Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I'm pretty sure this show would have handled the subject matter with more grace and taste than Site, but I'm content with what's been presented to us. A lot more than content, really. Still can't get over that second half, even if it apparently misses the forest for the trees a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

In the manga he elaborates further that he took away all of Mob's safety nets so he would take the brunt of Asagiri's bullying to convince him that not all people are good or worth saving. His point is less "you only have friends because you have psychic powers" and more "if you're on the bottom rungs of society people will treat you like poo poo and you're just too lucky to see this, you should be cynical like me".

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I hope we see more of Asagiri.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mulderman posted:

Yup the cat runs away. It's a chance I'm fine with since it always felt unnecessary to me. Seeing how they revive the cat anyways once Mob is back to his senses

The fact that it's unnecessary is kind of the point.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
After hearing the manga readers complain, I read those chapters in the manga, and I can see what they mean. The way the manga tells the story does have more of a punch.

But I think the animators made the right decision in the end. Animation is a more visceral medium than comics, especially when it's well done (as in this case). The first half of this episode felt like a gauntlet for me--I was extremely tense throughout it and nearly cried. I'm not sure I could've handled a more complete depiction of Mob's 6 months in middle school hell. Granted, that's just me, but going by the reactions here I suspect other people also would find it difficult. Beneath the comedy Mob Psycho 100 deals with some pretty serious issues, but it's fundamentally an optimistic story. I think animating everything from the manga would have taken the story too far down the darkness scale in a way that doesn't fit the story being told.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Holy poo poo, I cannot think of the last time I saw an episode with animation like that. Not even in season 1.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Viola the Mad posted:

After hearing the manga readers complain, I read those chapters in the manga, and I can see what they mean. The way the manga tells the story does have more of a punch.

But I think the animators made the right decision in the end.
Yeah I think I'm starting to fall in line with this

I think the manga is fantastic, like almost a completely perfect story, and while I'd love for the anime to be an exact beat for beat amazing looking adaption of that story, that just probably isn't a good idea, and asking for panel perfect perfection might drive me bonkers. But like I said earlier, this episode solidified that I should start buying the english volumes, because I like this story a lot and I wanna have the whole thing, and the anime is wonderful adaptation/companion piece to see the best stuff play out.

this might be the first show I buy the blu-rays for, something I have never done for an animated show

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

this might be the first show I buy the blu-rays for, something I have never done for an animated show

It will probably be my second, after Ping Pong. Will be the first I also try to get all the English volumes in print too though. I've reread the whole thing so many times online that I probably should.

Think this ep is probably the best of the series so far, although the final couple minutes from ep 1 of this season is still my favorite scene.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Outstanding episode, even the goddamn old-school RPG final battle music fit.

The animators (and all the other people working on this) really loving care about this show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think the anime made the best choice for the anime format. The weight of the manga works in the manga format. The manga for sure was 'stronger', but the anime's take on it flowed really, really well and it made it feel like a complete story in 22 minutes. A movie-quality one at that.

The fight was incredible, but everything before that was also amazing.

I also really liked not having the stabbing scene because it makes the girl just be a normal rear end in a top hat. She's just an awful person to a very normal degree and Mob helped her change.

I love this anime so much, and I can't believe we're about to enter an even more emotional arc now.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Raserys posted:

after mogami realizes mob is still being nice, he steps in and makes fake-asagi stab him

she's actually worse in the anime because she celebrated mob getting bricked in the head without mogami controlling her

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

this show is really loving good

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

I mostly agree that it was probably the right choice from an animation and tv perspective, but it unfortunately left me and apparently many other manga readers feeling un-impacted. I have not reread MP100 at all, so the last time I read those chapters was a long time ago and I could barely remember what happened, but unfortunately to me there was barely any emotional impact to the first half of the episode. I remembered it being very difficult in the manga and I just don't feel like this episode captured that. I think a part of it is cutting away to Dimple and Reigen takes some of the urgency out of the situation and I didn't really like that they did that. Plus you really don't get a sense for just how LONG Mob experienced that alternate reality.

Of course the visuals were stunning, so that makes up for it... a bit. I just wish they'd given this 2 episodes instead of 1.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
skipping the OP would have probably given enough extra time but I'm sure there's also production/broadcast contract reasons for not doing that

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Mob good :unsmith:

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
The Mob is the inverse of latent untruth.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
Is it just me or did it seem like Mob destroyed the entire world they were trapped in?

And that was some cool animation.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Is it just me or did it seem like Mob destroyed the entire world they were trapped in?

