Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

They removed Reed's hat and an option to shoot Edward as Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Magissima posted:

I think Paradox has made a fuss about hosting mods on GitHub in the past because they wanted mods to only be available on their forums or steam, presumably because both are inaccessible to pirates. I can sympathize, and I do enjoy seeing people who have obviously pirated the game asking for mod download links, but imo the benefit of having mods be open source and easily editable way outweighs that. Presumably they don't care about Darkest Hour mods at this point, but I don't know if if they'd allow it for HOI4.

Edit: also the HOI4 KR devs are so up their own asses with secret reworks and poo poo I doubt they'd be interested anyway

I still haven't gotten my Paradox forums account to work. But are there even any mods that are not on the Steam workshop?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Torrannor posted:

I still haven't gotten my Paradox forums account to work. But are there even any mods that are not on the Steam workshop?

There's a size limit for the steam workshop which some of the total conversions don't fit, but also... I think some chunks of the preexisting modern culture just never moved over to steam workshop. Victoria 2 also doesn't have a workshop I'm pretty sure (and some of those mods probably no longer have modders paying any attention even though they still work since victoria 2 isn't getting updated anymore, so even if there was a workshop there'd be important stuff just not getting uploaded to it.)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Didn't a bunch of them have to recently update their mods to work after Wiz made a final update for Victoria 2 like a year ago in his spare time?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

reignonyourparade posted:

There's a size limit for the steam workshop which some of the total conversions don't fit, but also... I think some chunks of the preexisting modern culture just never moved over to steam workshop. Victoria 2 also doesn't have a workshop I'm pretty sure (and some of those mods probably no longer have modders paying any attention even though they still work since victoria 2 isn't getting updated anymore, so even if there was a workshop there'd be important stuff just not getting uploaded to it.)

Hmm, that's good to know. Yet I haven't seen any mod that was not on steam that I really wanted. But I tried like five times to get my Paradox account activated, without success, I'm not going to try a sixth time.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Didn't a bunch of them have to recently update their mods to work after Wiz made a final update for Victoria 2 like a year ago in his spare time?
It was Wiz and Groogy (I think) and some other internal guys who arent on SA (I think) and yes I think you are right.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It was two years ago, not so much recently anymore. I think some of them just got compatibility corrections by randos in their threads as well.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Torrannor posted:

The fan made converters (and probably most other tools) are only there as a placeholder to a download link, because the workshop strips out the executable from the converters.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

They just announced the release date of Imperator on stream - 25th of April :hist101:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

canepazzo posted:

They just announced the release date of Imperator on stream - 25th of April :hist101:
Dayum that is way earlier than I expected. I am looking forward to reading about it and all the enthusiasm before it all comes crashing down, as is tradition.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I don’t think Imperator is gonna be a day-one buy for me. Paradox has not been on a super hot streak recently - HoI4 didn’t wow me and Stellaris was half-baked at release (though post-launch development has been mostly
excellent). Imperator looks solid but the info so far hasn’t built much hype. It feels like maybe a Sengoku or March of the Eagles type thing to test concepts for another game that they are more excited about.

Would love to be pleasantly surprised though.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Literally right before my next school term starts.

rip to my 4.0 :(

e: I’m absolutely super hype for this game and ready to play dozens of hours in the first weeks despite it being a broken mess

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

canepazzo posted:

Do we have a thread for Imperator?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Bold Robot posted:

I don’t think Imperator is gonna be a day-one buy for me. Paradox has not been on a super hot streak recently - HoI4 didn’t wow me and Stellaris was half-baked at release (though post-launch development has been mostly
excellent). Imperator looks solid but the info so far hasn’t built much hype. It feels like maybe a Sengoku or March of the Eagles type thing to test concepts for another game that they are more excited about.

Same.

alcaras posted:

Do we have a thread for Imperator?
Its been this thread so far since there hasnt been much to talk about yet.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah Imperator is not a first day buy for me either. It doesn't look all that fun or engaging right now because every dev diary is just "here's a number! you can make it go up or down!"

Johan might be a gifted programmer and design lead but he's not very good at selling a product.

