Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
It's free, I have four pixels for my family plan to switch to Sprint, and I just asked them to give me the SIM cards and they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I must be doing something wrong because my adventures in Pixel 3 activation have been a nightmare. Went into a Sprint store and got a SIM card for the phone, when it arrived I tried to activate it and Sprint chat said they gave me the wrong card for the phone. Not wanting to go in, I just had them send me the right one. Got the card, went through activation and the Pixel wouldn't recognize the SIM. 30 minutes with Google support and they told me it needed to be RMA'd. Got the new one today, went to activate tonight and Sprint tells me the SIM card is already active and tied to another phone.

I explain that yes, I know it is but that phone was defective please look at my account. Chat guy and his escalation point tell me I have to get another SIM card because the one in it won't work. So SIM card 3 is on its way.

Fi is looking more and more attractive, it's just a shame I use so much data.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

That's about on par with every time I activate a new phone on Sprint. What's the point of sim cards if they are tied to a specific phone? How is this terrible process better than just having a Sim tied to your account that you pop into whatever phone you want? Why is this a problem in 2018?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

RodShaft posted:

That's about on par with every time I activate a new phone on Sprint. What's the point of sim cards if they are tied to a specific phone? How is this terrible process better than just having a Sim tied to your account that you pop into whatever phone you want? Why is this a problem in 2018?

The idea is that with multiple phones with esims you should be able to switch carriers/accounts much easier, all through software.

Of course it is not going to work nearly as well as it should for years.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

There were a whole bunch of rumors that starting in November, legacy SERO, ERC, and SWAC customers would be migrated to the new SWAC plans.

Unfortunately, it seems that either they are really far behind, or it may not be happening any longer for SERO customers. It also seems like nobody in customer service really know what's going on as they keep giving conflicting answers.

While it would be nice to get switched to one of those plans, I'm not very optimistic about its likelihood.

In other news, Sprint released a rewards app, probably trying to be like T-Mobile Tuesdays etc. No fancy good deals yet, but someone on another forum mentioned it's going to be marketed on 1/15 so I guess that's the date to check on it again.

App links:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-sprint-rewards/id1441045832?mt=8
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bh.sprint&hl=en

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

astral posted:

In other news, Sprint released a rewards app, probably trying to be like T-Mobile Tuesdays etc. No fancy good deals yet, but someone on another forum mentioned it's going to be marketed on 1/15 so I guess that's the date to check on it again.

"The less data you use, the more you win!!!!"

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

One problem is using chat at all to do SERO phone activations at all. Best to call the direct SERO support number or go to a corporate store. Trying to get stuff done over Chat is a recipe on frustration.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

astral posted:

There were a whole bunch of rumors that starting in November, legacy SERO, ERC, and SWAC customers would be migrated to the new SWAC plans.

Unfortunately, it seems that either they are really far behind, or it may not be happening any longer for SERO customers. It also seems like nobody in customer service really know what's going on as they keep giving conflicting answers.

While it would be nice to get switched to one of those plans, I'm not very optimistic about its likelihood.

drat, I had no idea that was a rumor and now I'm sad. Unlimited data keeps me on SERO, but there's been a few times I've needed a hotspot while traveling. That would be perfect.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

drat, I had no idea that was a rumor and now I'm sad. Unlimited data keeps me on SERO, but there's been a few times I've needed a hotspot while traveling. That would be perfect.

Yeah, before I read about the SWAC plans I was a bit apprehensive of being forced off my plan, but after reading about the features and pricing it would've been a great change.

The latest I heard from their chat support was that some accounts were migrated back in November, others haven't been migrated, and since a lot of people have been asking about this they've escalated it to their management team to try to get an answer. Last month, they were still saying it would happen by the end of December, so who knows at this point.

They are all happy to point out that if I could get a current employee sponsor I could switch right away, which isn't entirely true anyway - current employees get 5 current customer migrations per calendar year, but can bring 100 'new' (port out 45 days, port back, or use an unassociated-with-sprint SSN) customers. Unfortunately, these days I don't know any current Sprint employees anyway, so it's all pretty moot for me if it doesn't happen automatically.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It looks like the plan isn't too bad, unless you use roaming at all, then it falls apart a bit, that and the throttling.

Getting Hotspot working on an Android phone isn't too hard though if you really want it on SERO.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Really? Every hotspot app I've tried has just popped up the upgrade option

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Free 1 topping large pizza at papa john's is now available in the sprint rewards app.

Edit: It's a coupon code that it looks like you can claim now and use by 1/29.

astral fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 15, 2019

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

astral posted:

Free 1 topping large pizza at papa john's is now available in the sprint rewards app.

Edit: It's a coupon code that it looks like you can claim now and use by 1/29.
I was going to make a joke about how appropriate this is, but Sprint is the Domino's of cellular carriers, not the Papa John's.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

nmfree posted:

I was going to make a joke about how appropriate this is, but Sprint is the Domino's of cellular carriers, not the Papa John's.

