Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Really I don't think it's much different from Chicago in that regard, with the exception that the Chicago suburbs don't completely hate the city itself like the WOW counties here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

You can shout things at him until you're black in the face, but don't count Northam out yet. He's got more under the hood than you realize.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
just took this in town

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The official truck of "I was going to enlist but..."

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I did join but some dude got in my face at bootcamp when I arrived and dad always said never let anyone treat you like that so I knocked him out cold

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I followed my orders and my orders were to quit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Got my SS gift for next year sorted

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
cool memes

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
like really bad rear end lol look at the dogge

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
covefe LMAO it's soo hilarious and that dog LMAO

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i loving LOVE memes

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

this better

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

To piggyback off of this: "Oh you have a history degree? I love the Civil War!"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

As Nero Danced posted:

It's true.

Edit: Or, "I hate how people say the Civil War was about slavery, it was actually about states' rights." :effort:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

It's true.

Edit: Or, "I hate how people say the Civil War was about slavery, it was actually about states' rights." :effort:

I love throwing back "states' rights to do what?" to see the gears start to grind.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

McNally posted:

I love throwing back "states' rights to do what?" to see the gears start to grind.

Same here, and then pepper in some quotes from the articles of secession and Confederate leaders too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A fun game to play is "Which State Said This?

My favorite quote is: "Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world."

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The combat arms branches of the Army are full of southerners that love their confederate flags.

It's the only political thing I have absolutely no problem confronting people about at work because the confederacy literally fought the US Army so that they could keep having slaves. Confronted over treason AND EO/racist bullshit? All they can do is sulk about it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Check out the book Apostles of Disunion. It's about the secession commissioners that the Confederate states sent to the state assemblies of other Southern states that had yet to secede.

They were basically saying poo poo like "if you don't leave the Union and join with us, the Yankees are going to let black men rape our women and murder the men."

Except, y'know, using much less delicate language.

It's straight up white supremacist fear mongering. That is the foundation of the Confederacy.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

As Nero Danced posted:

Alternatively,

"You have a history degree? Tell me all about X!"
"Sorry, I didn't study that area of history."
"You're bad at history and your degree is worthless!"

Also rivet counters,

"What area did you focus on?"
"Naval warfare, specifically interwar naval development and aircraft carrier development and use."
"So how fast was a Zero and how many rounds of 20mm did it carry?"
"I'm not sure, I'd have to look it up in one of my refrence books."
"You're bad at history!"

Like, I wish half the idiots that blathered about that kind of poo poo knew roughly 50% of history is being able to know where to find reliable info and being able to cite it correctly. I'm not bitter.

Mustang posted:

The combat arms branches of the Army are full of southerners that love their confederate flags.

It's the only political thing I have absolutely no problem confronting people about at work because the confederacy literally fought the US Army so that they could keep having slaves. Confronted over treason AND EO/racist bullshit? All they can do is sulk about it.

I remember some dipshit that was my battle for a ROTC training thing at Ft. Knox started whining when we were walking on Sherman road or some poo poo (maybe it was a Sherman statue, idk it was 11 years ago) about how much he hated Sherman. This black drill instructor that was with us overhears him, turns around and yells at him to shut up because Sherman is the reason why he's here today. It was funny.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Alternatively,

"You have a history degree? Tell me all about X!"
"Sorry, I didn't study that area of history."
"You're bad at history and your degree is worthless!"

Also rivet counters,

"What area did you focus on?"
"Naval warfare, specifically interwar naval development and aircraft carrier development and use."
"So how fast was a Zero and how many rounds of 20mm did it carry?"
"I'm not sure, I'd have to look it up in one of my refrence books."
"You're bad at history!"

Like, I wish half the idiots that blathered about that kind of poo poo knew roughly 50% of history is being able to know where to find reliable info and being able to cite it correctly. I'm not bitter.

This goes for like any field. People confuse factoid regurgitation for competency.

No I don’t know exactly what that microorganism or receptor does offhand, but I know how to find out and how to interpret that information into something usable when I do.

I think it’s partially the fault of lazy writing in tv and movies where the way to show someone is competent is to have them barf up a thing from Wikipedia in a very matter of fact voice.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
In F Spencer Chapman's book The Jungle Is Neutral about WWII stay behind parties in Malaysia, he describes how the Chinese guerillas had a huge respect for higher learning, and he thinks his degree impressed them more than his military rank.

But they had a super love affair with dry factual (add especially numerical) knowledge. He could be trying to train them on some machine gun or other weaponry, and what they wanted to know how much it weighed, how many rounds per minute it fired, exactly what the effective range was, etc etc. And any instructor who couldn't rattle those off off the top of his head? Pfff obviously didn't know what he was talking about and they'd tune right out.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Probably because 90% of schooling before your junior/senior year of college is mostly just memorizing facts and sometimes putting together an argument at the end of the semester.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/sgtjanedoe/status/1092913712246198272?s=21

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
you're also not supposed to render a hand salute indoors unless reporting to a commander or under arms and poo poo, disgusting

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

mods changed my name posted:

you're also not supposed to render a hand salute indoors unless reporting to a commander or under arms and poo poo, disgusting

Never without a cover on.

And covers are removed indoors.

:smug:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
yes, except in those situations that I stipulated

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

From what I’ve seen just about every reserve component does formations w/ covers on indoors. :smug:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

mods changed my name posted:

yes, except in those situations that I stipulated

Not for the Navy. :smug:

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

ded posted:

Not for the Navy. :smug:

:smug: :respek: :smug:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

lol what a loving goober

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Handsome Ralph posted:

lol what a loving goober

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

DoktorLoken posted:

From what I’ve seen just about every reserve component does formations w/ covers on indoors. :smug:

yea, well they gotta be able to wear it some time otherwise it's just wasted money

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
that's pretty much the same excuse for the entirety of the military anymore

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im at a loss right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Speaking of stolen valor, this happened on my local bus route here in Toronto. I didn't shoot this video or have anything to do with the situation, but I have met this guy and he always struck me as full of poo poo. He hangs around local music venues in fatigues with questionable rank insignia and dumbass moto patches, and talks a whole bunch of trash. He spotted my 5.11 boots or backpack or something once and went on a tirade of unsolicited 'tactical advice' that even I as a civilian knew was bullshit but I played along because he's clearly unhinged and I've seen him get aggressive and threatening before. He's told friends of mine wildly different 'career stories' including being in Delta Force, or "a Private in JTF2," lol. His FB profile is littered with vanity poses with airsoft guns and CoD 'ghost' masks.

Anyway I figured you guys would get a kick out of this. I'm already 99% sure he's a phony, but at the end of this video he states his 'military ID' and I don't know enough to know if that sounds fake. Thoughts?