Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

chiasaur11 posted:

Do you want Spiral Nemesis? Because that's how you get Spiral Nemesis.

(Seriously, it's kind of funny that the evolution energy in the series about punching the universe so hard it gives up and agrees that you're allowed to do whatever you want has the message "But seriously, this poo poo can out of control. Exercise restraint when using the energy of evolution to throw galaxies at people." and the one where the protagonists are cheery psychopaths has them freak the gently caress out at the eventual results of this power taken to its logical conclusion, but the one that started out about semi-realistic geopolitics is all "Just throw that evolution energy everywhere! What could go wrong?")

One of my favorite bits of TTGL is when Boota uses evolution energy to advance himself to a humanoid form and the Anti-Spiral just goes "Huh, that's novel. But now you're sapient enough for me to stuff you into a memory hole so bye."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's just so...awfully convenient that the GN particles also prove to be CB's chief technological advantage as well as a catalyst in human evolution that also just happens to be similar to the biological terminals of CB's quantum computer.

Like, Gundam Unicorn almost has that same problem but newtypes are sort of incidental to UC. At the core of it it's just humans becoming psychic. Zeon's theory of newtypes turns out to been woefully optimistic because newtypes misunderstand one another perfectly fine. But hey, dude wasn't entirely off base, he just had an idealized view but actually getting there involves plenty of friction arising from change and the human condition. Unicorn's whole final secret UN clause feels incredibly awkward and just conveniently vague. It sort of tries to avoid being a contrivance the way 00's innovators/GN particles are, but stands out as more contrived because we're not dumb. That's just how I feel anyway.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Argas posted:

It's just so...awfully convenient that the GN particles also prove to be CB's chief technological advantage as well as a catalyst in human evolution that also just happens to be similar to the biological terminals of CB's quantum computer.

Like, Gundam Unicorn almost has that same problem but newtypes are sort of incidental to UC. At the core of it it's just humans becoming psychic. Zeon's theory of newtypes turns out to been woefully optimistic because newtypes misunderstand one another perfectly fine. But hey, dude wasn't entirely off base, he just had an idealized view but actually getting there involves plenty of friction arising from change and the human condition. Unicorn's whole final secret UN clause feels incredibly awkward and just conveniently vague. It sort of tries to avoid being a contrivance the way 00's innovators/GN particles are, but stands out as more contrived because we're not dumb. That's just how I feel anyway.

What I don't get is what prompted them to write it in the first place. Yes, I know, anime, but still. The rest of Future is talking about potential extraterrestrial life and the threat and potential of that (what if Space Plague, or Aliens?), but the wording of the article seems out of left field. Why would you wait for people living in space to be distinguished as "space adapted?" What does "space adapted" mean? Do they have to be able to survive in hard vacuum? Not lose muscle and bone mass in prolonged micro-gravity? More resilient to radiation? Newtypes technically fit the bill, but any meaningful speciation of space immigrants would take thousands of years if you are assuming normal progression of things, so the idea of baking it into your constitution is odd.

Nevermind that the presumption, that said space-adapted humans are not involved in government already, begs the question of how the constitution handles representation. Does it explicitly declare which Federation states have voting rights? Does it explicitly exclude the space colonies? Based on images pulled off of google... it doesn't. In fact, scrubbing those lines from the charter does nothing to absolve the mandates put forth in the charter, which seems to say that the colonists are Federation citizens, with all the rights and privileges thereof.

Essentially, pointing out that Newtypes might trigger that clause is... I guess it's something to force people to critically examine whether or not the Federation has been actually letting its citizens participate in the government? The more I look at it, the less sense it makes to me.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figured part of why Newtypes happened so fast in evolutionary terms is that it was a latent thing that mostly didn't matter when your soul was bound by gravity but developed a lot more readily in the space-colony environment. Like the psychic equivalent of not having childhood diseases and being fed a nourishing diet throughout your childhood.

