Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Bardeh posted:

Sometimes you just gotta wrestle with 'em. It's not much fun, but what can you do?

I tell my son "don't touch the poop." Works just as well as when you say it online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
We turned a corner last night and hopefully she’s on the mend.

I let her lay on me chest to chest while I was in the recliner watching tv for several hours. It quickly became the longest sleep she’s had in 2 days. And entirely cough free. I went to bed at midnight and husband took over.

He fed her small amounts every time she woke up and her eating increased. Eventually she didn’t need to be on his chest and she fell asleep in his arms on her back.

I woke up this morning and used the nosefrida, then we all went to nap and she slept in her bassinet! :)

She’s still coughing a bit but it’s more like it was on day 2. Hopefully tomorrow is back to day 1 and we are clear on Tuesday!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
General advice to stop your 1 year old pooping in the bath?

She's done it a few times. Last night I thought she was just farting with confidence until a log dropped.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa

Heners_UK posted:

She's done it a few times. Last night I thought she was just farting with confidence until a log dropped.

Not sure there's much you can do other than wait for them to grow out of it. The bath relaxes them and sometimes this leads to poos. You can't really ask a 1-year-old if their bowels are empty and it's safe for them to have a bath. It happened a few times with my eldest; the final time she was old enough to be a bit perturbed by it. She was saying "poo-poo in bah" for a couple of hours afterwards.

Weirdly it never happened once with my younger one. He was an all-round easy baby, though. From stories I'd heard I was worried about the challenge of changing his nappies vs his sister as I'd heard I stood a good chance of having to deal with him pissing all over the place, but it never happened.

Bottom line, and I think this speaks to a lot of issues I read about in here: it gets easier and these things will pass as they get older. Like the illness thing. It's stressful as hell when your tiny kid is suffering, but this is par for the course when they're really little. I remember a period of about two thirds of a year when my daughter was ill practically without any respite - one cold followed another. I remember her screaming when she had colic and my wife and I looking at each other helplessly (again, never happened with my son).

But it all passed, their immune systems became less puny, the bowel control reached civilised levels and now all of that is is water under the bridge. There are new challenges, of course, and more complex ones, but that's part of the journey of parenthood.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sarah posted:

We turned a corner last night and hopefully she’s on the mend.

I let her lay on me chest to chest while I was in the recliner watching tv for several hours. It quickly became the longest sleep she’s had in 2 days. And entirely cough free. I went to bed at midnight and husband took over.

He fed her small amounts every time she woke up and her eating increased. Eventually she didn’t need to be on his chest and she fell asleep in his arms on her back.

I woke up this morning and used the nosefrida, then we all went to nap and she slept in her bassinet! :)

She’s still coughing a bit but it’s more like it was on day 2. Hopefully tomorrow is back to day 1 and we are clear on Tuesday!

Glad to hear she turned a corner. That's always good! Sorry she had bronchiolitis, that's rough for sure and you can't help but feel awful for your kid because they don't feel good and they don't know why.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Heners_UK posted:

Sit her on the potty before hand? It’s always good to work that into your routine somewhere. We read a book or two with her sitting.

pseudomonas
Mar 31, 2010

skeetied posted:

Sit her on the potty before hand? It’s always good to work that into your routine somewhere. We read a book or two with her sitting.

Ya, that's what I do with my 10mo old who loves to poo poo in the bath. Works about 70% of the time

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anyone with any advice on a rash that has turned into open sores? His diaper sticks to it and makes it worse, almost seems like it rips his skin off. It's raw and hurts my kid when I change his diaper. Luckily, pee is sterile and so we don't always have to wipe him with a wet diaper and we add more desitin as needed instead of wiping off, but this isn't enough. He's had thrush for over a week and while the nystatin is helping in his mouth, he puts his hands in his mouth and they go straight to his junk when I'm changing his diaper. So, he has what looks to be a yeast infection that nystatin cream isn't working on at all, plus the open sores. He has a bowel movement each morning almost like clockwork, which does nothing to help the sores either.

In addition to nystatin and desitin, we've been adding vaseline to it for an extra barrier of protection against the germs from his poop hindering his healing, but we are pretty close to taking him to his pediatrician if the sores and yeast infection don't improve soon.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

We used Bepanthan as a base layer then put Sudocreme over the top of it.

