapers ect

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Lemming posted:

Gamers are the most selfless people on the planet. How silly of me to expect gamers to be selfish babies who argue for the artistic integrity of a game with an ulterior motive, i don't know how i could of gotten this idea. GAMERSRRISEUP

(fake edit: i agree with you and was really hoping the advanced moment was in there, thats why i said i figured "most")

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 5, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maybe IW just offered them more money :shrug:

quote:

If unaware, a messy legal battle caused the majority of the Infinity Ward studio to leave back in 2010, after Activision fired studio heads Jason West and Vince Zampella for "breaches of contract and insubordination".

Pretty sure it'd take a bit more than money to go back after something like that.

You are just full of hot takes, aren't you

Do you just not know what a publisher is supposed to do for a studio?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Lemming posted:

My guess: Because its a type of fun that requires an investment to pull off and until you "get" it, you're behind players who already did said investment. That can be unfun for newer people and they want as many people as they can. So... accessibility?

It sucks that it is probably something like that.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

- increase teams to 6 and allow a max of one pilot and one titan active per team
- teams earn points per x amount of time, you can spend points for call ins, including titans and pilots
- split titans into two categories small/large. Large titans can only be called in on the final x zones. Small titans can be called in anytime you have points.
- spawn random events where you fight over batteries or some poo poo to buff titans or gain call in points
- or make little sub classes like one dude who can call in grunt dropships or reapers ect

I guarantee they have been watching the "events" Fortnite does and are prepared to throw titans into this game seasonally, as well as wall running seasonally etc etc. The map is obviously designed with wall running and titan combat in mind already.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

I bet you they'll do mixed titan/BR as a mode in TF3

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Wazzit posted:

Yes I'm sure if this Battle Royale game does well I'm sure EA will be reasonable enough to let Respawn spend the millions of dollars in resources to make a Titanfall 3 with a singleplayer campaign that on average 25% of it's playerbase will finish.

:shepicide:

That's the completion percentage of most games. 26% of people beat Resident Evil 7 on normal difficulty, a single player game with a ~9 hour playthrough

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Btw Titanfall 2 on PC is still very playable. The player population is small these days, but it’s still perfectly capable of matchmaking you properly. I thought it would be nothing but high skill assassins now, but it’s still very pleasant.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 5, 2019

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure it'd take a bit more than money to go back after something like that.
The aftermath of the firings made for some amazing reading.

quote:

The suit alleges that during the build up that led to the firing of West and Zampella, Activision forced Infinity Ward employees to submit to secret interrogations and told the employees not to tell anyone about them. The publisher also brought in security personnel to man the office exits, according to the suit.
This was almost 9 years ago, though, so at this point maybe offering more money is enough?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

First impressions. Looks really nice. Best looking BR game by a long shot. Shooting feels good, feels like Titanfall pretty much. Visually it's so busy it's hard to really tell what's going on sometimes though. I didn't see a hell of a lot of action.It seemed a bit uneventful at times. After seeing how the map is designed with so many obstacles it feels even stupider that they ditched wall running, and even more so double jump.

Overall, I think it's got a lot of potential, but needs some polish because there are some weird design decisions going on. It definetly feels clunkier than Blackout. Also feels way less like a tactical shooter than BO or PUBG. I'm defiently keeping it around though and will probably continue to play.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 5, 2019

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Gunder posted:

Btw Titanfall 2 on PC is still very playable. The player population is small these days, but it’s still perfectly capable of matchmaking you properly. I thought it would be nothing but high skill assassins now, but it’s still very pleasant.

There is a lot of talk about the “high skill requirement” for the parkour poo poo in TF2, but I felt like the real genius of the game was that you didn’t have to be good at it. When I picked up TF2 on PS4 the last FPS I played on a console was something on ps2, so I stuck to the single player first. It was great, they somehow managed to nail the aim assist while wall running in such an amazing way i was doing cool as pilot moves in no time.

Multiplayer in attrition was the same. I thought I would be total poo poo, and I was, except you realize you can score a shitload of points by hunting grunts instead of getting owned by other players. Even if you lose the the match you get the little ‘run to the drop ship mini mission’ takes some of the sting out of a loss. The intro dropship gets you pumped up, killing little grunts is so key to making titans really feel badass, the playlist lets you select/exclude multiple modes and search for all (every multiplayer game should have this), just so many little details that really make it excellent and that Respawn really tried.

I see a lot of that attention to detail in Apex, it’s just unfortunate there are no giant robots.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 5, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Vince Zampella is still at Respawn and Jason West retired around the time Titanfall 1 came out, so I'm not sure what your point is here.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Apex thread for anyone who cares: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881396

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I played a few rounds and I still hate battle royale. A lot of nice Respawn touches are there but that combined with the lack of wall running/double jumping/titans just makes me sad.

I think it'll be popular, just not so much with fans of Titanfall.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Captain Beans posted:

There is a lot of talk about the “high skill requirement” for the parkour poo poo in TF2, but I felt like the real genius of the game was that you didn’t have to be good at it. When I picked up TF2 on PS4 the last FPS I played on a console was something on ps2, so I stuck to the single player first. It was great, they somehow managed to nail the aim assist while wall running in such an amazing way i was doing cool as pilot moves in no time.

Yea maybe it’s different on pc but on console I was “competitive” from my very first multiplayer game. Of course I was mostly killing grunts without realizing they were ai but thats ok because it still contributes to the team. It only took a couple more matches to understand I needed to let go of my more traditional FPS habits and embrace the movement aspect. Even now I’ll jump on every few months for a couple matches and do well; there isn’t just the ridiculously skilled players left

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Captain Beans posted:

This is 100% the truth; there were so many other things you could do to be good at Titanfall instead of just taking out other players. You could be good at taking out grunts, hacking turrets, area denial so your buddies can mop poo poo up, or maybe you're bad at a pilot and drat good in your Titan. Titanfall wasn't just about going a million miles an hour and getting those sick nasty 360 noscopes, but there was a lot of other stuff that would help take your team to victory.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I think what Apex Legends did that was actually good was make me want to play Titanfall 2 again.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Random thought: is it possible that the reason AL doesn't have all the wallrunning and movement options is because EA's famously shoddy netcode wouldn't be able to keep up with 60 players running and jumping all over the place? I'm just asking questions here, folks.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I'm downloading AL to give it a try but the lack of wallrunning and Titans, plus reports so far, are certainly reinforcing my skepticism.

If Respawn actually wanted to do a BR, why not do it in a way that still includes the tentpole elements of their only big IP?

I would be much more excited for a BR where you have both Titan and Pilot gameplay. Drop in as a Titan like in LTS, when the Titan dies (or you leave it) you're a Pilot with nothing but a SERE Kit and jumpjets - which is when the "scrounge for weaponry" mechanic could come in, by lifting weapons off of dead Grunts and so on.

Instead of the boring genre-standard of "killer gas forces everyone into the circle", have the circle be the ever-narrowing landing zone for a dropship that can only carry as many pilots as can be in a squad. You win by being the squad that makes it to the dropship AND survives liftoff.

Mordja posted:

Random thought: is it possible that the reason AL doesn't have all the wallrunning and movement options is because EA's famously shoddy netcode wouldn't be able to keep up with 60 players running and jumping all over the place? I'm just asking questions here, folks.

It's not impossible, but Respawn used the same engine (Source) so I don't think it's likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007