Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ashcans posted:

If you don't mirror every surface in the bathroom you're a coward.
I was in this public toilet once where they had little discretion walls between the urinals, but the entire wall they were against was polished to a mirror sheen. It was almost tragic. Someone did an absolutely perfect job cleaning the place, only to put a spotlight on a critical design flaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

PainterofCrap posted:

I may get hammered for this, but the best bang for my buck have been...IKEA faucets for bathroom sinks.

They are (or were, until recently) solid brass, metal faucets. No plastic. I've had one on the bathroom sink for eleven years and the action is still smooth, has never leaked or given a day's problem. Think it was $65.

When I remodelled the kitchen, I noted similar build quality for most of the kitchen faucets, but could not find one my wife was happy with. The decent-looking & feeling ones ran from $115-$300.

VVV yeah, and sinks...can't vouch for the toilets, but the sink in my (narrow-rear end) bathroom was perfect for it.

Get good brass drains from a plumbing supply house, though...IKEA sells/includes plastic crap for the drain side. I imagine the toilets have some Fisher-Price-level garbage in the tank...I'd definitely pull the tank lid & check it first.

Surprisingly, big-box still sells decent toilets (but stay away from the Kohler Cimmaron. Christ, I can't wait until my wife leaves town on her next trip to replace it).

No hate on IKEA faucets, they seem to work generally well(though it being their homegrown stuff, it means you're stuck with them for spare parts if they break post-warranty, with a non-store brand like Grohe or whatever, you can drop by just about any store and have a decent chance of finding the right cartridge or whatever's needed to unfuck it), but holy poo poo stay away from their kitchen sinks. At least here in Denmark they've decided to do all the drain parts in non-standard sizes and configurations so we regularly get desperate customers coming in to fix their IKEA garbage and all we can do is go "well, sorry, you'll have to hit up IKEA for those parts because the dumb Swedish fucks decided to not do things the standardized way."

As for drains... honestly, I'd go plastic all the way. Usually the metal poo poo is what comes apart in a couple of years, especially for bathroom sink drains, while good ol' PVC(and PEX or ALU-PEX for water pipes)will survive longer than the rest of the house in 99% of all cases.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

How is stickers a loving security risk?

Enough people feel vulnerable flying that we give a pass to absurd security overreach and routinely allow stuff like obvious jokes to be treated as serious crimes.

If you can shut a chunk of major city down with this:

then sadly I think you can cause a spectacle at an airport with a fake outlet.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FilthyImp posted:

:same:

It rained like god turned on the tap to full here for an afternoon, and a few days later a yellowish spot appeared in the corner of the ceiling by the fireplace.

Welp, looks like we're getting that new roof sooner than we thought.

I think I've got lucky and it's actually condensation inside the roof space as it was a small amount of water in one specific corner where the roof slopes and goes from GRP to tiles, it's been cold and damp so the window vents have all been shut and the roof surface will be cold so it makes sense.

Look forward to my "I came back from holiday and my house is wrecked" in two weeks!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

FilthyImp posted:

:same:

It rained like god turned on the tap to full here for an afternoon, and a few days later a yellowish spot appeared in the corner of the ceiling by the fireplace.

Welp, looks like we're getting that new roof sooner than we thought.

Check the flashing where the chimney meets the roof or elevation first. It's a common leak area, and a relatively cheap fix, unless your roof is so far gone it'll fall apart during the flashing repair/reseal.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PurpleXVI posted:

No hate on IKEA faucets, they seem to work generally well(though it being their homegrown stuff, it means you're stuck with them for spare parts if they break post-warranty, with a non-store brand like Grohe or whatever, you can drop by just about any store and have a decent chance of finding the right cartridge or whatever's needed to unfuck it), but holy poo poo stay away from their kitchen sinks. At least here in Denmark they've decided to do all the drain parts in non-standard sizes and configurations so we regularly get desperate customers coming in to fix their IKEA garbage and all we can do is go "well, sorry, you'll have to hit up IKEA for those parts because the dumb Swedish fucks decided to not do things the standardized way."

I did use a small stainless sink for a basement work area. It was thin, a fairly cheap build...it worked out fine, and took a standard US sink drain. So far, so good.

PurpleXVI posted:

As for drains... honestly, I'd go plastic all the way. Usually the metal poo poo is what comes apart in a couple of years, especially for bathroom sink drains, while good ol' PVC(and PEX or ALU-PEX for water pipes)will survive longer than the rest of the house in 99% of all cases.

That's why I specifically mentioned sourcing from a plumbing supply house, where truly heavy and properly plated drain stock can be had. The metal drain stock at big-box and even most hardware stores is thin-walled crap that corrodes through after a couple of years.

