Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Krispy Wafer posted:

I’ve listened to Smartest Guys in the Room and yes, it was great. Another good one is There Must be a Pony in Here Somewhere about the AOL/Time Warner merger. I’ve still got The Big Short to get through.

Just added When Genius Failed to my wish list.

There is a podcast called Business Wars that covers this sort of material. They have picked interesting stories to present. Napster vs record labels, Red Bull vs Monster, coke vs Pepsi, Netflix vs Blockbuster, a bunch more it’s quite prolific.

But I find Wondery podcasts only sorta good. I like that they are well-produced, but they have these over-the-top reenactments that I eventually found so annoying I stopped listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

CmdrRiker posted:

Isn't the majority of a vehicle's depreciation towards the beginning of the life of the loan and over time the depreciation rate becomes less noticeable on the car's diminishing value? I don't think it's actually that dumb of a move, but it would depend a lot on the vehicle and the market's affect on the depreciation rate.

Buyers will be under water on the loan for that much longer, so you’ll end up with a lot of people rolling over negative equity when they decide that it’s too much trouble to do maintenance on their five year old car, or because they simply can’t have a car with such antiquated technology.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Switchback posted:

There is a podcast called Business Wars that covers this sort of material. They have picked interesting stories to present. Napster vs record labels, Red Bull vs Monster, coke vs Pepsi, Netflix vs Blockbuster, a bunch more it’s quite prolific.

But I find Wondery podcasts only sorta good. I like that they are well-produced, but they have these over-the-top reenactments that I eventually found so annoying I stopped listening.

Yeah, I only listened to a couple of the episodes of Netflix v. Blockbuster/HBO.

It was okay, but you're right about Wondery. I did LOVE Dr. Death though.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

CmdrRiker posted:

Isn't the majority of a vehicle's depreciation towards the beginning of the life of the loan and over time the depreciation rate becomes less noticeable on the car's diminishing value? I don't think it's actually that dumb of a move, but it would depend a lot on the vehicle and the market's affect on the depreciation rate.

The slower the amortization of the loan due to a long repayment term, the deeper underwater the loan is following that rapid depreciation and the longer it remains underwater. The longer the repayment term, the riskier the loan is due to the spread between the loan principal and the value of the vehicle. On a 24 month or 36 month loan with a substantial down payment, there is no significant underwater period of the loan for most cars which is the reason why you can get fantastic interest rates.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

CmdrRiker posted:

Which makes it even worse for the bank as their asset won't cover the principle on the loan that much faster.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Also if the borrowers car gets totaled 4 years after purchase you can bet they're not getting much from insurance and then have to roll the remaining half of their loan balance into their next loans balance, which basically turbo fucks them. Imagine making payments on a vehicle that you don't even have anymore for 4 years on top of a second car payment.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SpartanIvy posted:

Imagine making payments on a vehicle that you don't even have anymore for 4 years on top of a second car payment.

Wait 3 years and I'll tell you how it feels!

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

Also if the borrowers car gets totaled 4 years after purchase you can bet they're not getting much from insurance and then have to roll the remaining half of their loan balance into their next loans balance, which basically turbo fucks them. Imagine making payments on a vehicle that you don't even have anymore for 4 years on top of a second car payment.

Don’t forget to buy GAP and roll that cost into the loan. The Financial institution I work for always has the loan officer extol the benefits of GAP and an extended warranty to the would be buyer.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2019/02/05/parking-ticket-2million-lost-profits-lawsuit-vancouver/

More content from the geniuses in our Vancouver real estate industry.

quote:

Khalil, who is representing himself, claims he got a parking ticket from the City of Vancouver in June 2018. He claims he unsuccessfully disputed the ticket before an adjudicator at a hearing in September 2018.

Later, the city issued a bylaw violation notice for Khalil to pay even though he was appealing the ticket. He claims he put the city “on notice” that it was “delinquent” in providing requested information and claims that collection attempts violated the Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act.

“Despite such notice and caution, the City engaged the defendant on its behalf to pursue collection remedies against the plaintiff,” the claim states.

Khalil claims Collectcents then reported him to Equifax for the alleged $175 debt, which lowered his credit score from 707 to 601. At the time, Khalil claims he was a partner in a Calgary property development project and had been conditionally approved for a $21.9 million credit facility from non-party MCAP Mortgage Corp. related to the financing of the project. The money “was contingent on the plaintiff’s credit score being equal to or greater than 680,” the claim states.