I liked the time a few years back where they were giving out a free year of amazon prime, but they screwed up (completely ignored) timezones in the BIG JAVASCRIPT COUNTDOWN in their blog post to the first day of the giveaways, so non-cynical people in any timezone except for sprint hq missed it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Not close enough to be worth it for me but I just ordered a free pie for my dad to pick up later. Worth 10+ years of sprint service.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Medullah posted:

Really? Every hotspot app I've tried has just popped up the upgrade option

I've rooted my phones for only Hotspot and Titanium Backup so it's a bit easier than using the app only way, though I could have sworn there is one app that does work to enable it without Root. I'll have to look around and get back to you on that.

What phone do you have currently?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

nmfree posted:

Considering Dominos is the best pizza that delivers in my area, it's a perfect analogy as well.

Kenji Jenkins
Aug 25, 2006

EdEddnEddy posted:

I could have sworn there is one app that does work to enable it without Root

I am on a Moto x4 with Sprint, and am currently using a paid version of PDANet+ for tethering to my laptop.
It does not require root (but it does require you to open the .apk yourself, instead of getting the App from the Play Store)

It's not nearly as seamless as root+native hotspot, but it does the job.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

EdEddnEddy posted:

I've rooted my phones for only Hotspot and Titanium Backup so it's a bit easier than using the app only way, though I could have sworn there is one app that does work to enable it without Root. I'll have to look around and get back to you on that.

FoxFi works without root on my old phone.

I have a essential phone now without root and can also tether using Nova launcher. Might be worth a shot with your phone.

Long press your home screen
Go to widgets
Nova widgets
Drag activities to your homescreen
Scroll down to settings
Scroll down to tethering and portable hotspot, click it...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

Oh yeah, I should have clarified "Without root", obviously with root it's not an issue.

I just upgraded to a Pixel 3 from a Pixel. I know FoxFi/PDANet wasn't working on the Pixel, I had a hotel room with no internet and had hoped that would save me. Haven't tried since I upgraded though.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well the cleanest and easiest way is to just use Magisk to get Root + Tethering working again which is really easy. It does require a small process of Unrooting for each OTA for a short bit but outside of that its been a reliable and easy process since I got my P2XL (Ordered launch day).

If you would like assistance on that I can help. If you want to deal with no root tether apps, the above comments might help more but I cannot really chime in any more since I used them last like 4 years ago or so.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I used to root all the time, but haven't had much reason to do it over the last few years. Thanks, I'll think it over.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

astral posted:

An update on this: it sounds like another wave of people were targeted for migration from SERO Premium 500 to Advantage Unlimited Plus today, effective next month. They received texts indicating the change.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

astral posted:

An update on this: it sounds like another wave of people were targeted for migration from SERO Premium 500 to Advantage Unlimited Plus today, effective next month. They received texts indicating the change.

Are they changing the price, or is it going to be discounted for SERO users? I've held onto my $50 Sero for 15 years or so, would be a shame to jump now (although I will in a heartbeat if I have to pay any more).

Edit: Looking at the brochure, it appears it's the same price, but offers a ton of other extras like Hulu and Amazon Prime. It also has unlimited talk and 50GB MHS, so wow, it may actually be better then SERO.

LorneReams fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 29, 2019

astral
Apr 26, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Are they changing the price, or is it going to be discounted for SERO users? I've held onto my $50 Sero for 15 years or so, would be a shame to jump now (although I will in a heartbeat if I have to pay any more).

Edit: Looking at the brochure, it appears it's the same price, but offers a ton of other extras like Hulu and Amazon Prime. It also has unlimited talk and 50GB MHS, so wow, it may actually be better then SERO.

The plan you would get migrated to if this happens is the $30 one with 50GB hotspot; you would then be able to change at any time between that one and the $50 plan with 100GB hotspot and prime.

They are basically the same as the regular Unlimited Plus/Premium plans, but with a significant employee referral discount and no extra discounts for having multiple lines.

edit: found the one accurate PDF:

edit2: Much like SERO, there are restrictions on how you can upgrade your phone (i.e. can't really get a new one activated through third parties like target, best buy, or costco). Online and corporate sprint stores are still the easiest, and of course you should be able to buy it outright wherever and still be able to get it activated by contacting Sprint. SWAC plans are eligible for the same phone promotions through Sprint as regular customer accounts.

astral fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 29, 2019

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

astral posted:

The plan you would get migrated to if this happens is the $30 one with 50GB hotspot; you would then be able to change at any time between that one and the $50 plan with 100GB hotspot and prime.

