Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Noctone posted:

Revali’s VA really nailed the stereotypical pompous gay bird vibe.
this be him https://twitter.com/sonicmega

He is really good. probably the best VA they got for the game, or at least the one with the best performance in specifically botw. maybe the voice direction was really bad, we don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amppelix posted:

this be him https://twitter.com/sonicmega

He is really good. probably the best VA they got for the game, or at least the one with the best performance in specifically botw. maybe the voice direction was really bad, we don't know.

Most of the VAs are decent-good in other stuff so I'm inclined to blame direction. Nintendo has a really bad track record with English VA direction (Super Mario Sunshine, Other M, etc)

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

The Bloop posted:

Thanks a lot, Fox

This was all I ever heard.

Gee, I've been saved by Fox. How swell.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

At first Daruuk was the best champion because I set the language to japanese and I know that aibo doesn't mean little man, he's just calling you his partner all the time and that's gonna get a hell yeah from me.

Then I did champion's ballad and got the cutscene where Revali meets Zelda and that made me like him a lot better. He's really pompous, but he's like that because he's just really proud of all of the effort and time he spent getting as good as he is. Urbosa's ballad scene was good as hell too, but it was straight up reinforcing what we already knew about her, nothing really new to show us.

Really the only champion I don't like all that much is Mipha, but that's mainly because it seems like there's a decent story there for her to be like everyone's older sister, but every single time she even sees Link it becomes all about him and it's gross.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Zelda sounds fine in the memories and bad when she's doing telepathy at you, so I think they just directed the actor to overdo the Breathy Voice Of Mystical Revelation.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I just like BOTW's Zelda so much more than any other iteration of the character. She subverts the usual stereotypes, sorta like Tetra.... but unlike Tetra, she does it in a fun and satisfying way. She's a beautiful mystical destined princess.... who absolutely doesn't want to be, and is really a giant loving nerd who thinks it would be a lot more practical to laser-gently caress Ganon to death with an army of robots than to rely on ancient prophecies and un-quantifiable magic powers.

Yet for all that, she also knows exactly how important her responsibilities are and willingly goes through with them despite hating every minute of it and nearly being crushed by the weight of said responsibility. She almost enjoys her adventure at times.... it lets her go out and see parts of the world she may not otherwise ever have been able to, and take a hands-on approach to so many of things she's researched in her books and articles... but in the end, she's always called back to reality by just why she's there.

She also fully resigns herself in the end, staring down Ganon with the very ancestral power she resents but whose important she can't deny. The sacrifice seems all the more meaningful in that context; her lingering reservations are now fully gone, and she's willing to do whatever it takes to protect her people. Even relying on bullshit magical crap.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Now how cool would it be if the game had more than five minutes of screentime for her

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Amppelix posted:

Now how cool would it be if the game had more than five minutes of screentime for her

I really wish the DLC could have been some postgame adventure of her and Link doing things.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Make the next Zelda game actually feature Zelda and unleash the chud flood.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kaysette posted:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kaysette posted:

It would be pretty funny to see shitheads get worked up over a Legend of Zelda game staring Zelda.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SeANMcBAY posted:

It would be pretty funny to see shitheads get worked up over a Legend of Zelda game staring Zelda.

Spirit Tracks had her as the co-protagonist and had some really fun interplay between her and Link.

Setting up a partnership system like that again could be rad.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

Zelda sounds fine in the memories and bad when she's doing telepathy at you, so I think they just directed the actor to overdo the Breathy Voice Of Mystical Revelation.

yeah, this.

some of the memories are a little overwrought maybe, but whatever, it didn't really bother me.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The character development was really good for how brief it is. She's trying to be Skyward Sword Zelda and can't seem to get it because she's only doing it because her dad is making her. Once she tries to use it selflessly, for the sake of someone she cares about instead of for the sake of obligation, it all falls into place.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Kaysette posted:

This, but also make her not lily white too

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Zore posted:

Spirit Tracks had her as the co-protagonist and had some really fun interplay between her and Link.

Setting up a partnership system like that again could be rad.

Ooh I never played that. Thanks for the reminder.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Ok I finished the dlc, finally, and the last dungeon plus the boss were really great. THAT'S what I wanted out of dlc. Good stuff. The other bonus shrines were alright, and the tuning fork challenge to kick it off felt like they needed something to pad out to make it feel "worth it".