We would just layer the stuff on if it had started going into open sores.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

life is killing me posted:

Anyone with any advice on a rash that has turned into open sores? His diaper sticks to it and makes it worse, almost seems like it rips his skin off. It's raw and hurts my kid when I change his diaper. Luckily, pee is sterile and so we don't always have to wipe him with a wet diaper and we add more desitin as needed instead of wiping off, but this isn't enough. He's had thrush for over a week and while the nystatin is helping in his mouth, he puts his hands in his mouth and they go straight to his junk when I'm changing his diaper. So, he has what looks to be a yeast infection that nystatin cream isn't working on at all, plus the open sores. He has a bowel movement each morning almost like clockwork, which does nothing to help the sores either.

In addition to nystatin and desitin, we've been adding vaseline to it for an extra barrier of protection against the germs from his poop hindering his healing, but we are pretty close to taking him to his pediatrician if the sores and yeast infection don't improve soon.

I'd go ahead and go. Ours had a bad one that just wasn't getting better despite a variety of OTC antifungals, and we got a couple scrips that helped clear things up. Otherwise, diaper-free time is recommended often, get it all a chance to air out and whatnot. I think baking soda baths are supposed to help as well, but if you're looking at open sores and a week+ with no improvement, I'd see the doc.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

That sounds rough, poor guy. To clarify, you're using nystatin just in his mouth? I'd go get some from the ped for the rash as well. We battled satellite yeast infections (and oozing from his thigh roll crevices :gonk:) for almost a month, and only really got anywhere when we finally got a prescription cream. Vaseline, rinsing with water instead of wipes, and open air naked butt time as much as you can until then are the usual suggestions. Good luck.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Mix 1 part aquaphor and 1 part maalox. Our pediatrician gave us the option of writing it as a prescription and having the pharmacy mix a bunch of it or just letting me mix it myself. I had the pharmacy do it because I was super tired, but he said it’s easy to do.

She had open sores because I was on an antibiotic and breastfeeding, giving her an awful diaper rash that we couldn’t get rid of. She was healed in less than 24 hours.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks all for the replies! We now have a new set of problems with our tiny human now (just this past weekend he started) pulling himself up to a standing position, and apparently that's all he is doing at daycare--he fell yesterday when a mat slipped under his hands and hit his head on the floor and apparently put a dent in it. So that's fun. He doesn't have a big bruise and we debated urgent care last night, but daycare and the incident report said his pupils were dilated to light and responsive and he was acting normal afterward and slept the whole night. He acted normal this morning also, but my wife said when she dropped him off today that his teachers were shocked we brought him in. So that's a new question: is a dent in his forehead something that needs to be fixed somehow? Or will it fix itself? Would y'all even take yours to the doc if this happened? We just aren't sure, since he is acting normal. But it makes us nervous now that he's standing up all day long, and it made us nervous even before the bump. Honestly I'm of the opinion that he's gonna be fine and this is going to happen to kiddos when they are just learning how to stand, but I don't want to just overrule my wife's concern either.

Oodles posted:

We used Bepanthan as a base layer then put Sudocreme over the top of it.

We would just layer the stuff on if it had started going into open sores.

Are those RX? I haven't heard of those.

Ben Nevis posted:

I'd go ahead and go. Ours had a bad one that just wasn't getting better despite a variety of OTC antifungals, and we got a couple scrips that helped clear things up. Otherwise, diaper-free time is recommended often, get it all a chance to air out and whatnot. I think baking soda baths are supposed to help as well, but if you're looking at open sores and a week+ with no improvement, I'd see the doc.

We might try diaper-free time, is this with clothes on or just naked baby? We had considered baking soda baths too, and if it's something our doc or the triage nurse might tell us to do anyway, it's worth a try before trying to get his ped involved.

2DEG posted:

That sounds rough, poor guy. To clarify, you're using nystatin just in his mouth? I'd go get some from the ped for the rash as well. We battled satellite yeast infections (and oozing from his thigh roll crevices :gonk:) for almost a month, and only really got anywhere when we finally got a prescription cream. Vaseline, rinsing with water instead of wipes, and open air naked butt time as much as you can until then are the usual suggestions. Good luck.

