Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

DigitalMocking posted:

that should take like 4 hours, tops?

I don't think I could get it all done correctly with 10 minutes per server to configure them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You don't have enough of the deployment automated then

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Several Hundred Tickets Came In...

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

Well, my sympathies. For living in T-bay, obviously :v:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

You don't have enough of the deployment automated then

You're not wrong; we don't have any deployment of servers automated at this time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Canuck-Errant posted:

Well, my sympathies. For living in T-bay, obviously :v:

I don't actually work for the phone company, so it's not really our problem, but we do get all the tickets coming in from the people whose phone systems or networks we manage wondering why their phones don't work.

From what I hear the city crew completely severed a conduit carrying major fibre and copper links when they were trying to dig up a busted water main with a backhoe. I don't envy the line guys who have to try to fix that -- since there's still a broken water main there. And it's snowing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Entropic posted:

Wait, are you saying it's NOT DNS this time? :thunk:

:v:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

iospace posted:

Wait, are you saying it's NOT DNS this time? :thunk:

:v:

Technically DNS also isn't working, so yeah, it was still DNS.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

I don't actually work for the phone company, so it's not really our problem, but we do get all the tickets coming in from the people whose phone systems or networks we manage wondering why their phones don't work.

From what I hear the city crew completely severed a conduit carrying major fibre and copper links when they were trying to dig up a busted water main with a backhoe. I don't envy the line guys who have to try to fix that -- since there's still a broken water main there. And it's snowing.

Oh, no, absolutely that's gonna suck for the teleco guys; I feel for anyone doing splices in this poo poo. Wasn't T-Bay under a freezing rain warning today too, or was that further east?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Entropic posted:

Tell the attending techs to take pictures, because if they can't drag slack cable into place and splice, then it's gotta be pretty spectacular.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

kensei posted:

You're not wrong; we don't have any deployment of servers automated at this time.

Do you at least have a virtual environment with templates you can roll out? Or are you literally going to have to build a bunch of physical servers, cos that would suck and I would say something like "welcome to 2005".

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tell the attending techs to take pictures, because if they can't drag slack cable into place and splice, then it's gotta be pretty spectacular.

Surely if you can drag the cables next to each other, the burst water main will provide water, the snow will freeze the water and therefore the cables being in place will freeze back together and we will all go home on time tonight.

Obviously.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

angry armadillo posted:

Surely if you can drag the cables next to each other, the burst water main will provide water, the snow will freeze the water and therefore the cables being in place will freeze back together and we will all go home on time tonight.

Obviously.

And ice is transparent, so even the fiber cables will work!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Dunno-Lars posted:

And ice is transparent, so even the fiber cables will work!
Ticket Open Date: March 15, 2019
Description: Ice join of fiber cable from Feb 2019 has melted, connection lost

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
An email came in: "Can't connect to share".
A reply went out within 2 minutes: "Please log off and on again, it'll reconnect the shares".

A phone call came in 5 minutes later from the same user:
"Can't connect to share".
"I know, I already replied to your email".
"Oh, didn't see that yet".

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Well about a dozen tickets have come in saying users cannot search contacts in Skype/Lync. The first few I was alright with repairing Lync address book caches, but I guess there's probably something else going on.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Latest update: “flushing ice and water from ducts from each manholes. More updates to follow.”

Someone’s having a fun day.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

I've had similar happen - manhole in a lower section of road got flooded, then temps dropped. Literally froze into an underground ice cube and split every box/cable in there.

IIRC, it was about 12 hours with a steam and pump truck to just get access to the manhole to assess damages and start repairs.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
You know who else is having a fun day?

An engineer having his second day on the job just deleted a production S3 bucket for a customer of mine.

A ticket comes in: is there any way for you to recover this bucket?

Me: nope

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Agrikk posted:

An engineer having his second day on the job just deleted a production S3 bucket for a customer of mine.

That's a feels bad.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Welp, at least I know I'm still human, even if I am jaded - because I emphasize deeply with this person.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I almost go out of my way to never touch Delete on anything not belonging to me because that feeling is horrible.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Drop the permissions off the thing first, the cost of a few more days storage isn't going to ruin people's lives.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

Drop the permissions off the thing first, the cost of a few more days storage isn't going to ruin people's lives.

...and guess which customer has been putting off a well-architected discussion for the last few months?

One guess what topic suddenly became a critical meeting to be scheduled ASAP.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

Versioning isn't on?

edit: oh lmao he deleted the entire bucket. I disable that at the policy level

http://awspolicygen.s3.amazonaws.com/policygen.html

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

sixth and maimed posted:

An email came in: "Can't connect to share".
A reply went out within 2 minutes: "Please log off and on again, it'll reconnect the shares".

