Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

"The spirit of compromise" from the person who shut down the government for over a month because he doesn't know what concession means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Oh hey, infrastructure week is back!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Xarthor posted:

I'm all for Twitter takedowns and whatever but why do senior Dems like Adam Schiff even bother responding to Sarah Sanders at this point? She's gone beyond the usual press secretary thing of "spinning" news stories to be favorable to the president and at this point is just out-and-out lying...and everyone knows it.

Calling her out on her lies leads to more lies. Eventually something has to slip.

Even if she doesn't respond, it also serves as a jumping off point for other conversations.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

I see Infrastructure Week is back baby!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

No HIV talking points

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

friendbot2000 posted:

There is also a disturbing pattern of thought of women being incapable of sexual assault and rape. It is a carry-over from the common belief that they don't have a sex drive so of course, a woman is incapable of raping anyone. Like, a police officer literally laughed at me and thought I was kidding when I described my assault. Metrics are only added to the system if you are caught and convicted and society is only just starting to realize that women can be sex monsters too.

quote:

women are just as greedy, selfish, and amoral as men. the patriarchy has stripped them of their ability to exercise those traits by gating them from real power. the one area this is true is sexual harassment since women can and do harass men and other women, women have had the requisite power dynamic in their favor far less than men until very recently, and the patriarchy is still influencing that

edit: Like there is no shortage of women teachers that just cannot seem to keep their hands off teens and lo and behold, thats a scenario where they have the power dynamic in place to be an abuser, same as the male teachers have been doing.

so yeah vote for POC women and hopefully we can shift things to a better status quo

So this was a bit far back (a few hundred posts now), but it's what I get for effortposting. I wanted to add my own story and point of view.

When I was in my mid-teens teens my friends and I used to spend time with a woman I'll call S because she was cool and her kids were friends with my little brother. She was in...I want to say her early thirties when I first met her at fifteen. Eventually I invited my friends over and she loved that and we all had grand old times together. She was funny and sweet and I'd visit her house for years.

I remember my neighbor Q. He'd injured his back and couldn't mow his lawn, much less work. My mom voluntold me to mow his lawn for no pay because he was dealing with reduced pay for disability, though he'd still do nice things for me when he could and so sullen teenager anger turned into respect because he was trying. We'd talk a lot over his kitchen table when I was done over a bottle of water or juice or a soda while I got out of the baking South Carolina sun after strenuous work. And we developed a pretty good rapport over time because he was one of the first adults to treat me like an adult.

One day he asked me if I was part of S's "harem". Not laughing, not joking, really serious. And this is more serious than it sounds because Q is a black man in the South asking if a white woman was molesting me in unambiguous terms. I sometimes felt weird around S, but she was normally cool so I let it go. So I said no and he seemed to believe me so I dropped the subject, but I didn't glom onto the fact that he wasn't just asking about me, but my friends.

I learned years later that both of my friends, aged about fourteen or fifteen at the time, were both having sex with her. And it really messed one of my friends up, though he refused to explain why almost twenty years later, but he's plagued with low self-esteem and anxiety and I have a feeling that S was part of that- A brick in the foundation that is his deep self-loathing. It turned out that S had been sexually grooming all of us and how to recognize that sort of behaviors isn't taught in school. What he did explain was why she never made a move on me. And the answer was because I was too old at seventeen and she stopped with both of them once they got "too old". And I just became physically nauseous in response upon hearing that and give him a hug. The only reason she didn't prey on me was because I'd aged out of what she desired as a pedophile predator or whatever you want to call her.

So yes, women can definitely be capable of being sex monsters. Anyone can be witty and charming and funny and this has zero baring on who they are. I used to not take sexual assault by women seriously. I'd even laud it when a woman teacher preyed on a male student. The question if he was molested or not primarily revolved around her being hot or not and that's just how dumb I was at the time, but in retrospect women are just as capable of men of being horrible to people though the tactics for sexual abuse for men and women tend to differ. Some may not take this seriously. I sure didn't for years, but if I were to reverse the roles and S was a man and my friends were all teenage girls, she'd probably be in prison instead of getting away with it with a shoulder shrug at best. I could have laughed at my friend and told him to get over it, thereby shaming him even more for being molested. I didn't, though a younger me might have.