No, we have a bottle of nystatin into which we dip a q-tip and swab around his mouth, yes--but two weeks prior we got nystatin ointment for a pretty bad rash in his nether regions and butt, which we were using liberally and it cleared up in a couple days. They gave us 2-3 tubes of it, so we took one to his daycare as well and as far as I know they've been applying it during diaper changes and we've been doing it at home after these bumps popped up. They aren't affecting these bumps at all, so if it's a yeast infection from him putting his hands in his mouth and touching his nether regions (both of which he does frequently, the latter during diaper changes and after baths), then it's a pretty monster infection to shrug off nystatin. So, it may not be a yeast infection, his daycare teachers just mentioned it looked like one. Since these bumps popped up, though, of course any thrush that had gone away keeps kind of coming back and it hasn't gone away completely because of his hands always going south and then up north and vice versa. If we run out of the nystatin he will be heading to the doctor anyway in case nothing else works. We will start running his wipes under warm water to get rid of the alcohol (we have 1% alcohol and 99% water wipes, but I'm sure it stings on his sores).

Sarah posted:

Mix 1 part aquaphor and 1 part maalox. Our pediatrician gave us the option of writing it as a prescription and having the pharmacy mix a bunch of it or just letting me mix it myself. I had the pharmacy do it because I was super tired, but he said it’s easy to do.

She had open sores because I was on an antibiotic and breastfeeding, giving her an awful diaper rash that we couldn’t get rid of. She was healed in less than 24 hours.

Oooh, this is a good suggestion too. I wonder why Maalox? Is it the magnesium in it or something? Why ever it works, these are all things we will probably try in the next couple of days, but this is one I haven't heard and if it worked for yours then it can't hurt right?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Oooh, this is a good suggestion too. I wonder why Maalox? Is it the magnesium in it or something? Why ever it works, these are all things we will probably try in the next couple of days, but this is one I haven't heard and if it worked for yours then it can't hurt right?

This is an old school sort of rec. My mom had recommended just milk of magnesia on the spots. Similar to the baking soda baths, it's a base and can help neutralize any acid from excrement, and yeast generally prefer a slightly more acidic environment.

quote:

We might try diaper-free time, is this with clothes on or just naked baby?

We'd put a shirt on if warranted, but generally just kinda hanging out either outside if it's suitable or on a large beach towel or something.

On the dented head, if possible I'd just call the doc and see what they think. Something like that I think they'd be able to tell us over the phone whether it warrants a visit or not.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
We have been doing nappy free time to try and clear up a minor nappy rash and just saying, little boys are terrible about this. My boy peed on his own face twice when the pressure of the flow was too mighty for the preventative wipe we'd put over him.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tamarillo posted:

We have been doing nappy free time to try and clear up a minor nappy rash and just saying, little boys are terrible about this. My boy peed on his own face twice when the pressure of the flow was too mighty for the preventative wipe we'd put over him.

Yeah, it's crazy. Our 9mo old has basically stopped peeing freely even in the bath, and when he was still peeing in the bath he had already stopped peeing when his diaper was opened so it feels like we are finally past it. What we'd started doing was putting his new diaper underneath him, opening his soiled one and wiping with a wipe over his pee-pee, and then we could just remove the old diaper really quickly and strap his clean one down before he got a chance to pee. This worked most times but sometimes he'd pee even with a wipe over him.

I'm glad pee is sterile, so that we don't have to wipe our little guy a whole lot for wet diapers when we need what is left of the desitin to stay there.

Hi_Bears
Mar 6, 2012

My 3 year old peed up his own nose in the bath the other day. He thought it was hilarious and also told me he tasted it. No wonder we’re not making any headway with potty training, the ick factor is completely nonexistent!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Hate to break it to this thread, but pee isn't sterile.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/turns-out-urine-isnt-actually-sterile-180954809/

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Welp, guess I need to stop drinking it...

...is what a friend just said

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Update on rash and head bump:

Head bump is just a knot, moves with skin when you push the skin up. He's totally fine and doc said of course this isn't the last time he's going to bump his head because he's going to practice this new skill of standing up a whole lot.

For rash, doctor said an extra barrier of protection in the form of Aquaphor or Vaseline along with Maalox wouldn't hurt, but prescribed Ketoconazole and Mupirocin (antifungal and antibacterial, respectively) for the rash, mixed together, and also a different oral suspension for his mouth that we only have to do once a day versus x4.

