Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Expensive consumer goods aren’t always ethically manufactured but cost is sometimes an indicator of more ethical work practices. Low cost consumer goods, particularly when you get into knockoff decor/fast fashion territory, is often correlated with less ethical manufacturing practices. I don’t fault someone for how they spend their money, period, but I definitely wouldn’t fault someone for buying something that was higher cost but made to last a lifetime and/or more ethically produced. I think many (not all) minimalists feel that by consuming less in general they are making an ethical choice. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but I understand the logic.

There are also folks who call themselves minimalists who consider any consumption unethical, and they do a lot of dumpster diving and scrounging. Maybe they’re right, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RoboRodent posted:

I'd say that a $100 laundry hamper is conspicuous consumerism.

Is it really conspicuous if nobody ever sees it but you? You'd have to, like, post about it on an Internet comedy forum for it to be conspicuous.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is it really conspicuous if nobody ever sees it but you? You'd have to, like, post about it on an Internet comedy forum for it to be conspicuous.

I feel like this thing can't really exist outside of an issue of Dwell, where its listed off with all of the other expensive and pretty things in The Room. Not unlike a GQ advertorial where a guy is casually wearing $5000 worth of clothes.

Buy the $6 Aldi hamper, put the other $94 into an index fund. (Or more realistically, only add $6 to your credit card bill.)

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

Expensive consumer goods aren’t always ethically manufactured but cost is sometimes an indicator of more ethical work practices. Low cost consumer goods, particularly when you get into knockoff decor/fast fashion territory, is often correlated with less ethical manufacturing practices. I don’t fault someone for how they spend their money, period, but I definitely wouldn’t fault someone for buying something that was higher cost but made to last a lifetime and/or more ethically produced. I think many (not all) minimalists feel that by consuming less in general they are making an ethical choice. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but I understand the logic.

There are also folks who call themselves minimalists who consider any consumption unethical, and they do a lot of dumpster diving and scrounging. Maybe they’re right, I dunno.

There are also folks who call themselves minimalist who indulge in over consumption because in order to maintain their pristine living situation they just constantly buy and trash stuff as needed instead of holding onto anything. This is an interior design thread, not a lifestyle one. Everyone is going to assume you're talking about an esthetic, not an ethos, and you sound like a presumptive idiot when you casually conflate the two.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really hate the style of decor that looks like an old barn collapsed and you've decorated your place entirely out of its scraps.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

picks up this thread from the giant pile of threads, thinks for a bit, thanks it and removes it from bookmarks

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Baronjutter posted:

I really hate the style of decor that looks like an old barn collapsed and you've decorated your place entirely out of its scraps.
It's called "industrial farmhouse" and it is the worst
slap some random shiplap on that bitch, Joanna Gaines said so

planks on the ceiling lunch pails on the lights words on the walls

sometimes it infects the exterior too

aaaaaaaggggghhhh

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Youth Decay posted:

slap some random shiplap on that bitch, Joanna Gaines said so

yeah, it looks like someone peed on the wall

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Everything is so loving grey

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ah, the "jeans and jean jacket" of interior design.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

mutata posted:

Ah, the "jeans and jean jacket" “Canadian funeral suit” of interior design.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’d be into that kitchen if they changedthe cabinets, the window treatments, the flooring, the texture on the ceiling, the top of the island... oh wait a second.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

cheese eats mouse posted:

Everything is so loving grey

Also, if it looks dirty now, what is it going to look like when a decade of grime has been caked into all that woodgrain? At least with 70s wood panelling we knew enough to seal that poo poo. I'm getting a splinter just looking at it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

vonnegutt posted:

Also, if it looks dirty now, what is it going to look like when a decade of grime has been caked into all that woodgrain? At least with 70s wood panelling we knew enough to seal that poo poo. I'm getting a splinter just looking at it.

My feeling is that a lot of unsealed wood will start to warp and peel off of the walls as it dries. Esp if it was sourced from outside/moist/etc.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Youth Decay posted:

Goddamn that is some ugly decor. It looks like they picked a color palette called "End of February in Pripyat" and shat it out on the industrial farmhouse poo poo. HGTV needs to die along with Chip and Joanna Gaines.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Corrugated metal roofing is for outside, not for inside. Those bar stools are the most heinous things I’ve ever seen. They obviously spent a pile of money of cabinets etc. and then have an ugly cheap electric stove in the middle of it? I’ve never understood big fancy kitchens for people who don’t cook.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Electric Bugaloo posted:

My feeling is that a lot of unsealed wood will start to warp and peel off of the walls as it dries. Esp if it was sourced from outside/moist/etc.

I think you still seal / clear coat it but in a way that makes it look unfinished

tbf the outside grill area looks fine next to the style of the house. it could be on a tudor or something instead

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Tag yourself, I'm the popcorn ceiling.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

PRADA SLUT posted:

I think you still seal / clear coat it but in a way that makes it look unfinished

tbf the outside grill area looks fine next to the style of the house. it could be on a tudor or something instead

You think everybody DIY-shiplapping their house is sealing their beautiful steel slats?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

beep-beep car is go posted:

Tag yourself, I'm the popcorn ceiling.