Part of untangling privilege and ushering in equality means judging people equally regardless of their sex or attractiveness or race. Yes, this means tackling abuses of power. That's the lion's share of where the problems come from. But there are also deep cultural blind spots that most people have that protect abusers as well.

To illustrate, I remember a moderately famous episode of a show called "The Talk" in 2011 where Sharon Osbourne and a few others...I can't remember their names, made fun of a man who'd been castrated by his wife for filing for divorce. She called it "fabulous". And she was forced to make an apology, but it was such a non-apology that they were all giggling while they were doing it. No one took it seriously, not even the people who had to okay the apology. From wikipedia, quote:

quote:

The Talk

In July 2011, Osbourne and some of her fellow The Talk panelists were criticised for their conduct when discussing the story of Catherine Kieu. Osbourne described Kieu's cutting off of her husband's penis and putting it in a garbage disposal as "quite fabulous", Osbourne also laughed about the incident with her fellow panellists and members of the audience. Osbourne's cohost Sara Gilbert offered the counterpoint "Not to be a total buzz kill, but it is a little bit sexist. If somebody cut a woman's breast off, nobody would be sitting laughing.", Osbourne replied by saying "It's different".[93] Osbourne later apologised for her behaviour, stating "she was sorry she offended people" and that she "did not condone genital mutilation".[citation needed]

Osbourne's co-hosts on The Talk, Leah Remini and Holly Robinson Peete were released from their contracts in 2011.[94] Osbourne spoke of their dismissals in December 2011 on The Howard Stern Show, stating: "Some people don't really know who they are, and you have to know who you are when you're in something like this. You can't pretend to be something you're not. You have to know your brand. You can't be all things to everyone."[95][96] Remini later protested her dismissal and leveled accusations aimed at Osbourne through a series of tweets.[97][98][99][100]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Osbourne

To put it bluntly, being a regressive shithead is her brand. She's put in places specifically to be a regressive shithead and stir up controvery. To "just say what everyone's thinking". And the reason people think these things in the first place is because people like her maintain and reinforce toxic cultural norms. She was not the only one who made fun of the man, but she definitely led the charge while others took her lead. There was someone who spoke up (perhaps the only one not up there who wasn't trash) and Orbourne waved it away by saying it's different. I found a youtube video. Apologies for the heavy editorializing by the poster, but it was what I could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0jSxzeLezw

The women who were tackling this could have treated this as horrible and deserving of respect, that violence and abuse is wrong, but instead think of genital mutilation as somehow hilarious. I guarantee you that if the situation was reversed and it had been female genital mutilation there would have been general shock and moral outrage. The tone different. And before someone thinks that it's not a big deal, reverse the genders and put it on live television. Imagine five men talking about a man who'd cut off a woman's clitorous or carved up her vagina to the point where she couldn't have sex anymore laughing about it, one saying openly that, "I don't know why he did it, but maybe she deserved it" while an audience of men laugh and are shocked and laugh again. The one man who speaks up and isn't loving garbage gets waved away.

This is a big deal. These people are cultural gatekeepers and she is not alone. There are writers and editors and producers and people who work behind the scenes who set the tone and use her as a mouthpiece. They set the tone and enforce orthodoxy on what is acceptable and what is not. "Violence against women? Horrifying. Not okay. Violence against men? Yeah...*Snrk*, uh, bad I guess. Wait, did he deserve it? Now I'm not saying he deserved it but..." And that gets a pass.

Women watched this show for their daily dose of...I guess conversation about the events of the day. So while I see these enormous toxic, patriarchal power structures that should be disassembled, there are also competing cultural norms which are being constantly reinforced. When I talk to women about this stuff, some can turn from woke to regressive as any chud on a dime. And it highlights that some of the push for rights by women and for women is reactionary, not progressive. "Justice for me, not for thee."