The little stinker woke up at 6am today and wouldn't go down for a nap at the usual time even though he was clearly tired, kept closing his eyes and then opening them to stare at me. First time he's been that combative against napping in a while--he didn't even squirm, just stayed still and calm in quiet rebellion as I rocked him. I finally gave up and got him dressed and ready for daycare, figuring I'd rather get him there early and have him sleep a little in the car (which he did) and then perk up at daycare where he NEVER naps. Better than the alternative--be a total mess of fussing and crying at home, be pleased with nothing, and finally go down for a two-hour nap during which I can't go out and run errands that need to be done. The lesser of two evils?

On another note, does anyone with a forehead thermometer know a different way to use it? I start at the forehead above the bridge of his nose, and run it slowly across to his hairline above his ear. But I keep getting consistent readings of 99.5-100.7 degrees no matter what, and even test it across my forehead where I don't get a fever reading. Am I doing this right, or do some kids just run hot because they've been in warm clothes or up against you for a while? Kid had a fever last week and was out of daycare two days and it was pure loving hell while I was alone with him and had no help. Now I'm wondering if he really had a fever last week since I still seem to get fever readings. He didn't have one yesterday at the doctor, and surprise, she checked his gums and didn't see any signs of imminent teeth like we thought there would be. She DID say that sometimes thrush and bacterial infections can cause low-grade fevers when the body is trying to fight it off, but again, yesterday he didn't have one. He has a doctor's note allowing him to go to daycare regardless, so I promise I'm not being irresponsible by taking him to daycare just to get some time to myself/time to work around the house and pick up a bit.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Are those RX? I haven't heard of those.

They’re UK brand names. So not sure what they may be called in your country.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

I still wouldn't worry about a baby getting his own pee on his face. Wipe it off, you'll wash him properly soon enough...

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

I gave up on the forehead thermometer. It never worked. I figured we didn’t all share a magical temperature bond between the 3 of us that we measured the same. Every time. We just do armpit now.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I still wouldn't worry about a baby getting his own pee on his face. Wipe it off, you'll wash him properly soon enough...

People used to (and probably still to this day) wipe babies faces with urine soaked diapers to clear up acne (urine contains urea which can be used to treat acne).

I don’t know why my A&P professor really needed to tell us this information but there it is.

Sarah fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 8, 2019

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
My 4 year old poo poo her pants today because she's sick and gambled on a fart. Upside, she used the term shart correctly. Downside, the managed to get poo poo all over herself in an attempt to clean up the mess.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

1up posted:

My 4 year old poo poo her pants today because she's sick and gambled on a fart. Upside, she used the term shart correctly. Downside, the managed to get poo poo all over herself in an attempt to clean up the mess.

For other acceptable terms:

https://twitter.com/jimjefferies/status/899479709045604352

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Forehead thermometer accuracy can be improved, but not perfected, by ensuring that you pass the scanner all the way from one temporal artery to the other— starting from the hairline in front of/above the ear and going all the way to the other— and then pressing it to the bony prominence behind/below the ear. Failure to hit all three of these points will prevent the thermometer from collecting all the necessary data, throwing off the average.

But even perfectly administered, a temporal artery temperature reading will be a bit unreliable. Axillary readings are best for kids too young for oral readings, and oral readings are the best for casual temp assessment.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I have an infrared thermometer that is super amazingly precise, and also seems to be accurate so long as you get EXACTLY the spot it wants. It's right in the middle of the X axis of the forehead, but closer down the Y towards the bridge of the nose.

If you try and use it other places, you can get wacky bad readings - like the time I thought my 3 year old had a fever of 107+ when she had the flu. Turns out it was ONLY 104.9, provided that it was measured from the exact correct location.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
We have one of those ones you put in the ear. It was a little pricey but it's so easy and accurate.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah maybe next time we try armpit. We have a paci thermometer, but pacis are hit-or-miss with our son. He is either in the mood for one or he isn't, and even when he is, he will keep reaching up to grab it and pull it out or use his lanyard to yank it out. Other times he bites it and doesn't suck on it. He is most consistent when he's sleeping--when he goes into a deep sleep it will just fall out of his mouth, but if he wakes up and shifts around, he will search for his paci, grab it, throw it in his mouth and settle into a new position and go back to dreamland but if we are rocking him to sleep he usually doesn't want his paci at all. When he's awake, though, he wouldn't hold in a paci thermometer long enough to get a reading, not to mention he prefers the Philips Avent pacifiers and the other types don't do it for him.