If that option is not available, then by all means, use plastic...although I'd use the heavier schedule 40.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

PainterofCrap posted:

That's why I specifically mentioned sourcing from a plumbing supply house, where truly heavy and properly plated drain stock can be had. The metal drain stock at big-box and even most hardware stores is thin-walled crap that corrodes through after a couple of years.

If that option is not available, then by all means, use plastic...although I'd use the heavier schedule 40.

There's no real advantages to metal drains, though, unless it's something without a vanity so your drain piping will be visible, in which case it looks slightly nicer. As long as it's hidden away, go plastic, it's cheaper and will last you as long as even the good metal stuff.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

There's no real advantages to metal drains, though, unless it's something without a vanity so your drain piping will be visible, in which case it looks slightly nicer. As long as it's hidden away, go plastic, it's cheaper and will last you as long as even the good metal stuff.

Use plastic drains and give it a coat of metallic paint.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

I always wondered why my grandparents' house had copper drain pipes inside as well as supply. Copper must have been dirt cheap then.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Ashcans posted:

If you don't mirror every surface in the bathroom you're a coward.

I ask you, how else are you going to ensure a clean taint other than a mirrored floor?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PainterofCrap posted:

Check the flashing where the chimney meets the roof or elevation first. It's a common leak area, and a relatively cheap fix, unless your roof is so far gone it'll fall apart during the flashing repair/reseal.
Thanks. The wifey thought it was the flashing, since it was hot as balls for summer and we had a painting crew replacing wood/painting the house. But the roof is so bad (orig. 199x) that it sheds like hell whenever it pours so the fear is a justified kick in the rear.

Maybe I'll win lotto and I can afford that solar panel system I've been dreaming of.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

kid sinister posted:

I always wondered why my grandparents' house had copper drain pipes inside as well as supply. Copper must have been dirt cheap then.

Sputter, what. What the gently caress. Copper drain pipes? Old drains here(Denmark) are cast iron, or in some cases concrete, but copper? WHAT?

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I've owned 2 houses built in the 50s that both had copper drain lines. I know nothing about the old-timey economics of it, but I guess it was pretty common.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I have seen many, many homes (US) with copper drain lines, most installed between 1930-1975. Usually 1-1/2" to 3", tying in to a 4" cast waste line. They tend to last forever.

I had lead drain lines in my bathroom when I bought it in '92. They were probably original to the house (1930)

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

PainterofCrap posted:

I have seen many, many homes (US) with copper drain lines, most installed between 1930-1975. Usually 1-1/2" to 3", tying in to a 4" cast waste line. They tend to last forever.

I had copper drains, installed in the 60s or 70s, and they work great until they don't. Failure mode starts with a small pinhole leak which you can patch with non-vulcanized rubber tape. Very soon after the pinhole develops, it will start to open up along the bottom and will just unzip entirely with a little bit of pressure on the bottom of the pipe.

If you own a house with copper drain pipes, my advice is to find some way to partially fund a PVC refit by selling the copper for scrap. Once one length of copper drain pipe starts to fail, that means the entire drain network is going to fail in short order. Best to replace it all when it's not an emergency.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
My house has copper drains, and when I replaced my tub I tried to remove the old drum trap that was under there and the pipe it was connected to completely disintegrated. What was crazy is we had been using that tub with no leaks at all for several months before hand.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Just replaced the drain in my bathroom yesterday. It was (IIRC) a brass drain, a piece of copper pipe, a PVC reducer, and a metal P trap. The copper had started to crumble near the bottom and was leaking from there.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Just replaced the drain in my bathroom yesterday. It was (IIRC) a brass drain, a piece of copper pipe, a PVC reducer, and a metal P trap. The copper had started to crumble near the bottom and was leaking from there.

If the metal after the copper involved any iron, no surprise, those two metals will absolutely devour each other.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/bekahjaynex/status/1092135885443715072

A balcony fire spread up 6 floors of cladding in the year 2019.

quote:

Dan Stephens, the chief officer for the Metropolitan Fire Brigade, said crews believed the building was clad in the same material as the Grenfell Tower in London, which caught fire in 2017 and killed 72 people.

“My understanding is that the building is cladded with aluminium composite materials, so the cladding that was on the Grenfell Tower,” he said.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

glynnenstein posted:

They're just mad he keyed "the moon rules, #1" on everyone's car.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://twitter.com/bekahjaynex/status/1092135885443715072

A balcony fire spread up 6 floors of cladding in the year 2019.

