Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

psydude posted:

If you recline your seat in economy class, you're probably a bad person.

Or just a tired person who wants to take a nap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I always look behind me before I lean my seat back. But if you're not an NBA player or on your laptop, I'm probably gonna recline my seat on an intercon.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Or just a tired person who wants to take a nap.

My thoughts on this are that the average domestic economy class seat has like 2 inches of pitch, so it's not really going to make a difference in your napping abilities, but it will probably disproportionately impact the comfort of the person behind you.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

psydude posted:

I'm 6'5" and my knees almost always touch the seat in front of me, so when someone reclines I end up as a load bearing member of their seatback.

:hfive: same height, don't fit in poo poo buddies! :hfive:

psydude posted:

My thoughts on this are that the average domestic economy class seat has like 2 inches of pitch, so it's not really going to make a difference in your napping abilities, but it will probably disproportionately impact the comfort of the person behind you.

I generally agree but it varies widely based on the seat. Some of the newer seats slide the seat pan foward so the seatback doesn't move backward in a meaningful way. Then there are the older seats on various Airbii and 737 variants that have you in the lap of the person behind you.

In all cases, I employ KillHour's method of checking behind you and generally trying to avoid being a douche about it. A little of that goes a long way.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

psydude posted:

I think there's a pretty big difference in sleep between the two even though the recline is minor. I'm going to avoid being a dick and slamming it back, but on a red-eye I'm going to recline at least a bit so the seat isn't vertical. I'm 6'4" so pretty much in the same situation as well.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
It’s kind of ridiculous that Southwest’s Max 8 737 doesn’t have any power outlets in 2019

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Lote posted:

It’s kind of ridiculous that Southwest’s Max 8 737 doesn’t have any power outlets in 2019

Alaska just putting them in first makes me irrationally angry.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Anza Borrego posted:

Alaska just putting them in first makes me irrationally angry.

Does anybody do an E175 with power in economy?

Alaska has been making a lot of lovely moves lately, but I'm pretty sure the only planes they fly that don't have power at every seat are regional jets/turboprops and a few really old 737s. The E175 might be really nice for what it is, but it's still a baby plane.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Tab8715 posted:

Anyone else find it hilarious at all the people that don't care for the "Your phone must be on airplane mode while in-flight?" thing? I've had multiple people get, pick up and start phone calls once we hit cell reception.

People are tired of this being banned without any evidence it can or does cause problems.

If it's a real threat we need a more clear statement after 15 years.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

porkface posted:

People are tired of this being banned without any evidence it can or does cause problems.

If it's a real threat we need a more clear statement after 15 years.

It’s not an FAA thing, it’s an FCC thing. The phone connecting to and handing off between different towers at several hundred miles per hour can wreck havoc on each towers’ capacity and throughput.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

creationist believer posted:

It’s not an FAA thing, it’s an FCC thing. The phone connecting to and handing off between different towers at several hundred miles per hour can wreck havoc on each towers’ capacity and throughput.

I'm skeptical that 200 people (per flight) attempting and failing to connect to towers causes that much havoc given how many people towers service.

Do you have any resources that explain this phenomenon?

edit: Ok I found some material and will read.

porkface fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 5, 2019

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lote posted:

I just flew on a 767 that had DC power outlets under the seats. You know, like the cigarette lighter plugs.

Upgrade your transatlantic fleet, American.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
God I have to go to Manitoba. It's a 9 to 11 hour travel time out of MIA and than I have to drive two hours to my client. I'm gunna have to leave like....Saturday. gently caress me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
ha ha and then you are in manitoba

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

God I have to go to Manitoba. It's a 9 to 11 hour travel time out of MIA and than I have to drive two hours to my client. I'm gunna have to leave like....Saturday. gently caress me

If you want I can post some pictures from Miami when you're there so you don't get homesick.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

If you want I can post some pictures from Miami when you're there so you don't get homesick.

Just endless pictures of old shirtless dudes, iguanas and rented Lamborghinis.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a co-worker who has a condo in Miami right on the beach. He likes sending me pictures of the ocean from his home office on like the 40th floor when I'm stuck somewhere lovely.

On the other hand, he went from work site to work site without a home for 5 years before he bought it so he deserves it. He once lived in a Mexican Federal prison for 9 months doing work there.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Lote posted:

I’m looking at you Japan Airlines. They do a good job recreating the onsen experience.

I avoid JAL at all costs after having the most miserable flight of my life while sweating profusely at 35,000 feet for 8 hours. Never again.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Its-15 degrees do I need to wear a suit. Like what the gently caress. I dont own anything nearly sufficient to exist in that weather. Can I show up to the client like an eskimo how the gently caress do you exist

I've never driven in snow.