Some women are cool or thankfully even understanding when I talk about it. Some are on the fence, but will listen and listening is good because that's a start. Again, turn that conversation around in terms of gender and the #metoo movement would absolutely destroy the male version of Sharon Osbourne and whomever agreed with her. And if what he said wouldn't have been instantly career ending, the chuckling non-apology would have been even more revolting.

And just to pound in how big of a piece of poo poo Sharon Osborn is, she made fun of a woman for being raped again in 2016. This has to do with prison rape. No one on the cast speaks up. Apologies for the lovely website. https://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/sharon-osbourne-rape-joke-teresa-giudice/

She still works today as an actress and herself. As late as last year she worked on Jane the Virgin. She is herself (or her brand at least) and shows up on Kimmel and Colbert. People keep hiring this awful old woman and it is a big deal because she can be charming at times and American audiences love British accents for some reason, but she's still an awful old woman. She gets work in places where people could just tell her no, you're trash, go away. But instead they bring her on because she's a face that people are familiar with.

I'm not trying to detract from women or paint them all as monsters. Far from it, most of the women that I know are pretty decent human beings. There are real structural and cultural problems that they deal with and I can't really begin to comprehend just how exhaustive and evil all of that is. What I will say is that people like S exist and get away with molesting young men because of the current state of the culture. People like Sharon Osbourne exist and they set the tone for what is acceptable and what is not. She's your British nana that just so happens to make rape jokes! And she still gets work in the #metoo era.

poo poo is real bad for how sexual assault is viewed for men right now. Progressive ideas are not all advancing at the same time, at the same pace, not even forwards and some are multiple decades back. If you look at the culture of the 70's and 80's, women being raped was just all over movies and often played for a laugh or to teach some sort of "moral" lesson like, "Hey if you get drunk around guys, this is what you get". And the message was often just to deal with it silently and accept it as her due and therefore a woman's due. That was the cultural gatekeeping of the time and you found it just ALL OVER movies at the time. And hell, there were messages to maybe enjoy it like in the Revenge of the Nerds movie where the main nerd has sex with someone while pretending to be her boyfriend. Instead of clawing his eyes out and throwing up and taking a million showers, she decides it was cool and that is a severely hosed up message to send to guys like me when I was growing up and watching that show on rerun back when I only had cable mid-nineties. And I feel like for men's sexual assault, that's where we are right now, stuck about 30-50 years backwards where women are today. If I were to get coerced or shamed or groped, the cop most likely laughs in my face and tells me to deal with it, maybe even enjoy it a little. Maybe they write a report and then it gets buried because other cops don't give a gently caress. And that's an echo of a far darker time for women still resounding today for men.

It's not just institutional. It's not just cultural. It's not just one person. There are sly reactionary forces trying to dictate what is acceptable in culture through media. Perhaps intentional to push a message, perhaps to turn a buck, possibly both, but poo poo's bad and a lot of it flies under the radar. My friends got molested and S didn't go to jail. My friend Q took it seriously, but he was a minority. Other people knew as I learned later. They didn't care because my friends were young men and not young women. "It wasn't their business". My molested friend suffers for it today with added anxiety and depression on top of what he already had from being victimized by other people. It almost happened to me too. I just got too old for her.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Finally Infrastructure week can commence.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

this is all stuff he's said in previous state of the unions and never followed up on

here is last year's address, i expect this year to be pretty much the same

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trumps-state-union-address/

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

luxury handset posted:

this is all stuff he's said in previous state of the unions and never followed up on

Saying things and never following up is pretty much his gimmick

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

The Super-Id posted:

Finally Infrastructure week can commence.

Infrastructure weak.

Arist posted:

Diamond and Silk are terrible people, honestly, but I have to respect the grift.

You really don't have to.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Crabtree posted:

Trump's final plan to escape his own criminal end is to transplant his brain into a black man.

The next Kanye album is gonna be really bad.

And, strangely, a lot about McDonald's and golf.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Didn’t it get discovered they were getting paid a comically low amount compared to everyone else too?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Xarthor posted:

I'm all for Twitter takedowns and whatever but why do senior Dems like Adam Schiff even bother responding to Sarah Sanders at this point? She's gone beyond the usual press secretary thing of "spinning" news stories to be favorable to the president and at this point is just out-and-out lying...and everyone knows it.

