Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
This seems to happen randomly. It usually happens when loading a thread, and goes away when loading a different thread. Has persisted for a few months now across multiple versions.

Edit: after loading the Awful thread from the link in settings
It went away again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

jokes posted:

Same, on iPhone 8. Spoilers are completely non-functional even after force closing. I restarted the phone and that seemed to work but when I loaded the next page it was broken again.

Semi-monthly +1 towards investigating the spoiler issue more, please. Thanks :)

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just got the beep for the new beta, looking forward to uploading images. Thanks contributors!

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hell yeah it worked :cheerdoge:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I found your secret menu

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Regular Nintendo posted:

I found your secret menu

It was mentioned in this thread and is in the release notes for the last version. It was added to tweak pull to refresh values.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Uploads working fine.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Latest public version of Awful, latest version of iOS, running on a 5s, spoilers still not working sometimes. I can highlight the text underneath but not reveal it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

It is the year 2076. Humanity lives underground, protected from the mutants that roam the frozen surface. The sun emits only the faintest light after the great catastrophe. Spoilers still do not work in Awful.app.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

It is the year 2076. Humanity lives underground, protected from the mutants that roam the frozen surface. The sun emits only the faintest light after the great catastrophe. Spoilers still do not work in Awful.app.

I’m not gonna lie spoilers are loving annoying anyway (the tags in threads). I feel like they are way over used.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

MarcusSA posted:

I’m not gonna lie spoilers are loving annoying anyway (the tags in threads). I feel like they are way over used.

They are, but it’s way more annoying when you can’t read behind them :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Weedle posted:

I'm resigned to our fate at this point

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

IllegallySober posted:

They are, but it’s way more annoying when you can’t read behind them :(

Highlight the text and have Siri read it. gently caress poo poo oval office motherfucker eat the rich Bush did nine eleven.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I found a bug, I think.

When you rate a thread using Awful App, it always registers as a 5, regardless of what you select.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fedule posted:

I found a bug, I think.

When you rate a thread using Awful App, it always registers as a 5, regardless of what you select.

Lol working as intended.

TBH I’d be surprised if the ratings registered at all.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fedule posted:

I found a bug, I think.

Rate threads other than mine

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Warbird posted:

I was having a minor issue accessing the 3 dot menu on a post but was able to bring it up via repeated taps or a long press. I’ve had similar success for spoiler and user pop up issues as well. Could the trigger box for these items be getting scaled weirdly for some reason? It seems like there’s a sweet spot that is more easily hit by the repeated tapping and/or long press.

Seems as plausible as anything else! I'll add it to the issue and maybe something will occur to somebody… because it sure hasn't occurred to me yet.

The man called M posted:

Is it okay for me to be that annoying gently caress who says that filter by tag still isn’t fixed after every update?

Always! :tipshat:

GutBomb posted:

Bug report: IOS 12.1.2 on an iPhone XR using the latest beta. So here’s a weird one that I’m not sure has been mentioned before. If you tap on someone’s name and view “their posts” you can use the pager to go back and forth and you can jump to a specific page by tapping jump, but if you use “last post” it stops filtering by their posts but leaves the pager in a state where it thinks you still are filtering by their posts.

This is a weird one. I haven't looked into it yet, but I suspect it won't be super complicated when I do!

ulmont posted:

The main private message page only shows the last 50 PMs initially, and the app doesn't support clicking through to the full list.

Yep. Showing the rest is on the list!

Jealous Cow posted:

This seems to happen randomly. It usually happens when loading a thread, and goes away when loading a different thread. Has persisted for a few months now across multiple versions.

Edit: after loading the Awful thread from the link in settings
It went away again.

I think a couple other people have seen the same thing, it's pretty weird. Thanks for the screenshots, every bit helps!

IllegallySober posted:

Semi-monthly +1 towards investigating the spoiler issue more, please. Thanks :)

Still pondering. Might be time for the good ol' "turn everything off, then turn things back on one by one".

Regular Nintendo posted:

I found your secret menu

It's tricky tricky tricky tricky

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm resigned to our fate at this point

WE WILL PERSEVERE

Fedule posted:

I found a bug, I think.

