Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dr Tenma can be a really interesting character done right; not exactly a Magneto or even a repentant villain, but a man who made a mistake that saved the world so many times over.

All the different interpretations of Tenma are all fascinating. Even when he's a supervillain, he's so motivated by his inability to actually move on from his failures as a parent. I even like the 80s Tenma who only shows up once. They just leave on him searching for Astro after a fight, never revealing if he just gave up on him or kept searching the ocean forever.

Wasn't there a new Astro Boy show in the works? What happened to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

There are plans to do an adaptation of Pluto from mid-2017. I had the vague sense we got an update last year but am not finding anything.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Guy Mann posted:

It kind of defeats the purpose of having a Very Special Episode about teens having to care for an infant for sex ed class when the message is "placing your baby in mortal peril is actually good because babies need stimulation".

I thought the intent there wasn't the "Very Special Episode" angle so much as the "superhero forced to awkwardly juggle superhero business with personal business" angle.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

saladscooper posted:

You guys, The Boss Baby is really good. The visuals are somehow more zippy and creative than 80% of animated films released in the past decade, the narrative is a really sweet variation on the Pixar patented "two characters don't like each other but have to go on an adventure but oh now they like each other" thing, the naked babies are -

well, they're naked babies, and they're the worst thing about the movie

But yeah! The screenwriters took the conceit of a child's overactive imagination and used it to tell a faintly ridiculous yet somehow heartwarming story about a boy learning to come to terms with his baby brother. Plus Alec Baldwin really knocks it out of the park - he's downright hilarious in his first scene, and not too shabby afterwards either.

Yep, exactly. I really had no interest in it, but the word of mouth should be believed. The humor is a little tired, but it's an extremely inventive and vibrant movie on both a visual and plot level. It also rewards repeat viewings, as you pick up on more and more aspects of the story that are actually just the kid making up/misinterpreting/embellishing things in his kid brain (and using the various objects in his room as set pieces).

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 3, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's your favorite joke, the baby presenting another baby with a pacifier and telling her to suck it, or the milk bukkake scene

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cockmaster posted:

I thought the intent there wasn't the "Very Special Episode" angle so much as the "superhero forced to awkwardly juggle superhero business with personal business" angle.

Especially since the villains in that episode were flat out comedy gimmick crooks right out of the 60s. They knew what they were doing.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

All you need to do to make Astro Boy relevant is make him wear a shirt and forget the fact he has a machine-gun in his arse.

The butt machine guns make for a great joke.

I think one of the things that resonates well about Astro Boy is how he's basically a child caught between different worlds. He's a robot who can pass for human and was initially raised as one, discarded by one parental figure and adopted by another with a different view on what he is and what he can be. Dealing with the kindness and cruelty of humans, robots and sometimes also aliens, all of whom have a different perspective that Astro has to try and understand.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

It kind of defeats the purpose of having a Very Special Episode about teens having to care for an infant for sex ed class when the message is "placing your baby in mortal peril is actually good because babies need stimulation".
Honestly I didn't give a hoot about that, I just thought the idea of Terry flying around Gotham with a giant sentient egg on his back was hilariously stupid and yet it kinda worked.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFVOtq5_1CI

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Calaveron posted:

What's your favorite joke, the baby presenting another baby with a pacifier and telling her to suck it, or the milk bukkake scene

I'll have you know that was his older brother he told to suck it, thank you very much.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol Kelly Clarkson really let herself go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fF6e0YxXL4

loving pitbull should be a curse upon any movie.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

It feels like they are really trying to mimic trolls success with this.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Wow, does nothing emote in that thing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shaocaholica posted:

https://twitter.com/Attractions/status/1091762350355611648

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Anyone catch the early HTTYD 3 showings yesterday? Saw it and thought it was a decent capstone to the series, though I'm sure people will quibble with various parts of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It sounds like a sequel retread where you do the same poo poo from last time but with more stuff on the screen, with like 45 seconds of poignancy so it can feel like a grown-up movie.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I’m starting to wonder if this series is properly teaching me how to train my dragon.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The movie does in fact have scenes of dragon training.

It has everything people liked about the last two movies, it's just that 2 was overall better.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

To me there is one horrible, inescapable flaw at the heart of How to Train Your Dragon 3 that more-or-less ruined the entire film for me.