She's about equal to the 2003 Iraq Minister of Information guy who said American soldiers were not invading Baghdad, but instead were committing suicide by the hundreds of thousands.

Because Twitter takedowns take five seconds out of a staffer's day and quite frankly I don't like the idea of letting Sarah Sanders' wordbarf sit out there unchallenged.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Crabtree posted:

Oh I'm sure he'll hit all of those points and not derail into poo poo the people in his ear are telling him specifically not to do.

I don't expect any wackiness. They seem to drug him up pretty hard for the serious speeches. I think there's a better chance he just tips over and falls asleep then goes off on a tangent.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I think I said it yesterday, but those of you with the stomach to watch that poo poo tonight and tl/dr it for the rest of us are true American patriots, and I salute you :911:

Just maybe do some yoga or something beforehand so you go in relaxed, and try not to throw anything hard at your tvs

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
there is an official white house spanish twitter? Does it have stuff on it or is it just a google translate mirror of the english one?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

I don't expect any wackiness. They seem to drug him up pretty hard for the serious speeches. I think there's a better chance he just tips over and falls asleep then goes off on a tangent.

Yeah, I expect they threaten him with only one scoop of ice cream if he goes off the prompter during high-stakes speeches.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Yeah, I hesitated to comment on this because it doesn't feel like my place to say what black people should or shouldn't do or support, but it sure does seem like two black women supporting a vocal and open white supremacist might hurt other black people.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, I hesitated to comment on this because it doesn't feel like my place to say what black people should or shouldn't do or support, but it sure does seem like two black women supporting a vocal and open white supremacist might hurt other black people.

No, with Diamond and Silk, it's OK. They're water-carriers for people who would gladly throw them and every other POC in this country in front of a speeding train if it resulted in one more dollar in their own bank accounts. They sold their souls to the devil and didn't even get a drat golden fiddle.

They're certainly within their rights to do so, but we're also within our rights to call them out for the soulless Mouths of Sauron they've become.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

In general less people watch the speeches unless they know it’ll be crazy like the ending shutdown one. Tired droning Trump is hard to watch so unless someone heckles him and he loses it I don’t see anything coming from this.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

No, with Diamond and Silk, it's OK. They're water-carriers for people who would gladly throw them and every other POC in this country in front of a speeding train if it resulted in one more dollar in their own bank accounts. They sold their souls to the devil and didn't even get a drat golden fiddle.

Generous of you to think they wouldn't do it for less than a dollar.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ice Phisherman posted:

I was being facetious. It's really just funny to me how goddamn brazen these people can get, especially without their audience ever wising up to the cynicism at play.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Crow Jane posted:

I think I said it yesterday, but those of you with the stomach to watch that poo poo tonight and tl/dr it for the rest of us are true American patriots, and I salute you :911:

Just maybe do some yoga or something beforehand so you go in relaxed, and try not to throw anything hard at your tvs

you're enabling some really toxic self destructive behavior with posts like this

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
I guess I'm morbidly curious if he's going to declare a national emergency like he's in the middle of a climactic montage, but I absolutely don't need to hear his voice for two hours. I got laundry to do and some DMing to prep for.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Slugworth posted:

Giving cover to racial supremacists is a bad thing no matter your gender, creed, culture, skin tone, whatever. I do not respect their grift. I do not like them. They are bad faith actors who generate good will for those who would see African American people and women abused. Do not feed the white supremacists.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I guess I'm morbidly curious if he's going to declare a national emergency like he's in the middle of a climactic montage, but I absolutely don't need to hear his voice for two hours.

SotE

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

bobjr posted:

In general less people watch the speeches unless they know it’ll be crazy like the ending shutdown one. Tired droning Trump is hard to watch so unless someone heckles him and he loses it I don’t see anything coming from this.

No Democrat would heckle him--they're all smart enough to know that the media would make them into the villain.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Arist posted:

I was being facetious. It's really just funny to me how goddamn brazen these people can get, especially without their audience ever wising up to the cynicism at play.