Also without big amplifying machines it seems to be tele-empathy and spatial awareness, which are both a lot easier to overlook than "TK Crusher".

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Warmachine posted:

What I don't get is what prompted them to write it in the first place.

Some characters in the Unicorn anime say it was sort of as an apology for forcing mankind into space the way they did (effectively moving the underclasses to space and leaving the Earth for the wealthier people, until they created their own underclass anyway). It's still a terrible reason.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The clause should really have been about the Sides being automatically granted independence after X years.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/yatate_hajime/status/1092784659157733377

Last panel: "I had it laminated". :lol:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lemon-Lime posted:

The clause should really have been about the Sides being automatically granted independence after X years.

This would have both been a plausible reason to have it suppressed/altered and also a plausible reason for the Federation to be terrified of what could be in the box(and thus make Laplace's Box way more satisfying as a story element), but it wouldn't dovetail as hard with the ~!NEWTYPES!~ thing Unicorn really wanted to push as its central pillar.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah independence after X years would have been made way more sense then that loving "evolved humans" thing. Everything about that clause, from it's creation, removal and wording is just the dumbest thing.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

idgi

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There's a scene early in Gundam Wing where Relena invites Heero to a party and he responds by tearing the invitation to pieces in front of her.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Heero tried to tear up another birthday invitation like a cool guy, but failed because it was laminated in anticipation of just such an event.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40Hiz8fEkws

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

me when the UPS guy asks for my signature

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kanos posted:

This would have both been a plausible reason to have it suppressed/altered and also a plausible reason for the Federation to be terrified of what could be in the box(and thus make Laplace's Box way more satisfying as a story element), but it wouldn't dovetail as hard with the ~!NEWTYPES!~ thing Unicorn really wanted to push as its central pillar.

It'd be convoluted, but having Ricardo Marcenas actually bake in the independence clause, but the clause being suppressed because the first Newtype had already been born, the Federation hardliners knew this, and deliberately iron-fisted the colonies because they were afraid of accidentally creating a bunch of charismatic superhumans that could overthrow them. Go all-in on "the old rich people afraid of their own irrelevance, so they punch down and create conspiracies that ratfuck the world."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Marx Headroom posted:

me when the UPS guy asks for my signature

Do you usually threaten to murder your delivery drivers?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do you usually threaten to murder your delivery drivers?

Do you not?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Do you not?

I miss my old ups driver. the new guy isn't up to snuff.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

There's a scene early in Gundam Wing where Relena invites Heero to a party and he responds by tearing the invitation to pieces in front of her.

:doh: I am ashamed that I forgot that though in my defense the characters look very different.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Someone just showed me the designs and characters of For the Barrel. I'm actually pretty sad it never went anywhere because I like them a lot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

TheManSeries posted:

Someone just showed me the designs and characters of For the Barrel. I'm actually pretty sad it never went anywhere because I like them a lot.

Yeah, For The Barrel was a really interesting concept, there's a guy on Pixiv who drew some fan art for it of his take on how certain Mobile Suits and Mobile Armors would look in it's style

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TheManSeries posted:

I think there was a novel?

I know I've discussed the designs before. The way everyone has the same basic build strikes me as much less visually useful than Yas's stuff.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hey, it turns out we had a Gundam fan in the White House!

https://twitter.com/seanspicer/status/302491904707272704

The holocaust centers guy

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Frankly I’m shocked he wasn’t a Zeon guy.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Then again I guess he could use all the salt he found during his Press Secretary stint to save the White Base.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chiasaur11 posted:

I think there was a novel?

I know I've discussed the designs before. The way everyone has the same basic build strikes me as much less visually useful than Yas's stuff.

