Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So I was poking around my closest Asian supermarket and saw they have chicken feet for wicked cheap. Can you do chicken stock like, only out of chicken feet? Or do you want some other bits in there, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

So I was poking around my closest Asian supermarket and saw they have chicken feet for wicked cheap. Can you do chicken stock like, only out of chicken feet? Or do you want some other bits in there, too?

Generally you do want some meatier bits but I guess you could. My guess is it'd have little-no chicken flavor and lack a bit of richness, because there's no protein in the feet, but it'd be obcenely high in gelatin and probably still better than a lot of grocery store stock if you didn't skimp on the aromatics. Otherwise serious eats has an article about which parts to use. I do about 4:1 chicken backs and feet, but if I couldn't find backs I'd use thighs/wings on sale or start breaking down cheap chickens (freeze the breasts and maybe legs/thighs and stock the rest)

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 1, 2019

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I just bought a bunch of chicken feet, I'll add them to chicken and turkey bones and scraps for stock. I've used beef feet in beef stock and you get a wonderful silky texture and powerful beef like flavor. I'm hoping chicken feet do the same.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Yeah I’d definitely throw in some chicken bones or a back with that. Toss the feet in the freezer until you’ve got a few more spare parts to work with.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sweet, thanks for the tips! I haven't bought any feet yet, honestly I don't cook much meat since my partner's a vegetarian.

I was just thinking about how to make some killer chicken dishes, since she's gonna start eating meat again a bit before we take a trip to Japan.

Although this does remind me that I have a full bag of veggie scraps, gonna get my stock on this weekend :bubblewoop:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Chicken feet are great in stock.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I did hot pot in my IP last night and it was loving glorious.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
My partner is pescetarian, which has meant I basically can't cook any of the many, many delicious meat dishes that my pressure cooker is so great for.

Does anyone have any good fish/veggie dishes so I don't feel like it's just taking up cupboard space for no reason?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Death of Rats posted:

My partner is pescetarian, which has meant I basically can't cook any of the many, many delicious meat dishes that my pressure cooker is so great for.

Does anyone have any good fish/veggie dishes so I don't feel like it's just taking up cupboard space for no reason?

I've done the infamous butter chicken recipe, just.. sans chicken. So you basically make the sauce in the IP, then I sauteed tofu separately. Was still fuckin delicious :discourse:

The fish curry recipe that comes with the IP is actually pretty decent, I should see about giving that another shot. I've held off from it for awhile cause I made a batch of it, and let one sit a little too long in the fridge and it wrecked my stomach. drat you, food-associated-nausea :argh:

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Death of Rats posted:

It's really good for beans and tough root veggies. Pressure cookers and vegetarian are popular in India, so if you google for one you like there should be a recipe for it.
Fish is almost always too delicate and would be over cooked in a pressure cooker. But if you have some fish skeletons you can make fish stock.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Death of Rats posted:

It'll make short work of dry beans and grains and you can usually skip straight to the end without soaking if you're in a hurry. You can also supposedly make paneer in it with slightly better returns than on the stovetop.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Death of Rats posted:

:sever:

There are plenty of non-Pescetarian, Vegetarian or Vegan people out there. Life is too short to not eat good food.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Trastion posted:

There are plenty of non-Pescetarian, Vegetarian or Vegan people out there. Life is too short to not eat good food.

Americans have this misguided idea that an entree without meat has to be lacking, but it's not true, unless you literally just delete the meat from a western dish that's supposed to have meat in it and use storebought veggie stock in place of meat stock, in which case yeah it'll probably taste like you forgot the meat. Look to cuisines that aren't supposed to have any meat in them. India has the highest concentration of vegetarians in the world, and they have a million ways to make misc lentils, chickpeas paneer and every other bean/legume unapologetically delicious (also they traditionally use pressure cookers for this, though I haven't gotten there yet and can't recommend any recipes). Paneer brings more to the table than chicken cubes and is all around a world class protein cube/sauce vehicle (unlike certain bean curds).

Though if she's mostly just into sad imitation soy-meat Trastion is probably right.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Chana masala is a great place to start, and benefits from a pressure cooker in a big way (other dishes like gobi matar don't really, since the cook time is only 30 minutes anyway). Cook the chana with some tea in the water, it'll make them taste better, look better, and gives them a great texture that's creamy all the way through.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Trastion posted:

I know it's a joke but lmao at saying vegetarian/pescatarian food is not "good food." :btroll:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Cook the chana with some tea in the water, it'll make them taste better, look better, and gives them a great texture that's creamy all the way through.

Fuckin A this is a great idea, thank you.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Johnny Truant posted:

Fuckin A this is a great idea, thank you.

I made this version and liked it a lot: https://myheartbeets.com/instant-pot-chana-masala-punjabi-chole-spiced-chickpea-curry/

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

poverty goat posted:

It'll make short work of dry beans and grains and you can usually skip straight to the end without soaking if you're in a hurry. You can also supposedly make paneer in it with slightly better returns than on the stovetop.