It's getting harder and harder to be surprised by how brazen people can be. We live in the era of Trump. Farce has outpaced reality and consequences for some time now and it's taking time for the lead to diminish.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

No Democrat would heckle him--they're all smart enough to know that the media would make them into the villain.

Doctor Heckle and Cindy Hyde-Smith

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Ice Phisherman posted:

So this was a bit far back (a few hundred posts now), but it's what I get for effortposting. I wanted to add my own story and point of view.

When I was in my mid-teens teens my friends and I used to spend time with a woman I'll call S because she was cool and her kids were friends with my little brother. She was in...I want to say her early thirties when I first met her at fifteen. Eventually I invited my friends over and she loved that and we all had grand old times together. She was funny and sweet and I'd visit her house for years.

I remember my neighbor Q. He'd injured his back and couldn't mow his lawn, much less work. My mom voluntold me to mow his lawn for no pay because he was dealing with reduced pay for disability, though he'd still do nice things for me when he could and so sullen teenager anger turned into respect because he was trying. We'd talk a lot over his kitchen table when I was done over a bottle of water or juice or a soda while I got out of the baking South Carolina sun after strenuous work. And we developed a pretty good rapport over time because he was one of the first adults to treat me like an adult.

One day he asked me if I was part of S's "harem". Not laughing, not joking, really serious. And this is more serious than it sounds because Q is a black man in the South asking if a white woman was molesting me in unambiguous terms. I sometimes felt weird around S, but she was normally cool so I let it go. So I said no and he seemed to believe me so I dropped the subject, but I didn't glom onto the fact that he wasn't just asking about me, but my friends.

I learned years later that both of my friends, aged about fourteen or fifteen at the time, were both having sex with her. And it really messed one of my friends up, though he refused to explain why almost twenty years later, but he's plagued with low self-esteem and anxiety and I have a feeling that S was part of that- A brick in the foundation that is his deep self-loathing. It turned out that S had been sexually grooming all of us and how to recognize that sort of behaviors isn't taught in school. What he did explain was why she never made a move on me. And the answer was because I was too old at seventeen and she stopped with both of them once they got "too old". And I just became physically nauseous in response upon hearing that and give him a hug. The only reason she didn't prey on me was because I'd aged out of what she desired as a pedophile predator or whatever you want to call her.

So yes, women can definitely be capable of being sex monsters. Anyone can be witty and charming and funny and this has zero baring on who they are. I used to not take sexual assault by women seriously. I'd even laud it when a woman teacher preyed on a male student. The question if he was molested or not primarily revolved around her being hot or not and that's just how dumb I was at the time, but in retrospect women are just as capable of men of being horrible to people though the tactics for sexual abuse for men and women tend to differ. Some may not take this seriously. I sure didn't for years, but if I were to reverse the roles and S was a man and my friends were all teenage girls, she'd probably be in prison instead of getting away with it with a shoulder shrug at best. I could have laughed at my friend and told him to get over it, thereby shaming him even more for being molested. I didn't, though a younger me might have.

Part of untangling privilege and ushering in equality means judging people equally regardless of their sex or attractiveness or race. Yes, this means tackling abuses of power. That's the lion's share of where the problems come from. But there are also deep cultural blind spots that most people have that protect abusers as well.

To illustrate, I remember a moderately famous episode of a show called "The Talk" in 2011 where Sharon Osbourne and a few others...I can't remember their names, made fun of a man who'd been castrated by his wife for filing for divorce. She called it "fabulous". And she was forced to make an apology, but it was such a non-apology that they were all giggling while they were doing it. No one took it seriously, not even the people who had to okay the apology. From wikipedia, quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharon_Osbourne

To put it bluntly, being a regressive shithead is her brand. She's put in places specifically to be a regressive shithead and stir up controvery. To "just say what everyone's thinking". And the reason people think these things in the first place is because people like her maintain and reinforce toxic cultural norms. She was not the only one who made fun of the man, but she definitely led the charge while others took her lead. There was someone who spoke up (perhaps the only one not up there who wasn't trash) and Orbourne waved it away by saying it's different. I found a youtube video. Apologies for the heavy editorializing by the poster, but it was what I could find.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0jSxzeLezw