Ahaha whoops! Added to the list.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

Still pondering. Might be time for the good ol' "turn everything off, then turn things back on one by one".

My uneducated suggestion would be to roll back to the version before the one that started the issue and re-add everything else, but I have no idea how big of a pain in the rear end that is (I assume a large one :( )

Edit: whatever beta was released on 11/9/18, by a quick perusal of this thread, seems to have been the start of the issue if that’s helpful?

Referee fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 8, 2019

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

People with issues tapping spoilers/action buttons/post author headers: do you have "Alternate App Theme" enabled in Settings? What happens if you turn that off?

IllegallySober posted:

My uneducated suggestion would be to roll back to the version before the one that started the issue and re-add everything else, but I have no idea how big of a pain in the rear end that is (I assume a large one :( )

Edit: whatever beta was released on 11/9/18, by a quick perusal of this thread, seems to have been the start of the issue if that’s helpful?

It is helpful! But I think that might just be the oldest build still available on the beta? Builds expire after 90 days.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pokeyman posted:

People with issues tapping spoilers/action buttons/post author headers: do you have "Alternate App Theme" enabled in Settings? What happens if you turn that off?

:aaa:

I verified it was still not working before I turned off the alt theme, and now that poo poo works again.

Now, it has worked on and off sporadically, so I’m withholding my “you cracked the code” until I can go for an extended time.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I’ve never had it on and didn’t have the spoiler bug.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I've had it on and had the bug. Disabled it and will monitor.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I didn't remember that the alternative theme existed, but it looks like I do have it on. Since the spoiler thing is sporadic anyway, I'll wait till it happens again and then turn it off to test it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Never had any spoiler issues and don’t use the alt theme.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

It is helpful! But I think that might just be the oldest build still available on the beta? Builds expire after 90 days.

I did have that turned on, yes. I’ll leave it off for a few days and see if spoilers stay working. :)

Edit: I’m going to feel real dumb if that was the solution because I should have tried that myself. I do like the alternate theme a lot, though. Hopefully we can get that working for spoilers if that’s the issue :)

Referee fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 8, 2019

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

pokeyman posted:

I previously did, and I overall prefer the alt app theme's aesthetics, but I turned it off months ago when I realized it was easier to read hyperlinks in the mainstream(?) app theme when I had my phone at minimum brightness. I have still experienced difficulties tapping spoilers sometimes. I do keep Dark Mode on permanently, though!

Speaking of darkness spreading across the land, would it be possible to brighten both the regular thread view's hyperlink color as well as the new post view's text cursor in the new-post view? In low-light conditions, the text cursor's vertical bar is more difficult to distinguish from the background than anything else -- especially when you force-press the keyboard to freely move the cursor around the text box.

Awful's been much better about remembering my place in a thread when reopening, as well as actually linking to a specific post in an already-loaded page, since the latest App Store update. Thanks for the fix(es) in last week's update!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I don’t use the alternate theme, and have had the spoiler bug.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

No alt theme never had the bug, iPhone X /shrug

The Dave fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 8, 2019

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Can we get a setting to disable/enable the tweaks menu gesture? I am triggering it ALL THE TIME when I use my phone in bed. After I’ve navigated to something I want to read I let my phone slide down my hand so it rests on my chest and when it does it triggers the menu like almost every time. Then to dismiss it I’ve got to pick it up again because the button to dismiss it is on the bottom right corner. I know it’s a little thing but it’s become really annoying. Maybe even having the dismiss button at the top instead of the bottom would be enough?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I’m alternate all the time and had the bug. It’s gone on the debug version with your changes so far. Which means I caused it when I hamfistedly crammed the alternate theme in there. Sorry!