But maybe with a release date the Dev Diaries will be more interesting? I dunno. I want to like Imperator but I'm struggling to find much of a case for it other than it being "EU4 but with Classical Era paint"

edit: looking at today's diary it appears Johan isn't writing them any more, apologies.

axeil fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 5, 2019

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I don't understand why the unexpected popularity of CK2 didn't make them make that in ancient times instead of another EU.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Idc about Imperator because it's just a testing bed for v3 concepts

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
drat, I was hoping for 15 March.

That said after Stellaris and HOI4 I'm not going to day 1 it, despite being a total sucker for anything to do with classical antiquity.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'll wait and see people's immediate reactions and the price tag, then I'll buy it day one regardless 'cause I'm a sucker for Paradox games.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's hosed imperator got a release date before man the guns

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
EU4 and CK2 are both fantastic but I haven't been crazy about any games they released since then. Stellaris had cool mechanics but a brain dead AI ruined it imo. I never bought HOI4 but heard it was similar. I'll probably hold off on imperator until it gets to the $10 range unless it gets rave reviews.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gort posted:

I'll wait and see people's immediate reactions and the price tag, then I'll buy it day one regardless 'cause I'm a sucker for Paradox games.

$40, end of the second paragraph.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

y'all are crazy lol imperator is looking tight

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Idc about Imperator because it's just a testing bed for v3 concepts

I'm pretty sure "testing bed for V3 concepts" has been said about every Paradox game released since V2.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Hell it's been said about Stellaris and I don't see Vicky 2 coming out yet.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Gort posted:

:same:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m actually more excited than I was at first but I wish they started telling us the interesting poo poo a little earlier

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I will buy it day one then immediately start working on a mod to make Populists as annoying as possible

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah watch a stream or something before deciding whether to purchase. I was not terribly excited with all the dev diaries, but watching it in action it looks really smooth and full of QoL features. It all looks way better in action than described.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Takanago posted:

I will buy it day one then immediately start working on a mod to make Populists as annoying as possible

:helladid:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

t feels like maybe a Sengoku or March of the Eagles type thing to test concepts for another game that they are more excited about.

It's cool and good to be skeptical but this is crazy imo.

I agree with you on HOI4 and Stellaris, but I somehow still spent 200 hours on each so maybe I'm the crazy one.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

maybe I'm the crazy one.
Nah

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fuligin posted:

y'all are crazy lol imperator is looking tight

It looks... alright. Competent. I'll probably buy it on release.

I'm not certain what they've shown of the mechanics would be enough to tempt me if I didn't like the period's enormous alt-history potential.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Autonomous Monster posted:

I'm not certain what they've shown of the mechanics would be enough to tempt me if I didn't like the period's enormous alt-history potential.
Tbf this is true of most PDS games

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Party In My Diapee posted:

I don't understand why the unexpected popularity of CK2 didn't make them make that in ancient times instead of another EU.

Is this true? I haven't followed any of the development and I was looking forward to it just because it's CK2 in an era I like even more. And with how important key figures were in that era, you would think the rpg stuff from CK2 would carry over. I'd be very disappointed if it's more EU thank CK.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Eimi posted:

Is this true? I haven't followed any of the development and I was looking forward to it just because it's CK2 in an era I like even more. And with how important key figures were in that era, you would think the rpg stuff from CK2 would carry over. I'd be very disappointed if it's more EU thank CK.

It's eu:rome 2, with exactly as much character involvement as eu:rome had in the first place, which is considerable but absolutely not a dynasty simulator like CK is.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It really couldn’t be CK2, feudalism is a huge part of it and that makes no sense for how that timeframe works.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

CharlestheHammer posted:

It really couldn’t be CK2, feudalism is a huge part of it and that makes no sense for how that timeframe works.

You're right, only a game grounded in the economic system of feudalism could possibly be heavily character-based.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

popewiles posted:

You're right, only a game grounded in the economic system of feudalism could possibly be heavily character-based.

Nah it could work in non map based games but in map based games pretty much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
The thing that's turning me off of Imperator the most is the province count. I want to play as Rome, but I absolutely do not want to try and manage a hundred provinces to set up trade routes and governors and fiddly stuff. If there's a decent automation layer for that, I'll probably check it out, but I really do not like the trend towards higher and higher province numbers in recent paradox games