Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

blender is the vim of 3d programs. simply the worst.

:%s/worst/best/g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

keyboard vomit posted:

lol meetups

Two hours of people you'll only see once asking "so where do you work"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

thanks I hate it

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zlodo posted:

i remember a time when blender's ui was a laughing stock
I think blender has supposedly been working on trying to improve the UI recently.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

There will never be a feature-rich 3D suite with good UI. It's just impossible

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i... what...

guys nothing's making sense any more. i think i'm having a stroke here. he;lp

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

seriously my eyes just kind of skid over the image when i try to focus on it. i'm glad the timecube guy was finally able to find work... i guess... ???

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
will someone please turn off that toaster already!!!

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sagebrush posted:

like, if i see a cool vintage car parked in front of someone's house in america, and i go up and start checking it out and taking pictures and whatnot (not touching), chances are that the guy will come out and say "hey, you like it? let me tell you about it!" and we'll start talking about cars.

ah, you're white then

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BMan posted:

There will never be a feature-rich 3D suite with good UI. It's just impossible

yes

but at the same time there's a hierarchy, like the levels of hell or something. some interfaces are only irritating while others cause actual brain damage

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmao

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

mechanical turkish coffee

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

note also the overlapping ui elements in solidworks, a $4000/a piece of software

fusion 360 is $500 a year, though it's free if you aren't using it to make money

rhino is the cleanest, lightest and most reliable software of the three and it costs $200 for a full commercial unlimited non-expiring license

i think solidworks is trying to do that "ribbon" bullshit MS office did except they didn't quite figure out that it's not just "make it much taller but keep the buttons the same size and just put way more of them"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also that raytheon thing is fake, thank god.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

also that raytheon thing is fake, thank god.

lol

i had to check too

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

if it were real I wouldn't be alive to post right now

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Introducing the AGM-420 JSOwO. The AGM-420 carries 6 BLU-69 submunitions and provides a multi-target glomping capability from standoff range

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

UnfurledSails posted:

i guess i'm the tech bubble. Is there anywhere worth living anymore? I was @ stanford for 5 years, nyc for a year, and now seattle for almost 3 working for amzn and never didnt feel lonely and alienated. Spent the last 8 months writing code for migrating from one db to another I guess the figgies are nice but the more time passes the more i think its not worth it emotionally

i got the financial means to go anywhere in the world and do something with my life but ive honestly got no clue

How about the Netherlands or Portugal?
Portugal has a "golden visa" thing going on which recently drew quite a few companies there. It has quite a solid start up scene. VW and Mercedes also started an Innovation Center (whatever that means) and some incubators are based there too.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

i need that picture of that guy on stage talking about how business is the new punk rock that was posted here recently tia

i need it because i've just seen that this is the keynote at GDC:

aardvaard fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 5, 2019

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
we're born mobile

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

aardvaard posted:

i need that picture of that guy on stage talking about how business is the new punk rock that was posted here recently tia

nothing is more punk than being sponsored by Amazon

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Midjack posted:

mechanical turkish coffee

graph, title change plz

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

aardvaard posted:

It wasn't just business, it was HR

HR punks

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

note also the overlapping ui elements in solidworks, a $4000/a piece of software

when you get into specialized software that costs 4/5/6 figgies per-seat it's pretty much a given that the price is inversely proportional to how intuitive the ui is

mostly because most of that software dates back to the 80s or 90s and originally required a $10k+ workstation

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Sagebrush posted:

It wasn't just business, it was HR

HR punks

thank you friend

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The_Franz posted:

when you get into specialized software that costs 4/5/6 figgies per-seat it's pretty much a given that the price is inversely proportional to how intuitive the ui is

mostly because most of that software dates back to the 80s or 90s and originally required a $10k+ workstation

also because if you can drop that much on licenses then training is a meaningless line item

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

itym $50k+ workstation

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
ea earnings report is a fat wet turd

quote:

EA's latest quarterly fiscal report included a stark admission: Battlefield V's sales fell way below expectations. This, combined with a severe drop in mobile-gaming revenue, led EA's executives to admit that they were "disappointed in our underperfomance" in fiscal Q3 2019.

BFV's sales to date, according to EA COO and CFO Blake Jorgensen, have reached 7.3 million copies across all platforms worldwide, which the company says is "one million less" than it had indicated in previous Q3 2019 guidance. Jorgensen didn't mince words: he blamed the drop in the series' uptake by the developers' focus on a single-player campaign, as opposed to having a promised battle royale mode ready for fans in time for the game's launch.

EA CEO Andrew Wilson took the opportunity to confirm that BFV's battle royale mode, currently dubbed Firestorm, will launch in March of this year. Wilson did not offer further details about any monetization strategy for that mode; it currently requires that consumers buy the game's retail edition, much like the battle royale mode found in Activision's multiplayer-only game Call of Duty: Black Ops 4. (That Activision game includes additional microtransactions in its battle royale mode.)