Toothless is no longer an animal with a wild, alien mind that has somehow forged an ineffable connection with a human one. The relationship between Toothless and Hiccup in this film is sapped of any wonder, magic or mystery. Toothless is loving Scooby Doo, all but able to speak perfect English, with his desires being no more complicated than "can I has a scooby snack? LOL". I get that the dragon always had some goofier scenes, but before they existed to strengthen the connection between Toothless and Hiccup. Like this creature had a softer and sillier side that only shined when around the human it had a strong connection to. Now Toothless cannot go five minutes with farting and tilting his head at the camera.

There are other problems, too. The film is opstensibly about "Finding the hidden world" but all the characters actually do is fly around loving aimlessly until they're literally shown where it is. The bad guy is absolutely unnessecary to this story; his goals and motivations are incredibly weak, he poses no new or interesting challenges to the heroes and his life philosophy doesn't impact them in any way that forces them to change or realise anything. This is REALLY weird considering he's coded as some kind of weird human supremecist who thinks Dragons should all be klled or that humans shouldn't mingle with them. A weird idea for your bad guy when at the end of the film the humans and dragons literally decide to live separately, with no one saying "wait, does this mean the clearly evil human supremecist was right?".

There's a weird inconsistency to the world, too. At the end of the last film Toothless becomes King od the Dragons and Hiccup's mother is back. In this one, those are barely actually a part of the driving force of the film. Toothless is said to be important a couple of times and Hiccup's mum is just sorta... In the background a bit.

Oh, and I hope you like one-note joke characters who announce their single joke the second they first appear on screen and then literally say nothing else despite having 100% more screentime!

The film's major problem for me, though, was the fact that the very heart of the franchise felt like it was at it's weakest ever point here. It's hard to care about the relationship between Toothless and Hiccup, it's hard to believe all the posturing of hiccup saying "I don't know who I am with Toothless", when Toothless is almost reduced to the role of comedy character. Even in scenes that just involve two dragons interacting he is typically the butt of a joke. This once majestic creature that it felt so great to see soat through the air in the first film now cannot walk down a hill without tumbling over and making a comical face at the camera.

I know it's a kids movie, and I expect and don't mind silly humour. The thing is, the movies already had a half-dozen sgoofy backfround characters that filled that role. I have a really hard time looking at this movie and answering "what is this film about?" or "what does it want to be?"

e: gently caress look at all those words about the dragon movie jesus christ i've wasted my life

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 4, 2019

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Remember in the second movie where toothless murdered Stoic? Call it an over correction.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wait Dragons 3 is worse that Dragons 2? The movie that left me with a profound sense of disappointment at the potential wasted? Nooo...

I have heard so many animation directors (okay, like 3) go on about how Dean DeBlois is a genius, how he thinks about story in a next-level way, that he's one of the finest animated film-makers working today. All this makes me think is that animation in the west has attracted startlingly few genuine story talents or that those animation directors do not know what makes a good story.

Dragons 2 was a story in which multiple character arc were dropped part way through, giving them nothing to do for the remainder. Where the villain's motivations, backstory, and even ultimate fate were vague. And where the overall message boiled down to "sometimes you just gotta be more alpha than the person you disagree with, and then beat 'em up!" as opposed to challenging an entrenched philosophy like the first movie did.

Bleh.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dragons 1 is definitely the strongest, and I agree with the scooby doo comparison, there's not quite as much majesty and awe this time around. The bits in the hidden world come close, but they're not up there with the flying with mother scenes in the second.

But it gave the story closure, and I genuinely thought they were gonna kill off Hiccup when he dived off Toothless which is pretty much all I need from a movie.