I mean, nobody was using it...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://spiritsandsuch.com/

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh thank god, I've been haunted for a while and I had no idea how to contact the star psychic of the 21st century, Reigen Arataka. Now I can finally get help.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was the first visitor :hellyeah:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Don't forget to sign the guest book!

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
More like the ghostbook

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

The fake quicktime embed is the best poo poo

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Meat Beat Agent posted:

More like the ghostbook

I'm glad that person can eat eggs again.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Beekeeping and You posted:

The fake quicktime embed is the best poo poo
I went to the site on my phone and I honestly believed it for a sec

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
if this was a series where mob could have fallen i think showing more of the bullying would be fine but it’d just drag super hard here imo

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Reigen is the loving best

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
bought Volume 1 on my way home and it rules seeing the first 100% Anger after last ep's 100%

our strong son....

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So I'm interested in if people think Mob is being possessed by whatever that ???% thing is or is it like a split personality that only comes out after he passes out.

Given the way Mob was referenced as a 'vessel' I'm thinking the former.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nephthys posted:

So I'm interested in if people think Mob is being possessed by whatever that ???% thing is or is it like a split personality that only comes out after he passes out.

Given the way Mob was referenced as a 'vessel' I'm thinking the former.

100% is already repressed parts of Mob's personality coming to the fore, so ???% just being a split personality would probably make it insufficiently distinct from 100%.

I do wonder where the ???% storyline is going. I'm not a big fan of superpowered demonic-possession powerups of this sort (Kurama the Nine-Tailed Fox, Hollow Ichigo, The One Who Purifies God, etc.), because they always seem a bit plot-convenient; they lead to "Oh no, I hurt my friends!" angst, but they always stop short of permanently harming anyone the protagonist cares about, while defeating strong villains with raw power when it would be suitably dramatic. I assume ONE is actually going somewhere subversive with the idea, much as he did with Claw.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
My current guess is that ???% is Mob's subconscious, basically.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Because I can't speculate on ??? I'll just talk about how the ???% vs Teru scene is one of my favs. The viewer is denied the constant building % and instead it becomes a huge Uh Oh as Teru just screams in fear while ??? just remains completely unmoving, and then building % comes back around to 100% Sadness and Mob ends up sobbing into a ball and any excitement to seeing that percentage go up turns into guilt that you were excited for Mob to go off at all.

it's perfecto

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

dudermcbrohan posted:

if this was a series where mob could have fallen i think showing more of the bullying would be fine but it’d just drag super hard here imo

What makes you think Mob can't fall? Like that's the entire point of his existence, his fear of what would happen if he let go and did whatever he wanted. He probably could never go full batshit evil nutjob, but he's a person. He has the capacity for anger and weakness, just like everyone else.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Silver2195 posted:

100% is already repressed parts of Mob's personality coming to the fore, so ???% just being a split personality would probably make it insufficiently distinct from 100%.

I do wonder where the ???% storyline is going. I'm not a big fan of superpowered demonic-possession powerups of this sort (Kurama the Nine-Tailed Fox, Hollow Ichigo, The One Who Purifies God, etc.), because they always seem a bit plot-convenient; they lead to "Oh no, I hurt my friends!" angst, but they always stop short of permanently harming anyone the protagonist cares about, while defeating strong villains with raw power when it would be suitably dramatic. I assume ONE is actually going somewhere subversive with the idea, much as he did with Claw.

He does, all I'll say.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mob's an emotionally vulnerable teenager, if there's a reason that he seems like he can't fall it's not because of his strength of will or whatever, but because he has family, friends and mentors forming an expansive emotional support network for him. Like, the final conflict in the first season was less that there's bad espers doing bad things and more Mob being on the cusp of deciding that he should just murder fools for being bad espers. Pretty much the only reason he didn't have Scar's blood on his hands is because Reigen told him not to.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

Mob's an emotionally vulnerable teenager, if there's a reason that he seems like he can't fall it's not because of his strength of will or whatever, but because he has family, friends and mentors forming an expansive emotional support network for him. Like, the final conflict in the first season was less that there's bad espers doing bad things and more Mob being on the cusp of deciding that he should just murder fools for being bad espers. Pretty much the only reason he didn't have Scar's blood on his hands is because Reigen told him not to.

I think when dudermcbrohan said the Mob couldn't fall, he meant it in a Doylist sense, not a Watsonian one. This is a show that deals with some serious issues, but it's still a semi-comedic show based on a manga that ran in a shonen magazine; the main character isn't going to become a murderer, just like he isn't going to die. (Yes, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure killed off the main character 50 chapters in, but you get what I mean.)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mob can't fall because Reigen will always be there to catch him.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/tsubok00/status/1093121146222870528

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

!!!!!!!!!!!!