In addition to a lack of uptake on new mobile game Command and Conquer Rivals, EA also cited one delayed mobile game and "changes to broaden Madden Mobile's appeal" that "failed" to drive monetization. The company's net bookings for mobile-only products dropped in Q3 2019 to $142 million, compared to $183 million in the same quarter in fiscal year 2018—a drop of over 23 percent.
but dont worry ea has some kickass ideas in the pipeline that will blow your loving mind

quote:

EA confirmed that a range of console-specific games is expected to launch by year's end, including a new Plants vs. Zombies "shooter," a new game in the Need for Speed series, and the Respawn-developed Star Wars game Jedi: Fallen Order. An additional Titanfall-related game is also slated to launch by year's end, but Wilson would not offer any further details about what shape that game might take (meaning: a remake of an existing Titanfall game isn't yet out of the question).
oooooh a plants vs zombies shooter! very fresh and relevant, you can always count on ea to have its fingers on the pulse of our fast-moving popular culture

FMguru fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 6, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

FMguru posted:

oooooh a plants vs zombies shooter! very fresh and relevant, you can always count on ea to have its fingers on the pulse of out fast-moving popular culture

This already existed, I thought

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BMan posted:

This already existed, I thought

I see you've picked up on EA's core business model

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

aardvaard posted:

you’re in luck - it came from the thread that spawned off that tweet

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

FMguru posted:

ea earnings report is a fat wet turd
but dont worry ea has some kickass ideas in the pipeline that will blow your loving mind

oooooh a plants vs zombies shooter! very fresh and relevant, you can always count on ea to have its fingers on the pulse of our fast-moving popular culture

Oh, if only the devs had included yet another halfassed battle royale mode, Battlefield would have been the next Fortnite!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Madden royale

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

LanceHunter posted:

Oh, if only the devs had included yet another halfassed battle royale mode, Battlefield would have been the next Fortnite!
e: nevermind im a moron and that was :thejoke:

holy lmao ea is bad

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Feb 6, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

what really kills me about ea is that because they own the star wars license, we will never get another x-wing or tie fighter sim-lite game like back in the old days. just more third-person arcade poo poo forever.

i want a spergy tie fighter "simulator" with 200 clickable buttons and switches in the cockpit and a startup procedure about as deep as the planes in DCS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85YXwO20CIY&t=12s

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

i want a spergy tie fighter "simulator" with 200 clickable buttons and switches in the cockpit and a startup procedure about as deep as the planes in DCS
careful - this was the original pitch for star citizen (minus the star wars ip)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

military industrial glomplex

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

would have been helpful for the 'lets learn blender' thread like 6 months ago

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

careful - this was the original pitch for star citizen (minus the star wars ip)

yeah, feature creep among sim grognards is a major problem. you need developers who are willing to tell them to shut up and gently caress off.

back when il-2 cliffs of dover was being developed, i used to read their forums, and the stuff people were demanding was absolutely insane. one guy wanted every bullet impact on your plane to be rendered into the skin so that over the course of a campaign your plane would get worn out -- but realistically. no fake bullet holes or made-up damage!! another guy wanted there to be cows in the fields that would scatter realistically when you flew low over them, and by the way here is a paper describing herding behavior so all you have to do is write the simulation algorithm, the hard part is already done. another person wanted there to be a minigame where if you were shot down over france you'd have to sneak you way past german patrols, get into a life raft, sail across the english channel, and spend time in a hospital recuperating before you could fly again.

anyway the star wars ip is like 90% of the value, here. there are lots of spergy space sims but i want to fly a tie fighter, goddammit. the biggest thing missing from spergy sims is a reason to do anything in them, and the star wars universe and story fills that need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Midjack posted:

military industrial glomplex

lol

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, feature creep among sim grognards is a major problem. you need developers who are willing to tell them to shut up and gently caress off.

back when il-2 cliffs of dover was being developed, i used to read their forums, and the stuff people were demanding was absolutely insane. one guy wanted every bullet impact on your plane to be rendered into the skin so that over the course of a campaign your plane would get worn out -- but realistically. no fake bullet holes or made-up damage!! another guy wanted there to be cows in the fields that would scatter realistically when you flew low over them, and by the way here is a paper describing herding behavior so all you have to do is write the simulation algorithm, the hard part is already done. another person wanted there to be a minigame where if you were shot down over france you'd have to sneak you way past german patrols, get into a life raft, sail across the english channel, and spend time in a hospital recuperating before you could fly again.

anyway the star wars ip is like 90% of the value, here. there are lots of spergy space sims but i want to fly a tie fighter, goddammit. the biggest thing missing from spergy sims is a reason to do anything in them, and the star wars universe and story fills that need

yeah x-wing and tie fighter owned and really got me into computer games. a new tie fighter could be so so good but gently caress EA

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 6, 2019