I have a feeling we're gonna keep seeing more and more of this over time as small fires get started that normally would be put out by individuals without incident, but instead consume half a building and probably a lot of people inside with it. There must be thousands of buildings with that poo poo on them all around the world.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Someone cut their romex a bit short and was damned if they were going to waste the entire run because they needed six more inches of wire.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Speaking of ceilings, just to contribute to the thread, once I was out doing some renovating work on some apartments. And we were basically completely demolishing the bathrooms entirely, even tearing out the plumbing traps in the floors, which meant we more or less needed to tear out a big ol' chunk of the floor and have someone down below to catch it when it dropped through, as well as covering up the bathroom below, etc. etc. lot of weird poo poo happened because the drains and water came up through one column of apartments, and in each one split into the apartment next to it, which meant also interacting with the weirdos living next door, and this place had a LOT of loving weirdos.

But, the thing is, the apartment below the one we were working on that day had put a drop ceiling in their bathroom, with spots in it. So we had to disassemble that first to access the drain trap above it, and being the new guy, I get that one. It goes pretty well until I reach the first spot. Turns out, whoever had done this jank-rear end job had uninsulated the wires several inches prior to jamming them into the spots. I learned this when I was feeling around above the drop ceiling reaching for the first light and grabbed the uninsulated wires instead.

It was just a mild jolt, but son of a bitch guillotine every moron who does wiring without knowing their poo poo.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

PurpleXVI posted:

It was just a mild jolt, but son of a bitch guillotine every moron who does wiring without knowing their poo poo.

You lack imagination if you could only think of guillotine when the electric chair is so much more appropriate.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

PurpleXVI posted:

Speaking of ceilings, just to contribute to the thread, once I was out doing some renovating work on some apartments. And we were basically completely demolishing the bathrooms entirely, even tearing out the plumbing traps in the floors, which meant we more or less needed to tear out a big ol' chunk of the floor and have someone down below to catch it when it dropped through, as well as covering up the bathroom below, etc. etc. lot of weird poo poo happened because the drains and water came up through one column of apartments, and in each one split into the apartment next to it, which meant also interacting with the weirdos living next door, and this place had a LOT of loving weirdos.

But, the thing is, the apartment below the one we were working on that day had put a drop ceiling in their bathroom, with spots in it. So we had to disassemble that first to access the drain trap above it, and being the new guy, I get that one. It goes pretty well until I reach the first spot. Turns out, whoever had done this jank-rear end job had uninsulated the wires several inches prior to jamming them into the spots. I learned this when I was feeling around above the drop ceiling reaching for the first light and grabbed the uninsulated wires instead.

We once demo'd a basement where thhn wire had been run through a good majority of the drywall joints before mudding. Found that out by running a sawzall through a live wire - Thank God for double insulated tools.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A large condo project I was working on finished installing all its fire safety poo poo and only at the end after installing like 200 horns in the suites they realized they installed them a few feet from the ceiling rather than right up, resulting in them being hidden by the doors when open. Technically that's against code but re-doing them all would have cost a ridiculous amount of money. Luckily the fire inspector isn't a by the book rear end in a top hat and instead understands the intent of the code so just went in there with a decibel meter and passed the whole thing since they were all still more than loud enough and who chills in their apartment with the front door wide open anyways.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Buff Skeleton posted:

I have a feeling we're gonna keep seeing more and more of this over time as small fires get started that normally would be put out by individuals without incident, but instead consume half a building and probably a lot of people inside with it. There must be thousands of buildings with that poo poo on them all around the world.

Oh they found the cause of the fire. A discarded cig butt. Totally a freak accident and not at all a thing you'd usually find on a balcony!

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

A large condo project I was working on finished installing all its fire safety poo poo and only at the end after installing like 200 horns in the suites they realized they installed them a few feet from the ceiling rather than right up, resulting in them being hidden by the doors when open. Technically that's against code but re-doing them all would have cost a ridiculous amount of money. Luckily the fire inspector isn't a by the book rear end in a top hat and instead understands the intent of the code so just went in there with a decibel meter and passed the whole thing since they were all still more than loud enough and who chills in their apartment with the front door wide open anyways.
I want your fire inspector. . . Case in point, where I work a vendor had been stacking boxes in front of a door for a very long time, at least a year if not more, to the point nobody even remembered there was a door behind the boxes. The door in question technically leads outside, but it is a maintenance only door- it leads to the refigeration cage that you can not get into or out of from outside. There is no fire exit sign, no alarm mechanism, the door doesn't even have a door knob, all it has a dead bolt. In the event of a fire, I couldn't use the door if I wanted to, and if I did I would die a firey death in the refigeration cage. But after the vendor moved the inspector saw a door, declared it is a fire exit and now comes by monthly to inspect and make sure we have a clear path open in front of the competely unusable fire door. I'm not really mad about it, I just think it is pretty stupid short sighted code enforcement, I would like the situation better if they actually made it a fire door and included a way to exit the cage outside as well. Is this normal, or is there usually some sort of exception for doors which are clearly not fire exits?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Oddly enough, that is salvageable with a Tyco buried splice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Oddly enough, that is salvageable with a Tyco buried splice.