My interest in For The Barrel is primarily in the mechanical design aesthetic

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
You lot might enjoy this: What a Cartoon (a spin-off from the Talking Simpsons podcast) have done an episode on original Gundam, specifically Garma's Fate:

http://whatacartoonfeed.libsyn.com/what-a-cartoon-mobile-suit-gundam-garmas-fate

I've been on a bit of a kick with their content of late, it's well worth a look.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

You lot might enjoy this: What a Cartoon (a spin-off from the Talking Simpsons podcast) have done an episode on original Gundam, specifically Garma's Fate:

http://whatacartoonfeed.libsyn.com/what-a-cartoon-mobile-suit-gundam-garmas-fate

I've been on a bit of a kick with their content of late, it's well worth a look.

I should give this a watch later. Garma's fate is when mobile suit gundam turns into something great. I absolutely love Degwin's reaction to Garma's death.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

what a nice guy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I have watched Gundam NT, and I think I hate it a lot. A great deal.

If there's a neat detail, it's that big money is becoming waaaay less subtle with muscling around the military into doing its bidding. Not even hiding in the shadows, it's about as blatant as it's ever been. On the other hand, I think the main cast is absolute irredeemable garbage. Jona is fine, I guess, but holy moly they're all kinda awful. Psyframe poo poo is not interesting to me, and leaning harder and harder into it kills any interest I have in further UC stuff.

Edit: also it does not look good quite often. Not sure why you make a movie if you're not gonna give it a decent budget

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 14, 2019

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Edit: also it does not look good quite often. Not sure why you make a movie if you're not gonna give it a decent budget

some TV-rear end frames. What was the point of this film anyway? (besides vigilaNTe which is a 150% dose of sawano trash)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LmzoSZ47zM

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

RangerKarl posted:

What was the point of this film anyway?

Keep milking Unicorn. Rename UC to Unicorn Century indeed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Keep milking Unicorn. Rename UC to Unicorn Century indeed.

Oh yeah, baby.

It's Johnny Ridden time.

Speaking of the Crimson Lightning, finally been reading his manga. As expected from the team behind the Plot to Assassinate Gihren, it's mostly a good time so far.

Only about 20 chapters in, but they've given themselves an interesting central dynamic with the lead.

Led Wayline is supposed to be a kind of a working Joe test pilot. He's got skills (fucker took down a cyber newtype in a Gaplant with a core booster), but basically he's a regular guy.

Johnny Ridden, on the other hand, was a living legend. Every member of his unit respected him. He did incredible things, the kind of guy everyone would have stories about. (When a shot down Ball pilot early in the war cursed him out and swore vengeance once the Feds had mobile suits, Johnny flew over and went, basically "See? THAT'S what I'm talking about! I insist you take my emblem. Put it on the next thing you pilot, so when I shoot you down I know I'm finishing off a man I can RESPECT.")

And everyone who meets Led who knew Johnny Ridden is supposed to go, in a short time of meeting him "Hey! It's Johnny!"

So far, it's been pretty good about making that feel natural.

Edit: They just referenced Rise From The Ashes for a major plot point!

...I am now the kind of Gundam fan who not only recognizes when a manga references an old Dreamcast FPS, but who gets excited about it. Definitely deep in the weeds vis a vis Gundam.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 16, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I like the Astray with the big hat

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

Edit: They just referenced Rise From The Ashes for a major plot point!

...I am now the kind of Gundam fan who not only recognizes when a manga references an old Dreamcast FPS, but who gets excited about it. Definitely deep in the weeds vis a vis Gundam.

That one has gotten a manga adaptation recently too, under the name 'Ground Zero'. I haven't read it though so I'm not sure if it's any good.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

That one has gotten a manga adaptation recently too, under the name 'Ground Zero'. I haven't read it though so I'm not sure if it's any good.

Here's hoping it was better than the one based off the Gamecube(?) game (Lost War Chronicles).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I like the Astray with the big hat

It is amazing to me that the Astray franchise is *still loving going.*

Like it is an absurd powerhouse of a sidestory manga thing that has been going for like a solid 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

It is amazing to me that the Astray franchise is *still loving going.*

Like it is an absurd powerhouse of a sidestory manga thing that has been going for like a solid 15 years.

Astray has outlasted its source franchise as a story, which is hilarious.