He's a weirdo.

BoogerPrincess
Jun 5, 2007

We hated our highly rated forehead thermometer. I ditched it for an in the ear thermometer. The kid hates it about 25% less than the forehead one. He is 3 so before I take his temp, he takes mine and his stuffed animals.

Diaper free time was the best thing for diaper rash. Lay down towels (puppy pads if you got em) and let the nino roam with their little chunky butt in the air.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bardeh posted:

We have one of those ones you put in the ear. It was a little pricey but it's so easy and accurate.

Yeah we use this too. Best $40 ever spent. Currently using it a ton right now. 4 year old has the flu. She had the flu shot so it's been really mild. Low fever that is usually only present at night and a cough/runny nose. Otherwise her attitude is at 110%.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Our 16w son slept around 7h in his first stretch of the night every day, which was nice since he never slept in the day. About a week ago, that changed again, so now he wakes every 3h again, and our night sleep is now poo poo again.

He sleeps next to our bed, and we have a night light on, since my girlfriend can't see anything in the dark. We usually bounce and rock him to sleep in our arms, which feels like it goes on for ever. I'd really like to teach him to fall asleep on his own, but he begins crying the minute we put him down. Same thing if we put him in his stroller. How do I do this?

Also, he's just been diagnosed with cerebral palsy affecting his arms, so that sucks too.

Boz0r fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Feb 9, 2019

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Any recommendations on a school backpack for a Kindergartener that won't fall apart in a few months and can be used for a couple years? I got my kid a Jansport which I thought was a good brand at the start of the school year and its just falling apart at the zippers.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Boz0r posted:

Our 16w son slept around 7h in his first stretch of the night every day, which was nice since he never slept in the day. About a week ago, that changed again, so now he wakes every 3h again, and our night sleep is now poo poo again.

He sleeps next to our bed, and we have a night light on, since my girlfriend can't see anything in the dark. We usually bounce and rock him to sleep in our arms, which feels like it goes on for ever. I'd really like to teach him to fall asleep on his own, but he begins crying the minute we put him down. Same thing if we put him in his stroller. How do I do this?

Also, he's just been diagnosed with cerebral palsy affecting his arms, so that sucks too.

Our pediatrician told us to use a 10 minute rule. When we lay her down in bed we leave the room completely for no less than 10 minutes. After 10 if she’s crying I go back in and comfort her, then start another 10 minutes. It’s really rare that happens these days. It took about 2 weeks of 10 minute rule for her, she started self soothing quicker as time went on. When I lay her down now she goes right to sleep.

We also got a Nested Bean swaddle, and when she grew out of that we got their sleep sack. It definitely works for her. The other night I forgot to put it on her and she was up in 2 hours. Put her back to bed and up again in 2 hours. Then I realized my mistake. Normally she sleeps 6 hours straight, wakes up to eat, then goes back to sleep for another 4-5 hours.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hopefully I’m overreacting and it’s just a phase, but I feel like I hosed up.

My 3 month old son wants nothing to do with a pacifier over the last few days. What I’ve always done with him is if he refuses the pacifier I keep it in his mouth and wriggle it around for a bit and usually he takes it and is fine, but my wife commented the other day that she thinks I’m holding it in his mouth a bit too long and she said that if someone was doing that to her, it would make her want it even less.

She hasn’t had any luck over the past few days with him taking a pacifier either, and reading online it looks like she’s right-don’t force it, don’t try when they’re crying a whole bunch, etc.

I thought I was doing the right thing because I’d try a pacifier and get him to take it after I had seen if he was hungry or needed changed, and it usually worked. I would say I would try holding it in his mouth for 30 seconds maybe? Sometimes he would be wailing the whole time and other times not so much.