The women who were tackling this could have treated this as horrible and deserving of respect, that violence and abuse is wrong, but instead think of genital mutilation as somehow hilarious. I guarantee you that if the situation was reversed and it had been female genital mutilation there would have been general shock and moral outrage. The tone different. And before someone thinks that it's not a big deal, reverse the genders and put it on live television. Imagine five men talking about a man who'd cut off a woman's clitorous or carved up her vagina to the point where she couldn't have sex anymore laughing about it, one saying openly that, "I don't know why he did it, but maybe she deserved it" while an audience of men laugh and are shocked and laugh again. The one man who speaks up and isn't loving garbage gets waved away.

This is a big deal. These people are cultural gatekeepers and she is not alone. There are writers and editors and producers and people who work behind the scenes who set the tone and use her as a mouthpiece. They set the tone and enforce orthodoxy on what is acceptable and what is not. "Violence against women? Horrifying. Not okay. Violence against men? Yeah...*Snrk*, uh, bad I guess. Wait, did he deserve it? Now I'm not saying he deserved it but..." And that gets a pass.

Women watched this show for their daily dose of...I guess conversation about the events of the day. So while I see these enormous toxic, patriarchal power structures that should be disassembled, there are also competing cultural norms which are being constantly reinforced. When I talk to women about this stuff, some can turn from woke to regressive as any chud on a dime. And it highlights that some of the push for rights by women and for women is reactionary, not progressive. "Justice for me, not for thee."

Some women are cool or thankfully even understanding when I talk about it. Some are on the fence, but will listen and listening is good because that's a start. Again, turn that conversation around in terms of gender and the #metoo movement would absolutely destroy the male version of Sharon Osbourne and whomever agreed with her. And if what he said wouldn't have been instantly career ending, the chuckling non-apology would have been even more revolting.

And just to pound in how big of a piece of poo poo Sharon Osborn is, she made fun of a woman for being raped again in 2016. This has to do with prison rape. No one on the cast speaks up. Apologies for the lovely website. https://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/sharon-osbourne-rape-joke-teresa-giudice/

She still works today as an actress and herself. As late as last year she worked on Jane the Virgin. She is herself (or her brand at least) and shows up on Kimmel and Colbert. People keep hiring this awful old woman and it is a big deal because she can be charming at times and American audiences love British accents for some reason, but she's still an awful old woman. She gets work in places where people could just tell her no, you're trash, go away. But instead they bring her on because she's a face that people are familiar with.

I'm not trying to detract from women or paint them all as monsters. Far from it, most of the women that I know are pretty decent human beings. There are real structural and cultural problems that they deal with and I can't really begin to comprehend just how exhaustive and evil all of that is. What I will say is that people like S exist and get away with molesting young men because of the current state of the culture. People like Sharon Osbourne exist and they set the tone for what is acceptable and what is not. She's your British nana that just so happens to make rape jokes! And she still gets work in the #metoo era.

poo poo is real bad for how sexual assault is viewed for men right now. Progressive ideas are not all advancing at the same time, at the same pace, not even forwards and some are multiple decades back. If you look at the culture of the 70's and 80's, women being raped was just all over movies and often played for a laugh or to teach some sort of "moral" lesson like, "Hey if you get drunk around guys, this is what you get". And the message was often just to deal with it silently and accept it as her due and therefore a woman's due. That was the cultural gatekeeping of the time and you found it just ALL OVER movies at the time. And hell, there were messages to maybe enjoy it like in the Revenge of the Nerds movie where the main nerd has sex with someone while pretending to be her boyfriend. Instead of clawing his eyes out and throwing up and taking a million showers, she decides it was cool and that is a severely hosed up message to send to guys like me when I was growing up and watching that show on rerun back when I only had cable mid-nineties. And I feel like for men's sexual assault, that's where we are right now, stuck about 30-50 years backwards where women are today. If I were to get coerced or shamed or groped, the cop most likely laughs in my face and tells me to deal with it, maybe even enjoy it a little. Maybe they write a report and then it gets buried because other cops don't give a gently caress. And that's an echo of a far darker time for women still resounding today for men.