“Upon discover and due diligence, MCAP discovered the plaintiff’s credit rating was below the required threshold, and as such, cancelled the approval for said credit facility,” Khalil claims. “Without said credit facility, the plaintiff is unable to participate in said development project.”

Khalil seeks orders directing credit agencies to remove Collectcents’ report from his score, a judgment of $1,906,000, equal to his estimated share of profits from the Calgary property development, and $100,000 in punitive damages. Khalil’s allegations have not been tested or proven in court and Collectcents had not filed a response to the claim by press time.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Lmao I hope he loses

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
If the investors end up taking a loss on development of the property, would it be improper to send a thank you card to the collection agency that tanked his credit?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Sometimes, your credit score is exactly like a video game

Game over

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah, I only listened to a couple of the episodes of Netflix v. Blockbuster/HBO.

It was okay, but you're right about Wondery. I did LOVE Dr. Death though.

I've listened to plenty of true crime podcasts. Dr. Death was one of the few I wasn't able to stomach the descriptions of the crimes. Dirty John is really good, if you haven't heard the story already.

quote:

My Chevrolet Equinox is a financial nightmare. Help!

Hello, it's my first post to Reddit, so please be kind! I'm hoping to get some financial advice on my current situation regarding my car. I currently (and rather begrudgingly) own a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox LT which has been a financial nightmare since I purchased it in 2015. The car currently has about 120,000 miles on it and the timing chain is stretched out, the StabiliTrak hasn't worked for years, and when the dealership hooks up the code reader about 12 different codes pop up. At one point the dealership told me that with all of the the repairs it would take well over $4,000 to make the car truly roadworthy again. The car eventually died last August and I am at a total loss as to what to do with it while it just sits in my parking lot. Here are some quick numbers in regards to my situation:

-I owe $6950 -KBB values the trade-in at $4100 and $6500 (if it's in good shape- mechanically it is far from good shape.) -To fix the timing chain alone will run about $1200 to $3000+ and the StabiliTrak will run about another $1000. StabiliTrak isn't necessarily a priority- I've been driving without it in this car for about 3 years.

With all of the issues I've had with this vehicle and in doing some research to find out what other owners of this model are going through- I plan to buy a certified preowned and more reliable 2016 MB C300 next month. I'm hoping some of you can give me advice on what to do. Thankfully I'm able to pay off the current car with our savings and still have an ample amount left over, and with a new car on the way, I'm not in any rush to get this one fixed. Is it financially advisable to pay off the Equinox and then spend another $1200-$3000+ to then just turn around and sell it at a loss of about $2000-$4000?

I guess I'm at a loss for ideas and I want to make the most financially responsible choice possible.

Everyone is telling him that the most responsible choice is definitely NOT a German luxury car.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

seems like another perfect case for a miata

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
As a Miata (ND) owner, can confirm. Is always the answer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Taking your out-of-warranty vehicle to a dealership for service or repairs is definitely BWM.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Can someone tell me how the gently caress a timing chain stretches?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

22 Eargesplitten posted:

All metal fatigues, chains stretch over time.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 18, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Poor lubrication mostly. It's not stretching so much as the joints in the links are getting hogged out.

This was a major issue on many popular motors as a manufacturing defect (GM 2.2l comes to mind) because the oil galley was undersized. But it will happen on anything if you don't change your drat oil.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yup. Timing chains typically have much longer service lives than belts, and the failure mode is sometimes stretching which tends to not catastrophically destroy your engine the way a timing belt can (if you have a collision head, which not all cars have).

120k miles seems like a really short amount of time, though. And a little googling suggests this vehicle does indeed have severe premature timing chain issues including chain guides, and the chain actually snapping and in some cases destroying the engine.

What a piece of poo poo.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

And a little googling suggests this vehicle does indeed have severe premature timing chain issues including chain guides, and the chain actually snapping and in some cases destroying the engine.

What a piece of poo poo.

GM gonna GM.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The gist of it is, Equinox owners should religiously check their oil, and not just every 3000 miles, but like, every gas fillup. Because it will suddenly start consuming oil, without losing oil pressure so no idiot light, and after a few hundred miles of low oil the chain snaps and you need a new engine. This lady is actually lucky to only need the timing chain replaced.