The big thing with him now is he’s getting cranky from not taking naps. He just finished one of his leaps we think. We’re trying to put him down more for naps and follow a night time routine-we try to get him into bed by 8:30 pm and he usually sleeps until about 5 or 6 am, but usually that 30 minutes before nap time he is fussy as can be, and now the pacifier isn’t even working. But even when he’s calm now, he doesn’t seem to want anything to do with a pacifier.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Alterian posted:

Any recommendations on a school backpack for a Kindergartener that won't fall apart in a few months and can be used for a couple years? I got my kid a Jansport which I thought was a good brand at the start of the school year and its just falling apart at the zippers.

The lands end ones have held up great for my son. We are in year 2+ of using it and it still looks new. They run 40 and 50% off sales fairly regularly.

I've heard the pottery Barn kids ones are good too but don't have personal experience with them.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Sarah posted:

Our pediatrician told us to use a 10 minute rule. When we lay her down in bed we leave the room completely for no less than 10 minutes. After 10 if she’s crying I go back in and comfort her, then start another 10 minutes. It’s really rare that happens these days. It took about 2 weeks of 10 minute rule for her, she started self soothing quicker as time went on. When I lay her down now she goes right to sleep.

We also got a Nested Bean swaddle, and when she grew out of that we got their sleep sack. It definitely works for her. The other night I forgot to put it on her and she was up in 2 hours. Put her back to bed and up again in 2 hours. Then I realized my mistake. Normally she sleeps 6 hours straight, wakes up to eat, then goes back to sleep for another 4-5 hours.

I think we'll try the 10 min thing tonight and hope for the best. Normally when we put him down without him sleeping he'll cry until he throws up and almost chokes himself, but we figure he's so tired at night he won't have the energy for that.

We tried a bunch of swaddles, but when we wrap him he goes totally crazy and wants out. Again, screaming until he throws up :)

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

nwin posted:

Hopefully I’m overreacting and it’s just a phase, but I feel like I hosed up.

My 3 month old son wants nothing to do with a pacifier over the last few days. What I’ve always done with him is if he refuses the pacifier I keep it in his mouth and wriggle it around for a bit and usually he takes it and is fine, but my wife commented the other day that she thinks I’m holding it in his mouth a bit too long and she said that if someone was doing that to her, it would make her want it even less.

She hasn’t had any luck over the past few days with him taking a pacifier either, and reading online it looks like she’s right-don’t force it, don’t try when they’re crying a whole bunch, etc.

I thought I was doing the right thing because I’d try a pacifier and get him to take it after I had seen if he was hungry or needed changed, and it usually worked. I would say I would try holding it in his mouth for 30 seconds maybe? Sometimes he would be wailing the whole time and other times not so much.

The big thing with him now is he’s getting cranky from not taking naps. He just finished one of his leaps we think. We’re trying to put him down more for naps and follow a night time routine-we try to get him into bed by 8:30 pm and he usually sleeps until about 5 or 6 am, but usually that 30 minutes before nap time he is fussy as can be, and now the pacifier isn’t even working. But even when he’s calm now, he doesn’t seem to want anything to do with a pacifier.

Do you have multiple brands of pacifiers? Maybe he suddenly doesn’t like the one you’re offering? My daughter is super picky and used to only like nuk. Now she only likes tommee tippie. She will occasionally take an avent. It was confusing at first when she wouldn’t take her favorite, so I tried others until she had a new favorite. We got so many different brands from the baby shower, I still keep them in a ziplock bag stored away if she changes her mind again.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sarah posted:

Do you have multiple brands of pacifiers? Maybe he suddenly doesn’t like the one you’re offering? My daughter is super picky and used to only like nuk. Now she only likes tommee tippie. She will occasionally take an avent. It was confusing at first when she wouldn’t take her favorite, so I tried others until she had a new favorite. We got so many different brands from the baby shower, I still keep them in a ziplock bag stored away if she changes her mind again.

That could be it-we only have two brands: the Avent and the ones by MAM. He uses MAM bottles and has always liked the MAM pacifiers since the nipple is the same, but you could be right-maybe it's time for a change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

sheri posted:

The lands end ones have held up great for my son. We are in year 2+ of using it and it still looks new. They run 40 and 50% off sales fairly regularly.

I've heard the pottery Barn kids ones are good too but don't have personal experience with them.

We have Pottery Barn Kids ones and they’re decent. They come in a lot of kid friendly prints. We switched to LL Bean (my childhood standby) when we had to toss my oldest kid’s and theirs are still built like a truck.