It's not just institutional. It's not just cultural. It's not just one person. There are sly reactionary forces trying to dictate what is acceptable in culture through media. Perhaps intentional to push a message, perhaps to turn a buck, possibly both, but poo poo's bad and a lot of it flies under the radar. My friends got molested and S didn't go to jail. My friend Q took it seriously, but he was a minority. Other people knew as I learned later. They didn't care because my friends were young men and not young women. "It wasn't their business". My molested friend suffers for it today with added anxiety and depression on top of what he already had from being victimized by other people. It almost happened to me too. I just got too old for her.

I just started a sexual assault survivor group and I'm the only man. My doctor and I were very wary about disrupting the safe space of the group, but there are no men's sexual assault survivor groups. Even after my doctor thought I would be a good fit, I didn't want to do it for a long time. When I did I was glad I did and i think the group is better for it. But we're glimpsing a chance for things to change.

I think that for many men the deep and seemingly inexplicable resistance to basic consent is because it would mean confronting their own traumas around sexual assault. I know I didn't know what consent was because I had it taken away from me in toxic relationships since I was a minor. But I hope your friends seek help for their trauma. For me it appeared as depressed, PTSD, anxiety and other things. It made me mean to romantic partners and when it didn't, it opened me up to abuse by them. I'll never be healed but at least I'm getting some help.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

kidkissinger posted:

you're enabling some really toxic self destructive behavior with posts like this

Obviously I'd rather no-one watch it at all, but I know some of y'all are masochists who were gonna do it anyway. I'm simply encouraging harm reduction.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I guess I'm morbidly curious if he's going to declare a national emergency like he's in the middle of a climactic montage, but I absolutely don't need to hear his voice for two hours. I got laundry to do and some DMing to prep for.

I'll be cleaning my kitchen or starting a Basque game in CK2. It'll probably be the latter.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I ain’t watching any of this poo poo tonight.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

The next Kanye album is gonna be really bad.

And, strangely, a lot about McDonald's and golf.

Quick somebody take his picture with a flashbulb

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
You guys remember the time Melania disappeared for a month and no one would tell us where she went?

And one day trump was all "She's fine and healthy look she's in that window there."

But she wasn't.

You guys remember that?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
All the weeklies in Destiny 2 are up again today, so that's what I'll be doing instead of paying attention to the orange turd.

InsertPotPun posted:

You guys remember the time Melania disappeared for a month and no one would tell us where she went?

And one day trump was all "She's fine and healthy look she's in that window there."

But she wasn't.

You guys remember that?

#SlenderMelania

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Not

Enough

Fetuses

https://mobile.twitter.com/LilaGraceRose/status/1092852877091950592

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Themagicalgoat posted:

I just started a sexual assault survivor group and I'm the only man. My doctor and I were very wary about disrupting the safe space of the group, but there are no men's sexual assault survivor groups. Even after my doctor thought I would be a good fit, I didn't want to do it for a long time. When I did I was glad I did and i think the group is better for it. But we're glimpsing a chance for things to change.

I think that for many men the deep and seemingly inexplicable resistance to basic consent is because it would mean confronting their own traumas around sexual assault. I know I didn't know what consent was because I had it taken away from me in toxic relationships since I was a minor. But I hope your friends seek help for their trauma. For me it appeared as depressed, PTSD, anxiety and other things. It made me mean to romantic partners and when it didn't, it opened me up to abuse by them. I'll never be healed but at least I'm getting some help.

Good luck friend.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I ain’t watching any of this poo poo tonight.

I hate myself and my liver so I'm going for it.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
If I had more time (and the brain capacity to actually comprehend the eons I’ve been alive since Trump took office), I’d be tempted to create a list of what happened for each of the various infrastructure weeks.

It’s gotta be full of Trump’s greatest hits.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

InsertPotPun posted:

But she wasn't.

You guys remember that?

I remember.

RIP melanie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Themagicalgoat posted:

I'm glad that you're getting help. Thank you for sharing.