Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Grape posted:

Oh no I expected the Left to call for the right thing, like more or less with Franken. I was just thinking about how upsetting the whole thing still would be to the Virginians still trying to put together a fragile new blue state... but uh turns out it owns even from a practical angle

I think enough people don't really feel like Northam would be that great of a loss. How poo poo has he been on doling out good policies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Crabtree posted:

I think enough people don't really feel like Northam would be that great of a loss. How poo poo has he been on doling out good policies?

Expanded Medicaid. That's about it.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

axeil posted:

Expanded Medicaid. That's about it.

He greenlit a natural gas pipeline by replacing people on the panel that were going to vote no. We should have run him out of town on that alone.

He was always a piece of poo poo, but Gillespie was a bigger piece of poo poo by orders of magnitude.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So yeah, he's served his purpose of denying Gillepie. Time to kick him out.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
If Northam doesn't resign what are VA Dems' options?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
If Northam is pushed out, who becomes Governor?

Also gently caress Northam lmao.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

fairfax

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Fairfax znd it is a AMAZING option. Super progressive and he can run for a full term because he wasnt elected.

If northram doesnt resign then impeachment is on the table

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

If Northam doesn't resign what are VA Dems' options?

Impeachment.

Gonna be hilarious when all the VA Dems in the Senate vote to impeach and he's saved by the Republicans.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jackson Taus posted:

In Virginia, 3rd trimester abortions can only happen when 3 separate doctors say that they're medically necessary. A Democratic bill wanted to reduce that down to only 1 doctor saying it's medically necessary. The same bill was up in 2018, but 2019 is an election year and the RPV needs something to run on.

ah good, such a nice compromise, only one doctor to gatekeep a women doing what she wants with her body

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

axeil posted:

Impeachment.

Gonna be hilarious when all the VA Dems in the Senate vote to impeach and he's saved by the Republicans.

Omg can you loving imagine?

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

quote:

Section 17. Impeachment
The Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Attorney General, judges, members of the State Corporation Commission, and all officers appointed by the Governor or elected by the General Assembly, offending against the Commonwealth by malfeasance in office, corruption, neglect of duty, or other high crime or misdemeanor may be impeached by the House of Delegates and prosecuted before the Senate, which shall have the sole power to try impeachments. When sitting for that purpose, the senators shall be on oath or affirmation, and no person shall be convicted without the concurrence of two-thirds of the senators present. Judgment in case of impeachment shall not extend further than removal from office and disqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust, or profit under the Commonwealth; but the person convicted shall nevertheless be subject to indictment, trial, judgment, and punishment according to law. The Senate may sit during the recess of the General Assembly for the trial of impeachments.

What crime could he be charged with?

Hopefully he just resigns.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Captain Cappy posted:

What crime could he be charged with?

Hopefully he just resigns.

We will find something.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

This is what I was hoping was the answer, gently caress Northam lmao.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

This is what I was hoping was the answer, gently caress Northam lmao.

Oh yeah, Fairfax is the tits and stands a great chance at being President one day. Dude is a legend

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
I don't get who is giving Northam advice. Apparently he's not going to pack it in at the 2:30 press conference?!?!?

mandatory lesbian posted:

ah good, such a nice compromise, only one doctor to gatekeep a women doing what she wants with her body

I mean, this is a third trimester abortion, performed by a medical doctor. If you need one, finding a doctor to sign off on the medical necessity of the procedure is probably no harder than finding a doctor to perform the procedure (which is fairly tough in non-blue states).

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

I don't get who is giving Northam advice. Apparently he's not going to pack it in at the 2:30 press conference?!?!?

I mean, this is a third trimester abortion, performed by a medical doctor. If you need one, finding a doctor to sign off on the medical necessity of the procedure is probably no harder than finding a doctor to perform the procedure (which is fairly tough in non-blue states).

Fortunately VA is very much a blue state now! :)

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I cannot believe he's deciding to try and weather this. What a moron.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Chilichimp posted:

I cannot believe he's deciding to try and weather this. What a moron.