Has anyone in the thread made paneer with a pressure cooker? I'd like to try it this week, and have a stovetop pressure cooker instead of an instant pot, so it would be nice to get tips from someone who's tried it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Kalista posted:

Has anyone in the thread made paneer with a pressure cooker? I'd like to try it this week, and have a stovetop pressure cooker instead of an instant pot, so it would be nice to get tips from someone who's tried it.

I'd also like to try it this week but I don't know if I will

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
You don't need pressure for paneer, just generally accurate heating. In my experience making it, it's best to keep an eye on it while it curdles.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah you don't need the pressure function for paneer at all. Just need the milk to be boiling and a little lemon juice.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah you don't need the pressure function for paneer at all. Just need the milk to be boiling and a little lemon juice.

Suspect Bucket posted:

You don't need pressure for paneer, just generally accurate heating. In my experience making it, it's best to keep an eye on it while it curdles.

The Instant Pot Authorized indian cookbook I got for christmas says you get more paneer out of it if you PC, but I'm skeptical. I was surprised they didn't just tell you to boil the milk in yogurt mode and do it the normal way

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

poverty goat posted:

The Instant Pot Authorized indian cookbook I got for christmas says you get more paneer out of it if you PC, but I'm skeptical. I was surprised they didn't just tell you to boil the milk in yogurt mode and do it the normal way

I suppose the reasoning is that you get more heat, less scalding. But given enough time and enough, but not an excess of, acid, anything animal milk will cheese.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Death of Rats posted:

A good ~30-60% of Indian recipes involve pressure cookers and there are tons of vegetarian dishes. Check out this website for a lot of great stuff.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Kedgeree seems like it'd be a good fit for the Instant Pot, here is a random recipe I googled complete with mentions of Hubby because food blog: https://www.everynookandcranny.net/instant-pot-kedgeree/

I was thinking more the smoked fish kind but that doesn't appeal to everyone - this way you can do the rice, fish, and boiled eggs all at once.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Hi angerbot! :D

Huh. Looks like English kedgeree is literally nothing like its originator kichidi. Like, nothing at all. Wow.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

poverty goat posted:

you absolutely don't need pressure for paneer, and it doesn't help at all. properly made paneer curdles all of the solids out of the whey anyway, or at least a significant enough portion that the remainder is just a slightly yellow liquid.

dino. posted:

Huh. Looks like English kedgeree is literally nothing like its originator kichidi. Like, nothing at all. Wow.

yeah I dunno what's going on with kedgeree. just make khichdi instead, it's better. and it's a great side for main courses like gobi matar! in fact, khichdi completes just about any main dish, as long as you serve it with achar and maybe kachumber

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 6, 2019

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

other excellent indian food websites

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/

https://bhavnaskitchen.com/

http://showmethecurry.com/

https://www.vahrehvah.com/ (this one is almost like indian allrecipes, tons of content but not 100% reliable. That said, no single website is 100% reliable, except maybe Manjula)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

(this one is almost like indian allrecipes, tons of content but not 100% reliable. That said, no single website is 100% reliable, except maybe Manjula)
I've never seen anything bad at vegrecipesofindia.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

dino. posted:

hi dino :)

Yeah, kedgeree is kind of best explained as "English people came home from India, said "hey make this" to their English cook," and it all sort of spiraled from there

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Death of Rats posted:

Every once in a while you should definitely do one of the delicious meat dishes and let her watch you eat it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Stringent posted:

Every once in a while you should definitely do one of the delicious meat dishes and let her watch you eat it.

bonus if they're there when you begin venting the IP and gets to enjoy the smell.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Has anyone used their Instant Pot to make pressure cooker Fried Chicken? I know a lot of fried chicken places use pressure cookers but wasn't sure if they are special ones or if you can just use the IP?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Pressure fryers are different than pressure cookers. You can't fry chicken in an instant pot.

You can buy ancient home pressure fryers on ebay. They thrillingly combine the questionable safety of old stovetop pressure cookers with large quantities of superheated oil, plus decades of unknown use and upkeep with a bonus of nobody to sue for your upcoming interesting disfigurements.

You should get one and tell us about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The instant pot lid has plastics and rubbers and stuff. It will probably melt or explode. You can try to just fry it in the IP using saute mode but it probably won't get hot enough.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Ok that's why i asked. Someone was talking about fried chicken and pressure frying it. I figured it wasn't that easy or I would be seeing a lot of people talking about it because who doesn't like a good fried chicken?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

If someone ever builds a pressure fryer for home/consumer use, you can bet I will be right there for it. It's a shame that something as small as fear of grievous bodily harm keeps this deliciousness out of the kitchen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There are table top pressure smoker machines that can do quick barbecue. But they are huge and take up all the space. Almost like bbq should be done outside.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If someone ever builds a pressure fryer for home/consumer use, you can bet I will be right there for it. It's a shame that something as small as fear of grievous bodily harm keeps this deliciousness out of the kitchen.
They did make home pressure fryers for years and years, and you can always find them on ebay

They stopped making them because of all the lawsuits, but still

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Let's assume I meant "a safe pressure fryer for home/consumer use."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
People seem to like those Air Fryers but I've never used one, it's definitely not the same though.