Also Gobber and the frog dragons were hilarious.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I liked the first Dragon but I never understood why people wanted sequels let alone a full trilogy. It was a movie that was good in spite of it's super generic Vikings meet Pokemon fantasy setting and there wasn't much else to expand on that wasn't already covered in the first movie. Like even Shrek and Kung Fu Panda had diminishing returns despite having a ton of built in sequel hooks (every fairy tale ever and all of kung fu ever, respectively), all Dragons had was throwing more and bigger dragons at problems and Hiccup doing generic Hero's Journey stuff.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm still annoyed the second pulls a "gently caress what you want, you gotta follow ~tradition~" bullshit with Hiccup having to become chieftain despite the fact that he neither has the desire nor temperament for it, and Hello Astrid! Astrid is right loving there and she showed much better aptitude for it, and you know the two are gonna hook up so there isn't even a matter of lineage, marry her, let her be Chieftain while he becomes the village Dragon Shaman/Scholar.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m deathly serious about dragons on the internet

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Robindaybird posted:

I'm still annoyed the second pulls a "gently caress what you want, you gotta follow ~tradition~" bullshit with Hiccup having to become chieftain despite the fact that he neither has the desire nor temperament for it, and Hello Astrid! Astrid is right loving there and she showed much better aptitude for it, and you know the two are gonna hook up so there isn't even a matter of lineage, marry her, let her be Chieftain while he becomes the village Dragon Shaman/Scholar.

This still bothers me tremendously.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Kung Fu Panda 2 is still my favorite. I just love Lord Shen so much.

Dragons 2 wasn't nearly that good. The big thing for me is it drove me crazy was the way the funeral scene was handled. I said it before but I couldn't like get into that scene or feel sad or anything because Toothless literally gets taken right before that. So the entire time I was like "hurry up... Stop this. Do this... later. DO THIS LATER. GO"

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Rooster Teeth just announced they cut ties with Vic Mignoga - and he played a pretty important character in RWBY. Hopefully now Funi is looking at this and realizing that protecting their pet VA isn't worth the loss of face.

Adios, rear end in a top hat

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Sorry, but Wolf Boss is the best addition in that movie.

He cares so much for his subordinates!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Robindaybird posted:

Rooster Teeth just announced they cut ties with Vic Mignoga - and he played a pretty important character in RWBY. Hopefully now Funi is looking at this and realizing that protecting their pet VA isn't worth the loss of face.

Adios, rear end in a top hat

It's loving amazing he skated for this long. The stories about him being a huge creeper have been around for years and I wouldn't have figured an anime VA had the sway to protect himself, but I guess it shows how entrenched this bullshit is.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

LeJackal posted:

Sorry, but Wolf Boss is the best addition in that movie.

He cares so much for his subordinates!

He's good too!! When Shen is wanting him to kill his teammates and he throws his torch down and is like NO, aw man so good

edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS3vRuZBlLA

And this FUCKIN GOOD poo poo

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ImpAtom posted:

It's loving amazing he skated for this long. The stories about him being a huge creeper have been around for years and I wouldn't have figured an anime VA had the sway to protect himself, but I guess it shows how entrenched this bullshit is.

Apparently part of it is that for some ungodly reason the Execs at Funi really, really likes him and he exploited his fanatical fanbase to go after people trying to bring up his creepy behavior. That's the worst part of it, he's exploiting naive, and often socially awkward teenage girls to accept parties in his hotel and tear down other girls trying to point out that he's a creep.

Now that people in the industry are the ones talking people are finally doing something about it. I hope Funi realize their pet VA needs to be taken behind the shed so to speak.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

I kind of wish 2 and 3 could have been synthesized into one movie, because 2 had a great villain but otherwise mostly rehashing Po coming to terms with being the chosen one while 3's villain was pretty underwhelming but the stuff with the panda village and his dads was very good. I get that there was some behind-the-scenes stuff with them having to recast Kai late in development (not that JK Simmons wasn't fine in the role) but the entire movie kind of felt like a victory lap based on the strength of the first two movies and his power being summoning palette swaps of the existing characters felt like an extension of that, especially compared to how creative Tai Lung and Lord Shen were both visually and how they tied into the actual plot and used actual kung fu versus just straight up magical powers. And none of the Seven Samurai stuff with them training the other pandas to fight had any payoff near Po learning inner peace at the climax of two.

That said I do really enjoy how 3 handled his biological dad entering the picture without downplaying his adoptive father. Also how they had the self-control/respect to not sex up his love interest and instead have Mei Mei be similarly lumpy and brow-heavy just like Po, though after both Tigress and Tai Lung were conspicuously designed to avoid being furry bait they earned the benefit of the doubt.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont care if KFP3 tackled it well, I hate that anything was given to his biological past and I couldnt get past it and with such a dull villain it didnt help.