On top of that, though, is the KBB she reports of $4100-6500 trade-in value even if the thing worked perfectly. That is a pretty severely amount of depreciation for an 8 year old car with just 120k miles on it?

But also don't just trade in your old car, because trade-in values can really suck. Buy your replacement car and then sell your old car private party.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

JFC, and I thought the slow oil consumption on camrys was a PITA. At least with those the idiot light will come on eventually under acceleration/deceleration. Buying GM is BWM.

Are any modern engines non-interference anymore? I figured that probably disappeared 20 years ago in the quest for better efficiency/power in a given displacement.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think there are still a few around, but they're increasingly rare.

My 2003 Mazda Protege5 has a non-interference engine, but that's probably not what you'd consider "modern" anymore.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Motronic posted:

GM gonna GM.

My first new car purchase was defined by owning so many 1990s GM products and saying “I didn’t go to college to own another lovely American car.”

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

same. the tiny trunk is gwm because a horse can't fit in it.

It's BWM because now all my guns are either SBRs or takedown models

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

How do guns depreciate? I've heard that rednecks are kinda GWM because when they're flush they buy guns and guitars, which supposedly hold resale value better than other durable goods.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

TVsVeryOwn posted:

How do guns depreciate? I've heard that rednecks are kinda GWM because when they're flush they buy guns and guitars, which supposedly hold resale value better than other durable goods.

Ehh some guns appreciate, most hold their value or lose slightly. It really depends on the model and location. An average joes Glock he bought 10 years ago and shot a few rounds through every year is gonna be worth about 10-20% less than a new one. Less if it’s been bubba’d. That high end over/under that you got for duck hunting is not gonna lose much if any at all. If it’s a relatively rare model or something that gets featured in a movie/tv series (I’m looking at you Python) then you could see serious appreciation.

That Troy Landry special edition 10/22 is gonna be worth exactly jack poo poo in 10 years just like those commemorative limited edition silver coins you see advertised on late night infomercials.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
AR15s are the Honda Civics of guns in many ways, though. Glue a $20 to your AR15 and its value goes up $10.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

AR15s are the Honda Civics of guns in many ways, though. Glue a $20 to your AR15 and its value goes up $10.

Until Hillary 2.0 gets elected in 2020 and they get banned. Then they’re worth double 😑

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Don't forget military surplus stuff. Mosins that you could buy for $45 at Big 5 15 years ago are going for $250 now.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

same. the tiny trunk is gwm because a horse can't fit in it.

Unless you're talking about heroin, in which case we have a reason to stop by TCC.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Leperflesh posted:

The gist of it is, Equinox owners should religiously check their oil, and not just every 3000 miles, but like, every gas fillup. Because it will suddenly start consuming oil, without losing oil pressure so no idiot light, and after a few hundred miles of low oil the chain snaps and you need a new engine. This lady is actually lucky to only need the timing chain replaced.

On top of that, though, is the KBB she reports of $4100-6500 trade-in value even if the thing worked perfectly. That is a pretty severely amount of depreciation for an 8 year old car with just 120k miles on it?

But also don't just trade in your old car, because trade-in values can really suck. Buy your replacement car and then sell your old car private party.

100% chance that person did not maintain that car correctly

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Guest2553 posted:

Unless you're talking about heroin, in which case we have a reason to stop by TCC.

Addictions are extremely BWM. Posters in the last iteration of the Kratom thread had spent tens of thousands of dollars on buying 10ml bottles of a special tincture from one vendor's website.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

100% chance that person did not maintain that car correctly

They definitely didn't, but it's a GM so it would be having issues either way.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My roommate doesn't even keep up on his oil changes on his '07 CTS, it's a complete garbage heap. Now he wants to put it in storage to fix up for his son (who is still a baby so at least he has a decade and a half to learn how to do any of it) and get a loan on a brand new Escalade. I'm trying to convince him it's a terrible idea. He's generally not terrible with money, he's just got some leftover status symbol garbage stuck in his head from a poor upbringing. For some reason he has a lot of respect for me, so I'm hoping to snap him out of it.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/TweetsofOld/status/1092870335081385986

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

$2.50 for horse detailing comes out to about $72 today according to Google. Honestly I expected worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i really don't get how people fail to keep up on oil changes which are a) predictable b) inexpensive and c) prevent catastrophic failures of extremely expensive parts of your car