A phone call came in 5 minutes later from the same user:
"Can't connect to share".
"I know, I already replied to your email".
"Oh, didn't see that yet".

See, what happened is that you didn't fix their problem. You told them to do something. Firing a complaint at you out of a cannon and then staring at their computer until the lights start blinking is the most they can be expected to do, after all.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Versioning isn't on?

edit: oh lmao he deleted the entire bucket. I disable that at the policy level

http://awspolicygen.s3.amazonaws.com/policygen.html

So many questions:

What were they doing giving a second day employee elevated access?

more importantly we provide so many means for customers to protection themselves 1. MFA on delete, 2. CRR, 3. Versioning. 4. Lifecycle policies. etc. Why weren’t any of these in place?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's the cloud though so you don't need to worry about backups

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Agrikk posted:

So many questions:

more importantly we provide so many means for customers to protection themselves 1. MFA on delete, 2. CRR, 3. Versioning. 4. Lifecycle policies. etc. Why weren’t any of these in place?

You know the answer.

:effort:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Agrikk posted:

So many questions:

Holy poo poo. I feel like a company giving that many user Riggs day two will not have a blameless RCA for everyone to learn from this....

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Today, a domain policy applied to the Phase 1 patch testing group in AD somehow ended up turning off the local SYSTEM's ability to do things like "turn on the DHCP service" and "start the Windows/Office licensing services". For people both within and not within that group.

I'm not sure how this happened, but being on the service desk, I had to be the one to tell people that no, Office is broken for more than just you and no, we don't have a fix or an ETA.

Last week, someone somehow got assigned a group for a completely different division which made them see a bunch of completely empty mapped drives instead of their own.

Also last week, the domain admins added distribution groups to printer security groups for a new site and I was the one to figure out that that doesn't work, which is why the users weren't seeing the printers.

I think I know why people jump ship from the department's IT staff given the slightest opportunity to go elsewhere.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Agrikk posted:

So many questions:

We were spending too much money on storage so last year someone went through and put lifecycle policies on everything in s3. One of those buckets that got a 14 day policy had a prefix where our feature flags were dumped from a database into a flat file each time the database updated, that ECS containers would pull on launch. I'm sure you already guessed what happened - over the holidays nobody turned on or off any feature flags and the file got wiped and everything exploded. It was quick to diagnose and fix so it ended up just being hilarious - the guy who set up the lifecycle policies doesn't even work there anymore so we couldn't give him poo poo and make him buy the on-call a beer.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

It isn't an exact solution to "LOL, the actual bucket", but few things are as easy to roll back as repointing DNS to the new box.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

A ticket came in from the wife. And she gave me the “I don’t care. just make the internet work” line as I tried to troubleshoot her issue.

She had some important work video conference call to be on or some poo poo. I am forty seven years old and I don’t think I have ever reverted to petulant and contrary teenager faster.

“Honey. Love of my life. My sweet. Your loving problem is not my loving problem. Either you lighten up or I’ll go back to my book and hot tea on the couch.”

This is why I mandated that we both have our own office when we were looking for a new house.

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 6, 2019

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Agrikk posted:

A ticket came in from the wife. And she gave me the “I don’t care. just make the internet work” line as I tried to troubleshoot her issue.

She had some important work video conference call to be on or some poo poo. I am forty seven years old and I don’t think I have ever reverted to petulant and contrary teenager faster.

“Honey. Love of my life. My sweet. Your loving problem is not my loving problem. Either you lighten up or I’ll go back to my book and hot tea on the couch.”

This is why I mandated that we both have our own office when we were looking for a new house.

:drat:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And he spent the next 4 weeks on that couch.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

GreenNight posted:

And he spent the next 4 weeks months on that couch.
Fixed

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Agrikk posted:

I didn't realize that when I got married, I'd be signing up for a lifetime of end user support for my wife's parents. I didn't know people could be so bad at technology and I have literally had to explain to people that physically moving the mouse around is how you move the cursor on the screen, and pressing down on the front-left or front-right side actuates a button that performs an action.

On the up side, I refused to support their printer and just ordered a Brother Laser Jet MFP with next day shipping. :unsmith:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

On the up side, I refused to support their printer and just ordered a Brother Laser Jet MFP with next day shipping. :unsmith:

Cheap LJ printers are killing off inkjet printers in such a lovely way. I have a color HP LJ that I picked up open-box on Amazon 4 years ago for $125. Best $125 I've ever spent. When my in-laws' inkjet printer bit it, I got them the MFP version that uses the exact same cartridges and it ended up being the same price.

Death to all inkjet.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I have several years of networking experience and it still took me a year to run cat6 12 feet across the "computer room" for my wife's PC because :effort:. So like, 25 feet of cable around the perimeter including around door trim.

The last thing I want to do when I get home from work, especially now that we have a toddler, is more troubleshooting.