It doesnt feel real. It feels like an SNL cold open

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jackson Taus posted:

its just frustrating that people would celebrate something still blatantly misogynist is all

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
There's part of me that wants to buy his story about it not being him. And that would kind of track since... no one found this until now? But also... I'm WAY more apt to believe that people are just stupid and literally no one doing oppo research bothered to check his loving year books.

He needs to resign.

The timing of this and the abortion bill was clearly coordinated, though, so someone's been sitting on this waiting for a moment to pounce.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 2, 2019

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Chilichimp posted:

There's part of me that wants to buy his story about it not being him. And that would kind of track since... no one found this until now?

But also... I'm WAY more apt to believe that people are just stupid and literally no one doing oppo research bothered to check his loving year books. He needs to resign.

The timing of this and the abortion bill was clearly coordinated, though, so someone's been sitting on this waiting for a moment to pounce.

Northam, dumbass that he is, admitted to a different instance of wearing blackface, though.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Chilichimp posted:

There's part of me that wants to buy his story about it not being him. And that would kind of track since... no one found this until now?

But also... I'm WAY more apt to believe that people are just stupid and literally no one doing oppo research bothered to check his loving year books. He needs to resign.

In his press conference just now he claimed that he wasn't in the picture and he had no knowledge of it or why it's on his yearbook page, but he admitted to doing blackface himself on another occasion, when he was dressing up as Michael Jackson, so

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Pakled posted:

In his press conference just now he claimed that he wasn't in the picture and he had no knowledge of it or why it's on his yearbook page, but he admitted to doing blackface himself on another occasion, when he was dressing up as Michael Jackson, so

Another goon brought up a good point that if you had the nickname of "coonman" you did black face more than once

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

friendbot2000 posted:

Another goon brought up a good point that if you had the nickname of "coonman" you did black face more than once

So that wasn't the name of his Sound Garden cover band?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I hope Virginia Democrats are jamming his phone lines with calls to resign. He'll only do it if the pressure keeps up--eventually, he'll decide that it isn't worth it anymore.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I hope Virginia Democrats are jamming his phone lines with calls to resign. He'll only do it if the pressure keeps up--eventually, he'll decide that it isn't worth it anymore.

Lol I have been calling every person I can get a hold of. The longer he stays the larger the chances of me going down and egging him as he walks to the car.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
he needs to resign, but only if he does the moonwalk on the way out

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Crossposting...

https://twitter.com/mviser/status/1091851980262260737

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

friendbot2000 posted:

We will find something.

What are you talking about? What do you expect they'll be able to charge him with?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Awful CompSloth posted:

What are you talking about? What do you expect they'll be able to charge him with?

You dont actually have to charge him with anything. The article is sbstract enough that he could be ousted under the dereliction of duty clause.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

So, if Fairfax also goes down because this sexmonster accusation ends up being real, what happens to Virginia's political landscape? Because this is now starting to seem really really bad.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

So, if Fairfax also goes down because this sexmonster accusation ends up being real, what happens to Virginia's political landscape? Because this is now starting to seem really really bad.

Kinda frightened about it to be honest. I honestly dont know.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

His plan of “hide and hope everyone forgets I exist” seems to be working tho. :(

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Sanguinia posted:

Has some substance materialized that I missed? Last I checked this was a previously-dismissed accusation from a right wing pundit, not in any way involving the alleged victim.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sanguinia posted:

Mark Herring stands triumphant, his plans finally coming to fruition.

Although then I guess we have no Lt. Gov or AG which seems...bad.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

axeil posted:

Mark Herring stands triumphant, his plans finally coming to fruition.

Although then I guess we have no Lt. Gov or AG which seems...bad.

Both of which could be appointed by Herring in this apocalyptic hypothetical, yes?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Both of which could be appointed by Herring in this apocalyptic hypothetical, yes?

Yep. The incoming governor appoints all of them.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is herring bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

is herring bad?

No, he's pretty good--at least until the GOP magically finds proof that he bathes in the blood of aborted babies.