They are basically the same as the regular Unlimited Plus/Premium plans, but with a significant employee referral discount and no extra discounts for having multiple lines.

edit: found the one accurate PDF:

edit2: Much like SERO, there are restrictions on how you can upgrade your phone (i.e. can't really get a new one activated through third parties like target, best buy, or costco). Online and corporate sprint stores are still the easiest, and of course you should be able to buy it outright wherever and still be able to get it activated by contacting Sprint. SWAC plans are eligible for the same phone promotions through Sprint as regular customer accounts.

Are you sure, this seems to say differently, am I reading it wrong?

https://www.sprint.com/content/dam/sprint/north-america/usa/en/advantage-club/swac-overview-guide%209-17-18%20update.pdf

astral
Apr 26, 2004

That's an older PDF (date in URL). There's a newer PDF which they didn't fully update the plan details (and it looks like they lost the original and had to do some awful editing):
https://www.sprint.com/content/dam/sprint/north-america/usa/en/advantage-club/swac-overview-guide-11-1-18%20mgh.pdf

The one they fully updated the plan details on is at:
https://sprint.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2689

edit: Basically when the Unlimited Plus went from 15GB to 50GB hotspot, so did Advantage Unlimited Plus. Premium likewise went from 50 to 100.

astral fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 29, 2019

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

While it sounds all better, is SERO limited to the video/audio/gaming speed limits this plan has? I know the Roaming limits are much worse on this plan as Sero had been reduced to 300MB, but this SWAC is 100MB which is terrible.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

While it sounds all better, is SERO limited to the video/audio/gaming speed limits this plan has? I know the Roaming limits are much worse on this plan as Sero had been reduced to 300MB, but this SWAC is 100MB which is terrible.

The throttling doesn't look too bad - the Plus version claims up to 1080p, which I assume to mean it's throttled but with a relatively high speed limit. Premium says "Full HD" which I understand to mean there are no speed limits. SERO has no stream throttling, just the general deprioritization after 50GB of any traffic.

You can roam on select T-Mobile towers these days - they present as an older type of Sprint tower, so your phone might not even display something fancy. I don't believe I ever (maybe once?) ended up roaming domestically, but that's of course going to depend on where your home, work, and travels are and what the coverage is like there.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The only time Roaming has been a thing was when I went to Visit family in Alaska as Sprint isn't anywhere up there. I believe I just roamed onto the few Verizon towers which also had to be done carefully as 300mb is nothing these days. I would happily take the old school unlimited 3G or 2G roaming over 100% shut off after 300mb of LTE Domestic Roaming.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

The only time Roaming has been a thing was when I went to Visit family in Alaska as Sprint isn't anywhere up there. I believe I just roamed onto the few Verizon towers which also had to be done carefully as 300mb is nothing these days. I would happily take the old school unlimited 3G or 2G roaming over 100% shut off after 300mb of LTE Domestic Roaming.

Ouch, Alaska sounds pretty harsh for roaming. The good news is it would get a bit better if/when that T-Mobile merger goes through - it looks like GCI is considered an extended roaming partner for T-Mobile, and you'd have LTE speeds without a roaming cap in areas they cover.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

astral posted:

The good news is it would get a bit better if/when that T-Mobile merger goes through

Has there been any more news on that lately? I'm out of the loop.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SpelledBackwards posted:

Has there been any more news on that lately? I'm out of the loop.

The clock stopped during the government shutdown, unfortunately. Last update I heard was Sprint and T-Mobile CEOs would be testifying before some congressional committees soon.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

US-based customer service if the merger goes through?! The idea is almost as foreign to me as the current call centers!

https://newsroom.sprint.com/new-tmobile-customer-experience-centers.htm

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yea that would be pretty cool. Finally figuring out that were tired of talking to a Fleshy FAQ.

However when I call SERO support most of the time it seems to be someone US based so that's always been a plus for the most part.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yea that would be pretty cool. Finally figuring out that were tired of talking to a Fleshy FAQ.

However when I call SERO support most of the time it seems to be someone US based so that's always been a plus for the most part.

Used to be, but then sometime in the last couple of years that was also outsourced.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

astral posted:

Is this only for SERO folks or are eprp going in as well? It weirds me out to think that there are people out there who have no idea about the concept of “anytime minutes“.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Is this only for SERO folks or are eprp going in as well? It weirds me out to think that there are people out there who have no idea about the concept of “anytime minutes“.

Legacy SERO, SWAC, and ERC accounts was all I'd heard.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

astral posted:

Legacy SERO, SWAC, and ERC accounts was all I'd heard.

...and not all of 'em yet. Here's hoping for another wave. I sure never expected to WANT sprint to force me off of my sero plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

WoG posted:

...and not all of 'em yet. Here's hoping for another wave. I sure never expected to WANT sprint to force me off of my sero plan.

Same, I feel like it'll be the final victory that makes all the frustration I've had throughout the years worth it.