I'm the denim purse / feedbag hanging on the door.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Corrugated metal roofing is for outside, not for inside. Those bar stools are the most heinous things I’ve ever seen. They obviously spent a pile of money of cabinets etc. and then have an ugly cheap electric stove in the middle of it? I’ve never understood big fancy kitchens for people who don’t cook.

Those fuckers always think that the obstacle to cooking and entertaining is "not having the right place" and will end up reheating takeout in their chef's kitchen.

Meanwhile I'm cooking like crazy in a 10'x10' kitchen with a non-functional vent and maybe a couple feet of counterspace. Makes me mad to see inequality like that.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

Those fuckers always think that the obstacle to cooking and entertaining is "not having the right place" and will end up reheating takeout in their chef's kitchen.

Meanwhile I'm cooking like crazy in a 10'x10' kitchen with a non-functional vent and maybe a couple feet of counterspace. Makes me mad to see inequality like that.

You wouldn't end up using all that kitchen either, even if you cooked a lot. You'd prep on counter to the left of the stove, maybe put dirty dishes in/around the sink, and the rest would just sit empty. Serious question, has anyone ever used a breakfast bar? Like if you had a choice between a table, a couch, or the bar do you ever pick the bar?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there wolf posted:

has anyone ever used a breakfast bar? Like if you had a choice between a table, a couch, or the bar do you ever pick the bar?

I have access to all those things, and the dining table is about 8 feet from the breakfast bar, but my daughter and I use the bar every morning. It’s more connected to the kitchen where we do most of our morning prep, so it’s easier to chat and such.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

there wolf posted:

You wouldn't end up using all that kitchen either, even if you cooked a lot. You'd prep on counter to the left of the stove, maybe put dirty dishes in/around the sink, and the rest would just sit empty. Serious question, has anyone ever used a breakfast bar? Like if you had a choice between a table, a couch, or the bar do you ever pick the bar?

What are you eating for breakfast that you’d prefer to eat it on the couch?

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Growing up we always had breakfast at the island while my mom was prepping our lunches and dinner at the dinner table. Sometimes we ate at on the couch, but rarely.

As an adult, I always ate at the couch until I had a kid. Now we eat at the dinner table and don't have a breakfast bar or island.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

extravadanza posted:

Growing up we always had breakfast at the island while my mom was prepping our lunches and dinner at the dinner table. Sometimes we ate at on the couch, but rarely.

As an adult, I always ate at the couch until I had a kid. Now we eat at the dinner table and don't have a breakfast bar or island.

Shouldn't have had kids, you can eat anywhere you want

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BigFactory posted:

What are you eating for breakfast that you’d prefer to eat it on the couch?

I actually eat breakfast in bed. But meals in front of the t.v. are pretty common for a lot of people in my experience; you eat off the coffee table or use a tray.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My only dining table is a bar-height, four-foot-wide table made from engineered flooring wood. I tore out a boring wall, put in a structural beam, framed out the hole and built the bar. I love it more than any table I've had before, it's incredibly strong and durable and you can put a whole spread of food in the middle without crowding.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Minimalism.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

there wolf posted:

Serious question, has anyone ever used a breakfast bar? Like if you had a choice between a table, a couch, or the bar do you ever pick the bar?

This might sound crazy, but different people do things differently.
(At my inlaws we only use the table for formal meals, bar is used for breakfast, lunch, snacks, and is awesome.)

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Dave posted:

This might sound crazy, but different people do things differently.
(At my inlaws we only use the table for formal meals, bar is used for breakfast, lunch, snacks, and is awesome.)

Yeah, that's why I asked sincerely if it's something other people do because I hadn't really seen that. Not every question is a bad-faith dig.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

there wolf posted:

I actually eat breakfast in bed.

Sexy.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

there wolf posted:

You mean the designated stay out of my way but still be in the kitchen so we can talk while I cook stools? Yeah, we use those quite a bit.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

YamiNoSenshi posted:

You mean the designated stay out of my way but still be in the kitchen so we can talk while I cook stools? Yeah, we use those quite a bit.

I sense some ambiguity, do you actually cook stools?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I sense some ambiguity, do you actually cook stools?

I know you shouldn't cook unfamiliar toadstools, and most animal stools, but some critters poop expensive coffee.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

YamiNoSenshi posted:

You mean the designated "stay out of my way but still be in the kitchen so we can talk while I cook" stools? Yeah, we use those quite a bit.

Punctuation, here, would make all the difference.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

This is an airbnb. You can pay money to stay in someone's unfinished basement.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

PRADA SLUT posted:

You are right, it does match the style of the house...

"I put up a decorative word that says Farmhouse so people will know it's a Farmhouse and then another decorative word that says Farmhouse in the mudroom in case people forgot"

Barn door #1

Barn door #2: Now with more shiplap

Gotta put more planks on poo poo and also this random door we found and stained green

At least it is an actual farmhouse?

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Youth Decay posted:

You are right, it does match the style of the house...

"I put up a decorative word that says Farmhouse so people will know it's a Farmhouse and then another decorative word that says Farmhouse in the mudroom in case people forgot"

Farmhouse twice! In case you forget going into the hallway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
How many times do you think that precariously angled green door in the corner has suddenly slid down onto the floor in the middle of the night?