Guys wtf

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

winter clothing:

you wear your normal business attire as your lowest layer.
wear a heavy coat, bring a scarf, hat and gloves. you wear these over your normal business attire. you can wear snow boots or like hiking boots if you don't have real boots, bring your dress shoes because almost all offices in the frozen north have a big coat and boot room.

driving in snow:

if it's snowing, slow down. snow that is slushy and dark in color is more slippery than white, fresh snow. try not to do too many things at once - for instance if you are making a right turn, you are going to want to slow allll the way down before initating the turn. You can use the gas, use the brake, or steer, but doing more than one at the same time may cause you to lose traction. give yourself plenty of space and anticipate what you are going to do and do things gradually. engine brake while going downhill if the car allows it. i believe Manitoba has a snow tires law so that will help you out as your rental will be required to have snow tires. If you have an AWD or 4WD rental car that may help you some, but it is also a good way to get in to trouble. AWD/4WD will help with the go part of driving, but not turn or stop. Try not to stop at the base of steep snow covered hills, etc. since it may be hard to get going again. CLEAN ALL THE SNOW OFF YOUR CAR BEFORE DRIVING IT if you do not do this i will come to Manitoba and murder you.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Its-15 degrees do I need to wear a suit. Like what the gently caress. I dont own anything nearly sufficient to exist in that weather. Can I show up to the client like an eskimo how the gently caress do you exist

Spend the money and get a real coat.

Spend the money and get a real pair of boots.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Waroduce posted:

I've never driven in snow.

Guys wtf

If you're driving to the middle of nowhere in Manitoba I'm guessing you aren't meeting with executives. Go to REI and buy a ski jacket and some thermals to wear under your pants. Also, in Canada it's perfectly acceptable to wear snow boots with slacks to work in the winter.

Canada is cold enough that the snow is typically powder, so it's easy to drive on. If you get stuck in a snow drift, remember to turn OFF the traction control while trying to get out (if your vehicle has a differential lock, make sure you turn it on).

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 5, 2019

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

don't forget to plug in your engine block at least an hour before you need to leave for work

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
I am generally a believer in the "don't recline your seat in coach" philosophy. The one time I decided to break that rule I was sitting on a Virgin America transcon flight and I had the entertainment box or something under the seat in front of me, so I could not extend my feet AT ALL. I turned around and nicely asked the guy behind me if he'd mind if I reclined the seat and he pretended he couldn't hear me, so I just did it as little and as slowly and gradually as possible.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What the gently caress is plugging an engine block

I touch computers my dude

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

What the gently caress is plugging an engine block

I touch computers my dude

Engine block heater so you can start the car in the winter morning. Uncommon in US cars but practically standard equipment in Canada.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've lived in the Midwest over a decade and I've never plugged in my car once. Just invest in a battery that doesn't suck.

On another note, has anyone been down to Oklahoma City or San Antonio? The highway and interstates are deadly terrifying without a dedicated merge lane or do several people die in massive crashes that's normalized?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

I've lived in the Midwest over a decade and I've never plugged in my car once. Just invest in a battery that doesn't suck.

The engine block heater isn't about the battery. It's about keeping the fuel (diesel and, if you're far north enough, gasoline) from gelling so you can start your engine.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I will never live anywhere it gets regularly under 70.

Outside shot at a vacation place in Denver but lol people who live in snow and winter

Who the gently caress arrived in like.....Wisconsin and was like....this is great. Let's stop here.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Waroduce posted:

Outside shot at a vacation place in Denver but lol people who live in snow and winter

Having 2.5 season without swamp rear end is great.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

psydude posted:

The engine block heater isn't about the battery. It's about keeping the fuel (diesel and, if you're far north enough, gasoline) from gelling so you can start your engine.

In climates like that, its more about oil and the block itself. Thats why a lot of aftermarket block heaters will go down the oil fill tube to keep it viscous.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Waroduce posted:

I will never live anywhere it gets regularly under 70.

Who the gently caress arrived in like.....Wisconsin and was like....this is great. Let's stop here.

:shrug: I lived in Madison for 5 years and in many ways, I miss it. Traffic was easy, airport was great, COL more reasonable, and salary higher than what I'd get on the east or west coast.

What I don't understand now are people past 30 saying "yes, I think I would like to live in a 600SF 1BR with a roommate in the Bay Area."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Those people are thinking to themselves "I only have to do it for a couple years until we get bought out by Google/Amazon/Apple and then I'll be a billionaire." Every single one of them thinks this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

and salary higher than what I'd get on the east or west coast

medicine is wacky

i get to go to China this month for a 2 hours meeting :suicide:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Residency Evil posted:

:shrug: I lived in Madison for 5 years and in many ways, I miss it. Traffic was easy, airport was great, COL more reasonable, and salary higher than what I'd get on the east or west coast.

What I don't understand now are people past 30 saying "yes, I think I would like to live in a 600SF 1BR with a roommate in the Bay Area."

Sup bro :cool:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Iowa Fuckin City.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Residency Evil posted:

'Cause California is a freaking great place to live minus traffic and rent.

KillHour posted:

Those people are thinking to themselves "I only have to do it for a couple years until we get bought out by Google/Amazon/Apple and then I'll be a billionaire." Every single one of them thinks this.

Yup but on the flip side if you fail then you still were living in California.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Tab8715 posted:

Different strokes, but I'm not sure I'd call sharing a 1BR apartment with a roommate when I'm 35 "living," but YMMV.

I liked the Bay Area when I was interning during college summers though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tab8715 posted:

just visiting CA this week for business.

Way colder than expected, and your cost of living/cost of stuff here is stupid.

thanks, I'll take FL any day over this weird rear end place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sneakyfrog posted:

just visiting CA this week for business.

Way colder than expected, and your cost of living/cost of stuff here is stupid.

thanks, I'll take FL any day over this weird rear end place.

bye