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kaysette posted:

Well I mean the character you play in every game is named Zelda. :shepface:

Backhand posted:

I just like BOTW's Zelda so much more than any other iteration of the character. She subverts the usual stereotypes, sorta like Tetra.... but unlike Tetra, she does it in a fun and satisfying way.

Do not dare to besmirch the name of the blessed Tetra.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Whoa I thought you had to light all the blue flame torches until now

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Zelda just wants Link to eat a frog.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

track day bro! posted:

Zelda just wants Link to eat a frog.

It's great how much this sounds like a euphemism and isn't

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

It's interesting how the line-to-line writing and voicework is pretty bad but the story resonates enough that your mind can smooth over the cracks

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Fuzz posted:

How the gently caress did they decide on Zelda's English VA, because holy poo poo is her voice grating and really annoying.

That's probably the worst part of the game. I'd be embarrassed to play with someone else around when she talks. Everyone else is delightful,though.

I now appreciate master mode after playing for a bit, but I went back to normal mode to do the sword trials and find random masks. God this game is great.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What the gently caress am I supposed to do against the Red Lynel on top of the Zora mountain? This is the very first region I’ve traveled to, so my gear’s still all poo poo.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Technically you don't need to kill it, just run around grabbing the lightning arrows in the trees until you have 20+.

It's a good opportunity to practice blade flurries and parrys, but lynels are pretty tough and you'll want some good food buffs and weapons if you want to kill one.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Regalingualius posted:

What the gently caress am I supposed to do against the Red Lynel on top of the Zora mountain? This is the very first region I’ve traveled to, so my gear’s still all poo poo.

Do what all the Zoras tell you to; don't fight it, just sneak around nabbing arrows out of trees.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Regalingualius posted:

Find joy in the fact that you are still traversing a frightening world, but know that one day you will be able to return and conquer this Lynel without fear.

Also, yeah, you don’t have to kill it to get the stuff you need from its arena.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I started master mode, thank gently caress for the korok leaf

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Technically you don't need to kill it, just run around grabbing the lightning arrows in the trees until you have 20+.

It's a good opportunity to practice blade flurries and parrys, but lynels are pretty tough and you'll want some good food buffs and weapons if you want to kill one.

I wish I'd been less terrified of Lynels on my first playthrough. I didn't challenge Lynels until I'd already beaten the game, and all Lynel and Mighty Lynel Spears and Crushers were gone from the game.

Not that the Savage Lynel gear isn't better, but by the time I'd firmly decided to fill the Compendium with my own pictures, the option no longer existed for those four weapons.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You don't even need to set foot on the mountain, you can just gently caress off and explore elsewhere until you find other sources of them.

Does the game even actually force you to have 20+ before moving on? It seems like that's actual major overkill for the fight you need them for.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The next zelda game is gonna be about the gerudo zelda. (in my heart)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Regalingualius posted:

The fact that Link ran behind a rock as soon as he saw it, and there's absolutely no requirement to kill it, is a hint.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I liked all the English voice acting in BOTW including Zelda. It wasn’t amazing but it was nice to see unique voices that aren’t in every other game.

https://twitter.com/zeldainformer/status/1093290744406716418?s=21

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

You don't even need to set foot on the mountain, you can just gently caress off and explore elsewhere until you find other sources of them.

Does the game even actually force you to have 20+ before moving on? It seems like that's actual major overkill for the fight you need them for.

The fact that you can use cryonis to break the ice blocks (and don't need to use a normal arrow) for the initial circle fight with the elephant totally escaped me my first run, and I died because of it. I had to go and farm up arrows to get through the fight.

It does force you to have 20 though, yeah.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

30:11.98 any % Speedrun gat drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnbWyAIvdPY

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

What does any% mean?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TraderStav posted:

What does any% mean?

It's not a 100% do everything run, nor is it a low% run where you do the bare minimum that's required. It quite literally is just any% completion the runner wants; balancing the time taken to get hearts or stamina upgrades or whatever against the time that will be saved by having those upgrades.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo that clip right out of the starting room is crazy

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I like how his last three splits are "ganon", "ganon", and "ganon".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

jivjov posted:

It's not a 100% do everything run, nor is it a low% run where you do the bare minimum that's required. It quite literally is just any% completion the runner wants; balancing the time taken to get hearts or stamina upgrades or whatever against the time that will be saved by having those upgrades.

Ahh, I don't know much about this genre of gaming culture but it makes sense that there would be different classifications of the speedruns.

How many dozen hours does the 100% "speed" run of this game clip in at??