The name Meimei makes sense but also is really close to naming a male love interest with no other role in the film "Dick" that Im not sure that isnt what they were going for.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Robindaybird posted:

Thing is though that Hiccup basically already is the chieftan for all intents and purposes; the entirety of Berk, including his father, have followed his lead for the complete transformation of their society.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I have no idea where this came up, but I swear I heard somewhere that Dean DeBlois is a major rear end in a top hat or something and I can't find it anywhere.

Am I just losing my poo poo and thinking up fake stories or something? Asked my roommate and he doesn't know but "wouldn't be surprised if it was true".

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barudak posted:

I dont care if KFP3 tackled it well, I hate that anything was given to his biological past and I couldnt get past it and with such a dull villain it didnt help.

The name Meimei makes sense but also is really close to naming a male love interest with no other role in the film "Dick" that Im not sure that isnt what they were going for.

It might have been, because the whole thing with Meimei is that she isn't actually Po's love interest: she clearly has a crush on him, but it turns out he doesn't like her that way and by the end of the movie she's already moved on to a new guy. It was a pretty good subversion of the whole "Male member of species instantly falls in love with first female member of species they meet" trope.

Edit:

I just realized I forgot to explain the joke with Meimei's name: in Chinese Meimei can either mean "pretty girl" or "little sister" depending on how you pronounce it. So, the joke is that at first it looks like Meimei is going to be Po's love interest, but he actually thinks of her as a sister and nothing romantic happens.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 5, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yes, but the layer of the joke which is dirty that I was referncing is if you put a "xiao", meaning small or little, in front of meimei its slang for vagina

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

I liked the first Dragon but I never understood why people wanted sequels let alone a full trilogy. It was a movie that was good in spite of it's super generic Vikings meet Pokemon fantasy setting and there wasn't much else to expand on that wasn't already covered in the first movie. Like even Shrek and Kung Fu Panda had diminishing returns despite having a ton of built in sequel hooks (every fairy tale ever and all of kung fu ever, respectively), all Dragons had was throwing more and bigger dragons at problems and Hiccup doing generic Hero's Journey stuff.

It was really simple, yeah, but it was done with heart,and has a great message.

The music was great, the flying was great, Stoick was a believable antagonistic dad who still wanted what was best for Hiccup (and I love how during the final fight he doesn't gently caress around once he realises what's up, and immediately dives into the sea to rescue Toothless). I like how Hiccup tries and fails constantly, and we see him experiment and develop all of cool gadgets. I like that it has the balls to have permanent consequences, with the loss of his leg, but never treats his disability as something to be ashamed of. Everyone talks things over and is honest with their loved ones (eventually) and its charming and sweet.

It's partly why the third one sticks out so much by having Astrid reduced to motivating and guiding Her Man, when the first two films were noticeable in how they didn't do that. She, and the light Fury, are little more than goals and accessories to the men, half mother, half lover. Its no more regressive than a million over movies (bo peep in toy story, everything in shrek) but it's a bit of a letdown.

I lost my mind when the Light Fury did the flppphhphht face though. Easily worth the price of admission.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

It really should have been this. It felt like they were dangling it in our faces, to the point where I was genuinely surprised when it finished without hiccup telling Astrid that he needs her to be their military leader (at the very least). That wasn't the only problem, but it's pretty representative of my broader feelings, that the movie offers up a lot of elements that I really like and feels poised for greatness, but just whiffs the delivery slightly. It's like you can see the ghost of what could have been. That ends up being more frustrating and disappointing than if it just sucked completely.

Kung Fu Panda 2 is somewhat similar, delivering on most fronts but failing to do anything thematically that wasn't better handled by the first. The third was a significant downgrade in most ways and very obviously a cheaper production. But still, there is something about both panda and dragon that feels like wasted potential to deliver trilogies that are actually justified, unlike the Pixar sequels that have all felt like lazy cash-ins from the moment they are announced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barudak posted:

Yes, but the layer of the joke which is dirty that I was referencing is if you put a "xiao", meaning small or little, in front of meimei its slang for vagina

Ah, I didn't know about that part.