So many situations are. I love those things. I hate having to use them, but it's a reasonable and safe solution.

But to be fair - that's an attic. If there's no decking they could also just bang in a box on the other side of that opening to contain their splice.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

glynnenstein posted:

then sadly I think you can cause a spectacle at an airport with a fake outlet.

What everyone forgets about that day:

quote:

At 6:53 a.m. DHS reported that a Washington D.C. Metro station was closed down due to a suspicious package.

At 8:52 a.m. DHS notified Law Enforcement officials that at least 4 people were being treated at a post office after being overcome by fumes emanating from a package at a post office in New York City.

Aat 1:02 p.m. Boston Police received a call from New England Medical Center Security that they had uncovered a pipe bomb in their building in a desk drawer. Shortly thereafter Hospital Security reported that a suspect had been seen leaving the area of the pipe bomb in an agitated state stating “God is warning you that today is going to be a sad Day”. The suspect was reported to have fled the hospital. Boston Police continue to investigate this incident. No further details at this time.

At 1:08 p.m. the Boston Police Bomb Squad arrived and confirmed the existence of an item which appeared to be a pipe bomb inside the hospital.

Then they started getting calls regarding the guerrilla advertising campaign. And yes, they actually looked like something that could be a bomb. Here's a mooninite secured to a bridge support:

Here's a linear shaped charge like you'd use to cut a bridge support:

TBS, a major media company, decided to ignore the various laws and regulations government advertising. They didn't bother to get permits or anything, they just did it.The guy they hired to install the ads saw the cops (along with fire trucks, ambulances, and press vehicles) investigating one, and called his boss, and was told to shut up and not say anything. This was arrogance and malfeasance from a big corporation.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Motronic posted:

So many situations are. I love those things. I hate having to use them, but it's a reasonable and safe solution.

But to be fair - that's an attic. If there's no decking they could also just bang in a box on the other side of that opening to contain their splice.

In full disclosure, the pic is my own temporary patch to get the lights back on at work. I figured it was most likely incorrect but it's definitely safer than the wad of horrors that was in that box. Doing it right would involve climbing up into that spider-infested attic and I'm definitely not doing that for my usual hourly rate. An electrician is allegedly coming Soon™

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I know nothing of this, but I’d think I’d like all my splices to be in boxes. I’ll pay the extra

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Javid posted:

In full disclosure, the pic is my own temporary patch to get the lights back on at work. I figured it was most likely incorrect but it's definitely safer than the wad of horrors that was in that box. Doing it right would involve climbing up into that spider-infested attic and I'm definitely not doing that for my usual hourly rate. An electrician is allegedly coming Soon™

In terms of protecting people, if what you had there before was worse, you probably did the right thing. But in terms of protecting yourself, well, you made a not-to-code splice for your employer? Did they tell you to do that? I sure wouldn't do that for an employer. I would not want even the remote chance of being blamed.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

But in terms of protecting yourself, well, you made a not-to-code splice for your employer? Did they tell you to do that? I sure wouldn't do that for an employer. I would not want even the remote chance of being blamed.
I’d guess this is just like any other off-the-books shortcut at work:
Everything is fine as long as nothing goes wrong. But the instant something goes wrong, they will flip on you without a second of hesitation. The fact they were quietly happy with it for weeks/months/years will be conveniently and completely ignored.

Why did you make an out of code splice? Why didn’t you just tell us it was a mess? We would have hired an electrician to do it right, but nooo, you went ahead and did it and now it’s your fault that ____ happened.

MagusofStars fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 6, 2019

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The mega-corp I work for would throw a fit if I even try to lift and carry their property to move desks. They rather I have to take a half day while a union guy does it.

Doing a splice at work is next level insanity. ( though maybe different if you are part owner or like 5 person business).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Dave posted:

The mega-corp I work for would throw a fit if I even try to lift and carry their property to move desks. They rather I have to take a half day while a union guy does it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The Dave posted:

good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just found an Imgur album filled with McMansion horrors.

Sadly, each image is covered with such lol captions, but they're still worth a look, I think.

A selection of what awaits: