Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JackMann posted:

Trying out a new method for painting vehicles and vehicle-like minis I was shown by someone on Discord. Didn't take a whole bunch of time, and it doesn't look half bad. Still need to finish a few details (skull, hoses, rokits), but it's looking pretty good, I think.

Post the method.

What would you rate the method so far?

Looks like a good pint job, so if it was fast then nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

dmnz posted:

20 Night Goblins done.
Custom banner and pole, not sold on the freehand design, but uh, its goblins so it will do.

Better pics sometime maybe if i can be bothered setting up the light box.

These guys look great! And the entirety of the banner is nicely done. I think the wood frame looks a lot better than most banners. Does seem like a lot of weight for one little goblin to carry but whatever.

Also the free hand icon is nice, both the symbol and color choice. Nice to see stuff getting mixed up besides the usual black and yellow.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Got my Half-orc bard from Heroforge done.

I'll probably revisit him to redo the bottles, hat and feather, but over all, I'm happy with how he turned out, even if his original 'cocky MFer' expressions turned into "mildly distressed' like most of my faces do...

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Finally did a model in a weekend, been off painting for a while, apart from a few spurts. :feelsgood:

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

TheBigAristotle posted:

Finally did a model in a weekend, been off painting for a while, apart from a few spurts. :feelsgood:

Great job - way to stay focused!

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Cthulu Carl posted:

Got my Half-orc bard from Heroforge done.

I'll probably revisit him to redo the bottles, hat and feather, but over all, I'm happy with how he turned out, even if his original 'cocky MFer' expressions turned into "mildly distressed' like most of my faces do...

I don't know just how large the model is, but fixing the expression should be pretty easy, since most of it is already there in the pose and grin. A tiny adjustment of the eyes should do it, I think. Just add a bit of green as eyelids, and you get the impression that he looks down on you - a cocky mofo indeed!

Unhelpful diagram:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Post the method.

What would you rate the method so far?

Looks like a good pint job, so if it was fast then nice.

Here's the original post on Discord:

I pretty much stopped at the first paragraph. This isn't meant to be a centerpiece mini, so I didn't want to go too far on it.

It's pretty good, considering the work I put into it. Primed it black, and then hit the entire model with a Reaper MSP Blade Steel drybrush. Hit select bits with a drybrush of Vallejo Tinny Tin. Then I did the stippling with red. Stippling here means putting unthinned paint on the brush and tapping it onto the model. Keep tapping to spread it around. Do this with a brush that's already basically ruined, because it will be ruined for anything else when you're done. It's pretty good for ork vehicles because you don't expect orks to be particularly neat with their paint. Once I was done, I did just a little bit of cleaning on the bits around the red. I did some washes around the steel bits. Then I drybrushed using the blade steel again and then GW necron compound. I hit various bits with typhus corrosion and some nuln oil to make it look a bit grody there.

Probably about an hour or two of work, and all I have left are a few gubbins. Got another one last night, which means I just have one left to finish the set. It's pretty handy. I'll probably use it again when I work on other ork vehicles.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Bah, the price on the Start Collecting boxes went up. They used to be $85 for a box, but now all of them are $90 or $95. :argh:

I've been at a stand-still when it comes to making any progress on projects. I've been waiting for the humidity to drop so I can spray some some of the stuff I've assembled. I'm thinking about just testing it on a day where it's not super-high so I can see how it comes out. I was told that you want to spray on days where the humidity is in the 40%-50% range, but I'll probably have to wait until spring for that to be possible.

Weird question: Someone gave me a little container of mica eye-shadow, thinking I could use it when painting miniatures. I didn't think it would work that well, but then I had the thought of mixing it in with something like Lahmian Medium (I don't know what the non-Citadel version of that would be) to apply it to something. Do you think that would work, or would come out looking really bad?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
The non-Citadel version would be matte medium. I'm not sure how it would work, but it could be worth trying. Mix a little up, try it on a spare model or on some sprue, maybe?

Also, getting a bit closer to finishing the kanz:

Still need to paint up their hoses, and I've got some more work on those rokits. Still, not too much longer until they're done.

EDIT: Thinking on it, the mica eye shadow should work like Vallejo metallic medium. Mica is what they use in metallic paints. The first question is how fine the mica is. The finer it is, the smoother the metallic look of the paint. The second question is what else is in the eye shadow. If it's got other pigments, again, the question of how fine the pigments are. You might also need to mix in a little flow improver into the mix too.

I think it's probably not going to give you much better results than just using metallic medium (or just metallic paints in the shades you want), but you won't know until you give it a go.

JackMann fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 5, 2019

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Max Wilco posted:

Weird question: Someone gave me a little container of mica eye-shadow, thinking I could use it when painting miniatures. I didn't think it would work that well, but then I had the thought of mixing it in with something like Lahmian Medium (I don't know what the non-Citadel version of that would be) to apply it to something. Do you think that would work, or would come out looking really bad?

Are you sure it's eye shadow and not weathering powder?
Try using a sponge applicator to brush it over a black base coat and see how it looks. If you like it seal it to make it stay, if you don't strip it and try something else.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah, I didn't think of using it that way, but you should be able to use it like any other weathering pigment.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I'd say a major question is how big the mica flakes are. Mica in scale model paint is ground pretty small (especially with Scale 75 metallics), and an overly-coarse grind is going to end up looking like scale sequins on your model.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Finished my Ratbois. They were pretty fun to paint. GW's plastics have come a long way since the last time I did anything with them.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I cannot get the axe heads to stay on Boomhowler and Co models. Spent a solid few hours trying to superglue them on with a few different glues and none of them worked. Miliput did not work. How can I assemble these so I can finally finish my oldest models?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Serenade posted:

I cannot get the axe heads to stay on Boomhowler and Co models. Spent a solid few hours trying to superglue them on with a few different glues and none of them worked. Miliput did not work. How can I assemble these so I can finally finish my oldest models?

pinning

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Speaking of, anybody got any tips on how to try to ensure your drill holes are straight? I pinned my first part last night and while in the end it all worked, one of the holes ended up pretty wonky.

I think the first step is going to be replacing this incredibly cheap poo poo pin vise I bought with something decent since I think the bit is actually off-center in it.

EDIT: Well I should say "it worked" in that everything fit and I was able to apply glue, we'll see how well it really worked when I get to Vegas, I guess.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 5, 2019

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Speaking of, anybody got any tips on how to try to ensure your drill holes are straight? I pinned my first part last night and while in the end it all worked, one of the holes ended up pretty wonky.

I think the first step is going to be replacing this incredibly cheap poo poo pin vise I bought with something decent since I think the bit is actually off-center in it.

EDIT: Well I should say "it worked" in that everything fit and I was able to apply glue, we'll see how well it really worked when I get to Vegas, I guess.

I pin one end, put some blue tak on the other, fit them together so they line up where I want them, then drill where the hole in the blue tak is.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Start the hole on one part of your model.

Take some blue tac. Put it in the join (with a little water on the part that's been drilled). Squeeze the two parts together. Pull them back apart, making sure the blue tac stays with the undrilled piece.

You should now have an impression of the existing hole, which will give you the angle you need to drill the other hole.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mikey Purp posted:

Just finished this base for my 40k imperial knight helverin. Basically followed the Vince Venturella's urban ruin tutorial but tried to shift the color palette a bit towards red since my dudes are all supposed to be fighting on a Mars-like planet. The helverin itself is almost done too, I'll post him when it's all put together.

This didn't get enough attention. Holy poo poo this is incredible dude. I need to test this out myself.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

Some pinning tips:
  • Mark where you want your hole by poking the tip of your X-acto blade into the piece and twirling it around.
  • Start with a smaller bit than you need and drill a short pilot hole. If it's not aligned right, you can easily shave some away from the edges of the hole with your X-acto blade.
  • If a part is really weird, and it's hard to get the holes just right, you can always make a hole that's a little too big. When I do that, I usually mix up some gap-filling superglue (talc + superglue) to ensure a stronger bond with the pin.
I pin everything except polystyrene (mainly because plastic cement makes such a good bond). I'm currently going through a stack of guys with fragile little spears and such and replacing all the shafts with brass rod too. It's a lot sturdier, and now I won't have to worry (as much) about my space dollies getting a boo-boo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The issue was more with making sure the hole was straight once it was marked out rather than finding where to drill the hole. As in, you ideally want it to probably be perpendicular to the surface you're drilling into rather than going off at an angle.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

:negative:

The tool set for pinning / magnetizing is one of the few tool sets I don't have. Back into the 'to do' pile they go.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

The issue was more with making sure the hole was straight once it was marked out rather than finding where to drill the hole. As in, you ideally want it to probably be perpendicular to the surface you're drilling into rather than going off at an angle.

I generally don't worry about it too much, so long as it's roughly straight (I just eyeball this) and the hole starts in the right position. If I didn't get the angle quite right, it's no big deal; I'll just bend the pin to the correct angle. If it's a pin that goes completely through a part (like when I'm replacing a spear shaft and running through the model's hand), I just drill halfway through each side, and then do a final drilling all the way through from one side. It should line up pretty well then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

From Games Workshop's website, I just ordered Death Guard + Paint Set, and Intercessors + Paint Set. :toot: This is my first time painting Warhammer 40,000 figures, but last weekend I got started with painting mini's with Age of Sigmar and that was a lot of fun.

My biggest problem right now is priming my mini's with a brush. I don't have an airbrush yet but I really want to get one soon. I am looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TO578Q/?coliid=I2PKDCU3XOYKVF&colid=21XDLHC3RLL2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it as it is what a friend recommended, but am open to other recommendations.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I said come in! posted:

From Games Workshop's website, I just ordered Death Guard + Paint Set, and Intercessors + Paint Set. :toot: This is my first time painting Warhammer 40,000 figures, but last weekend I got started with painting mini's with Age of Sigmar and that was a lot of fun.

My biggest problem right now is priming my mini's with a brush. I don't have an airbrush yet but I really want to get one soon. I am looking at this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TO578Q/?coliid=I2PKDCU3XOYKVF&colid=21XDLHC3RLL2&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it as it is what a friend recommended, but am open to other recommendations.

If you're going that route get the deluxe set, the tank is worth it. Check the first page of this thead for more good airbrush info.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

For primer, just use citadel's expensive, but effective spray can primer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheBigAristotle posted:

For primer, just use citadel's expensive, but effective spray can primer

I just saw that there are spray cans for primer:downs: I am going to go down this route to start with.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012
I hope you have deep pockets.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Brinty posted:

I hope you have deep pockets.

One can will last a verrrry long time if you paint at the speed of most people. You could easily do an army with a can.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Doctor Zero posted:

One can will last a verrrry long time if you paint at the speed of most people. You could easily do an army with a can.

I ran through my can of Matt Black a lot faster than I expected, and I replaced it with Rustoleum flat black which is actually matte, takes paint better (in my opinion,) and also is available locally while also costing $6 a can. Highly recommended.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

JackMann posted:

The non-Citadel version would be matte medium. I'm not sure how it would work, but it could be worth trying. Mix a little up, try it on a spare model or on some sprue, maybe?

Also, getting a bit closer to finishing the kanz:

Still need to paint up their hoses, and I've got some more work on those rokits. Still, not too much longer until they're done.

EDIT: Thinking on it, the mica eye shadow should work like Vallejo metallic medium. Mica is what they use in metallic paints. The first question is how fine the mica is. The finer it is, the smoother the metallic look of the paint. The second question is what else is in the eye shadow. If it's got other pigments, again, the question of how fine the pigments are. You might also need to mix in a little flow improver into the mix too.

I think it's probably not going to give you much better results than just using metallic medium (or just metallic paints in the shades you want), but you won't know until you give it a go.

I have a lot of leftover sprues sitting around, so I can certainly try testing it on those.

Also, those Killer Kans looks really good, and now I want to get some of those, in addition to the fifty other things I want to get.

Bucnasti posted:

Are you sure it's eye shadow and not weathering powder?
Try using a sponge applicator to brush it over a black base coat and see how it looks. If you like it seal it to make it stay, if you don't strip it and try something else.

It's this stuff here: http://www.nakedcos.com/Heavy-Metal-04_p_137.html

I said come in! posted:

The first couple of minis I did with brush-on primer, but apart from one, they didn't seem to come out that well.

Though I haven't had a chance to use it extensively, I found that the Rustoleum 2X White Primer worked pretty well. I thought it had a bit of weird finish compared to the Citadel stuff spray, but again, I need to test it some more.

Citadel Spray is pretty expensive (at $20 USD a can direct through GW). I've only gotten one can of it so far; Mechanicus Grey, which has worked well, though it has the issue of making it difficult to tell if the whole model is primed properly if the plastic itself is the same color of grey. The upside of the sprays that I've seen is that if you decide on a specific army or faction you want to paint, you can get a can in that color and save yourself some trouble with base painting (although I've heard you still need to paint over the spray with the same color sometimes to get the right texture).

Army Painter also sells cans of spray primer, and they seem to have a wider range of colors. They don't seem to have a gold spray (whereas GW has the Retributor Armor spray), and I don't know how well colors would match between the two brands.

Also, it may be different now, but when I got the Death Guard paint box (it wasn't bundled with the minis then, only the Intercessors had paint+mini combo box), I found that the jars weren't as full as they are when you buy them individually. Then again, that could have just been a fluke with the box I bought.

Inspector_666 posted:

I ran through my can of Matt Black a lot faster than I expected, and I replaced it with Rustoleum flat black which is actually matte, takes paint better (in my opinion,) and also is available locally while also costing $6 a can. Highly recommended.

I remember looking for Rustoleum Matte Black, but I couldn't find it at the hardware store. Maybe it's something I'll have to get online.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 6, 2019

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
These are great

Picked them up at Canadian tire, like 5 cdn each

Btw if you want cheap kill team barricades the battle for hoth star wars terrain is pretty cheap and perfect for 40k.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Finished painting the kanz!

Now I just need to base and seal them and I'll have another full unit completed for my orks.

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

Doctor Zero posted:

I just meant getting into this stupid hobby in general

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Brinty posted:

I just meant getting into this stupid hobby in general
Well, the entry cost is not that hi...oh who am I kidding. I think I broke the "not buying more poo poo than I paint" over a hundred times now, paints multiply just like minis (I just have to buy the olive wash, oh right I need the purple too, oh they have iridescent paints - better get a set while they're available, and modeling putty with thin applicator, etc. etc.). And it only gets worse, spending a large sum on a top-quality airbrush might seem like investing in a tool that will last you a decade or more, but it's also an excuse: "Why not buy a whole set of 100+ dedicated airbrush paints, they're cheaper than the airbrushing setup and I'll paint faster (when I get around to it sometime next century)".

tl;dr: :shepspends: + :homebrew:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mini painting doesn't seem much more expensive than video games, and is arguably a healthier hobby unless you like sniffing the paints and glue.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

How many Heated Painting Moments are there? Probably a lot but they're not caught on camera.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Pierzak posted:

Well, the entry cost is not that hi...oh who am I kidding. I think I broke the "not buying more poo poo than I paint" over a hundred times now, paints multiply just like minis (I just have to buy the olive wash, oh right I need the purple too, oh they have iridescent paints - better get a set while they're available, and modeling putty with thin applicator, etc. etc.). And it only gets worse, spending a large sum on a top-quality airbrush might seem like investing in a tool that will last you a decade or more, but it's also an excuse: "Why not buy a whole set of 100+ dedicated airbrush paints, they're cheaper than the airbrushing setup and I'll paint faster (when I get around to it sometime next century)".

tl;dr: :shepspends: + :homebrew:

I used to think this hobby was super expensive, but now that I'm a middle aged guy with a decent job I realize how cheap it really is compared to what my peers are doing.
I feel like I spend pretty freely on models and hobby stuff these days but I haven't spent nearly as much in my entire life as some of the guys I work with spend on greens fees to golf in a single year. Or buying a dirt bike to off road, or Cochella tickets every year. And this is something I get to enjoy almost daily. My dollars to enjoyment ratio is infinitely higher than theirs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

I used to think this hobby was super expensive, but now that I'm a middle aged guy with a decent job I realize how cheap it really is compared to what my peers are doing.
I feel like I spend pretty freely on models and hobby stuff these days but I haven't spent nearly as much in my entire life as some of the guys I work with spend on greens fees to golf in a single year. Or buying a dirt bike to off road, or Cochella tickets every year. And this is something I get to enjoy almost daily. My dollars to enjoyment ratio is infinitely higher than theirs.

This is me as well, I am in my 30s but have a job that gives me a lot of financial privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was clipping off the tabs from a Chinesium resin recast recently and the smells coming out of that thing were somewhat concerning :ohdear:

I know people say to wear a mask when you're sanding down resin, but even cutting big chunks is probably killing my brain