I also have a small fix I made in my OLED theme branch that I’ll send over, the alternate themes aren’t pointing at the right css files.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Was using the alt theme and experiencing the spoiler bug. I’ve disabled and will report back. Using a XS.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

I did have that turned on, yes. I’ll leave it off for a few days and see if spoilers stay working. :)

Edit: I’m going to feel real dumb if that was the solution because I should have tried that myself. I do like the alternate theme a lot, though. Hopefully we can get that working for spoilers if that’s the issue :)

I got real excited and wanted people to test what I found, but don’t worry: a fix for the alternate theme will be in the next version (not the one that just came out today).

It explains a lot of the spoilers issue, but seemingly not all of it. Should make a big difference at least.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 9, 2019

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

I got real excited and wanted people to test what I found, but don’t worry: a fix for the alternate theme will be in the next version (not the one that just came out today).

It explains a lot of the spoilers issue, but seemingly not all of it. Should make a big difference at lest.

Here’s hoping :toot:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

What’s your line of thinking on the spoilers to alt theme link?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Warbird posted:

I messed up the implementation of the alt theme and as a result changes to the spoiler element css were not being picked up by the alternate theme's stylesheet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A small thing:

If someone puts a gif in spoiler tags, there seems to be no way to make it play, since tapping on the play button makes it re-spoiler.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Data Graham posted:

A small thing:

If someone puts a gif in spoiler tags, there seems to be no way to make it play, since tapping on the play button makes it re-spoiler.

+1 to this, and also I haven't been able to longpress-to-open gifs any more like other images, when I have the tap-to-play-gifs setting on. Unless it was fixed by one of the two App Store updates in the past week or so!

e: oops, that's a tumblr URL, so it doesn't get the tap-to-play-gif overlay, and I CAN longpress-to-open that gif. Here's an imgur reupload:

With the tap-to-play overlay on the imgur gif, I cannot longpress-to-open that gif.

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 9, 2019

Warbird
May 23, 2012

carry on then posted:

I messed up the implementation of the alt theme and as a result changes to the spoiler element css were not being picked up by the alternate theme's stylesheet.

Ah the classic “whoopsiedoodle”. Happens to the best of us. Good to see some progress there.

So what’s the story with the imgur uploads? I saw the improvements mentioned in the latest patch but I don’t actually see where/how to do them in the app.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hardly necessary any more but I finally got to test it out and swapping back and forth between the normal and alternate themes had the spoilers working in normal and not in alternate every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Grace Baiting posted:

I previously did, and I overall prefer the alt app theme's aesthetics, but I turned it off months ago when I realized it was easier to read hyperlinks in the mainstream(?) app theme when I had my phone at minimum brightness. I have still experienced difficulties tapping spoilers sometimes. I do keep Dark Mode on permanently, though!
Good to know, thanks. I'm starting to think I'll never quite close the "spoilers don't works sometimes" bug. But what else is new :)

quote:

Speaking of darkness spreading across the land, would it be possible to brighten both the regular thread view's hyperlink color as well as the new post view's text cursor in the new-post view? In low-light conditions, the text cursor's vertical bar is more difficult to distinguish from the background than anything else -- especially when you force-press the keyboard to freely move the cursor around the text box.

Both doable and both good points!

GutBomb posted:

Can we get a setting to disable/enable the tweaks menu gesture? I am triggering it ALL THE TIME when I use my phone in bed.

Yep!

carry on then posted:

I’m alternate all the time and had the bug. It’s gone on the debug version with your changes so far. Which means I caused it when I hamfistedly crammed the alternate theme in there. Sorry!

I also have a small fix I made in my OLED theme branch that I’ll send over, the alternate themes aren’t pointing at the right css files.

No worries, glad to hear it's (mostly?) gone away! And thanks for the fix, it'll be in the next beta.

Warbird posted:

It's as carry on then said, but to add a lil detail: WKWebView (and Safari on iOS) doesn't fire click events on a lot of elements (elements that aren't typically clickable). One way to work around it by setting cursor: pointer on those elements. I did that awhile back in the base style file, but that change didn't propagate to the alternate theme. I only noticed it when deleting some old, unused style rules and noticed that a couple of the .css files hadn't regenerated.

Data Graham posted:

A small thing:

This is fixed in the next version.

(I'll reply to the remaining posts in a bit, gotta run!)